Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 13, 2009 6:37 PM
Apr 2009
To nina4life:

In the lost regios ep. Layfon lays out a strategy for the survival of the platoon, and Nina questions him "For the sake of survival?" I think that shows that Layfon cherishes the platoon.

Nina wants to do things the honorable way like a bushido. Layfon is willing to do dishonorable things and that is where they clash. However, this is a problem of does the ends justify the means.

And obviously it is a controversial issue. But I do not believe their goals are against one another. That is why they do not argue a lot. Both of them prioritize the safety of the city and the platoon. The only difference is the method used. Nina will go head to head while Layfon sneaks around.

I think this is shown symbolically in the tracking of Dinn. Layfon was sneaking on top of a building following Dinn while Nina just directly goes to Dinn and tells him to stop using Overload.

A big difference in methods. But the end result is to get Dinn to turn back. That is why I think this anime is very sneaky in symbolism eh? :p
Apr 13, 2009 6:38 PM

Aug 2008
I think that the simple fact is that: Nina is a pussy and knows she can't win without Layfon, therefore she'll forgive him under the guise of having "control" over him. She is nowhere near as virtuous as she makes herself up to be in my opinion, but hey, we'll probably never know.
Apr 13, 2009 6:46 PM

Sep 2008
If you take a look back to their first fight with filth monsters (episode 5 or 6, can't remember) where he told them not to go, they'll get killed, she didn't listen.

Now, what happened. Layfon didn't join because of her, he didn't join fight because of city or platoon.
He said to himself: "I must fight to survive". That's what happened. So no, I wouldn't say he wants to protect city any more than he wants to protect himself.
And yea, noteDhero, I don't think she is pussy, I just think she is naive.
She enters fights she can't win because she is too proud to understand that sometimes winning is impossible (Guess she never read "The art of war" :) ).
But yeah, she does think she has control over him, she was thinking about that during their fight against mature filth monster. Again, naive.
Apr 13, 2009 6:50 PM
Apr 2009
Layfon wants to protect the student life he has in Zuelini. When he thought of the normal days with Mei-shen etc. it motivated him to defeat the filth monster in that arc.

So I still keep my belief that he wants to protect the city. If he didn't he wouldn't obey the sneaky president's orders. =)
Apr 13, 2009 6:56 PM

Sep 2008
I still think he wants to protect himself more than other things.

Why is he fighting than? Because he already learned that 90% of those students are good for nothing. Meaning if fighting comes, they won't be able to protect city.
I do not doubt he wants to stay there and live normally, after all, where can he go anyway?
And I do not doubt he is a good person, after all, he stood up for Diin in this episode. He could have backed up, but he has a sense of loyalty and moral standings (he proved that long time ago).

I just think that he is willing to do sacrifices to survive, unlike others, especially Nina.
Apr 13, 2009 6:57 PM

Aug 2008
Yeah, after I submitted that, I realized that wasn't the word I wanted to use. She is naive, and really too immature to be a platoon leader. I just don't really get how she got that far. Especially concerning how she failed in that intercity match.

@eschiver

I don't see it so much that way. Layfon was sneaking around, but those were his orders. He wasn't doing anything to keep himself alive. What Nina did was disregard orders because she thought she had a better plan. I do see what you were trying to say though, but in this case it doesn't really work. Also, because we still don't have 100% of the picture, I'm still not so sure that Layfon did anything wrong. Everytime that Layfon has done something to save himself, it's only when he really had no other choice.
noteDheroApr 13, 2009 7:00 PM
Apr 13, 2009 7:05 PM
Apr 2009
Oh right, I guess he was on orders. I think the president put Nina as a platoon leader because he knows she has a fairy inside her. Which will probably play a part later.

However, my point is that Nina tends to be blunt and direct. She is way too honest and naive :p

I think Nina is more of an idealist and Layfon is the realist. One is trying to sacrifice herself for an ideal while the other is trying to minimize damages and maximize survival for sake of himself and others.

However, Layfon does not want to use his powers if it possible. That is why he is so reluctant to use a katana etc.
eschiverApr 13, 2009 7:08 PM
Apr 13, 2009 7:24 PM

Sep 2008
I actually think he is changing.

