Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 11, 2009 4:34 PM
Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I liked this episode. Looking forward to the later episodes.
Sep 2, 2009 6:22 AM

Aug 2009
I was missing some action. Here was some.

Four months without seeing Maria nor Harry?! That's patience!

And come on... How they put him to talk at telephone? :P
Sep 22, 2009 1:21 PM

Apr 2009
TitanioVerde said:

And come on... How they put him to talk at telephone? :P

lol) nice scene was that)

anyway nice ep.
i want to see who will kill maria
Feb 21, 2010 1:03 AM

Nov 2009
Great episode. The characters in this anime have weird names. And what were those racing creatures? Ostriches?
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
Aug 10, 2010 9:53 AM

Jul 2009
The best part was when Brandon tried to answer the phone.
Nov 13, 2010 12:22 PM

Aug 2009
I like how the main character , despite being somehow peaceful , isn't someone who's crying like a bitch over a death.It's different from other certain series , and that shows you how mature is Gungrave.
Apr 1, 2011 2:11 AM

Oct 2010
Good episode
The distance between Harry and Brandon is already starting to show
Jan 31, 2013 4:00 PM

Jan 2012
Oh God, how I hate Harry. Knew a person exactly like that long time ago. Anyway, the plot is developing nicely.

Jun 13, 2013 11:24 AM

May 2012
I really think Harry will be the next boss if Millenion that appeared in the 1st episode and called Brandon a traitor..

And that phone scene! Haha..
Dec 22, 2013 6:23 AM

May 2012
I really hoped this series had better action with the title being Gungrave and all... but this is just plain boring.
Mar 26, 2014 3:15 PM
Nov 2013
bOnesS said:
I like how the main character , despite being somehow peaceful , isn't someone who's crying like a bitch over a death.It's different from other certain series , and that shows you how mature is Gungrave.

This. I really like Brandon as a character because we are able to see his emotions and what he thinks is right and wrong but it never gets melodramatic about it. He sees things that he disagrees with, realizes he can't change them, and deals with it. Plus he's good with his fists :P Hooray for MCs that aren't whiny high schoolers!

Show is moving at a brisk pace, plot is forwarded quite a bit every episode so far. It kind of reminds me of a much, much better Requiem for the Phantom.
Apr 19, 2015 9:02 AM

Aug 2013
Overall a Good episode still nothing outa this world, but I did really like the Thomas cameo.
Jul 24, 2015 11:30 AM

Feb 2015
The progression of the story is slow but solid. It's been a while since i watched a catchy anime like Gungrave.
Oct 5, 2015 11:13 AM

Jul 2009
I really can't get myself to like Harry...
Oct 12, 2015 12:32 AM

Mar 2012
Brandon meeting Maria is probably not gonna end well : /
May 25, 2016 1:53 PM

Jun 2015
Who thought it was a good idea for Brandon to manage phone calls? Just why?

This is arguably a funnier plan than Griffith assigning Guts in a role as assassin (The guy has a larger-than-life sized sword! How can he possibly be subtle and secretive???)
Oct 20, 2016 10:10 AM
Feb 2015
i think the next episode is when he will be betrayed
Mar 3, 2017 7:45 PM
Feb 2017
bmoore07 said:
Who thought it was a good idea for Brandon to manage phone calls? Just why?

This is arguably a funnier plan than Griffith assigning Guts in a role as assassin (The guy has a larger-than-life sized sword! How can he possibly be subtle and secretive???)

Lol, that's a funny comparison.
Mar 23, 2017 6:03 PM

Jan 2014
Good episode..

The plot is developing nicely.

That phone scene! Brandon: "Good afternoon" lol xD
Jul 13, 2017 6:34 AM

Jul 2008
I really have to wonder where Brandon's head is at. He was in a daze for the whole episode. He needs to wake up and make some decisions.
Sep 5, 2017 12:43 AM

Jun 2016
I really enjoyed this a lot. I love how relationships are done in this anime, they feel really real. The way Brandon and Harry are when they're together, the atmosphere of the entire anime sky rockets. For a gritty, sad and violent world, it's incredibly noticeable when we get brief moments of bliss and those are always when we get the highlights of individuals being together. Mr.Widge, if I spelt his name wrong I just mean Brandon's boss, as he warmed up to Brandon, and as he took responsibility for those kills understanding what they meant, and how he returned to his sickly mother comforting her, all of these moments really showed us some warm moments in this cold world. I even liked the warming up of his co-worker with the face of a rat, when he called him new-face or whatever and pushed him around before, he patted him on the shoulder and told him about their boss with a smile this time. It's really well done.
And Brandon, even if he is an awkward, quiet boy who's in it for all the wrong reasons and ends up being kind of pathetic, or in better words tragic in how his life is essentially dictated by his relationships with others, ends up being a great tool to tell this story. It is his reluctance to be an individual that highlights his relationship with Harry and Maria and it really supports that side of the story.
Was Harry trying to manipulate Brandon to rise the ranks with him by telling him about Maria?

