Forum Settings
Forums

Funimation Acquires Strike Witches and Linebarrels

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
 
#1
Apr 9, 2009 4:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 4384
According to the official blog, Funimation acquired "Strike Witches" and "Kurogane no Linebarrels" from Gonzo. Both of the series will be released in early 2010.

Source: Funimation official blog

Related topic: GONZO To Be Delisted and One of the Founder Members Leaves the Company
Modified by dtshyk, Apr 9, 2009 4:15 PM
 
#2
Apr 9, 2009 4:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 4528
Funi loves Gonzo alot.
 
#3
Apr 9, 2009 4:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 654
that was bound to happen sooner or later..
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
 
 
#4
Apr 9, 2009 4:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 481
Does this mean Strike Witches will be dub? This could be interesting.
 
#5
Apr 9, 2009 4:21 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 29127
All I hope is that Strike Witches won't be a crappy dubbing >_>

Music is from the soul~ ♥
 
#6
Apr 9, 2009 4:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 2004
Lol Linebarrels, I'm doing my best not to drop it but its hard.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
#7
Apr 9, 2009 4:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5601
Cookie-chan said:
All I know is that Strike Witches will be a crappy dubbing >_>


Fixed.
 
#8
Apr 9, 2009 4:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 207
Metroid_Ex said:
Lol Linebarrels, I'm doing my best not to drop it but its hard.


Me2.
 
#9
Apr 9, 2009 4:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3708
Oh Lawdy. Funi is just asking for it now, aren't they?

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
 
 
Apr 9, 2009 4:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 654
Asako said:
Cookie-chan said:
All I know is that Strike Witches will be a crappy dubbing >_>


Fixed.

Ahaha! I second that!
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
 
Apr 9, 2009 5:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 577
HAH, it was bound to happen, Funimation sucks up anything GONZO makes.
 
Apr 9, 2009 5:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 140
Heh, FUNi picked up Linebarrels. Well, it's their money to throw away.
 
Apr 9, 2009 5:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 1735
wow another crap series picked up by funi. their board meetings probably go like the following.

President: so we have XXX money to spend by friday. any suggestions?
Member 1: well we have a list of average to horrible shows, should we take a look at it?
President: what are you waiting for, i love being a bottom feeder!
Member 2: well we got loli flying girls....but
President: Loli! shizzat! lets get that before someone else does.
Member 1: well there is also this mecha anime where everyone comes back to life no matter how many times they die.
President: WHAAAAAAAT no way! who doesn't love an anime where everyone is invincible. SAAAAWEEEEEEEET we are going to make so much money off of these.


end of year financial report. Funimation files bankruptcy from buying to much stupid shit.
 
Apr 9, 2009 5:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 464
crazy_eights said:


President: so we have XXX money to spend by friday. any suggestions?
Member 1: well we have a list of average to horrible shows, should we take a look at it?
President: what are you waiting for, i love being a bottom feeder!
Member 2: well we got loli flying girls....but
President: Loli! shizzat! lets get that before someone else does.
Member 1: well there is also this mecha anime where everyone comes back to life no matter how many times they die.
President: WHAAAAAAAT no way! who doesn't love an anime where everyone is invincible. SAAAAWEEEEEEEET we are going to make so much money off of these.


If that how their meetings go, I want to work at Funimation.
 
 
Apr 9, 2009 5:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 437
Not interested. Funimation is treating the anime industry like a never ending milking teet. They just keep on bringing over anime after anime even if the show sucks.
 
 
Apr 9, 2009 5:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 1365
Funimation is NOT fun at all...
Hello!
 
Apr 9, 2009 5:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 437
Crazy_Eights, I totally see where your coming from. Funimation has made a lot of progress and has helped the anime industry a lot. But they keep on licensing really crappy shows and selling them for 60.00. They also seem to license like they have unlimited money, milking the industry. Instead of Strike Witches, they could have brought over and dubbed the new Dragon Ball Z special. That would probably sell more than Strike Witches anyways. Gonzo seems to be giving these away rather easily, probably because they are nearly bankrupt. So this is a great time to take advantage of their situation. EVEN though Gonzo mostly sucks. They have a few good one but a lot of there shit is terrible.
 
Apr 9, 2009 5:42 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 0
Still waiting on the Gonzo show I care for: Bokurano.

Don't see how a loli anime managed to make it stateside before it.
 
Apr 9, 2009 6:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 980
gr33nhippo said:
Still waiting on the Gonzo show I care for: Bokurano.

Don't see how a loli anime managed to make it stateside before it.
Same.


#NBHNC
 
Apr 9, 2009 6:08 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 31864
Oh wow. I thought Strike Witches would never be licensed.
It's too loli for the West.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
 
Apr 9, 2009 6:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 995
I can't wait for Strike Witches dub! :D

(Of course, I haven't seen it all yet myself cuz I'm waiting for the DVD releases, but they're releasing them so damn slowly out there :/ )
You can find me on IRC.
 
Apr 9, 2009 6:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 481
ukonkivi said:
Oh wow. I thought Strike Witches would never be licensed.
It's too loli for the West.

People here who want to buy it in store may get some weird looks, which is why I may just rent them over Netflix.
 
Apr 9, 2009 6:53 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 0
I'm not surprised. It was just a matter of time before it happened...
 
Apr 9, 2009 7:21 PM
SmugCat

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3965
Srtike Witches? Over here? Most westerners already seem to think anime is all about pantie shots and under-aged girls, this is just feeding that thought... lol
 
 
Apr 9, 2009 7:32 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 193
I can't believe Linebarrels got licensed. No one talks about it very much and what I do remember people saying about it was that it was bad. Really, it's one of the last things I would have expected to be picked up.

