Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 10, 2009 12:24 AM

Sep 2008
Kurisu said:
I have no idea what was going on. I can't even tell if I enjoyed it or not.

^
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
Apr 10, 2009 12:59 PM

Oct 2008
I have absolutely no idea what happened. I just know that this was absolutely full of epic and I had tons of fun watching it. However, I don't think I can watch more plain epic, so this'll be the first of the spring season that I drop. Sorry mazinger :'(

P.S. this was like a final episode, not a first lol.
Apr 10, 2009 3:57 PM

Oct 2008
meonlyme775 said:
I have absolutely no idea what happened. I just know that this was absolutely full of epic and I had tons of fun watching it. However, I don't think I can watch more plain epic, so this'll be the first of the spring season that I drop. Sorry mazinger :'(

P.S. this was like a final episode, not a first lol.
that't the point of it. the first episode is like the next one in which they will launch mazinger.
Apr 10, 2009 5:02 PM

Aug 2008
all i can said is boss kicked ass
Apr 11, 2009 6:31 AM
Dec 2007
Uh, oh? I must admit I didn't catch a third of what was happening on the screen, it's really too much for me. But being mainly an hybrid/real mecha fan, I guess it's normal. Apart from that, the colors are vivid, the art totally outrageous and retro as it can be, direction is very old school but great above words and the music is just delicious. Oh and I forgot to add that the last 5 minutes are probably some of the most epic I have ever watched in an anime.

I'm not sure I can be a fan of this show or even if I'll continue it, but I'm sure there are huge fans of this because it probably deserves it. Still, it's a bit strange to start off with a final episode (or was it a preview or a summary?) before the first episode, I don't really understand the point, but I may miss something.

Kurisu said:

I feel a bit like you, I'm sure it's great as much as I'm sure I didn't enjoy it at all, so that's why I'll put it on hold to watch the whole series all at the same time.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 12, 2009 8:58 PM

Mar 2009
Jacut said:
Uh, oh? I must admit I didn't catch a third of what was happening on the screen, it's really too much for me. But being mainly an hybrid/real mecha fan, I guess it's normal. Apart from that, the colors are vivid, the art totally outrageous and retro as it can be, direction is very old school but great above words and the music is just delicious. Oh and I forgot to add that the last 5 minutes are probably some of the most epic I have ever watched in an anime.

I'm not sure I can be a fan of this show or even if I'll continue it, but I'm sure there are huge fans of this because it probably deserves it. Still, it's a bit strange to start off with a final episode (or was it a preview or a summary?) before the first episode, I don't really understand the point, but I may miss something.

Kurisu said:

I feel a bit like you, I'm sure it's great as much as I'm sure I didn't enjoy it at all, so that's why I'll put it on hold to watch the whole series all at the same time.

I feel the same way, it was very exciting and very epic, but I think I'll wait until it's finished, seems like it'd be better to watch in succession. But, I loved the Speed Racer/Saint Seiya style animation...This show bleeds shounen...Urahara Out!!
Apr 12, 2009 10:18 PM

Aug 2007
Despite not knowing what the FUCK was going on shit was dope and the song at the end was class.
Apr 13, 2009 6:33 PM
Sep 2008
That was such a waste of time. Not only should the director be fired, but everything was confusing. The first episode should always be the god damn beginning, not some shitty ass finale.
Apr 13, 2009 8:00 PM

Feb 2008
wow....just wow!
Apr 14, 2009 5:12 PM

Apr 2009
Yeah, I unfortunately have to agree with the people who disliked this episode. It was way too eclectic and confusing for a first episode, and I don't like the "last episode first" nonsense, only Haruhi has pulled off non-sequential episodes well, IMO.

I actually ended up closing it about 12 minutes in, hopefully the real first episode actually makes sense or I might be dropping it.
Apr 17, 2009 5:37 AM

Jan 2008
Err...ah...what?
Sweet animation though.
May 31, 2009 7:01 AM

May 2008
i didnt watch the other version so i was practically laughing through the entire show

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jun 13, 2009 2:53 PM
Jan 2009
WTF??? Seriously, I didn't get half of what they were trying to put up in my mind...

