Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2009 1:20 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Holy crap, this was awesome.

Probably some of the best OP's and ED's I've seen in a while and the animation was superb.

Brings back some memories seeing FMA again. Quite a bit different this time around too. Can't wait to see more.

Epic episode.
VeroninMar 14, 2013 8:11 AM
Apr 5, 2009 1:22 AM

Jul 2007
So its original episode, which takes place before Liore and Deals with Isaac, character named once in manga.

OP is great

Episode, considering my hatred for anime originals was decent introduction for all the character, however showing Father was a mistake I think...

Animation quality was amazing tho.

They included the manga-start of chapter 1 as flashback(nooooo! scene), thus its all great.

Isaac himself was quite "MEH" character, although it was interesting to see them expand upon character who only had a name before now.

Fuhrer-manga-like-scene-finish of Isaac was greatly done though.

Episode ends with Bloody-red colored view of Lior Church.

Overall I would call it "Premiere Event Episode". A marketing decision to use "something different" from the first series for start.

Next week, Episode 2 should be "real start" of FMA, with Liore episode.

EDIT: God fracking damned ninjas...
Apr 5, 2009 1:23 AM

Feb 2008
It's an original episode? Must be why I've never seen it before in the manga or anime.
Apr 5, 2009 1:25 AM

Jan 2008
I can't comment on cideo/audio quality 'cause I watched a stream but overall it was decent. 3-4/5 for this ep plot-wise. OP music is godawful unless you like jpop. Gotta wait for hd raw.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Apr 5, 2009 1:26 AM

Jul 2007
Veronin said:
. OP music is godawful unless you like jpop

Was OP music a JPOP, it would not have such an awesome guitar riffs and female vocals :3
Apr 5, 2009 1:39 AM

Mar 2007
Isaac tasted Bradley's Wrath ~ Pun intended.....for those who understand ;)

(made by MistaCloudStrife ^^)
Apr 5, 2009 1:42 AM

Jan 2008
An 'original' episode? Thats hilarious. I thought the reason this remake existed was to actually follow the manga? I swear the makers are just laughing at all the fans while their pockets get stuffed with cash. (well, not like we're paying to watch it on TV anyway)
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Apr 5, 2009 1:42 AM

Feb 2008
kashim said:
OP music is godawful unless you like jpop. Gotta wait for hd raw.

I liked it a lot myself. Fits in with the show.
Apr 5, 2009 1:43 AM

Jan 2009
kashim said:
OP music is godawful unless you like jpop.

haha wow u suck..........YUI is so alsome

Apr 5, 2009 1:48 AM

Jan 2008
Music fits the OP but listened to separetely, oh well, it's bad.

haha wow u suck..........YUI is so alsome

Just because I don't like music you do doesn't mean I suck ;)

Was OP music a JPOP, it would not have such an awesome guitar riffs and female vocals :3

Well, it's more jpop than jrock imo.

An 'original' episode? Thats hilarious. I thought the reason this remake existed was to actually follow the manga? I swear the makers are just laughing at all the fans while their pockets get stuffed with cash. (well, not like we're paying to watch it on TV anyway)

This episode pampered manga readers (like me) and hopefully next ones will follow the original script.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Apr 5, 2009 1:49 AM

Dec 2007
That was just awesome. OP and ED were great (but appearance of young Hoho was surprising). I understood some of it so I'm proud of myself, but I will discuss properly after someone will release version with subs. BGM music is great, I want OST now!

Next one will follow manga I'm sure of it, next episode will start from the Liore thing and then should follow manga step by step. Nah, my bad, in preview of the next ep was Winry and their hometown so we will have a flashback and then Liore action
AlzeaApr 5, 2009 1:54 AM
Apr 5, 2009 1:52 AM

Feb 2008
Yeah, I think this was mainly an introductory episode more than anything. Next episode will most likely begin following the manga.
Apr 5, 2009 2:06 AM

Jul 2007
Cihan said:

Marketing decision.

Seeing FMAv2 start with Lior again, would fool most of the watchers that it is teh "same" as Fma1, reducing the customer count.

THey HAD to start with something different
Apr 5, 2009 2:09 AM

Jan 2008
I'm really curious as to whether the direction will overall have the same storyboards as the previous TV series or manga, just how close is it going to resemble the manga, and by extension the previous show? This whole idea just seems so moot to me, and if they veer away from the previous show which did follow the manga for the most part, and by extension the manga, then it wont be so 'faithful' will it? Tricky tricky.