The reason he refuses katana is (imho) that he wants to leave his past (not his friends from past (that girl)) in the past. He did some things, and now he wants to forget those things and move on.
Now, I don't think he is ashamed of what he did (ep 10, he calls guy he killed irrelevant), but he just wants to move on, doesn't want to be forever connected to his past. I might be wrong.
Guess we'll see...

It's 4.30am here, and I think I should stop commenting on fictional character.
Can't wait for the next episode etc etc etc etc etc.
Apr 13, 2009 7:34 PM

Aug 2008
I agree with both of you, Nina is definitely an idealist while Layfon is much more pragmatic having seen how the world works. But Nina's point brings me to the problem I'm having with Layfon: he clearly wants to leave the past in the past, yet being as pragmatic as he is, he just can't seem to see the situation for what it is. He is Zuellini's only hope, and he needs to get over his issues about the past in order to really be of any help to anyone. I know, I know, he didn't even want to be in military arts, but he doesn't really have a choice anymore. If he's going to survive, he needs to take all of these threats a little more seriously. Of course, it could be that he has yet to actually feel threatened by anyone and that's why he hasn't felt the need to use a katana, but he should be able to see that things are spiraling downward by now.
Apr 13, 2009 7:40 PM
Apr 2009
That is what makes it interesting. If Layfon was a perfect realist, I would be turned off. He still has issues to grapple with.

Can't wait for inter-city match. >.>
Apr 14, 2009 10:36 AM

Sep 2008
Cheap quick battles are not cool >.<

Apr 14, 2009 9:38 PM

Jul 2008
the fight was very short^^ but overall,the episode is great:)
Apr 17, 2009 11:25 AM
Apr 2009
I have a feeling that some scene just disapeared . Din was unable to move beacause of some dudes holding the chains , and suddenly ..wow ! he is in forest , all alone ....
Apr 19, 2009 12:42 AM
Apr 2009
I wonder how the series will end... speculating some sort of a filth monster fight at the end with his platoon members tagged along
Apr 21, 2009 5:04 AM

Mar 2008
Nice episode, i'm still a bit disappointed at the ridiculously short fights. I thought Din would become super powerful with the Haikizoku, obliging Layfon to fight seriously...

The other battle battle with the katana guy was also too short :(

The ending was sad, but well, even if his will was pure, he deserved it for taking the wrong path.
Apr 21, 2009 6:43 AM

Jan 2009
noteDhero said:
I'm not taking anything out of context. My argument was that Nina is inconsistent in her feelings toward Layfon, and I pointed to those places in particular to prove my point. I think calling Nina forgetful is accurate because from episode to episode, and sometimes scene to scene, her treatment of Layfon is vastly different.

Are their personalities consistent? Yes. Are their interactions growing in any way? No. If this show is about Platoon 17 developing, then we don't really see that. It's still Layfon doing the brunt of the work with Nina doing next to nothing and being angry while Felli and Sharnid are on the sidelines. The team has not grown as a whole, and this past arc was a good spot for it to happen, but instead, Sharnid went lone wolf, and Layfon still has next to no understanding of him.

Me have one thing to say about Nina, she have system problems. Is because she died and fairy got her back up but maybe that not perfect. So now she have problems like remembering.
Apr 21, 2009 8:36 AM

Mar 2009
japanme32 said:
noteDhero said:
I'm not taking anything out of context. My argument was that Nina is inconsistent in her feelings toward Layfon, and I pointed to those places in particular to prove my point. I think calling Nina forgetful is accurate because from episode to episode, and sometimes scene to scene, her treatment of Layfon is vastly different.

Are their personalities consistent? Yes. Are their interactions growing in any way? No. If this show is about Platoon 17 developing, then we don't really see that. It's still Layfon doing the brunt of the work with Nina doing next to nothing and being angry while Felli and Sharnid are on the sidelines. The team has not grown as a whole, and this past arc was a good spot for it to happen, but instead, Sharnid went lone wolf, and Layfon still has next to no understanding of him.

Me have one thing to say about Nina, she have system problems. Is because she died and fairy got her back up but maybe that not perfect. So now she have problems like remembering.

Don't judge her that way. Blame the anime for not showing they made up after the events of the lost city.
Apr 21, 2009 9:12 AM

Jan 2009
MrTerrorist said:
japanme32 said:
noteDhero said:

Don't judge her that way. Blame the anime for not showing they made up after the events of the lost city.

