Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 16, 2019 9:56 AM

Jul 2015
Holy, fucking, shit, that's an episode to be remembered for a long time, so many incredible scenes, the reactions from the characters in horror, surprise, fear, Harry killing Brandon in the elevator, oh god.
Aug 10, 2019 9:01 PM
Jul 2018
wow! last couple of episodes were barely 3/5 at best but this was 5/5 episode and best episode since episode 3. that long elevator scene almost had me giant sweat. Even I could see their betrayal was inevitable (that had been so many foreshadowing) (skipped ep1) still that scene really awed me especially how well-executed. Anyhow hoping the show gets better from here not to mention has a long way to go.
Oct 15, 2019 5:39 AM

Sep 2019
Hell no, now she's pregnant with the old man's child. Kill me rn
Jan 2, 2020 5:18 PM

Jul 2013
I still can't digest that Big Daddy went "Woody Allen" on Maria, but now that Brandon is dead it looks like a pointless detail.

One of the best episodes so far. The elevator scene was well-crafted and full of tension.
Apr 19, 2020 4:46 PM

Nov 2016
Imagine the shockfactor without having read the synopsis and having seen episode one. That would've been one hell of a twist... almost. I can only imagine how it could've been without the explicit foreshadowing, but with that knowledge it was too easy to pick everyhting up along the way.

The build up has been pretty great, tho. Harry who became determined to get rid of everyone standing in his way learned about Brandons loyality to the organisation. The former already showed what he's capable off. With an ambition and narcissism so grand, of course he wouldn't shy away from killing his former best friend. Absolutely ruthless.

And how gripping and powerful the portrayal was. Two friends reminiscing about their past, who grew even more and more distant over the course of the episode, along with the melancholy in the air, that was really nicely done.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 25, 2020 8:17 PM

Jun 2019
I have an admittedly difficult time understanding Harry's motivation up to this point in all this. He talks about having the desire to possess everything - like money, objects, influence and such, and with that the power to give them away to whom he chooses at will. To live lavishly and pour his wealth back out into the world in the manner he sees fit. In this very episode he mentions a plan to purchase the orphanage where he and Brandon grew up in the slum to give the kids there a better life and chance at a future. And I believe him. He would do it not just out of altruism or the more direct kind of empathy, but also a sense of vanity and pride. And that's most, if not all people - there is always a certain degree of selfishness and vanity inherent to charity. Of wanting to be seen a certain way by society and being able to see yourself as a benevolent figure. For those who derive their personal sense of self-worth and elevation from the dopaminergic feedback obtained through social approval.

But the point is, he would basically live large, shower Walken's daughter, the girl he's courting, with items of privilege and status, and also have a public face as a philanthropist. It isn't like he's a sadist who would just torture people for kicks or something. So what motivates this drive to carry out a coup? Because everything I described above seem like things he's able to do now. What does he want to do that he can't do in his current position? He has millions of dollars/yen/"yules". He can live in a mansion and drive fancy sports cars, marry whom he wants, and bankroll whichever organizations of his choosing even now. So what would taking the boss' position allow him to do that he doesn't already have access to?

That's what I don't get or don't really see as having been detailed or explained in the dialogue so far. Maybe it will be later.

This series is often compared to Berserk (I believe it's still the top corresponding recommendation) and with that Harry is compared to Griffith and the relationship between Harry and Brandon compared to that of the one between Griffith and Guts. But in Berserk,

Maybe, even if on a smaller scale, it's also something Harry craved since boyhood, but if so I'd like it better explained.

WatchTillTandavaMay 25, 2020 8:25 PM
Jun 17, 2020 9:34 PM

Oct 2019
This was the turning point the show. Harry for no better reason kills Brandon, just because he was desperate to climb high but the biggest shock was Maria had the old man's child. I heard from now on the show will become some sci-fi terminator show but whatever I will have to see when will Brandon come back and most importantly what will become of Maria and her child.

Jun 18, 2020 5:43 PM

Mar 2016
Yeah, I was expecting the betrayal, but I did not though he was the one who was going to pull the trigger. Also, it's confirmed the woman in the first episode was Maria and Big Daddy's daughter.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Aug 23, 2020 2:58 PM
May 2020
OMG THAT WAS GREAT!

Harry, i hate you so much!
Oct 23, 2020 8:47 PM
Jul 2018
Brandon deserves death after all the stupid shit he did to Maria and to himself at least harry is logical but a fucking snake
Nov 30, 2020 5:14 AM

Mar 2020
So Brandon and Harry were childhood friends. I knew they had a close relationship because of how devoted Brandon was in following Harry, but they could have done a better job of setting that up from the outset. Trigun is guilty of a similar thing

I was originally going to comment that the light/dark motif in the elevator didn't work as a metaphor since Brandon and Harry are both pretty terrible people, but I wasn't expecting it to be so robust. The obvious interpretation as the scene went on was that Brandon would be going towards the light while Harry continued to live on in the darkness, but it also serves to illustrate how different they were in the end. Harry's bravado and superficial charm hid the evil within him, whereas Brandon's cold and calculating exterior concealed some degree of nobility and honour (which is also reflected through the suits they were wearing).

