Forum Settings
Forums

What country is the Most TOLERANT in Asia?

New
Apr 17, 2009 6:44 PM

May 2008
Let's see y'all Asia experts duke it out.
I kinda wanted to make this topic for a while.

Well it's commonly said by people at anime forums that Japan is a pretty racist country. With the other minority voice say "well, it's not THAT bad". Blahblahblah, argument for infinity about all sorts of politicians and the average business versus Japanese only signs.

And then people will also be liek, "omg, I've been to South Korea, it's just as bad and/or worse" and that the Koreans have a strong sense of racism and homogeny just like Japan, blahblahblah. Very very racist, ect.

And oh what about China? Han ethnicity be oppressing everybody! Leave those Tibetans and Mongolians and foreigners alone!

How about that more Western Asia, Russia? Full of White Nationalists everywhere I hear! Slava!

And Southeast Asia is just of course filled with dictatorships and all sorts of ethnic racism of sorts. Ketuanan Melayu!

Oh and what about Turkey? Why, there just be a bunch of radical Turanists everywhere!

And let's not forget how the Arab world in general is supposed to be filled with a bunch of extremists, non-moderate Muslims who are extremely racist, sexist, homophobic, and bigoted in general.

So I want you, especially those who have gone out to say a certain Asian country is racist, Japan or otherwise, to tell me what the most TOLERANT country in Asia is.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 17, 2009 6:46 PM

Jun 2007
Remove pin from grenade, throw and then stand well back...
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Apr 17, 2009 6:48 PM

Aug 2008
Racism is everywhere. I'm sorry. You cannot avoid it. :p
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Apr 17, 2009 6:50 PM

Jun 2008
Haha, as a Chinese American I understand that oppression.
I visited Japan twice and though the locals did not seem very intolerant, I have read some nasty articles on anti-Korean/Chinese Japanese. But I guess that sort of jingoism occurs in any country.

Just wondering, for any Singaporeans, how is it over there in terms of tolerance?
My cousins used to live in Singapore, and while you couldn't chew gum/spit, and they got beat with bamboo sticks in school, I didn't hear much about intolerance in the racial sense.

Apr 17, 2009 6:55 PM

May 2007
india, bro.

Apr 17, 2009 6:55 PM

Apr 2009
Tibet, did I miss any-thing?
Apr 17, 2009 7:00 PM

May 2008
KyuuA4 said:
Racism is everywhere. I'm sorry. You cannot avoid it. :p

Why indeed. But some places are claimed by some people to have more racism than others.

Apr 17, 2009 7:00 PM

Jan 2008
Mmmm I don't know, we're all pretty racist... Although, whenever we (my friends) make racist jokes its always Asians as a collective whole vs everyone else. So I can't really say one is more racist than the other. Also, I don't know a Japanese person, so I can't really comment on that either x.X

Banner made by suikka
Apr 17, 2009 7:04 PM

Jan 2009
I think its really stupid for asians to be racist towards eachother. There is hardly any difference between a japanese man and a Chinese man, in terms of "race". Thats like if a white american were to rag on a white british person for being british. It doesnt make any sense.
Apr 17, 2009 7:05 PM

May 2008
Rail_Man said:
I think its really stupid for asians to be racist towards eachother. There is hardly any difference between a japanese man and a Chinese man, in terms of "race". Thats like if a white american were to rag on a white british person for being british. It doesnt make any sense.

You act as if it makes more sense for Asians and Whites not to get along.
Or that there's this huge DNA difference between Asians and Whites that Asians doesn't have apart.

Asia is a pretty diverse place. So is the "West".

Apr 17, 2009 7:13 PM

Jan 2008
ukonkivi said:
Rail_Man said:

Or that there's this huge DNA difference between Asians and Whites that Asians doesn't have apart.

That's how I feel sometimes x___X Like "ahh! I Asian failed that test!" and the white kid next to me would be like "phew I passed!" Except I should emphasize the word SOMETIMES because our school is hacked where everyone thinks like an Asian 0.0'''

On your part about Asians being different than their Western counterparts,they both have different ways of thinking. Asians (I'm talking about Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans) were brought up to cultivate rice all day. There's no such thing as a break, you take a break, you'll starve. Where as over in North America, if you farm too much, you kill your soil. So their way of thinking is "work hard now, play later." I'm not trying to say one way of thinking is better than the other, just simply stating that they are different.

