Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 17, 2009 12:57 AM

Jan 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good episode. [bI liked: Zwei has fake
name of Reiji. Now he has fake ID at least. The 2 mature ladies. Knife training! Zwei being bothered by Ein take her clothes near him bu her she not care much (it look like that). Gun selection and art of them. How Zwei changed his eyes and the whole killing of that uragirimono! (traitor). Idiot think he could trick Zwei with other gun.
I did not like:
The whole Dr Scythe/Ein (naked) lotion rubbing. Did not understand for what? I think is to mask smell? Not sure. Zwei being little scared man just before he had to kill traitor.

More anime character eyes me have to remember. These are nice. Eyes of Phantom?

Nice gun selection

I don't understand point of this but Dr Scythe thinks of Ein only as perfect machine to kill. Not sure if he obsessed beyond that but Doctor is not stable in head.
japanme32Apr 20, 2009 10:13 PM
Apr 17, 2009 10:40 AM
Feb 2009
I liked this ep, finally it looks kinda more interesting than a total average gunfight-assassin story. I hope this gets only better from now :)

japanme32 said:
Zwei being bothered by Ein take her clothes near him bu her she not care much (it look like that).

I remember those scenes from the OVA ^^ Glad that they're here as well.
Apr 17, 2009 12:46 PM

Feb 2009
Edit: Well, let's see... that was a decent episode. They skipped most of the training segments, but I guess that's understandable. Unlike last week's episode, this one moved at a very quick pace. They completely changed the test from the game, not sure whether it's for better or for worse in this case... oh, and I don't like the whole symbolism with the eyes changing, it's unnecessary and over-dramatic. All in all, this episode gets a passing grade. I especially liked the BGM. Can't wait to see the date assassination animated next week.

Scythe Master considers Ein as a prized possession and an extension of his gun collection; just as he would polish his most prized guns to preserve their beauty, he does the same to Ein by rubbing lotion on her and making sure her beauty is preserved. So no, he's definitely not right in the head.
CheesyhoboeApr 17, 2009 2:56 PM
Apr 17, 2009 12:51 PM

Jan 2009
Cheesyhoboe said:
Scythe Master considers Ein as a prized possession and an extension of his gun collection; just as he would polish his most prized guns to preserve their beauty, he does the same to Ein by rubbing lotion on her and making sure her beauty is preserved. So no, he's definitely not right in the head.

Still what was lotion???? Why rub her??? Dr think she is like gun so he polish her? Not right in head 100%. That bothered me and wonder who else is???
Apr 17, 2009 9:55 PM

Jun 2007
I like'd episode especiall the part where he "dies" and is reborn.
I agree with japanme, i did not like or understand the lotion rubbing part, he was saying stuff like perfect, so maybe he ment entirely, skin included :P

At least Zwei got to see boobs before the kill.

And i actually like the eye colour changing, as we saw in the first episode there was some hint's of psychic or super developed brain power's maybe that's related, i could be very wrong but i dunno, could just be the colour of a dead soul/heart inside one's own shell.

Can't wait till next episode! And HAH he poked his arm! =D

Hiku out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eat, Breathe, Sleep, Dream, Live Anime.

Trance, it's not just a Genre it's a state of mind.
Apr 19, 2009 2:03 AM

Jan 2009
Did you guys watch this raw as I can't find any subs for this episode yet?
Apr 20, 2009 7:07 AM
Feb 2009
The guy is called Scythe Master... what other proof you need to call him insane?

Nice episode, great BGM. Btw, is that passport real or fake?
Apr 20, 2009 8:19 AM

Nov 2008
Really nice one. I like this kind of animation. And I hope it'll stay like this, I mean anime won't be about "oh, how miserable I am, little poor assasin".
Apr 20, 2009 9:02 AM
May 2008
Another great episode and it will be interesting to see where this goes now that Zwei is out of training. This show has easily become one of the top series of the spring season!!!
Dead Account
Please Delete
Apr 20, 2009 11:03 AM
Aug 2008
I really like this show. The music, atmosphere, the character designs. My only complaint for this episode was that it went by way too quick. I just started watching it and I look down and the episode is over.
Apr 20, 2009 11:40 AM

Jul 2008
not bad, but i dont remember Zwei picking up a knife or a extra gun.
Apr 20, 2009 12:29 PM

