Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 5, 2014 12:09 AM

Sep 2014
parfaited said:
aznkirby890 said:
Yes, I may terrible for saying this, but in all honesty the repetitive yells, albeit justified and completely reasonable, that lasted through almost the entire episode ruined the moment for me. All I could hear was Erin yelling her name.

and I feel kind of terrible for agreeing with this. I think it would have more impact if a few of the scenes has been a little quieter.

Anyway I did not cry. Sorry to say that Soyon never grew on me...but this was brutal for sure.
The Touda are beats, the villagers are beasts, everyone's a damn beast.

I have to agree with these guys, and also, that intro music they put on while soyon was being torn apart was kind of retarded. It makes you feel like you should feel happy and pumped that she's getting brutally killed. Could have been a great episode but erin's okaa-san voice got on my nerves and the music.....
Sep 7, 2014 11:33 PM

Jun 2008
I saw this coming from the first episode...but that didn't make it easy. I haven't felt this emotional from an anime or really any kind of media in a long time. Damn.

I also feel like this show just became The Lion King.
Oct 13, 2014 5:02 AM

Nov 2009
So . . . I hope Erin ends up in a nation that ISN'T that one . . . Because honestly, her mother sacrificed so much for them, and then the ungrateful pricks kill her in such a brutal way. I wanna see revenge! (Although I know it won't happen)
Oct 31, 2014 1:31 PM
Oct 2012
I truly hate animes sometimes, why must they be so dark?
Dec 28, 2014 4:02 PM

Sep 2013
why did she let herself get killed when she could clearly get the hell outta there??? I really hate this kind of unreasonable scenes. No logic at all. Morality? LOL any sane person would escape, no matter their morality.... Stupid ep, hope the rest of this anime is more logical. Obvious "shock value" (=bad) episode .
Jan 2, 2015 8:43 PM

Jul 2012
NeutroNShivA said:
why did she let herself get killed when she could clearly get the hell outta there??? I really hate this kind of unreasonable scenes. No logic at all. Morality? LOL any sane person would escape, no matter their morality.... Stupid ep, hope the rest of this anime is more logical. Obvious "shock value" (=bad) episode .

Probably to protect Erin. Had she left too they'd be searching for her and make the entire nation aware of the great crime.
Feb 26, 2015 8:36 AM
Sep 2008
I wonder if the forbidden act Soyon did before dying was speaking to the Touda...

Anyway an extremely sad episode.
Apr 15, 2015 12:01 PM

Dec 2013
R.I.P. best anime mom ;_;
at least we're getting some freshness in the enxt episode, new location, new character
Jun 8, 2015 12:43 AM

Jul 2008
Well that was a happy episode.

Congrats Wadan, you got what you wanted. Soyon is gone and you're the "best" vet in the village.
Jul 9, 2015 1:55 PM

May 2009
I remember Erin saying she wanted to speak to the Touda, I think we just got a hint it's possible. But damn, this episode ripped my heart to shreds. :(
Sep 4, 2015 5:28 AM

Nov 2013
This was very expected
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Sep 4, 2015 6:22 PM

Nov 2010
Another Top Childhood Trauma. PTSD here we come!

I wanted her to get on that Touda so bad and save herself...
What a boss move to control them like that.
What a true mother..
Sep 13, 2015 1:28 PM

Feb 2009
NeutroNShivA said:

It was just hinted at because it would have been to gory for an NHK-Show, but Soyon was badly wounded by a sword just the moment before she was pushed over the cliff. The blood was supposed to attrack even more Touda. Nson mentioned this in ep. 14. Soyon knew that she wouldn't survive the wound.
Oct 10, 2015 6:56 PM

Apr 2014
oh goddd....that was terribly sad, i guess this show really isn't completely for kids after all

so many questions...what was that whistle technique? who's the green-haired guy on the cliff? what is special about the mist people?

RIP Soyon, you didn't deserve that
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2016 2:06 PM

Dec 2015
merle_noir said:
Nitre said:
Ridiculously sad ep. Awesome though. Really looking forward to the rest of the series.

Soyon needed to die, though, so that the story could actually go somewhere, as much as it pains me to say that.

I don't think anyone would think less of you for saying so; you're right. It was necessary...

... but that doesn't make it any less sad! This has to be one of the saddest anime episodes I've seen in a very, very long time. Yes, it was great. It was also terribly... depressing. Erin must be beyond traumatized, after witnessing her mother die by being eaten alive. (Sort of? Seemed like the Touda carried her too fast to actually see, but still. Darn.)

