Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 10, 2009 7:27 PM

Sep 2007
Hey, it's Noir again. Complete with amnesia, a secret organization, dual assassins, western setting, choral music, Ali project, awkward pauses before kills, romanticization of killing, naturally skilled gunmen...

Oh fuck it, why don't I just rewatch Noir?

*dropped*

Edit: Also, what's with the redundant name?
naikouApr 10, 2009 7:30 PM
Apr 10, 2009 9:21 PM
Jul 2008
The similarities to Noir come from the fact that Noir was heavily inspired by Phantom of the Inferno.

Anyway, the Noir-redux feeling only really take place in the first chapter of the game, so that will soon be gone.
Apr 10, 2009 9:42 PM

Sep 2007
AntiDentite said:
The similarities to Noir come from the fact that Noir was heavily inspired by Phantom of the Inferno.

Anyway, the Noir-redux feeling only really take place in the first chapter of the game, so that will soon be gone.
Wait. I knew Noir wasn't exactly original, but it was inspired by the game this was based on? Hmm. That's somewhat more interesting. I'll have to see episode 2, then.
Apr 11, 2009 9:59 AM

Oct 2007
Ein is so freaking hot. Also this atmosphere is sucking me right into the story. Already in the running for one of my favorite shows this season.

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Apr 12, 2009 4:44 PM

Sep 2007
Eh, it was okay. OP was good, ED was bleh. Not a big fan of Ali Project. And man, I had forgotten this was done by Bee Train until the long ass pauses before that kill in the end. Then I was like "hey, now where have I seen this before." It was a little boring but I'll give it another couple episodes.
Apr 12, 2009 7:39 PM

Jan 2008
Better than what I expected when I saw the promo image. The art is nice. Zwei is better up close. :3

Smasher said:
Ein is so freaking hot. Also this atmosphere is sucking me right into the story. Already in the running for one of my favorite shows this season.

Man, you should check out the other ladies there...not only Ein. :D

Yeah, this is seems to be a good series and climbing up as my fave show this season.

Apr 13, 2009 4:59 AM

Mar 2009
its so cool and zwei seems to have some extra ordinary abliities

Apr 13, 2009 11:14 AM

May 2007
Maybe because I had set my expections very low, but I found this one episode quite spectacular. Nice beginning to the anime, but it'll be awhile before I can finish it.
Apr 16, 2009 9:26 PM

Aug 2007
I enjoyed this episode. I want to see more of their past, I love flashbacks in things! Phantom is so sad. =(
Usotsuki. 
Apr 20, 2009 8:04 AM

Dec 2008
cool show,I like the atmosphere and the animation art

I felt reminded to noir,which I really liked in the past

the endng theme is strange and crazy
I think Beetrain needs a crazy opening or ending in their shows.
best example would be the oening theme of blade of the immortal.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2009 4:55 AM

Aug 2008
I really like the animation and background music of the series. The concept seemed quite interesting too. And I will follow to find ou how the story developes.

As for the opening it seemed really different and went with the series atmosphere, as for the ending although the animation was really nice I didn't like the at all!! It seems that Ali Project are just getting even worse with every song they make.
lzumi-chanApr 30, 2009 4:58 AM
May 9, 2009 5:36 PM

Jul 2008
cyruz said:
Meh. This feels a little like Noir, just less awesome. Oh well, at least it has a KOKIA OP. Let's see where this goes.

yeah it does feel a little like it but i think the episode isn't too bad.
May 10, 2009 3:53 AM

Jun 2008
Just saw the first episode of this. It looks promising and with good animation. Not bad for first episode.
May 15, 2009 4:12 PM
Apr 2009
Would it have hurt to make the main characters older? It would have been far better if the main character(s) were in late 20's or early 30's... then the whole "who am i?" would have a bigger impact... like maybe his lover, wife and kids being forgotten etc...

don't know why it is so necessary to have high schoolers in every anime. this show could have been much better if the characters weren't so vanilla and more darker and older.
May 18, 2009 7:06 AM

Jun 2008
drHenRyr said:
Would it have hurt to make the main characters older? It would have been far better if the main character(s) were in late 20's or early 30's... then the whole "who am i?" would have a bigger impact... like maybe his lover, wife and kids being forgotten etc...

don't know why it is so necessary to have high schoolers in every anime. this show could have been much better if the characters weren't so vanilla and more darker and older.