Yes, ok, details are missing but you not think Nina affected by that death?
May 7, 2009 2:53 PM

Oct 2008
I don't understand why Layfon won't use a katana.. If he is most skilllful with the katana, why would he use a sword instead? Perhaps, Fon-Fon is trying to give his enemies an edge, while doing himself a handicap.

Battle ends, happy ending..

May 27, 2009 6:54 AM

Dec 2008
where can I get this picture without the text?

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 1, 2011 8:53 PM

Jul 2010
that should shut up the other dude for complaining. if he can't beat layfon with his handicap, he should just go home and be a family man.

Aug 6, 2011 3:05 AM
Sep 2010
akuma2002 said:
The other battle battle with the katana guy was also too short :(

I realize it's an anime, but you guys do realize a real sword fight between two expert swordsmen should last no longer than about 20 seconds right? It's one of the most realistic battle in the series so far in my opinion.
Oct 11, 2011 1:31 PM

Feb 2010
superman89 said:
eschiver said:
I cracked up when my expectation of an epic sword v. katana fight was ruined in 3 seconds... One hit KOs are cheap. &gt;.&gt;

I agree 100%...Was like that's it...???

The queen's an odd character, so no telling who she's referring to. It's hard to tell if she's actually on the side of Leerin as a friend, or just wants to use her power...

Yea the sword v. katana was kinda stupid lol.

I think the queen just wants to protect Leerin so thats why she became her friend.
Sheepshaman.png
Oct 24, 2011 11:13 PM

May 2010
I thought Nina didn't want Layfon to be part of the platoon?? That was NEVER resolved.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 10, 2012 11:43 PM

Sep 2011
Maannnn Layfon is a bit "over-powered" dont'cha think? xD

Overall, pretty good episode, I enjoyed it! Needs more Felli though. ;)
Jul 26, 2013 6:37 PM

Jun 2012
Layfon's battle was such a disappointment. I liked some of it, but most was just, ahh, its ok, not really interesting though. I give a 1/5.
May 29, 2014 6:18 AM

Aug 2013
The battle was underwhelming >__<
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Aug 2, 2014 9:53 AM

Feb 2013
Pretty nice intensity build-up on the battle, although it didn't have that much actual action.
Jan 11, 2015 12:17 AM
Dec 2014
OriginANIME said:
Maannnn Layfon is a bit "over-powered" dont'cha think? xD

Overall, pretty good episode, I enjoyed it! Needs more Felli though. ;)

He ain't overpowered at all, everyone else is underpowered.

This show is getting boring in recent episodes though, because I don't understand why they are wasting time with stupid things like the squad tournaments, when it's pretty clear that Layfon could probably destroy all the units put together by himself. And the characters still acting all retardedly surprised when he beats their ass, despite having already shown how much better he is on multiple occasions.

Waste of screen time even having him involved in that, just bring on some half decent opponents, like other heavens blades.
Mar 17, 2015 9:17 PM

May 2014
"Well Done, Dinn" ~Nina Shitty dialogue much? Seriously, that's like commending someone on steroids because theya re so strong lol. Fucking stupid as hell Nina, where's ur morals?

Nina tries to be all "good". Well that's not how the world works, Nina....
I predict Nina is going to "absorb" that Haikizokku.

Holy SHIT that execution. Baddest scene.

3.5/5 Annoying Nina again
Jan 28, 2016 3:01 AM

Aug 2013
No logic how their fight ended in a second lol.
Next episode's title already made me laugh.
Jul 21, 2023 6:44 PM

Dec 2022
I thought they'd at least put up sort of a fight against Layfon, but he just one-shot them both in succession.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chrome Shelled Regios Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - Jun 20, 2009

164 by Archean-Return »»
Jul 22, 2023 12:38 AM

Poll: » Chrome Shelled Regios Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - May 30, 2009

63 by Archean-Return »»
Jul 21, 2023 10:58 PM

Poll: » Chrome Shelled Regios Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - May 23, 2009

52 by Archean-Return »»
Jul 21, 2023 10:30 PM

Poll: » Chrome Shelled Regios Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

MrTerrorist - May 17, 2009

88 by Archean-Return »»
Jul 21, 2023 9:55 PM

Poll: » Chrome Shelled Regios Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Quickfox - May 3, 2009

56 by Archean-Return »»
Jul 21, 2023 8:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.