I was very pleased with the subversion of the jewel thieves, who appeared at the beginning as unsympathetic evil scumbags, doing a patented evil laugh together as they were revealed to be dudes in it too deep. They had no idea who they were stealing from, and to keep face they have to die, a fate worse than being caught by the police. They cower in fear, the once seemingly 1D villains cower in fear by none other than sweet Mr.Widge who's just doing his job. They were immediately, to me, changed in my mind from evil amoeba I had rolled my eyes at, to a pair of low tier criminal victims in the game way too deep, all by bad luck, and doomed to death for it. Shifts how you view morality in a pretty powerful way.
So yes, overall pretty great episode.

Oh, I had actually forgotten to address this, but I saw some people mention it in this thread and it reminded me. I do think the portrayal of death in this anime is very mature, in so far as Brandon has accepted that the world they live in is horrible and death is a daily thing. Death is something that's surrounded him, most likely his whole life. For him to become emotional, or unable to function, or to try to stop such a mechanical part of society, that would be out of character for him. It's gross how mundane murder and death is, but even if Brandon clearly disagrees with it he has come to terms with it. For that, I give this anime respect, it's a really gritty and interesting way to look at death thematically.
gfsdfgsdgsdfgsSep 5, 2017 12:52 AM
Nov 6, 2017 8:36 AM

Dec 2015
I recognized the 2 guys Harry introduced this episode, they were with him in the office during episode 1.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Feb 12, 2018 9:16 PM
Jul 2017
Another good episode... Harry has sure changed in 4 months and also met some interesting new friends... and brandon answering the phone, definitely the wrong person to be taking calls lol
Mar 20, 2018 5:51 PM
Dec 2014
I wonder how Brandon will betray Hary.
Apr 21, 2018 12:55 PM

Jan 2013
That was careless to go there after a clear warning like that, but anyway. Brandon answering phones - a brilliant idea xD
Apr 15, 2020 2:02 PM

Nov 2016
Starting from the bottom, but Harry already made siginificant progress in climbing up the ranks and having some influence. Especially enjoyed the interactions and the world building in this episode.

Also liked the contrast between Widge's job and private life. Even guys like him make their mom worry xD

Quite hooked and I'm looking forward to more.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 7, 2020 4:21 AM

Mar 2020
Another great episode, though I have a few grievances with it.

I think Brandon's experience with Millennion should have been shown in more gratuitous detail, since the conflict of interest would have gone a long way in developing his character. I also don't understand why Harry and Brandon are considered to be close friends, since their intentions appear to be the complete opposites of one another. I doubt this would be the first time Harry has prioritised greed and self-preservation over the lives of other people, though to be fair Brandon has also sacrificed human life in favour of getting what he wants.

This show is complex, though I'm not sure whether some of its eccentricities are intentional or not. Regardless, I'm really enjoying it so far and am definitely looking forward to more.
XeroBeatNov 7, 2020 4:41 AM
Apr 13, 2023 3:54 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I'm curious to see how they'll both evolve inside the mafia... but Maria's case is difficult for Brandon, I'm wondering what will happen now that he met her again...
Sep 25, 2023 3:03 AM

Dec 2022
What the fuck are they racing? Those definitely aren't horses.

Harry desires to drag Brandon up the proverbial ladder with him. It's difficult to tell how much of it could be attributed to Harry simply being overly pushy about what he sees as the best interests for his friend, since he hasn't displayed any ulterior motives for doing so. However, he's revealed himself to be aware about Brandon's affection towards Maria being his motivator for leaving the town they formerly lived in. For all intents and purposes, Harry appears to be looking out for Brandon, but who knows if the lines will blur between "looking out for him" and "trying to manage his existence".

Shaded Horizon

Mar 4, 7:56 AM
May 2017
Hopefully, it call goes well.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 3 Discussion

Beatnik - Apr 9, 2009

30 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 11, 4:25 PM

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tzuno - Jul 11, 2009

112 by Kayarbee70 »»
Apr 7, 6:14 PM

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 25 Discussion

Tzuno - Jul 11, 2009

31 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 3, 9:59 PM

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 24 Discussion

Tzuno - Jul 11, 2009

46 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 3, 9:33 PM

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 23 Discussion

TitanioVerde - Sep 16, 2009

24 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 3, 12:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.