The next episode looks promising, though. The old guy in the preview is probably just what Erin needs at the moment, I'm guessing.

I agree. I don't really understand why people say it's a kids show? I don't really think it is.. It's just made this way so that everyone could watch it. That doesn't really make it a kids show in my opinion.
It was so sad, though we probably all saw that coming. I kind of assumed that Soyon would die at some point from the first episode. But is was still so so sad...
I wouldn't want Erin to get revenge, it would be best if she just lived her life to the fullest.
And I think that the other reason why Soyon didn't go with Erin, was because she was stabbed? It just seemed like she was. We didn't see blood, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Plus of course she wanted Erin to live a peaceful, happy life.

Soyon really was a great mother. And the technique she used rises so many questions. I wonder what connection she had with the man (from the mist people) who saw her die. Brother maybe?
''One is enough, find someone completely unique'' -Yato
''You can't feel lonely if there's no one else around'' -Yamaken
''Because it's broken, it will never recover'' -Nanami
Jan 16, 2016 1:58 PM

Feb 2010
waiii u do thisss :((((

Jan 20, 2016 7:40 PM

Apr 2013
Oh... my... Gawd... (ಥ﹏ಥ)

Da feels are too much for me. RIP Soyon. You da real MVP.
Feb 5, 2016 1:17 PM

Oct 2015
Stark700 said:
Oh God, I was holding my breath too when Soh-yon was thrown off that cliff. ;.;

Never forget.

Mother...mother...mother!!!
;.;

5/5

Soooo sad :'(

Especially what she did to save her daughter, but not herself, was HEARTBREAKING!
Mar 29, 2016 2:52 PM
May 2010
It seems the mother had already fainted or died from blood loss before the Touda even reached her, as shown by her sinking beneath the waves just before they arrived. It's not a big surprise that she didn't try to save herself, given that she was dying, and also, as others pointed out, if she were to escape, a man-hunt would ensue.
Aug 11, 2017 7:12 PM

Feb 2013
Fuuuuuuuuuck you anime world -_-
i know it's going to happen since ep 1 the MOM was so good to last in the show
fuck i hate the ep and i hate the anime -_-
Oct 25, 2017 8:25 PM

Mar 2012
See now had you just stayed at home you wouldn't have been traumatized and almost killed for the third time.
Apr 23, 2018 7:29 PM

Oct 2012
Holy shit, that was incredible. This show is everything I was hoping for and then some.
Aug 15, 2018 2:05 PM

Sep 2011
This might have been one of the most painful death scenes I've ever seen.

That Touda Trial was too brutal, she was to be eaten alive, first she was stabbed so the smell of blood would attract the Touda, which in turn were furious for being awakened by the drum. And her daughter saw it all as she tried in vain to save her, almost dying with her, but in the end she chose to break a taboo so that her daughter could go on living.

Part of me wishes she had mounted on the back of that Touda too, but I guess it was too late with that wound, and if she escaped they would be hunted like animals by that army.

It was too painful, too brutal, the worst part of it all was that Wadan pretending he had a conscience, I mean, it doesn't matter if in that moment he truly cared, he was one of the main reasons her life was miserable in the first place, and he shared the same feelings of that soldier that decided her fate based on preconceptions.

The same can be said about the father of her husband, he's the worst, he didn't see to care at all till now, I could only see the way he protected her from the whip as an act of hypocrisy, it was too late to care. He wasn't even close or gentle to his own granddaughter, I can only assume that he didn't care about them at all, and just tolerated them. I just hate those two, and I'm really glad that at the very least, Erin is now far away from there, who knows what would've happened to her if she stayed at that village.
Oct 20, 2018 10:28 AM
Aug 2018
Wow, what a cruel world. I didn't expect that from the rather bright and cheerful atmosphere of the anime.

They don't even know what caused the death, the "inspectors" don't inspect but rather judge, and yet they give her a death penalty?

Damn, I wouldn't want to live in a world like that.

I wish Erin would burn down the whole village and slaughter Damiya. And the whole dukes family.

And how can the mother do something like that to her own child? Letting herself get killed over nothing? Leaving her daughter alone in such a cruel world? FFS.

They should have let her "disappear" and then reunite her with her daughter after a few years, but not some s... like this.

The village eldest betrayed his son and his own village. And that other breeder (w.e. his name was) betrayed his own guild. Would love to see both getting killed by beasts.