And how many people are actually going to go out and buy something like Strike Witches? Just hard-core otaku and then only the otaku that like loli and then only the otaku that buy DVDs.

They should try to pick up more popular shows.
 
Apr 9, 2009 7:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1067
Hikari-tan said:
Srtike Witches? Over here? Most westerners already seem to think anime is all about pantie shots and under-aged girls, this is just feeding that thought... lol


my thoughts too. i barely made it through strike witches, finally decided to finish it after the series had completed several months later.
 
 
Apr 9, 2009 7:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 5547
Mmm. Strike Witches is surprising. I can see it being a wonderful move, or a terrible move, depending on how many people want it enough to buy it. It certainly is popular enough. Buying it online seems like the option embarrassed people would turn to.

But Linebarrels? WHY? Are they wanting to fuck themselves over?
 
Apr 9, 2009 7:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3268
windy said:
But Linebarrels? WHY? Are they wanting to fuck themselves over?
no u
 
Apr 9, 2009 7:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 481
windy said:
Buying it online seems like the option embarrassed people would turn to.

This is why I love the internet and netflix but I share my netflix account with my mother so that's the only embarrassment I have to go through.
 
Apr 9, 2009 8:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3268
metalsnakezero said:
windy said:
Buying it online seems like the option embarrassed people would turn to.

This is why I love the internet and netflix but I share my netflix account with my mother so that's the only embarrassment I have to go through.
inb4disowned
 
Apr 9, 2009 8:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 2265
Two things that have already been legally streamed subbed by the Japanese companies? Way to be boring, Funi. Nothing I'm interested in either way.

I heard Linebarrels sucked, but it also looks super-marketable (mecha + well-known studio + people who don't read reviews = profit) so it makes sense.

oh, these little earthquakes
 
Apr 9, 2009 8:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 58
I get the feeling that Funimation will be using the broadcast version of Strike Witches on their DVDs. Which sadly means a "no-buy" from me if that should happen.
 
Apr 9, 2009 9:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 5382
Strife91 said:
Metroid_Ex said:
Lol Linebarrels, I'm doing my best not to drop it but its hard.


Me2.


dropped it after first ep. just haven't finalized it yet.
 
Apr 9, 2009 11:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 947
lol i can see strike witches selling alot to the pedos

yes its too lolli for the west it may be censored and edited lol

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
 
 
Apr 10, 2009 12:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1818
Wow, people act as if this is such a controversy...
 
Apr 10, 2009 12:57 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 31864
metalsnakezero said:
People here who want to buy it in store may get some weird looks, which is why I may just rent them over Netflix.

As a public Pagan, Black Metal fan, gender role questioner, and Bisexual, I really couldn't care much for "keeping my power level down" when it comes to anime and manga. Even in the case of loli and shota stuff.

I can understand a worry about doing something illegal in public. But I care nothing for public decency and especially worrying about buying something in front of a bunch of people I don't know at a store. If being myself makes random store people angry, irritated, scared, then I get the added bonus of ruffling the feathers of idiots.

To be honest, people who act out of the vein of the show jackass, are much more adventurous and fun that people who could care so much about the opinions of a bunch of random strangers in public with idiotic opinions. You'd might as not be honest on the internet because you don't want people to think bad of you. People treat it as different but it's the same darn thing, the only difference is a screen.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
 
Apr 10, 2009 4:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 995
Protoculture said:
lol i can see strike witches selling alot to the pedos

yes its too lolli for the west it may be censored and edited lol


It won't be. FUNimation doesn't censor these days--they haven't in a long time.

Only 4kids censors and edits. Say it with me, everybody. Only 4kids censors and edits. Only 4kids censors and edits.
You can find me on IRC.
 
Apr 10, 2009 4:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 772
ukonkivi said:
Oh wow. I thought Strike Witches would never be licensed.
It's too loli for the West.


Same here!! XD
Really took me by surprise...
 
 
Apr 11, 2009 9:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 124
Apparently you guys missed where FUNimation and Gonzo announced a strategic alliance to where FUNimation automatically licenses any Gonzo (past, current or future) series. These 2 are just the first, I'd expect Shangri-La, Arad Senki and Saki near the end of the summer or so.
 
Apr 11, 2009 12:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3268
Kuyukly said:
Protoculture said:
lol i can see strike witches selling alot to the pedos

yes its too lolli for the west it may be censored and edited lol


It won't be. FUNimation doesn't censor these days--they haven't in a long time.

Only 4kids censors and edits. Say it with me, everybody. Only 4kids censors and edits. Only 4kids censors and edits.
I'd like to see them license Strike Witches and see what they do with it.
 
Apr 11, 2009 1:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 995
llxwarbirdxll said:
Kuyukly said:
Protoculture said:
lol i can see strike witches selling alot to the pedos

yes its too lolli for the west it may be censored and edited lol


It won't be. FUNimation doesn't censor these days--they haven't in a long time.

Only 4kids censors and edits. Say it with me, everybody. Only 4kids censors and edits. Only 4kids censors and edits.
I'd like to see them license Strike Witches and see what they do with it.


Oh god, 4kids + Strike Witches...one can only imagine... DX
You can find me on IRC.
 
Apr 15, 2009 7:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 481
Kuyukly said:
llxwarbirdxll said:
Kuyukly said:
Protoculture said:
lol i can see strike witches selling alot to the pedos

yes its too lolli for the west it may be censored and edited lol


It won't be. FUNimation doesn't censor these days--they haven't in a long time.

Only 4kids censors and edits. Say it with me, everybody. Only 4kids censors and edits. Only 4kids censors and edits.
I'd like to see them license Strike Witches and see what they do with it.


Oh god, 4kids + Strike Witches...one can only imagine... DX

The world would just implode on to itself if that happen.
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.