You have a point there and i kind of agree but that goes for many anime. The only thing that wouldn't match was gone a be the "we wont the assassins to look innocent and unsuspected by others" since high schoolers are unlikely to be suspected.
May 21, 2009 12:14 AM
Mar 2008
Wished the animation wasn't so cheap looking at certain points, then I would take this a bit more serious. It was kinda corny but I guess it looks promising so I'll give it a few more episodes.
Jun 6, 2009 12:27 AM

May 2008
I've recently seen the OVAs (I preferred that character design, but nevermind) and thought the story can be better and yes it is ^^ The animation is good, I like the OP (and dislike the ED...)

Just a quick advice: wait for another sub. I don't know anything about this group whose subs are out, but... I went 'WTF?' several times. In the ending sentence ("We are nothing... Phantoms...") I just laughed ^^
Aug 12, 2009 2:54 PM

Jun 2009
I had to create this topic, just to ask this: What the hell is Scarface doing here? lol

And it's eins and not ein, and by the way what is this thing with german? Its not the first anime series that i saw where german appears...
Beside that, the mind game looked interesting, let's see how things will turn out in the next episodes!
Aug 15, 2009 10:37 PM

Mar 2009
this series looks good, but ill wait til its finished before starting

i hate waiting week by week on releases :/
Sep 29, 2009 2:27 PM

Oct 2008
Hmm interesting, haven't watched an anime like this in a while so this should be pretty good. Looking forward to the rest of the series =).
Oct 9, 2009 4:40 PM

Aug 2009
Holy shit. Great art and music. Ein is indeed very motherfucking hot.

At first I was like, wtf how did Zwei get his extraordinary powers when fighting Ein? The professor did then tell that when he's in a pinch, he get this power. Lmao

Very decent episode btw. Just wondering what was that "You are me and I am you." by Ein.

PHANTOMS BABY!
Oct 15, 2009 3:23 PM

Aug 2009
First impression was really really good! :) Hope It will turn out great!
Does anyone know the music that plays near the end of this episode? Around 20:20. With the choir men voices! I noticed it and loved it! It made a dramatic finale for the episode! I would love it if anyone could help me find it! Thank you! (NOT the ending theme, the music near the end!)
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Oct 21, 2009 6:55 AM
Oct 2009
So far so good. First episode was really interesting and of course art looks fantastic. A quite classic theme "who am i" and mystery science project but it isn't bad choice. I can't wait to watch another episode !
Oct 31, 2009 10:22 PM

Sep 2009
Pretty good characters. Some nice little action exchanges. Interesting plot set-up.

Credit to WingZero619 from Animesuki!!
Apr 6, 2010 2:38 AM
May 2009
Moonfrost said:

PHANTOMS BABY!

i'm not sure, but this anime is full with psyhology and i think she ment that they are soulmates, one can not work without the other.

I love this anime.
I don't understand why Zwei won't open his bag, which he stumbled over at the begining. perhaps he can find out who he really is, but he doesn't want, that bothers me :(
Jun 5, 2010 6:26 AM

Jan 2010
wow, this reminds me of DTB, a lot. and the art is fuckin awesome :3
ali project <3
Aug 3, 2010 5:22 PM

May 2009
This is sad...
And awesome ending =)
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Jan 17, 2011 5:48 PM

Mar 2009
definitely a great start for me will be watching more.
Feb 3, 2011 8:53 AM

Aug 2010
The romance is already underway...
Feb 9, 2011 4:14 PM

Dec 2008
Not a bad first episode.
May 26, 2011 11:36 AM

Jan 2010
Loving it, it's like DTB but more easier to understand.Love the music and art, hopefully it'll be more greater along the way.
Oct 31, 2011 10:18 AM

May 2011
interesting start, looking forward to more
Mar 9, 2012 3:56 AM

Oct 2009
Well ... this was pretty shit. That animation, as expected of them shitty studios.

I'll keep watching though. Script for the first episode was pretty damn bad but I guess it could turn for a better at some point; well hopefully anyway.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2012 1:47 AM

Sep 2011
Pretty interesting first episode. Looking forward to the next one, hopefully we will learn more.
Jun 10, 2012 11:35 AM

Jan 2012
i know im coming into this anime late, but decided to thow my 2 pennies worth in..... in any case it was an average/slightly above episode for me, looking at the comments what I think has already been said there was nothing exactly... WOW about this, and just predictable characters as of yet, and cliche plot line... but I want to stick with it it, and will do because I have heard good things about this one, so im expecting something to change or happen, I did however love the art, and the opening theme.... the ending I just won't comment on because quite frankly it was abysmal :/ not quite sure why I sat through it tbh.
Jul 20, 2012 8:39 PM

Aug 2010
Interesting anime, the cute girl they showed at the end caught my attention.
Aug 31, 2012 2:40 PM

Aug 2012
Promising. 3/5

Oct 28, 2012 10:51 AM
Jul 2012
This seems promising.
How Zwel have no memories?
Don't really like the Op and Ed.
4/5 good episode
Next episode will be good too.
Dec 22, 2012 10:25 PM

May 2011
Excellent concept/atmosphere. A very well done intro episode.