It's like I watched Mazinger Z a bazillion years ago, I don't recall much, and then suddenly I'm bombed with so much info...

Worst of all, is that the intro doesn't seem to have like a linear easy to follow sequence, like Ga-Rei zero or such, which was confusing at first, but semi linear, not 4 min video sequence of god know how many battles, characters, and stuff.....

I'll try the second ep tho, but it will be it's last chance.

Best action first ep ever is the Ga-Rei Zero one.
Oct 5, 2009 9:26 AM

Jun 2008
vindemon64 said:
I'll be honest, I have no freaking clue what the hell I just saw.

But man, it was damn exhilarating.

I felt the same way.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Nov 25, 2009 10:28 AM

May 2008
BEST. FIRST. EPISODE ... EVER!
Dec 2, 2010 9:23 AM

Aug 2010
Well that was an attention grabbing episode.
Feb 6, 2013 7:13 PM

Apr 2008
There are not enough raised eyebrows, questioning looks, or WTFs to flesh out my confusion here. This felt like the apocalypse's clip show after a night of binge drinking.
Mar 27, 2013 8:28 PM

Jun 2009
It's pretty rare for me to go "wtf is going on?" when watching something, but this first episode managed to make me do it. It was pretty much a bombarding of super mecha cheesiness and I'm not sure if I liked it. But, I'll continue on I guess.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 14, 2013 1:03 AM

Mar 2010
those pilots who get crushed inside the glass boobs
Mar 20, 2015 6:40 AM

Nov 2011
*sigh*

what the fuck was that man.........

that was SO not what I was expecting.....

I was expecting something EPIC you know

Something AMAZING

THAT WAS BORING SHIT
Jul 18, 2015 12:14 AM

Feb 2008
BURN IT UP

I'm familiar with Imagawa's type of beginnings, but even this was something special. It's not just starting you right into action, it's starting you right into something that looks like the final battle. Really strong first episode, looking forward to the rest.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Sep 18, 2015 7:14 PM

Feb 2012
Hot blooded! Glad to be starting this anime. Hope to see more of the Greek god characters.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 17, 2016 9:41 AM

Jun 2010
In a new series based on a popular older one much of the audience will be expecting the (re)appearance of certain characters. Maybe what this episode was trying to do was just blow the entirety of that tension right away by throwing everything in almost at once.

This casts the rest of the series in mystery; they've thrown away the nostalgia appeal of familiar faces in a chaotic first episode and so now they have to do something else for the rest of it.

Pretty bold!
Aug 18, 2016 6:53 PM

Jul 2010
Welp, not sure how I feel like this start out as a final battle even though I'm familiar with the Mazinger franchise and all. I do like the new characters though. I guess the next episode flashes back or I certainly hope so lol
Dec 2, 2017 11:09 AM

Dec 2015
It was... fun?
Too bad it was extremely flat, characters drawings-wise. And since I have no idea who the "important" woman is, I guess I will just put it on pause.

I was often asking myself if I was watching a Saint Seiya mecha version upon reaaching the second half of the episode: the music, style of scenes, and greek god wearing a GoldCloth didn't help.

3/5 Bombastic, in good and bad ways.
Oct 13, 2022 4:04 PM
Ninja Consultant

Mar 2022
Man this episode was action packed.

I really liked it, although the large cast of (mostly unknown) characters has me somewhat confused. Still, seems like a really good start to a modern retelling of Mazinger Z.
Beep boop
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-Hen Episode 26 Discussion

kurotsuki - Sep 26, 2009

45 by Steve_Akers_357 »»
Apr 11, 11:33 PM

Poll: » Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-Hen Episode 21 Discussion

dbaranyi - Aug 22, 2009

12 by CheungCrygor8818 »»
Jan 2, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-Hen Episode 15 Discussion

dbaranyi - Jul 12, 2009

17 by CheungCrygor8818 »»
Dec 25, 2023 1:31 AM

Poll: » Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-Hen Episode 14 Discussion

dbaranyi - Jul 6, 2009

11 by CheungCrygor8818 »»
Dec 23, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-Hen Episode 3 Discussion

kashim - Apr 18, 2009

26 by CheungCrygor8818 »»
Nov 21, 2023 1:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.