Sep 2008
Damn this episode is interesting! And damn that Scythe Master, he gets to touch Ein!! I haven't seen the alternate OVA version of this series but I already have a hunch about how this anime is going to end with just the foreshadowing conversations during this episode. Man, I can't wait for the next episode!
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
Apr 20, 2009 1:06 PM

Oct 2008
This is definitely my top anime this season! I've come to like Ein and Zwei so much during this past three episodes, that I was furious when Scythe bastard touched Ein like she was a thing, and that he dared to touch her at all! :P
Apr 20, 2009 1:11 PM

Sep 2008
Rudgald said:
I've come to like Ein and Zwei so much during this past three episodes, that I was furious when Scythe bastard touched Ein like she was a thing, and that he dared to touch her at all! :P

Exactly how i felt!
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
Apr 20, 2009 1:20 PM

May 2008
God, I love assassins. (^_^)

As for the lotion, the gun comparison someone made above is a good one. You're meant to identify her as a machine, but, of course, it's more complex than that since she's not just a machine, but a machine as woman and, moreover, the embodiment of perfection in a machine in a woman. So, you get that deeply unsettling psychosexual component that everyone seems to be latching on to, as you're made to deal with a dichotomy between the rational and emotional association of what you're witnessing. The way this was presented (down to the composition of the shots/scene) was rather brilliant, IMO.

I also thought it was neat how the machine metaphor was extended in the dialogue with Scythe Master acknowledging that his creation would obtain true perfection when it was capable of self-replication. There's obviously a double line of inquiry here as well -- Ein as mother or progenitor -- which, if carried far enough later in the series, would make for some interesting implications to any romantic relationship that develops between her and Zwei.

It's safe to say that Freud or Lacan could have field day here (if that wasn't already completely apparent by location within this particular genre).
chicanerousApr 20, 2009 4:14 PM
Apr 20, 2009 1:35 PM

Jan 2009
chicanerous said:
God, I love assassins. (^_^)

me like your explanation. Is good.
Apr 20, 2009 1:39 PM

Feb 2009
Jure said:
The guy is called Scythe Master... what other proof you need to call him insane?

Doesn't necessarily count as a spoiler, but nevertheless, for those who want to be kept completely in the dark...

Apr 20, 2009 1:41 PM

Jan 2009
Cheesyhoboe said:
Jure said:

Doesn't necessarily count as a spoiler, but nevertheless, for those who want to be kept completely in the dark...

O_O so that his real name....Keiji huh?
Apr 20, 2009 1:42 PM

Sep 2008
For some unknown reason, I didn't really like it. It looked dragged to me.

However, that doesn't change the fact that I like this show. Since he is "reborn" now, next episode might have some killing again, he passed his test after all, so no more training. While killing may sound good, I wouldn't like this show to turn into all-kill-no-character development like many other shows.
Phantom really has potential to turn into great romance-action-drama show, but somehow, I am afraid of the worse.

P.S. I loved the music during assassination chase.
Apr 20, 2009 1:43 PM

May 2008
Pretty good episode aside from the creepy Scythe Master rubbing Ein part. Seems like things should really start to pick up from here on.
Apr 20, 2009 2:15 PM

May 2008
Damn, that rubbing part was just plain creepy.It was a decent episode although I found the eye-changing part strangely funny. Sorta wish Zwei could have been more badass on his first mission though >.<''

'People die when they are killed'- Fate/stay night.
The world just keeps getting more and more intelligent.
Apr 20, 2009 3:57 PM

Nov 2008
Wow what an pervert old geezer! xD...

Uuuh wants more. Action in this anime is amazing. Dont give shit about inferno, but assasins are always cool!

Patiently waiting for Ein and Zwein's baddass runaway from inferno. I realy hope that happens!
Apr 20, 2009 4:22 PM

Sep 2008
Oxu said:

Patiently waiting for Ein and Zwein's baddass runaway from inferno. I realy hope that happens!

For just once in a lifetime I want to see the show where that doesn't happen.
For crying out loud, even hitman movie ended with 47 running from agency (something similar), and every other movie and show ended with "good guys" killing their agencies ("bad guys").
Just once, I would like to see something different.
Like both dying tragic and romantic death.
Apr 20, 2009 4:35 PM

Feb 2009
I don't want to give too much away, but...