I was a little surprised at first because I didn't know what to expect, but this is definitely above my expectations. This should be a great experience.
Jan 13, 2013 9:22 AM

Nov 2011
Hmm, an interesting concept. But it'll probably take a few more episodes for me to get into it! Looking forward to it.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Apr 16, 2013 4:58 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I'm watching this because of all the good reviews I saw, and because of Urobuchi, I liked Psycho Pass and Fate/Zero, as well as his new anime, Suisei no Gargantia, so I figured I should get to this anime soon since it's been on my ptw list for awhile. I was not disappointed at all. I'm loving the overall dark tone of the anime and the visuals are great. I'm just surprised that despite the high ratings this anime has, there are a lot of people in this thread that do not like it, or think it's okay so far. I guess I haven't watch that much anime to have a refined taste like some of the people who previously commented before me, but I feel that people are quick to judge things? First episodes don't always have to be amazing :/ Well at least I liked it ^^
Jun 10, 2013 12:15 AM

Dec 2012
Really really bad episode. Well, to the "on-hold" list it goes...
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 15, 2013 12:56 AM

Jun 2012
calaveth said:
I thought the first episode was alright, but it really failed to make me *care*. It was pretty bland. Waiting to see how the other shows this season turns out, but I'd be surprised if I followed this one to the end. Not dropping it quite yet though.

Same here. It obviously has great production quality, but it really failed to sell itself in the first episode.
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Aug 13, 2013 4:00 AM

Apr 2013
And so it begins. Although for a pilot episode, still not much information but I don't care. The pacing might be slow for now but I really expect the show to be exhilarating.

Love the quasi hug between Zwei and Eien. Eien wanted to kiss Zwei. So cute!

Love the OP theme. The ED theme is kinda creepy but it fits the theme of the show...

4/5

Oct 30, 2013 7:53 PM
Nov 2011

Hmm very interesting this makes me want to know more about who he is an what this inferno organisation is trying to do, will have to find out pretty soon.

omg why won't my image work, someone tell me where im going wrong cause this shit is pissing me right off now
mejordan1993Oct 30, 2013 8:05 PM
Dec 3, 2013 2:21 PM

Oct 2012
Well, not bad for the first episode but this being my favourite novel made of Urobuchi Gen I expected better (and too bad they didn't have better soundtrack). They changed and consolidated character designs slightly but that's gotta be expected should they take it seriously. I think they decided to go with flashbacks of what really happened in the beginning so let's see how it works. There are still 25 episodes to get better so I am not worried, this episode was just for starters or as preview of action to come. At least we got Cal and some other characters in the end.

Next episode will go back to traning in the desert and I wonder if they do it right.
Jan 5, 2014 1:52 PM

Aug 2013
The premise look promising. I always liked everything related to the crime syndicate.

So we have two amnesic that are tool of the mafia.

I wonder what that Inferno organisation is. They seem to want to take the control of the criminal sector in Los Angeles.

Also, that girl we saw in Zwei memory, was that Ein? Even though, I find it hardly believable that they knew each other because she seem to be in the organisation since a long time ago. But at the same time, she was talking about assassination.

The OP was pretty cool. I hated the ED though, I find song like this anti-climatic.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 5, 2014 8:40 PM

Jun 2013
I actually kinda like this! The opening song is beautiful and the ending song is all kinds of crazy. Zwei REALLY reminds me of Hei, but I like Darker Than Black so that's not a problem.

While the show isn't very original, I'm interested in it for sure.
Jan 15, 2014 7:20 AM

Aug 2013
Definitely getting the Noir vibes. Kirika is that you? Well, I liked Noir so hopefully this one delivers.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 26, 2014 12:45 AM

Jul 2013
interesting... very interesting 1st episode it makes me wanna marathon it in 1 sitting!
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Sep 24, 2009

628 by __FK__ »»
Apr 15, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jul 16, 2009

145 by defaulticus »»
Mar 23, 2:46 PM

» Phantom: Requiem for the phantom. Visual Novel endings.

Jimmy2233 - Sep 26, 2013

5 by ALCYON3US »»
Feb 9, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ckam - Jul 20, 2009

71 by bubba460z »»
Dec 17, 2023 9:13 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Cheesyhoboe - Apr 23, 2009

116 by bubba460z »»
Dec 17, 2023 8:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.