Forum Settings
Forums
New
What operation system do you run to fulfill all your Anime needs?
GNU/Linux (linux)
16.6%
Windows 2000/XP/2003
40.5%
Windows Vista/2008/7
30.1%
FreeBSD/*BSD
0.0%
Solaris
0.0%
Mac
10.4%
Other?
2.5%
163 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
May 11, 2009 10:05 PM

Dec 2007
Hahaha, I thought this meant best opening song when I opened it. What a disappointment!
May 12, 2009 6:51 AM

Dec 2007
Jellygoose said:

if there is an infinite amount of people capable of making viruses for linux (which there isn't) then it would be true. otherwise you'd be stealing customer's from yourself (which is the case here). this equals less virus-makers / kernel, not more.

You would be surprised of how many users there really are. Try imagining the amount of websites in the world, that'd be a big number, no? Now imagine that there's faaaaaaaaaaaaaar less servercomputers on the planet than regular ones. Did that help you imagine the amount of computer users? Don't get me started on the amount of developers either, that's also a ridiculous amount. I believe you're underestimating it.

Jellygoose said:
it seems you're arguing that virus-enthusiasts get excited or something about making viruses for linux because of the diversity and secure nature of the kernel. While this may or may not be true, it doesn't really matter since most malware makers are there for economic reasons and the only thing that matter is effectiveness. ie how many will get infected and how fast. The kernel variations is (one of many) things keeping effectiveness low for malware on unix-based systems which means that there will be alot less people interested in making malware for linux.

You render malware programmers the wrong way. Malware is mostly create by people that are curious, want to show off their skills, or want credit for finding security holes whatever it takes. Also, before you forget, there is more cellphone malware than you are aware of, most cellphones run Embedded Linux. For every DVD player there is a hack/crack or exploit that one can use to make it (for example) region free, DVD players mostly run on Embedded Linux. Do I need to continue?

Jellygoose said:
linux will probably never even begin to come close to the enormous amount of malware that is made for windows. To even have the slightest probabilty of this happening linux would basically have to surpass windows' user-base. This isn't going to happen as long as new desktop pc's come with windows pre-installed, games start being made for linux etc.. we're talking a whole different world lol.

Jellygoose said:
so no. based on how things are looking today linux will never have a "comparable pool of malware" period.

That is the world right now, but, knowing the world of computers, tides change pretty much daily.
May 12, 2009 10:41 AM

Feb 2008
Chavez said:
Jellygoose said:

if there is an infinite amount of people capable of making viruses for linux (which there isn't) then it would be true. otherwise you'd be stealing customer's from yourself (which is the case here). this equals less virus-makers / kernel, not more.

You would be surprised of how many users there really are. Try imagining the amount of websites in the world, that'd be a big number, no? Now imagine that there's faaaaaaaaaaaaaar less servercomputers on the planet than regular ones. Did that help you imagine the amount of computer users? Don't get me started on the amount of developers either, that's also a ridiculous amount. I believe you're underestimating it.

you are assuming every computer user is capable of writing working malware for linux. I highly doubt that to be the case.

Chavez said:
Jellygoose said:
it seems you're arguing that virus-enthusiasts get excited or something about making viruses for linux because of the diversity and secure nature of the kernel. While this may or may not be true, it doesn't really matter since most malware makers are there for economic reasons and the only thing that matter is effectiveness. ie how many will get infected and how fast. The kernel variations is (one of many) things keeping effectiveness low for malware on unix-based systems which means that there will be alot less people interested in making malware for linux.

You render malware programmers the wrong way. Malware is mostly create by people that are curious, want to show off their skills, or want credit for finding security holes whatever it takes. Also, before you forget, there is more cellphone malware than you are aware of, most cellphones run Embedded Linux. For every DVD player there is a hack/crack or exploit that one can use to make it (for example) region free, DVD players mostly run on Embedded Linux. Do I need to continue?

10years ago malware was created by people curious. Since then the cyber-criminal's have increased enourmously. Most malware is not created by people curious anymore. Most malware is created either to gather information on the user's behaviour (and sell it) or to steal credit card numbers, passwords etc. This is reality, the thousands of trojans and other malware created each months are for purely economic and criminal purposes, not some curious kid having fun. Malware is a fucking industry today.

Chavez said:
Jellygoose said:
linux will probably never even begin to come close to the enormous amount of malware that is made for windows. To even have the slightest probabilty of this happening linux would basically have to surpass windows' user-base. This isn't going to happen as long as new desktop pc's come with windows pre-installed, games start being made for linux etc.. we're talking a whole different world lol.

Jellygoose said:
so no. based on how things are looking today linux will never have a "comparable pool of malware" period.

That is the world right now, but, knowing the world of computers, tides change pretty much daily.

this isn't going to change save for MS going bankrupt or something like that.
May 12, 2009 11:10 AM
Nov 2008
Don't get my thread locked. Agree to disagree
May 12, 2009 11:26 AM

Apr 2009
Two words.

Lain OS

I've only ever used windows, but I have to say I WANT this, but apparently the project died a long time ago. I call upon the twin gods of programming and anime to resurrect this noble endeavor and bless the masses with its bounties.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
May 12, 2009 11:28 AM

Feb 2008
CDRW said:
Two words.