Banner made by suikka
Apr 17, 2009 7:15 PM

Jun 2008
Rail_Man said:

Chinese and Japanese people have been separated for thousands of years. All of the different Asians have different facial structures and features, due to this separation. Entire unique languages and cultures have also developed from the separation.

Alotta hate thats felt between China, Korea, and Japan also stems from certain atrocities committed by the Japanese during World War 2.

Apr 17, 2009 7:17 PM

Apr 2009
As if Americans don't insult British people.

Racism is rooted in human nature, the human (your) brain does not have the computational power to individually assess each 'problem', instead of that, it has a system of 'pattern recognition', it seeks to use the solutions of older problems to new problems it encounters that it deems 'similar'. Because humans tend to overly group things in gender, age and race. They end up placing properties on people they praeviously found in other members of their race, gender or age. If humans were to think in length for instance, they would sooner think that all small people have certain properties.

The old man's rock on top of me doesn't think in race / age / gender and as a consequence doesn't apply its pattern recognition as such.
Apr 17, 2009 7:18 PM

Jun 2008
pandaman0529 said:
Just wondering, for any Singaporeans, how is it over there in terms of tolerance?
My cousins used to live in Singapore, and while you couldn't chew gum/spit, and they got beat with bamboo sticks in school, I didn't hear much about intolerance in the racial sense.

We're very tolerant.

As long as you have money, we don't care where you're from. If you're fit into the mold of people who generally have money, we assume you have money, so we treat you nicely even if you don't.
panda_general said:
On your part about Asians being different than their Western counterparts,they both have different ways of thinking. Asians (I'm talking about Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans) were brought up to cultivate rice all day. There's no such thing as a break, you take a break, you'll starve. Where as over in North America, if you farm too much, you kill your soil. So their way of thinking is "work hard now, play later." I'm not trying to say one way of thinking is better than the other, just simply stating that they are different.

While I agree that East Asians and USA people generally are brought up in different cultures, I'd blame it more on modern divergences in culture than any ancient hanger-ons.

East Asians are generally brought up in an incredibly competitive, crowded environment, where your job is open to just about anyone, whether local or overseas. Your country perpetually gets screwed by financial crises no matter how hard you work, university places are tight, and jobs even more so. You respond by working harder.

In the USA, generally you live in a very relaxed environment. Places aren't that crowded, you think your country is the greatest in the world, you have many universities and government schools, and a degree generally isn't the be-all-and-end-all of what you consider to be success in life. You can't be held back, No Child Left Behind tells you that, you raised to think you're Super Special, and your news coverage talks more about the presidential pooch than the horrible state of global affairs.*

It's quite a modern phenomenon.

*Disclaimer: Gross over-generalizations are in effect. The author knows this, but is willing to use them for the sake of clarity.
turkeymeisterApr 17, 2009 7:27 PM
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Apr 17, 2009 7:24 PM

Jan 2009
lol, wow. I regret posting in this thread. I didint expect people to read so much into my post.
Apr 17, 2009 7:37 PM

Jan 2008

turkeymeister said:
pandaman0529 said:

We're very tolerant.

As long as you have money, we don't care where you're from. If you're fit into the mold of people who generally have money, we assume you have money, so we treat you nicely even if you don't.
panda_general said:

While I agree that East Asians and USA people generally are brought up in different cultures, I'd blame it more on modern divergences in culture than any ancient hanger-ons.

East Asians are generally brought up in an incredibly competitive, crowded environment, where your job is open to just about anyone, whether local or overseas. Your country perpetually gets screwed by financial crises no matter how hard you work, university places are tight, and jobs even more so. You respond by working harder.

In the USA, generally you live in a very relaxed environment. Places aren't that crowded, you think your country is the greatest in the world, you have many universities and government schools, and a degree generally isn't the be-all-and-end-all of what you consider to be success in life. You can't be held back, No Child Left Behind tells you that, you raised to think you're Super Special, and your news coverage talks more about the presidential pooch than the horrible state of global affairs.*

It's quite a modern phenomenon.

*Disclaimer: Gross over-generalizations are in effect. The author knows this, but is willing to use them for the sake of clarity.

Interesting point there.

Banner made by suikka
Apr 17, 2009 7:38 PM

Mar 2008
JP is racist in a way that outsiders will never (or very rarely) really be 100% included in society. That's not terribly surprising...our culture etc are completely different.

It's not like they're going to go out and hang you because your hair is blonde. Actually lots of JP people like having gaijin friends. It's not like France, where my friend was in the airport and some guy threw an egg at his back. Pretty bad.