Apr 20, 2009 7:24 PM

Jan 2009
Well now at least we saw some action. It pissed me off a bit when Zwei said he couldn't kill someone. Then again when he got fooled by that asshole on the test. He just should've killed him instead if hearing the babling he had to say. Somehow i remembered a Van'Dame movie on that scene lol. Anyway I got the chills when he killed Mr.Old dude, the air changed dramatically when he did it, even the way his eyes looked like. It seems that he isn't a pussy anymore.

And what the fuck was with 'Master'? did he just raped Ein?

So...now he is a flawless killer, those scenes on the prewiew looked cool, we gonna see Ein and Zwei working together.

But i wish the show could stop moving the plot forward a lil bit, and show whats behind the two main characters, i hate the "tragic past flashback" theme but... is just that Phantom is leaving too many plot holes already, something is really missing.
MikiyoApr 20, 2009 10:16 PM

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Apr 20, 2009 9:46 PM

Aug 2007
This was a good episode. I can't wait to see Ein show her tiny bit of emotion in the next one.
Usotsuki. 
Apr 20, 2009 10:49 PM

Jul 2007
I am still not feeling for the characters, so this show has a manga to follow?

If Zwei ends up a mindless killing machine, i will drop this show.
Apr 20, 2009 10:57 PM

Feb 2009
anybody can give an explanation about the rebirth of Zwei? I didn't really understand that part...
[url=http://www.squiby.net/level/4135737]
Apr 20, 2009 10:59 PM

Jan 2009
shootsbrah said:
anybody can give an explanation about the rebirth of Zwei? I didn't really understand that part...
He accepted the fact that he had to leave behind his 'old life' (knowing the fact that his memories were erased), and accept that he is now an assasin.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Apr 20, 2009 11:56 PM

May 2008
Tamaki-san said:
shootsbrah said:
He accepted the fact that he had to leave behind his 'old life' (knowing the fact that his memories were erased), and accept that he is now an assasin.

I don't think he accepted the fact that he had to leave his old life. In fact, I think it was exactly the opposite. He accepted death, which I think is made explicit by his reply to Ein and his behavior. As well, I think that any rational choice to become an assassin (such as the one you are implying) would necessarily fail because the choice is itself not rational. (Keep in mind that, as Ein describes it, "assassin" here entails a complete loss of what it means to be human. So, it is a much stronger condition than the usual sense of the word, which, on the other hand, could absolutely result from rational choice.) Hence, I'd argue that it is only by the aid of an extreme catalyst, namely "death" (which can be quite conventionally described as a process and concept transcending the limitations of the rational mind), that he is even able to make this change.

As far as blow by blow: Ein tells him to throw away everything he knows and feels to become "Zwei." However, he replies (at least in my translation) to the effect that he's nothing like or fundamentally unable to become like "Zwei" and assents to have her kill him. He lowers his head, not looking at her, and fully resigns him to death. He completely believes that she will kill him. (The camera cuts and then zooms incredibly far out to the barren land to visually analogize this psychological distance, i.e. just as we are removed from his life, so to does he remove himself from his own life.) We hear a gun shot and then we see that she hasn't shot him. But, this doesn't even matter. As soon as the gun went off, he was "dead," impervious to thought or sense by his mind's own mechanisms for protection. Remember that we're working under the assumption that he truly believes he is going to die. (The concept of ego death would be an adequate way to describe his reaction.) Thus, when Ein "awakens" him as Zwei, she's literally giving him a new identity to fill this void (or, to an extent, tabula rasa) that he has inadvertently created.

Obviously, this explanation is quite suspect on the grounds of realism, but I would argue that, as we're dealing with a work of fiction portraying an extremely ritualized and symbolic interaction, this interaction can't be "realistically" explained in terms other than the ritual and symbolic.

As a fun aside, in this context, it's far from insignificant that the director (et al.) chose to depict the training camp in such a remote and barren swath of land. It really emphasizes the psychological destruction Ein undergoes in his transformation from man to "lifeless" killing machine, especially gaining significance when the scene does cut in the manner described above. (As a contrast, could you picture all of this happening in an overwhelmingly lush, natural environment (i.e. an intensely green, living, steaming jungle)? It seems almost ridiculous to imagine!)
chicanerousApr 22, 2009 12:20 AM
Apr 21, 2009 1:03 AM

Jan 2009
chicanerous said:

Me liked your explanation. :D
Apr 21, 2009 6:28 AM

Apr 2008
Definitely an improvement from the first two episodes, I'm actually looking forward to the next episode ; )

Still, i think the sudden changes in character of Zwei could have been thought out a bit better. A human doesn't do a 180 degree character change in under 5 seconds.
Apr 21, 2009 9:09 AM

Jan 2009
Is Zwei the Romaro that Claudia think he is?
Can Zwei remember anything with that passport me wonder?