I think we're all waiting for the arcs after a little Chinese girl with a panda shows up, to be honest.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Apr 5, 2009 2:10 AM

Sep 2008
Fai said:
Cihan said:

Marketing decision.

Seeing FMAv2 start with Lior again, would fool most of the watchers that it is teh "same" as Fma1, reducing the customer count.

THey HAD to start with something different

that was what i was trying to explain to a bunch of people about. most of them couldnt understand that completely.
well gonna torrent the ep and upload the op/ed later
Apr 5, 2009 2:14 AM

Sep 2008
When does it air? :O
Apr 5, 2009 2:14 AM

Feb 2008
Novaangle18 said:

It aired about an hour ago.

Subs might take a few days though.
Apr 5, 2009 2:16 AM

Dec 2007
OP and ED are already on YT in HD^^
I think it will follow manga very close, they said it on one of the interviews, something about They give their best to follow manga or something like this, nah there was father and young Hoho so i believe them :P

Even half and hour ago. I think subs will be fast (at least some of them) maybe this night or evening? Who knows?
Apr 5, 2009 2:17 AM

Sep 2008
Veronin said:
Novaangle18 said:

It aired about an hour ago.

Subs might take a few days though.

Roger that, thank you.
Apr 5, 2009 2:22 AM

Sep 2008
cant find the 'HD' op/ed for it on youtube. found a bad quality though. going to upload the op/ed in hd after im done torrenting/rendering.
seriously though, ending better than the opening, animation-wise. but probably the animation will change in the next episode for the opening.
switched them around by accident. yea the opening animation is great. going by what the opening showed, the story should go pretty fast to greed in 26 episodes around probably. but thats just a hunch
atruong18Apr 5, 2009 2:50 AM
Apr 5, 2009 2:30 AM

Dec 2007
I hope posting links won't harm anyone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El-P4XWNg24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y1aXR-FBnQ
If it will, tell me, I will delete them from this post :P
Apr 5, 2009 2:36 AM

Sep 2008
Alzea said:

I hope posting links won't harm anyone:

If it will, tell me, I will delete them from this post :P

ah. someone beat to me in uploading the openings in actual HD quality. curses for my slow internet and torrent. lol.
Apr 5, 2009 2:39 AM

Jul 2008
Fuck yeah, Hughes! Hell yeah Armstrong! Getting used to Miki as Roy is going to be tough as shit too.

'bout all I have to add to this discussion. Episode was good, has me ridiculously stoked. Can't wait for subs :3

Also, kurotsuki, that was terrible. You should be ashamed :(

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Apr 5, 2009 2:44 AM

Jul 2007
Cihan said:
I'm really curious as to whether the direction will overall have the same storyboards as the previous TV series or manga, just how close is it going to resemble the manga, and by extension the previous show? This whole idea just seems so moot to me, and if they veer away from the previous show which did follow the manga for the most part, and by extension the manga, then it wont be so 'faithful' will it? Tricky tricky.

I think we're all waiting for the arcs after a little Chinese girl with a panda shows up, to be honest.

Going only by trailers, we can already see some scenes which look almost 1:1 like manga panels(the stairs, wheelchair, the door opening, etc). So yes, they are following manga.

Previous show did not "follow manga faithfully" it used a certain manga elements to form its own plot. :)
Apr 5, 2009 2:49 AM

Mar 2007
Bakayaro said:

Also, kurotsuki, that was terrible. You should be ashamed :(

hahaha c'mon , it was to good to pass ~

(made by MistaCloudStrife ^^)
Apr 5, 2009 2:55 AM

Jul 2007
Cihan said:
An 'original' episode? Thats hilarious. I thought the reason this remake existed was to actually follow the manga?

I was thinking the same thing LOL.

I understood a fair amount of the conversation, and I don't think the rest was important anyway, but it was pretty decent. I really don't think they should have used this as a first ep, though... It didn't seem like a first ep at all. In fact, if I hadn't got up at 3 in the morning just to watch this, I would think this episode was somewhere in the middle of the series.

I really wonder how long they're planning to make it, though. I'm kind of afraid it will turn into one of those shounen anime that are too long for their own good. Music (as in BGM, not op/ed) was definitely as amazing as the first season, so that was really exciting.