I say Japan is doing a great job in terms of racism. If a country ran two atomic bombs on two major cities wiping everything (whether it was justified or not) I wouldn't be exactly amicable and welcoming. No matter how nice they are there will always be that very small bit of resentment deep seated in some of the people. In any case, JP people like to just sit there and not say anything about how they're feeling so if you're thick-skinned enough I doubt you'll ever notice anyway.
Apr 17, 2009 7:44 PM

Jun 2008
khorven said:

Tibet isn't a country. It's a part of China.
Apr 17, 2009 7:45 PM
Jun 2008
When talking about tourists, everyone has a part inside them that wants to visit the whole world and learn new stuff, and another part which wants to protect their home to be untouched/exploited by others. African and middle east countries tend to be more defensive than most asian countries apparently, but if the US actually invaded an asian country, reality might be different. It's just a natural instinct.

Then there are the immigrants. 2 types of them. The ones that come and adapt to the lifestyle of the country or the ones that bring all the crap from the country they ran away from.

I'm one of the 1st type. Asian living in Canada. I speak English and French quite fluently and have adopted this country's lifestyle. Most people I meet don't seem to dislike me.

An example of the second type would be the chinatown people who don't bother to learn french or english, don't file their tax papers, don't care about public property, etc.. as long as they have a job. Obviously they're 'victims' of racism because they kinda asked of it.

And of course the crazy extremist people. It's mandatory by law in Canada to wear a helmet when bicycling. Some Muslims decided their religion had a higher place than law and did not wear helmets. Their argument was:"the turban is too big for the helmet". I think escalated into some lawsuit where the Muslims were being persecuted...

So my answer to the OP's question is : The intensity of racism towards another race in a country is directionally proportional to the amount of shit caused by the immigrants/tourists/soldiers of that other race in the country. You'd have to read the news/history of all the asian countries to find out.
Apr 17, 2009 7:46 PM

Apr 2009
Enigmatica said:
khorven said:

Tibet isn't a country. It's a part of China.
I guess I missed that.
Apr 17, 2009 7:50 PM

Feb 2007
South Korea is where it is at, yo.
Apr 17, 2009 7:53 PM

May 2007
selective_yellow said:

my first energy story
Apr 17, 2009 7:54 PM

Jul 2007
ZoiQ said:
selective_yellow said:

my first energy story

GEE GEE GEE GEE BABY BABY BABY
tr1ggers4dApr 17, 2009 8:04 PM
Apr 17, 2009 8:17 PM

Feb 2009
sciwhiz said:

So my answer to the OP's question is : The intensity of racism towards another race in a country is directionally proportional to the amount of shit caused by the immigrants/tourists/soldiers of that other race in the country. You'd have to read the news/history of all the asian countries to find out.

Whether you yourself are racist or not is not the point I will be making when responding to your above statement, so don't feel I'm attacking you or singling you out.

That quote is basically what a racist believes to justify to himself and others that his beliefs and actions are warranted. Racism has been around since people noticed differences in each other.

America itself, for example, has a long history of blaming all its problems on whatever immigrant group is currently coming in looking for work. Africans, Italians, Irish, Polish, Chinese, and Mexicans are the easily verifiable scapegoats in American history. If you look back, you'll find the patterns are exactly the same, too. Labor exploitation, depicted as lazy and dishonest, blamed for drugs, crime, disease and poor economy, portrayed in the current media as a huge problem, then the anti-immigrant sentiment explodes and private citizens lash out at them.

I would suspect any homegenous asian country would be very racist, whether under the skin or overtly. Almost all countries that are basically one race are bigotted towards others. My guess would be a country such as the Philippines to be more racially tolerant, though I don't know the situation there.
Is there another word for synonym?
Apr 17, 2009 8:25 PM

Jun 2008
Unless we do some national survey, we'll never know. Unless you base yourself on personal experience by only interacting with a few selected individual from their respected nations or traveling to a particular city of a nation and basing the whole country's people on that, though that is particular weak, no?

So, I'll just randomly take a stab at it with my personal experience... China. I saw black guys back when I was in Beijing, and they used to be on various shows speaking fluent Mandarin, while getting praises from the audience. And no, the audience wasn't mocking them with laughter, but applauding them for their coherency.
Apr 17, 2009 9:08 PM

Jun 2007
kraz8 said:

Almost all countries that are basically one race are bigotted towards others.

I blame the Welsh.
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Apr 17, 2009 10:19 PM

Jun 2008
ukonkivi said:

One side of the world eats dogs, the other eats chicken.

