Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 8, 2009 5:56 AM

Aug 2007
I love the sketch overlay in the animation. At this point, I think I'm going to like this anime. ^^
Apr 8, 2009 6:04 AM

Feb 2008
Only played the demo for this game.
Didn't think I'd like the adaption but it seems alright. The animation was quite good. Alicia seems like my sort of character.
Apr 8, 2009 8:29 AM

Aug 2008
Visual perfection! I liked!
Apr 8, 2009 9:00 AM

May 2008
Nice animation but can't really appreciate that much since I haven't played the game and I'm not really sure if that will affect anything but all I get is the same feel as Allisson and Lillia which is on my On-Hold list at episode 6. I hope it gets better for me not to on-hold it or put it on-hold or whichever.
Apr 8, 2009 12:26 PM

Sep 2007
Whee, not bad so far. Maybe I just like the character design, or maybe it's Marina Inoue. Anyway, good episode :)
Apr 8, 2009 3:32 PM

Sep 2008
tttm said:
I love the sketch overlay in the animation. At this point, I think I'm going to like this anime. ^^

Ditto, So far this is my favorite anime this season and Alicia is awesome ^^

Apr 8, 2009 3:38 PM
Dec 2007
I really liked how the game was very "fuzzy" in the edge, but stil managed to cover the realities of war.

About the episode: I personally believe they should've stuck more to the original art style, which they did attempt at certain scenes, but I'm sure there's some reason why they didnt; be it too hard to make 20 mins episodes using that technique, or simply because they wanted to make things more "supa kawaii desho ^_^". There were some things that annoyed me though. The two Town Guards who were with Alicia. Why are they suddenly kids? In the game it could be clearly seen that it was two male adults. Isara's eyes are freaklish huge. There were some cases of what I like to call "Retard moment!", meaning the characters eyes look in two different ways, making them look like... Yeah, retards.

I hope they will put the... err... "Thing" that "Happens" with the "Princess" in the anime, as it gave some perspective on how it's not just the Empire that is supposedly "Evil" (Which I don't think they are)

I liked how Ayako put notes from the games Glossary in after the ending song. Just hope Ayako will be smart enough to notice differences between the in-game notes and the anime, and not use notes that state something else than the anime.

Overall, I'd say my biggest fear for this anime is that it will turn into a "kindergarten" version of the game, but the next episode will probably reveal to what extent that will be the case.
Apr 8, 2009 11:41 PM

Jan 2009
Alicia said:

YOU JUST HAVE TO SHOOT THEM, BEFORE YOU GET SHOT

LOL

in peaceful Japan, this remark means particular things.. a little controversial things
The Constitution No. 9 joh believers intensely advocate "Japan and Japanese people mustn't fight back even if Enemy Nation invade your country. also, Japan mustn't own the force."

maybe, producers were conscious of them...
Apr 9, 2009 2:08 PM

Aug 2008
I am surprised how well this adaptation is working so far. And now I can add Welkin to my favorites.. he's adorable. <3
Apr 9, 2009 8:28 PM

Oct 2008
Excellent. Finally an anime that fulfilled my expectations, which were quite high. I love the art and sketch overlay. Looks like this season will be fun :D.
Apr 9, 2009 11:28 PM

Sep 2008
It was actually pretty good, I definitely dig the animation as well. The ED was cute too. Good start, gonna be looking out for this.
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
Apr 10, 2009 6:41 AM

Jun 2008
What an awesome watch. It makes me wanna finish the game watching this, which, later today I may just continue with.

Also- Did I see an Alicia panty shot somewhere in here? =P

Oh- and the ED is just frickin' badass.
Apr 10, 2009 12:05 PM

Jul 2008
I never played the game so I can't really compare the two. This was an excellent start though. It seems like a pretty decent concept. Loved the animation. The characters are interesting. Hopefully, Welkin doesn't come off as completely clueless the whole series. The opening and ending were nice as well. Could be one of the better series of the season.
Apr 10, 2009 12:34 PM

Jul 2008
It was... interesting. :| Not so fond of the animation, actually. I kept thinking something was wrong with my monitor.

BEGINNER
Apr 10, 2009 7:39 PM

Aug 2008
I enjoyed this episode. The op and ed are a little lame/unfitting to me though. The main characters seem to be really cool, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they interact.