Oh yeah, and the animation for the ending was pretty funny.

ilu Mathes. thanks for awesome Beato sig. <3
ilu mah_marina. thanks for awesome Beato icon. <3
Apr 5, 2009 3:23 AM

Sep 2008
atlantiza said:

I understood a fair amount of the conversation, and I don't think the rest was important anyway, but it was pretty decent. I really don't think they should have used this as a first ep, though... It didn't seem like a first ep at all. In fact, if I hadn't got up at 3 in the morning just to watch this, I would think this episode was somewhere in the middle of the series.

I really wonder how long they're planning to make it, though. I'm kind of afraid it will turn into one of those shounen anime that are too long for their own good. Music (as in BGM, not op/ed) was definitely as amazing as the first season, so that was really exciting.

first of all, it shouldnt be as long as the other shonen animes because there will be a definite ending soon for the manga, so the anime should have a direct ending too, no need to drift away from the main storyline.i give it around 80-100eps. but im bad at estimating.

too long

the first few episodes (5-ish episodes) will most likely be iffy to people, because we dont know how the story will be set up for the anime.
but probably will head to the better after it gets the pacing going.
Apr 5, 2009 4:23 AM

Jun 2007
I won't say anything about the contents of the episode since I'll need to watch it with subs to fully understand it, but oh God, (I know I'll be hated for this)

the opening. It's HORRIBLE. I don't like it at all. The person who's singing it has such a nasal voice, it's almost as if she has difficulty in breathing. And the animation for the op is really really bad. At some point it's extremely slow, then it goes omgfast, then they show a dramatic close up of Winry (I think?) saying part of the lyrics. No. Just no.

On the other hand, the ED is really nice, and I loves the cartoon-ish animation for it.
Apr 5, 2009 4:56 AM

Jul 2007
confused_kitsune said:
The person who's singing it has such a nasal voice, it's almost as if she has difficulty in breathing. And the animation for the op is really really bad. At some point it's extremely slow, then it goes omgfast, then they show a dramatic close up of Winry (I think?) saying part of the lyrics. No. Just no.

I guess some people I will never be able to comprehend.

The comments on vocal style I can fetch towards "well that person is just dumb in music stuff", but animation being bad? oh please.
Apr 5, 2009 5:08 AM

Dec 2007
Good introductionary episode, it has got me really hyped up for the "real" story. Anime original episodes won't get much better than this tbh.

And the OP was awesome. The haters are just tasteless :<
Apr 5, 2009 5:10 AM

Jun 2007
Fai said:
I guess some people I will never be able to comprehend.

The comments on vocal style I can fetch towards "well that person is just dumb in music stuff", but animation being bad? oh please.

Look, just because I don't like what you like doesn't give you the right to say I'm dumb. I was just trying to say that neither the OP nor the animation for it fit at all with the anime's theme. The person who's singing it has a really affected voice, to say so - it's like she's near a sick person and she's trying to sound impressively caring. As for the animation, it's really inconsistent - one moment it puts you to sleep, next one it wakes you up by shivering cold water on you.

But then that's just my impression. Anyone's free to disagree with it, as long as they bring solid arguments.
Apr 5, 2009 5:32 AM

Jul 2007
confused_kitsune said:

Look, just because I don't like what you like doesn't give you the right to say I'm dumb. I was just trying to say that neither the OP nor the animation for it fit at all with the anime's theme.

Lyrics-wise it fits both anime and op perfectly, if lyrics are interpreted from the POV of Ed or Hohenheim.

confused_kitsune said:

The person who's singing it has a really affected voice, to say so - it's like she's near a sick person and she's trying to sound impressively caring.

Thats her vocal style, lots of female non-pop singers resort either to that or operatic vocals(mostly soprano).

confused_kitsune said:

As for the animation, it's really inconsistent - one moment it puts you to sleep, next one it wakes you up by shivering cold water on you.

Animation has a nostalgic, yet dynamic somber feel, with lots of soft colors

The "inconsistency" is what I call "good directing". Certain points progress according to the song speed, with animation slowly building up to culmination points, which works perfectly to build up atmosphere and intensity.

Its dynamic intro which catches your attention immediately.

When compared to the "masterpiece" OPs most of anime these days have, its really refreshing to see something so well-directed.
Apr 5, 2009 5:45 AM
Sep 2008
In my opinion new Fullmetal OP could've been better. Song is great, but animation is lacking something. I agree that dynamic intro was good but later scenes were just too random. I can't say it's well-directed. It can't compare to the openings from 1st adaptation.
Apr 5, 2009 6:07 AM

Feb 2008
Shinsen subs out already? Damn, hasn't even been 5 hours.
Apr 5, 2009 6:07 AM

Jun 2008
SUBS OUT!