Night and day, man, night and day.
I'm back.
Apr 17, 2009 10:27 PM

Jul 2007
India in my personal opinion.
All the mods fucking blow on this website except Kaiserpingvin, Cloudy-Sky, Baman and aero. PM me if you're actually good and I left you out.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Apr 18, 2009 12:59 AM

Dec 2007
I fail to see the relevance of this issue.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Apr 18, 2009 1:12 AM

Oct 2007
America baby!
Apr 18, 2009 1:25 AM

Sep 2007
sciwhiz said:

And of course the crazy extremist people. It's mandatory by law in Canada to wear a helmet when bicycling. Some Muslims decided their religion had a higher place than law and did not wear helmets. Their argument was:"the turban is too big for the helmet". I think escalated into some lawsuit where the Muslims were being persecuted...

Muslims? Turbans? =/ Turbans aren't a Muslim religious requirement, so the people you were referring to may have had cultural reasons for keeping their turbans on. I don't think you should pin the blame on their religion.

Back on topic--- I'd say Singapore. ^^

Apr 18, 2009 1:53 AM

Aug 2008
I think the "tolerant" term here is too undefined.

Tolerant on what level? Govermental/Political? Population's attitude towards other countries? Population's attitude towards the different ethnicities inside their countries?
Apr 18, 2009 2:21 AM

Mar 2009
ZoiQ said:
india, bro.

http://www.youtube.com/v/5DpGEHaa6dY&rel=1&rel=1">http://www.youtube.com/v/5DpGEHaa6dY&rel=1&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

thanks maybe were not that tolerant cuz most indians are religeous and wont stand a word against it and you shoud see how the drivers shout when someone bumps into your can but overall were tolerant people being a diverse country!
Apr 18, 2009 2:39 AM

Sep 2007
shaku1347 said:
ZoiQ said:
india, bro.

http://www.youtube.com/v/http://www.youtube.com/v/
" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/5DpGEHaa6dY&rel=1&rel=1[/yt]

thanks maybe were not that tolerant cuz most indians are religeous and wont stand a word against it and you shoud see how the drivers shout when someone bumps into your can but overall were tolerant people being a diverse country!

Indians are awesome- my favorite type of people.
Apr 18, 2009 2:48 AM

Jun 2008
Singapore. It's pretty much VERY muliti-cultural. And everything is so cheap there. $2 noodles...*yum*
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Apr 18, 2009 6:30 AM
Jun 2008
Urjuan said:

Muslims? Turbans? =/ Turbans aren't a Muslim religious requirement, so the people you were referring to may have had cultural reasons for keeping their turbans on. I don't think you should pin the blame on their religion.

Sorry my bad, it was the Sikhs

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/PEstory/TGAM/20020827/USIKHN/Headlines/headdex/headdexNational_temp/9/9/26/
Apr 18, 2009 8:21 AM

Jun 2008
Emovation said:
Singapore. It's pretty much VERY muliti-cultural. And everything is so cheap there. $2 noodles...*yum*

Singapore isn't a cheap place... not compared to developing countries yo.
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Apr 18, 2009 8:40 AM

Apr 2008
UAE, as long as you have money.

turkeymeister said:
Emovation said:

Singapore isn't a cheap place... not compared to developing countries yo.

And Singapore is pretty damn racist.
Ever wondered why all their PM's and other ministers (other than the president, who is there for show) are of Chinese ethnicity?
Apr 18, 2009 11:24 AM

Jan 2008
ZoiQ said:
india, bro.

How Can she slap?? HOW CAN SHE SLAP ME XD

Ugh Sorry for my racist comment but F#$%
Indias accent Irritates me Its annoying to hear them talk English
You Know You Want My Muffin!

I Know U Do!
Apr 18, 2009 11:51 AM

Jul 2008
ZoiQ said:
india, bro.

Their caste system pisses me the fuck off.
Apr 18, 2009 12:21 PM

Dec 2008
Rail_Man said:
I think its really stupid for asians to be racist towards eachother.

Take a look at history.

Also lol not China.

There is nothing in this world more ugly than imperfection
Apr 18, 2009 12:26 PM

Sep 2007
Nayah_sux said:
UAE, as long as you have money.

As someone who lives in the UAE, I strongly disagree. Yes, having money might earn you respect, but even that has levels to it. Caucasians are generally given more respect/ treated better than Indians or Arabs of other nationalities, even if they're all of equal financial status. They're pretty obvious about it too.
UrjuanApr 18, 2009 1:11 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.