Forum Settings
Forums
New
What operation system do you run to fulfill all your Anime needs?
GNU/Linux (linux)
16.6%
Windows 2000/XP/2003
40.5%
Windows Vista/2008/7
30.1%
FreeBSD/*BSD
0.0%
Solaris
0.0%
Mac
10.4%
Other?
2.5%
163 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 9, 2009 12:56 AM

Sep 2007
evilsage4 said:
For some strange reason yes. And now I suddenly feel like a little boy again playing the "penis" game in the grocery store. lol
o_o
Apr 9, 2009 12:57 AM
Nov 2008
ashura said:
pffft it was such a pain getting most video formats working under suse linux. i doubt, i can be arsed setting up my linux laptop ever again.
i'm happy with my animes and windows xp system.

We'll if you ever decide to make the jump to linux again, you can PM me and I'll get ur codec problem sorted out ;)
Apr 9, 2009 1:05 AM

Oct 2007
windy said:
evilsage4 said:
somehow a thread about operating systems equates to penises.... Grwaaahh!
hey, i had to kill the argument before it started somehow.
I was being serious about my question, though.
Apr 9, 2009 1:11 AM
Nov 2008
llxwarbirdxll said:
windy said:
evilsage4 said:
somehow a thread about operating systems equates to penises.... Grwaaahh!
hey, i had to kill the argument before it started somehow.
I was being serious about my question, though.

What was the question?
GUI vs CLI?

IMO, CLI wins! woot woot!

EDIT
oh about "touching it".... I'm not commenting...
Apr 9, 2009 2:31 AM

Sep 2008
If I use mac OS X then I'm sure my clit will trump any other epenis.
Apr 9, 2009 2:32 AM

Mar 2008
Windows Vista and it sucks as, I want XP back :(:(
Apr 9, 2009 9:21 AM

Oct 2008
Linux is the safest hence it's used in banks.
Apr 9, 2009 10:53 AM

Aug 2008
Rebella said:

Apr 9, 2009 11:26 AM
May 2008
I use vista, people are always bitching about it but I have no problems with it.
Apr 9, 2009 3:16 PM

Mar 2009
Windows XP, it's the best!
Apr 9, 2009 4:29 PM

Nov 2008
Windows XP ftw!
vista sucks
Apr 9, 2009 5:51 PM
Nov 2008
thanner said:
Rebella said:

*ALERT* Security breach!!! Shut the system down!!
Apr 9, 2009 7:21 PM

Jun 2007
evilsage4 said:
thanner said:
Rebella said:

There has been an error and this ATM has had to shut down. This was your fault. Press any button to continue.
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Apr 9, 2009 7:23 PM

Oct 2007
OranSolus said:
evilsage4 said:
thanner said:
Rebella said:

There has been an error and this ATM has had to shut down. This was your fault. Press any button to continue.

Apr 9, 2009 8:31 PM
Nov 2008
AngelRayne said:
OranSolus said:
evilsage4 said:
thanner said:
Rebella said:

Top 10 worst uses for Windows
Apr 10, 2009 12:56 AM

Sep 2007
Apr 10, 2009 12:59 AM

Oct 2007
naikou said:
The fuck is BSD?
Apr 10, 2009 1:01 AM
Nov 2008
naikou said:

Haha! so true
Apr 10, 2009 1:02 AM

Sep 2007
llxwarbirdxll said:
The fuck is BSD?

Apr 10, 2009 1:06 AM

Sep 2008
tl;dr: XP is more stable then vista (imo and countless other opinion too), but several people put up with Vista because A: they don't use a comp enough to notice, B: 64 bit is more common with vista or C: preference. Also XP is a good solid OS for computing. Fuck all this other shit like powering ATMs and cars and shit with it.

Linux is probably safer but not everyone is going to put of with Linux interface and Linux apps.

Freeware is free so most people just torrent and get the costly OSs for free anyway.

And OS X is for macfags so I won't even get into it. They probably need a special OS to run that ten thousand dollar 32Gb RAM system mounted to those training wheels.

Offtopic: Wtf do you need 32Gb ram for anyway?
Edit: Ohh wait, your using a mac...
InevitableApr 10, 2009 1:11 AM
Apr 10, 2009 1:16 AM
Jun 2008
Linux and windows are equivalent for anime and manga purposes if you have proper codecs and software installed.

Rpgwiz said:

Offtopic: Wtf do you need 32Gb ram for anyway?
Edit: Ohh wait, your using a mac...