Lain OS

I've only ever used windows, but I have to say I WANT this, but apparently the project died a long time ago. I call upon the twin gods of programming and anime to resurrect this noble endeavor and bless the masses with its bounties.

Wouldn't that fall under the Linux/Unix? I am sure you could customize any *nix out there to be like this haha.
May 12, 2009 12:20 PM

Feb 2009
Windows XP Media Centre Edition Service Pack 2

i dont feel i need to justify my choice of OS to anyone, i use it purely as its the one that came with my PC
Anime makes me smile!

:-)
May 12, 2009 1:52 PM

Dec 2007
Jellygoose said:
you are assuming every computer user is capable of writing working malware for linux. I highly doubt that to be the case.

Would you at least try to read my post? Developers were the case here?

Jellygoose said:
10years ago malware was created by people curious. Since then the cyber-criminal's have increased enourmously. Most malware is not created by people curious anymore. Most malware is created either to gather information on the user's behaviour (and sell it) or to steal credit card numbers, passwords etc. This is reality, the thousands of trojans and other malware created each months are for purely economic and criminal purposes, not some curious kid having fun. Malware is a fucking industry today.

Oh, so then people aren't persistent to find security holes and exploit them, it's only money in the game (which we all know that is the least thing people want).

Jellygoose said:

........and what you're trying to say is...?

In general, you either don't take my arguments as a whole, or you're ignoring key parts of them on purpose. Either way, this thread isn't interesting anymore and evilsage4 is afraid of getting his discussion locked, I don't want to be the cause of it again.

/ignorescriptkiddies

/inb4imascriptkiddiemyselfandeveryoneelseisbetterbecausetheyarefromtheinternet
May 12, 2009 2:02 PM
Nov 2008
Chavez said:

Either way, this thread isn't interesting anymore and evilsage4 is afraid of getting his discussion locked, I don't want to be the cause of it again.

^^
May 12, 2009 3:08 PM

Feb 2008
I don't see why us having a discussion would get the thread locked.. as long as we keep from insulting eachother :)

Chavez said:
Jellygoose said:

Would you at least try to read my post? Developers were the case here?

well then you're assuming every developer knows how to write malware for linux which is also false. Not like i'd call virus makers developers at any rate either way.. but that's besides the point.

the fact that linux has such large core variety will NOT lead to more malware developers PER core. there's just not any logic to this. It may lead to a small increase OVERALL if we assume you are correct in all your other statements but it can never lead to an increase PER core.

Chavez said:
Jellygoose said:

Oh, so then people aren't persistent to find security holes and exploit them, it's only money in the game (which we all know that is the least thing people want).

there's a small minority that develops virus/worms etc just to prove something can be broken. yes. But the kind of malware that those people develop are often harmless and only meant for spreading and to prove a point. 99.9% of all malware (yes, I pulled that number from my ass, don't take it literally) is made for the sole purpose of making money, one way or another. If you don't believe this you should get up to date with the latest security reports.

Chavez said:
Jellygoose said:

........and what you're trying to say is...?

you said "tides change pretty much daily" and I said that linux will not overtake windows in a day.

Chavez said:

In general, you either don't take my arguments as a whole, or you're ignoring key parts of them on purpose. Either way, this thread isn't interesting anymore and evilsage4 is afraid of getting his discussion locked, I don't want to be the cause of it again.

/ignorescriptkiddies

/inb4imascriptkiddiemyselfandeveryoneelseisbetterbecausetheyarefromtheinternet

sry if you feel i'm ignoring key parts of your argument, I hate when people do that, but I really do think i've understood and answered to every part so far though. But feel free to point out if I missed something.
May 12, 2009 3:13 PM

Feb 2008
Obviously a lot of people are missing the question...what's the best OS from a anime geek point of view lol
May 12, 2009 3:18 PM
Nov 2008
keainanhai said:
Obviously a lot of people are missing the question...what's the best OS from a anime geek point of view lol

Flame wars are inevitable with this topic. I got into a small one earlier in this thread. ;)
I just don't like it when there are bad feelings after.
May 12, 2009 3:22 PM

Feb 2008
evilsage4 said:
keainanhai said:

Flame wars are inevitable with this topic. I got into a small one earlier in this thread. ;)

Yeah it is too bad. But don't worry, I'll try not to think any less of you Windows people ;) Hehehe
May 12, 2009 3:36 PM
Nov 2008
keainanhai said:
evilsage4 said:
keainanhai said:

Yeah it is too bad. But don't worry, I'll try not to think any less of you Windows people ;) Hehehe

Same here. hehe
Linux FTW
May 12, 2009 4:26 PM

Feb 2008
evilsage4 said:

Linux FTW

i 3:rd that :p

now if I could just get my podxt working... :)
May 13, 2009 1:59 AM
Dec 2008
Windows 7 is out I think, at least for businesses. Someone say if it's any good.
May 13, 2009 2:52 AM

Jun 2008
Linux >>>> MAC > Windows
May 13, 2009 1:12 PM
Dec 2008
Hurf Durf Linux
May 13, 2009 2:23 PM

Sep 2008
Clobclark said:
Windows 7 is out I think, at least for businesses. Someone say if it's any good.
With Windows 7, WMP 12 can play AVI and MP4 out the box without any extra steps.

Still doesn't make it the best though.
May 13, 2009 3:11 PM

Jul 2007
linux

mplayer > *

and with this post my post count has increased, making me 1 post cooler than before
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.