BY SHINSEN. : D
Apr 5, 2009 6:23 AM

Jun 2008
Where can you watch this ep? :S XD
Apr 5, 2009 6:29 AM

Jun 2008
Lilly14 said:
Where can you watch this ep? :S XD

Download it? lol
Apr 5, 2009 6:31 AM

Mar 2007
I liked it, but I'm so damn impatient for them to finally get to the meat of the story! CAN'T WAIT CAN'T WAIT CAN'T WAIT
Apr 5, 2009 6:35 AM

Nov 2008
That. Was. Awesome.
Waiting for the next episode is going to be hell.
Apr 5, 2009 6:43 AM
Oct 2008
The episode was nice.
But for some reason, i feel like something is missing/wrong. I just can't really figure out what that is..
Apr 5, 2009 6:44 AM
Nov 2007
Why Shinsen don't want to do this in SD version too :/

I'm only small polish female, so don't be so rude to me :<
I'm doing the best i can in english :>
Apr 5, 2009 6:59 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
watched it raw :/
Bakayaro said:
Getting used to Miki as Roy is going to be tough as shit
i totally agree. also, FMA is one the first animes i ever watched so i watched it dubbed and it's really strange watching now without dubs but hopefully i'll get used to it. Ed sounds like a girl O__o that sucks.
confused_kitsune said:
oh God, (I know I'll be hated for this)the opening. It's HORRIBLE. I don't like it at all. The person who's singing it has such a nasal voice, it's almost as if she has difficulty in breathing. And the animation for the op is really really bad. At some point it's extremely slow, then it goes omgfast, then they show a dramatic close up of Winry (I think?) saying part of the lyrics. No. Just no.
On the other hand, the ED is really nice, and I loves the cartoon-ish animation for it.
i dont like either the OP or the ED. Which totally sucks because i looooved the OPs and EDs from the original FMA anime :/ I do like the pacing though; i think it's great directing.
The one thing that really bugs me is the overall character designs and how they're drawn has changed and imo for the worse. i knew that they were going to draw them more based on what they look like in the manga but wow it's really really different. I'm super glad that the quality of the animation though is wonderful; probably because they have a s***load of money for the budget :D
i might edit this after I watch it with subs...
p r o f i l e 👀
Apr 5, 2009 7:06 AM

May 2008
I am unhappy with Mustang's new voice actor. :(

Also ep wasnt that great unfortunately. Hope next one's better.
Apr 5, 2009 7:34 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Pretty cool, pretty cool. (:

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 5, 2009 7:41 AM

May 2008
Episode was nice. I liked it. The animation is great, no complain to make about this.
Mustang's voice seemed a little weird at first but I think I'll get used to it eventually.

Regarding OP and ED theme, I like both. But I have a slight preference for the opening though.

Overall I'm satisfied.

But one thing : WTF with that horrible man voice saying Fullmetal Alchemist during eyecatches. Words just can't describe how dreadful it is.
Apr 5, 2009 7:43 AM

Aug 2007
we have a winner!
Apr 5, 2009 7:44 AM

Feb 2008
Hey, that was really nice. I like the Openings and the ending animation.
lol @Alex

Pralyn said:
But one thing : WTF with that horrible man voice saying Fullmetal Alchemist during eyecatches. Words just can't describe how dreadful it is.

Haha yeah... horrible indeed.
Apr 5, 2009 7:44 AM

Jun 2008
I was too, one of the people that thinks Mustang's new voice wont be good as the old one, but i must say i'm impressed how Shinichiro made a good job.

Nothing to say, truly epic episode.
It seems like BONES is trying to do the BEST anime. =)
Apr 5, 2009 7:51 AM

Jul 2008
I'm happy that Paku Romi and Rie Kugimiya are casting Ed and Al ♥ They're perfect. And actually Roy's new seiyuu is good too. Ed doesn't seem that hot yet but maybe someday I get used to it =) But has Hughes's seiyuu changed ? :0

Hihiii, so waiting forward the next one !

Apr 5, 2009 8:05 AM

Feb 2008
Got to say, this looks like it's going to be truly epic. I haven't seen a show start off with a bang like that in a pretty long time.

This is gunna rock =D
Pages (13) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.