Using XP X64 with 8GB of ram for 2 reasons:
-Turning off pagefile
-Firefox purposes (week long surfing sessions without clearing cache)

I wonder if macs actually have a use for high amounts of ram...
Apr 10, 2009 1:20 AM

Sep 2007
sciwhiz said:
I wonder if macs actually have a use for high amounts of ram...
Yeah, so macfags can be all, "look at mah superior computah with 8 cores and 32 GB of ram. (Now if only I could get this darn Starcraft working...)".
naikouApr 10, 2009 11:47 AM
Apr 10, 2009 2:34 AM

Oct 2008
thanner said:
Rebella said:

I doubt it's real xDDD
Apr 10, 2009 6:11 AM

Oct 2008
If i could use a different OS and adapt successfully, i would.

Sadly, i can't due to being heavily reliant to Windows and the fact that most programs I use are for Windows.

Guess Windows XP is my choice
Apr 10, 2009 6:52 AM

May 2008
Windows 2000/XP/2003

Music is from the soul~ ♥
Apr 10, 2009 8:25 AM

Apr 2007
I could get away with using Linux...but WindowsXP is more compatible with programs and games.

Apr 10, 2009 8:43 AM

Sep 2007
I use windows 7. It cunt punches every os I've used before.

Ubuntu
openSUSE
Apple's Leopard
every windows os from 95 up
Apr 10, 2009 10:45 AM

Mar 2009
Windows XP :O

Apr 10, 2009 11:02 AM
May 2008

had to
Apr 10, 2009 11:42 AM
Nov 2008
This comment will usually start a flame war. So I was hoping someone else would say it. As I don't like bringing it up because I don't like offending people or make them feel like I'm targeting them.

But I'll say it anyways, the reason I don't use Windows or any MS product (unless under the MS-PL) is purely political and in a sense a moral delima as well.
I don't use them because they are proprietary/non-open-code and no one but MS can see the source code, therefore I can't trust the product. Why? because often times, spyware and malware are hidden inside of proprietary code. Examples are: MS search tool since XP submits query data to MS, MS mediaplayer sends music habits to MS, Realplayer does the same thing. And these are surely not alone in what they do. Spyware and malware have a hard time existing in open code because it's so easy to find it and take it out.
But my biggest grip of all is DRM. Which Vista so heavily "features". DRM is vista, per the license agreement, means that MS owns your OS as far as government law will permit:
Snip-it from the license agreement-

The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the software. Microsoft reserves all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement. In doing so, you must comply with any technical limitations in the software that only allow you to use it in certain ways.

They can and have controlled users systems without the users consent (I can give examples but then this would get really long) and to me, thats just really bad capitalism at work. And I can't nor won't stand for it.

Those are the main reasons I use linux or properly said: GNU/linux.

Here are some very insightful videos on the matter:
Copyright
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNBMdDaYhZA
alt:http://www.archive.org/details/20090203-Richard-Stallman-UofC-01

Software patents
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6390784544771380326

Free(as in freedom) software
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8249207225383797652&q=richard+stallman&total=341&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=3

A search on http://www.archive.org for "richard stallman" will yield many good results as well, but in free software video formats. (vorbis,theora)

I highly recommend the videos. They are long, so maybe you could bookmark them and watch when you have time or while you're cooking or something.

I realize that people really "need" MS for business and work. And I'll say this only once: that employment should probably take precedence over politics. Though a business world without software freedom is a business world less productive and more restricted.
Apr 10, 2009 12:29 PM
Jun 2008

it won't start a flame war as long as no one posts useless comments like "Windoz suks" with no supporting arguments.

If you seriously use open source firmware exclusively on all your personal machines, then you have all my respect and admiration, for I know only 2 other people who can.

While we're talking about the fact that we're sending out data to corporations, I find that google is the worse offender in this area. They've now amassed enough data to bypass the disabled "rememeber my what I enter in search bar" in firefox and it give you a list of the most popular searches. But that's a whole other story.

There are quite a few reasons why many people can't get rid of windows completely even though they have all the willpower.
-Lack of driver support for hardware
-Lack of game support (Cedega is good, but not perfect)
-Steep learning curve
-Codecs almost never come preinstalled
-Lack of propaganda
-Unusual form of support

The last 3 are in the way of being fixed. Without Canonical backing Ubuntu, linux would still be in its 90s days. Now we just need hardware and gaming companies to back us up.

Unlike what you think, people do not "need" MS for work and business. Unless we're talking about tech support.

My sister is the living proof. She is one of the 2 people who lives off linux exclusively. Because her first and current computer was built in the goal of running linux so all the hardware is compliant. She was brought up on kubuntu 6.06 and has never bothered to upgrade. All she needs to survive is:
-firefox
-open office
-audio and video codecs/software
-chat client
-torrent and frostwire
-burning software
I'm seriously wondering if she'll ever need to go on windows...

Apr 10, 2009 12:59 PM
Nov 2008
I had a job for several years that required me to do Windows Administration and networking. After realizing the error of my ways, I did what was in my power to impove my situation and move to a job position where I wouldn't have to support windows any more, but rather a free and open network.