I've clearly not played the game ;p
Apr 11, 2009 5:23 AM
Dec 2007
Hmmm, very interesting first episode. It definitely has potential since Marina Inoue is dubbing the main character and it's an A-1 Picture production. However, most video games adaptations tend to be lame and most of them do not reach above the mediocrity level, but since the fantasy setting is pretty good, the characters are quite clearly introduced, the script well-explained and the production values are above average, I think it's a keeper for now.

Moreover, the series is pretty dynamic and fun, on top of the OP being good too. No, really, there's nothing out of the ordinary here, nothing fantastic, it's more of a basic entertainment aimed at teenagers but still, it's a quite pleasant first episode and holds a lot of promises for the future.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 11, 2009 8:09 PM
Mar 2009
There's a RAW for episode 2 out. over at Nyaaa Torrents
Apr 11, 2009 10:51 PM

Nov 2007
The way they shaded the hair was interesting to see, seeing as it was the opening episode didn't expect too much but it seems that the next episode should be fun to watch, can't wait to see an introduction of the other characters.
Apr 12, 2009 6:37 AM

Jan 2009
Needin halp! How often does this series get episodes outta the tv box? Once a week? twice a week? Thrice a week? Would really appreciate help!
Apr 12, 2009 7:40 AM
Mar 2009
Mauseleum said:
Needin halp! How often does this series get episodes outta the tv box? Once a week? twice a week? Thrice a week? Would really appreciate help!

every saturday
Apr 12, 2009 1:19 PM

Mar 2009
This was Great!! One of this season's best so far, Alicia if fantastic. The animation is very nice, can't wait to see more...Urahara Out!!
Apr 12, 2009 3:43 PM

Sep 2007
Great episode!!

Surely i'll continue this!

Alicia is amazing and a very good main character =)

Kouta~
Apr 14, 2009 4:04 AM

Jul 2008
yeah really interesting, think i am gonna catch this up.

Apr 14, 2009 2:03 PM

Feb 2007
I expected much much worse(it is a game-based anime), but it turned out quite entertaining!
-Nice animation, EPIC music and... Alicia <3 You can't blame them for the filler parts as they need those for the pacing. Now we can only pray that they you fu*k it up.

I'm also glad to see that Edy, Marina, Carl and of course Jann(!) will appear. Most of my squad :D

One thing I don't think that I'll ever get used to is Isara's eyes =/ And is it just me or her VA is different? The roundness of Alicia's face is also a bit disturbing :S
Apr 14, 2009 7:15 PM

Apr 2008
Seems like it could be enjoyable; I just hope that the other characters aren't so dense (to put it nicely), as that dragged the episode down a bit. I could forgive Alicia for not noticing the tank, because they did need some sort of cliffhanger, but every character had multiple moments where you have to question what goes on in their brain. Oh well, it's anime, I should be used to this.
Apr 17, 2009 11:21 PM

Dec 2007
I really liked the art, as the watercolor style and sketch-like overlay are great. The characters and story are interesting. I haven’t play the game yet, but I will pick it someday. Alicia is so cute.
Apr 18, 2009 4:27 PM

Jun 2008
Ahh~ Good episode. It's nice to see something I will probably really enjoy out of the new series that have been released. Also, it's a breath of fresh air to be watching something of this genre after finishing Toradora.

Also, loved the stylized art used in this as well. Makes it stand out from the moe blobs we've been getting.
Apr 21, 2009 11:22 PM

Dec 2007
i hope they dont mess the amazing story that comes from the game when they put it on anime, that is all i want

Sumeragi Kururu - Pledge Queen of Tool Toul To

Apr 25, 2009 3:19 PM

Oct 2008
Valkyria.. The hero who saved the lands once is now the loyal subordinate of the antagonist who is voiced by Fukuyama Jun.

May 3, 2009 5:57 PM

Jun 2008
Hey, that was most excellent, loved hearing the game music again. I have a good feeling about this series!
Jun 1, 2009 11:13 PM
Nov 2008
pretty much disappointed after expecting something like Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers action.

i was really disappointed with character dialog because they all seemed to lack the seriousness of war. The atmosphere was terribly off, despite all immediate dangers of invasion. However, I'll keep watching to see if any of this changes.
Jul 9, 2009 5:15 PM

Jun 2008
I've never played the game but the twintailed character voiced by Marina caught my interest, and Jun is in this too it seems. The OP and ED were great, not a bad start either. I have a feeling this show is going to become a chore like Tales of the Abyss though.

I hope not.
Aug 4, 2009 3:24 AM

Nov 2007
Kira01 said:
Valkyria.. The hero who saved the lands once is now the loyal subordinate of the antagonist who is voiced by Fukuyama Jun.