#4 look like Ein and Zwei get closer in feelings.
Apr 21, 2009 9:57 AM

Sep 2008
NeloDeath said:
Another great episode and it will be interesting to see where this goes now that Zwei is out of training. This show has easily become one of the top series of the spring season!!!

Same here ^^

Apr 21, 2009 10:31 PM

Aug 2008
Well, that was a much better episode than last week, but not really likable for me. I'm just not really getting why I should care about any of these characters. I'm assuming that there will be some sort of flashback along the way that get me to like Zwei or sympathize with Ein, but as it is, and I feel like I'm saying this a lot when I talk about it to other people, Ein and Zwei are like dolls, Scythe is just a sexually repressed psycho, and blonde lady (who was mildly interesting last week) just seems pretty flippant about everything. I'm just not seeing why I should care when no one on the show seems to.

Then again, maybe I'm expecting too much from a video game adaptation.
Apr 22, 2009 2:11 AM

May 2008
kinda boring,may be i just dun like the setting or the story ,complicated plots tend to fry my brain

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Apr 22, 2009 5:24 AM

Sep 2008
well at first i was annoyed that they were still in this dull training facility and it was looking like it would be very boring. But they put this test it and it grabbed my attention to see how he dealt with it. I didn't love the episode but i did like it. And what i've been waiting for seems like it will be in action next week and that is missions and possibly some deeper plot being introduced though i don't mind waiting for that. I've just wanted it to escape this one place already.
Apr 22, 2009 10:43 AM

Feb 2008
Whoa, that lotion scene sure was weird o_O
Other than that, this episode was pretty good.
Apr 22, 2009 10:53 AM

Apr 2009
It was good, although the fight scene had some stuff that absolutely killed realism. I understand that guns are much, much, much less accurate than portrayed in most series (anime or not), but some of those misses in the ending fight were really, really bad. First, a trained assassin misses at, what, 10-20 feet while aiming at a target who isn't moving. Then, a former US Navy Seal misses, twice(!), at that same distance against a target who is simply walking completely out in the open not trying to avoid being hit. That part was just 0_0.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Apr 22, 2009 1:08 PM

Jan 2009
japanme32 said:
Cheesyhoboe said:

Still what was lotion???? Why rub her??? Dr think she is like gun so he polish her? Not right in head 100%. That bothered me and wonder who else is???

I actually loved that part because it made me hate the Scythe even more! Nothing worse than a story with a tame antagonist! Now I really wonder how this story is going to unfold!

I'm a little scared because this story reminds me of Gunslinger Girl, though... Gunslinger Girl dealt with brainwashed assassins too, but focused a little too much on the brainwashed aspect of the story: nothing to remember from it! It was such a dull story for what it has the potential too become! Such a disapointement!! :(

After seeing how the Scythemaster likes to physically perform *ahem* maintenance work on his dear Phantom, I wonder how the creepy red-haired Inferno lady is going to satisfy her own curiosity with Zwei... How creepy! Haha, I wonder if the Scythe will also perform maintenance work on Zwei! Now THAT would be creepy! LOL!

I hope that through this show, Ein and Zwei will come together for a period of self-realization and rebel themselves against the Scythe and Inferno. A surprise, dramatic, gory kill-off at the end would be awesome! Inferno could be destroyed by their two perfect creations?

But I have a feeling that Zwei and Ein will probably face each other in the end in a very dramatic climax! Perhaps Zwei will rebel while Ein stays faithful to the Scythe? Zwein would kill her to be able to completely destroy Inferno?

Anywho! Whatev!

Apr 22, 2009 5:00 PM
Feb 2009
Zubatuba said:
After seeing how the Scythemaster likes to physically perform *ahem* maintenance work on his dear Phantom, I wonder how the creepy red-haired Inferno lady is going to satisfy her own curiosity with Zwei... How creepy! Haha, I wonder if the Scythe will also perform maintenance work on Zwei! Now THAT would be creepy! LOL!
*imagine scythe doing "maintenance" on zwei...* lol....

dont know how this show gonna end, but i really hope some1 shoot that insane scythe in his head ;p
oblivious is a bliss
Apr 22, 2009 5:29 PM

Sep 2008
noteDhero said:
Well, that was a much better episode than last week, but not really likable for me. I'm just not really getting why I should care about any of these characters. I'm assuming that there will be some sort of flashback along the way that get me to like Zwei or sympathize with Ein, but as it is, and I feel like I'm saying this a lot when I talk about it to other people, Ein and Zwei are like dolls, Scythe is just a sexually repressed psycho, and blonde lady (who was mildly interesting last week) just seems pretty flippant about everything. I'm just not seeing why I should care when no one on the show seems to.