Despite my initial criticisms, the first episode did a great job at making Brandon's fate seem more looming and ominous, even if it was at the expense of the viewer. We all knew Harry would be the one to take Brandon's life, but speculating about when he would do it really went a long way in getting me hooked on this show. I typically juggle between watching two anime at a time, but ever since this show started getting good I haven't been able to pick up anything else. I'm really excited to see where the series heads from here.
May 5, 2021 8:29 PM
Jan 2021
Brandon joined organisation for Harry & Maria. He left Marai to Old Dude & chose organization over Harry.
People are saying these 2 eps are great (in terms of direction Maybe) but for me this was dumbest ep in terms of plot twist . Main character acting against his orignal motivations.
It is shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.
Dune
May 19, 2021 3:30 AM

May 2020
Man, that elevator scene was amazing. As a whole, this anime isn't particularly spectacular but when it has its good moments, they are always amazing.
Jul 23, 2021 6:37 AM
Aug 2018
To me it's simply the end of the story. Any other following episodes are a massive destruction of what was an interesting scenario. I mean, Harry realized that Brandon wouldn't be an obstacle or a menace to his life and ambition. It is the powerful anger towards daddy's decision projected on B. Heat. Nothing else. As I said before, that is the downfalls beginning. In terms of quality. It's the first time that a 5☆ anime ended up with a 1☆.
May 6, 2022 1:06 AM
Jul 2014
holy. one of best anime episodes ever
Feb 12, 2023 8:46 AM
Feb 2023
Amazing episode. Highly recommend watching show
Apr 15, 2023 5:14 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Actually insane episode, the best one so far imo, Harry is starting his domination plans for real now that another boss has been chosen and that it is someone random (at least for what the story showed)... and the 2nd part was incredible, how nostalgic and sad to be remembered of Harry and Brandon original story, how everything debuted as two orphans kids, their previously deceased friends and especially how Harry started to even forget about his friends because of his will of power... and the scene that happened right after that in the elevator was sure something, now it's the beginning of the truly insane Brandon we saw in EP1 I believe, basically being revived as undead by Harry for his domination plans and it won't go exactly as he planned I hope.
Aug 10, 2023 10:08 AM
Jan 2021
Alas86 said:
What was the twist? Haven't you guys seen the first episode?
Nope. And that was a good decision.
Sep 4, 2023 3:24 PM

Jan 2023
this episode is insane, from beginning to end
Sep 25, 2023 8:26 PM

Dec 2022
Had to laugh at Maria getting knocked up with Big Daddy's kid. I know Advanced paternal age isn't common knowledge, so no one pays much mind to it, but when did she become attracted to him? Brandon not being remotely tempted of going along with Harry's ambition of killing Big Daddy is perplexing, at least as a way to make up for being cuckolded by a wrinkly old man. Maria even deliberately goaded Harry at one point by repeating herself about how she loved Big Daddy, then further insinuating that she was pregnant while she was caressing her belly.

Brandon has to be one of the dumbest protagonists I've seen in a long time, especially for someone who is supposed to be a desensitised killer. Outside of combat, he's completely incapable of making rational or perceptive decisions, even when the writing is on the wall. I'm assuming he gets necrolyzed after this, which will at least remove that hesitancy issue he has. How he didn't shoot Harry after he realised that the two people he joined Millennion for (Maria and Harry) ditched him is beyond me. If Brandon is a person whose reticent character harbours "strong emotions", then the emotion of anger should've erupted by then with all the lethality he previously dispatched enemies to Millennion with. It's not as if he was any closer with Harry at this point than he was Maria, so dropping his gun and moping pathetically on the floor is glaringly out of character.

Shaded Horizon

Dec 23, 2023 6:25 AM
Oct 2020
I’m assuming episode one spoils all this suspense and build up, which is why people tell you to skip it. I didn’t see that coming, lmfao. I hate harry so much!
Mar 31, 3:08 PM
Dec 2023
IM SO SAD I AM SO UPSET WHAT
Apr 1, 11:13 PM
May 2017
It was a great episode. The nostalgia, the bleak atmosphere, and the despair.
Yesterday, 11:29 AM

Jun 2015
I have wondered since episode one why Harry would betray Brandon. Now I know why. I suspected as much since Harry started to let his unholy ambitions show.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 3 Discussion

Beatnik - Apr 9, 2009

30 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 11, 4:25 PM

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tzuno - Jul 11, 2009

112 by Kayarbee70 »»
Apr 7, 6:14 PM

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 25 Discussion

Tzuno - Jul 11, 2009

31 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 3, 9:59 PM

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 24 Discussion

Tzuno - Jul 11, 2009

46 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 3, 9:33 PM

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 23 Discussion

TitanioVerde - Sep 16, 2009

24 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 3, 12:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.