Aug 12, 2009 6:01 PM

Aug 2008
Decided to play this after playing into the game a bit. Understandably there has to be more character dialogue and development in the anime compared to the game, but i found it kinda funny how though being chased by a squad of troops and tanks they.. seemed kind of calm just walking around the house. I'd think they'd be a bit more.. in a panic? but thats sweating the small stuff

Love the art style and how it translates over.. and the Ending song and sequence? love it :D

Sep 19, 2009 9:59 AM
Sep 2009
I love how they have already started adding in the people from the game Susie you sooo Cute. I hope they dont mess up any personal traits though cause thatd be late.
Sep 19, 2009 10:00 AM
Sep 2009
felo said:
i hope they dont mess the amazing story that comes from the game when they put it on anime, that is all i want

I doubt they would, im sure there gonna have to tweak it all little so it makes more sense, but i doubt there goona just throw everything in the air like other series do.
Apr 12, 2010 9:02 PM

Jun 2009
not looking too good atm...

They are waaaaay to lax in a crossfire situation for me to like it for now... I'll give it several episodes before I decide if I'm sticking with this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 14, 2010 4:28 AM

Sep 2008
... Wow. They launched into that quickly! I think I like how this anime got off to a kickstart rather than some snail-paced beginning. Poor guy, caught for sketching... Maybe because I haven't played the game (uh, there's a game? Well, now I know that from reading other peoples' comments...) I don't get it, but why was he suspected for being a spy anyway? Because he wasn't evacuating...?

And yeah. Isara's eyes are huge.

The ED surprised me a bit... XD The way it sounded. But I enjoyed it... and the episode as well!
Jul 25, 2010 1:29 AM
Apr 2009
Introductions aren't appropriate when surrounded by Imps -_-

I think I'm nearing the end of the game, so I figured it's not too early start the series too. Looks great so far =)

And Susie, you Humanitarian! Once I got that personal potential, I stopped using her!
nonmp89Jul 25, 2010 1:33 AM
Aug 21, 2010 6:44 AM

Jun 2009
I don't know but I felt some kind of lame boring moment watching this.. because of female soldier that doesn't fit its title. Kids holding guns that also doesn't fit their looks or personality. But..
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Sep 25, 2010 4:13 PM
Mar 2010
Looks like a good anime, or so it seems from someone who hasn't played the game xD
Jun 5, 2011 7:00 PM

Apr 2009
I haven't played the game either but it looks good from this start. Looks like they have the better tank! XD
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 8, 2011 6:31 AM

Oct 2010
i have played the game and its a good anime so far :p
Aug 2, 2011 2:37 AM

Apr 2009
Haven't played the game either, but I enjoyed the first episode just fine.
Aug 21, 2011 1:28 AM

Aug 2010
As a fan of the game, I am looking forward to this anime.
Oct 28, 2011 1:21 PM
Dec 2010
I can't help it , i just love the ending with piggy with wings :D
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Oct 31, 2012 2:38 AM

Sep 2012
They changed some part of the game.. But not a bad thing overall for this first episode. The realisation seems pretty good.
Oct 13, 2013 7:36 PM

Sep 2013
I've never played the game, but I like what I've seen so far.
Jun 15, 2015 9:59 AM

Oct 2012
Hmm I prefer the artstyle in the game
But the story
This is much more.. wider
And Alicia's expressions just gold xD

greenmarty said:
I can't help it , i just love the ending with piggy with wings :D

It's porcavian!!
But no one knows it.. yet xD
"Signature removed"
Jun 22, 2015 5:58 PM

Aug 2013
Well, since I ended the game and absolutely loved, it's time for the anime!

Welking seem even more of an airhead in the anime... Also, goddamn Susie.

I would have prefered if they had kept the way the next fight happened in the game. The feeling of seeing the Edelweiss in action for the first time, it was pretty darn awesome.

Kinda lol'ed that Isara got the first kill. Based Isara.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» is the story complete in anime form?

NaughtySempai - Feb 2

8 by NaughtySempai »»
Feb 3, 3:29 AM

» Never got dubbed?

searingdark - Sep 15, 2023

3 by Levo »»
Oct 26, 2023 4:12 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

daniking79 - Jul 4, 2009

76 by SSGHOKAGE »»
May 16, 2023 8:53 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

japanme32 - Apr 11, 2009

101 by YabaniMario »»
Apr 11, 2023 7:26 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - Sep 26, 2009

195 by Playcool »»
Feb 13, 2023 5:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.