Then again, maybe I'm expecting too much from a video game adaptation.

As much as I hate to admit it, I fully agree with this.
I simply don't care for any of the characters so far...
Apr 25, 2009 1:29 AM

Jun 2008
I love Ein with her big cow eyes. I also love Zwei.
And I simply adore the relationship between Ein and Zwei.
But somehow, since the first episode I'm geting these Cradle of Life ending vibes. (dear heaven, I pray it won't go that path)

Still, as it seems from the preview, Zwei goes from innocent to Raito. :(

Apr 25, 2009 5:25 AM

Jun 2008
Decent episode. Nothing really exiting happened.
Apr 25, 2009 2:57 PM

Apr 2009
Agreed that it was nice except the retarded Scythe Master and the lotion... yeah.

The music is wonderful :)
Apr 26, 2009 11:08 AM

Apr 2009
Great episode. Story just seems to be getting better and better.
Apr 27, 2009 10:40 PM
Oct 2007
flame_tiong said:
*imagine scythe doing "maintenance" on zwei...* lol....

dont know how this show gonna end, but i really hope some1 shoot that insane scythe in his head ;p
I like to think that Ein will be doing the 'maintenance' on Zwei, since Scythe made her into her a 'perfect' assassin, and Ein did so for Zwei.
moo
Apr 29, 2009 12:16 AM

Dec 2008
Why did Scythe put the oil on Ein's body???

After this episode I planned to write,that it is some kind of sad that Ein is totally dead inside.
But in the preview it looked like like Ein will be shown more human in the next.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 2009 5:31 AM

Jan 2009
9th-eden said:
Pretty good episode aside from the creepy Scythe Master rubbing Ein part. Seems like things should really start to pick up from here on.

Heh, true. The "test" was quite dragged. Both participants missed shooting each other from 10 meters... the assassination target started talking shit after cornering Zwei and the outcome is obvious.

The show is great, though. I'm sure it'll get even better from now on.
xyakaixApr 29, 2009 5:39 AM
Apr 29, 2009 8:45 PM

Oct 2008
chicanerous said:

As for the lotion, the gun comparison someone made above is a good one. You're meant to identify her as a machine, but, of course, it's more complex than that since she's not just a machine, but a machine as woman and, moreover, the embodiment of perfection in a machine in a woman. So, you get that deeply unsettling psychosexual component that everyone seems to be latching on to, as you're made to deal with a dichotomy between the rational and emotional association of what you're witnessing. The way this was presented (down to the composition of the shots/scene) was rather brilliant, IMO.

I also thought it was neat how the machine metaphor was extended in the dialogue with Scythe Master acknowledging that his creation would obtain true perfection when it was capable of self-replication. There's obviously a double line of inquiry here as well -- Ein as mother or progenitor -- which, if carried far enough later in the series, would make for some interesting implications to any romantic relationship that develops between her and Zwei.

It's safe to say that Freud or Lacan could have field day here (if that wasn't already completely apparent by location within this particular genre).

seems like the best explanation for the lotion deal. his demeanor while doing so didnt seem like he intended to screw her... in fact it sounded more like his intentions in creating zwei was to father ein's child... to eventually create an even *more* perfect weapon.

at least thats what i got out of desire's subs... cant be sure how accurate that is compared to the original message the director intended.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Sep 24, 2009

628 by __FK__ »»
Apr 15, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jul 16, 2009

145 by defaulticus »»
Mar 23, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Phantom Requiem for the Phantom Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Mikiyo - Apr 3, 2009

171 by defaulticus »»
Mar 17, 3:51 PM

» Phantom: Requiem for the phantom. Visual Novel endings.

Jimmy2233 - Sep 26, 2013

5 by ALCYON3US »»
Feb 9, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ckam - Jul 20, 2009

71 by bubba460z »»
Dec 17, 2023 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.