My point is that it's hard to get away from the non-free world and still maintain a job. I didn't quite my windows job until I was in a position to move to a better field. Which I think was the right thing to do.

No, I unfortunately I still can't (shamefully won't) completely move away from non-free software. Though I do really try and avoid it. You'll notice some of the links I posted go to youtube which uses patented flv's. It's an evil i hypocritically still use. And i don't use open firmware either. And on top of that I use proprietary nvidia drivers in my linux install. And I play WoW (on wine). lol

While it's hard to get away from the non-free world, I do think that people should at least try like I do. Because when people really understand the politics and ethics of it, I think they will realize the benefits.
Apr 10, 2009 1:08 PM

Oct 2007
Fade said:

had to
Mac should've replied with "Photoshop".
Apr 10, 2009 1:18 PM

Feb 2009
"Apple products tell the world you are creative and unique. They are an exclusive product line only used by every white college student, designer, writer, English teacher, and hipster on the planet.

You see, a long time ago Apple’s were super popular among layout artists and graphic designers. Then Apple released Final Cut Pro and became the standard for film editors. As a result, lots of creative industries used Apple computers instead of PCs. Eventually, people started making the connection, and all of a sudden all white people need to have a Mac.

When you ask white people about Mac’s they will say “oh, it’s so much better than Windows,” “it’s just easier to use,” “they are so cutting edge,” and so forth. What’s amazing is that white people NEED to meet people who use Windows to justify themselves spending an extra $500 for a pretty looking machine.

It is also important that white people are reminded of their creativity, and remember you need a Mac to creatively check email, creatively check websites, and creatively watch DVDs on planes."
- stuffwhitepeoplelike.com
Apr 10, 2009 4:08 PM

Jun 2008
If you want to play games, Windows.

If not, and just gonna watch anime and stuff Linux.

Why care about some fucking viruses and stuff when you don't have needs for windows?
Apr 10, 2009 4:14 PM

Sep 2008
Windows xp
Apr 15, 2009 12:15 PM

Jun 2008
7 X64
Apr 15, 2009 1:08 PM

Jan 2009
Windows Vista, althought I use sometimes linux when I want to watch anime during classes (Im on computer engeneering, so everyone has linux and with that I don't stand out).
Apr 15, 2009 1:12 PM

Apr 2009
Definitely Mac.
Apr 15, 2009 1:39 PM

Jun 2008
MAC or linux.

And not windows. >_>
Apr 15, 2009 1:42 PM
Jul 2018
Windows Vista

Linux hates me and I think he hates my codecs too. :(
Apr 15, 2009 3:52 PM
Nov 2008
DraZeR said:
Windows Vista

Linux hates me and I think he hates my codecs too. :(

Linux loves you man! You just gotta love it back...
Apr 15, 2009 3:53 PM

Oct 2007
Darkii said:
If you want to play games, Windows.

If not, and just gonna watch anime and stuff Linux.

Why care about some fucking viruses and stuff when you don't have needs for windows?

QFT. Windows is too bloated but you can't not have windows though.
Apr 16, 2009 5:14 AM
Dec 2008
Vista is pretty cool and all, people knock Microsoft a little too much.

I use Linux btw.
Apr 16, 2009 10:31 AM
Nov 2008
Clobclark said:
people knock Microsoft a little too much.

But doesn't the mega trillion dollar giant deserve it?
Apr 16, 2009 7:54 PM
Dec 2008
evilsage4 said:
Clobclark said:

Not really, it's pretty easy to just change over to another OS. I don't understand why people want OTHER people to change THEIR OS.
Apr 16, 2009 8:07 PM
Nov 2008
Clobclark said:
evilsage4 said:
Clobclark said:

Not really, it's pretty easy to just change over to another OS. I don't understand why people want OTHER people to change THEIR OS.

No one is forcing you to... only suggesting that there are alternatives... l
Though it's not *your* OS if you're running with vista or 7:

The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the software. Microsoft reserves all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement. In doing so, you must comply with any technical limitations in the software that only allow you to use it in certain ways.

MS owns the system.
Apr 16, 2009 10:11 PM

Oct 2008
Been using Vista since 06. Love it.
Bottom line with Vista is:

It works great on gaming PCs and the like. - Mine
It sucks ass on anything and everything else. - Not mine
Apr 17, 2009 7:15 AM
Dec 2008
evilsage4 said:
Clobclark said:
evilsage4 said:
Clobclark said:

MS owns the system.

Dude, way too serious about this.
Apr 17, 2009 10:45 AM
Nov 2008
Clobclark said:
evilsage4 said:
Clobclark said:
evilsage4 said:
Clobclark said:

MS owns the system.

Dude, way too serious about this.

Did I offend you?
kazooparcelApr 17, 2009 10:49 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.