Edit:
Wouldn't it have been sufficient to make the viewer believe that her mother is dead?

For example, Erin and her mother both climp onto the back of that beast (can't remember it's name), with her mother injured. Both escape the beasts, but along the way her mother falls off, with her daughter watching, and then let there be some waterfall, or what ever, where the mother falls off, screaming for her daughter.
Make it look extra dramatic so both Erin and the viewer assume that she died. Then you can let the viewer in the believe that this is actually the case, with nearly the same emotional impact.
But instead of dying, the mother gets swept away, survives somehow and tries to find her daughter, but doesn't succeed until near the very end of the anime.
This way you could have both the suspension and at least a happy end. But I guess that idea never crossed the authors mind.
tr25a3Oct 20, 2018 1:10 PM
Dec 2, 2018 10:07 PM

Jul 2013
Lmao that music. I don't think a woman being eaten alive was the best place to put the sing-along
Apr 11, 2019 9:31 PM

Jan 2018
Jeez to all the people who thought it was annoying when she kept yelling "Oka-san!!" What the fuck else would a child do if they had to watch their only parent, whom they were closer to than anyone in the world, get eaten alive? Smh

That aside, this episode was riveting. The music did feel a tad out of place in some parts, but it really wasn't bad enough to take away from the scene.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

May 21, 2019 5:58 AM

Oct 2012
A kiba's life is more important than the people itself, at same time they enslaved these kiba like their well being don't matter at all

I only wish the final episode is satisfying like the empire being ruined
Or these people have horrible things called Karma

The drama is too much for me, I'm annoyed at these people every episodes
I feel bad for Erin :(
Time to grow up, Erin!
"Signature removed"
Mar 27, 2020 8:25 AM
Dec 2019
In fiction you have to have a very good reason for tragedy of this sort, where you build up a very sympathetic character just to give them the ax. As a viewer I don't like being emotionally abused unless it's absolutely necessary for the story and the story actually lives up to the tragedy by being that good. In real life, tragedy happens at random and there's no payoff, but that doesn't mean fiction should do it just for the sake of realism.

It remains to be seen whether or not the principle she sacrificed herself for was worth scarring her daughter, because to be honest, in the real world, if it was between standing up for animal rights and my kid having a parent, it's a no-brainer. Even if it was worth the principle, I wonder if that was the wisest path to take unless this decision was going to save people's lives.
Apr 7, 2020 5:06 AM

Feb 2014
Okay but like why did they have to pull a Land Before Time here ;_;
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2020 11:59 PM
Feb 2018
Fuck all of you who wanted the mom to die just so the story could go faster!!!!
May 14, 2020 7:22 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
I cried.

Erin’s screams, to me, wasn’t annoying. Instead, it just kept pulling at my heart. :( She’s 10, and the only family she has left is her mother, who was being eaten in front of her eyes. And she can’t do anything about it but scream.

Jun 7, 2020 7:24 PM

May 2019
This was predicable. Soyon was an "intruder" in a military purpose village of a very xenophobic country, even she already knew what could happen to her the very moment she engaged her husband.

All she did until this moment was to keep living in that village (only place where she, as a misty-people, would be acepted because her father in law) and trying to grow Erin.

She avoided to escape with Erin, even knowing that the judgement would be the death penalty (as it was before, with Erin's greatgrandfather) because this way she and Erin would be chased to death by the kingdom. The moment the Kibas died, her destiny was already sealed.

Her job was terrible in fact and we may ask why she keep doing that, putting Erin's future in risk. The awnser maybe is that after her husband death, due the prejudice, she would be exiled from the village if she didnt found the job that impressed everyone with her skills.

Cruel world, with lack of choices, right? Not very different of the real one for most of humanity even now.
Oct 25, 2020 3:02 PM

Dec 2015
Well that was fucked up.
Feb 2, 2021 3:11 AM

Feb 2020
Well that was one brutal way to die. I'm glad they didn't show anything too disturbing.

Those two last episodes have been very good and I'm glad the plot is finally moving forward, however seeing that Soyon had a chance to escape but didn't use it bothered me a bit. I don't understand why she didn't escape with Erin, did she just let herself die out of respect for the laws ? That's stupid. Now she is letting her daughter all alone go we don't know where, how is that any better than defying the law ? I liked Soyon but she really proved herself to be stupid at times.
Also, I hope those two thieves won't stay around. I could more or less tolerate them for one episode, but if they actually come back and ruin the mood when things are getting serious, it's gonna be hard to watch, especially since for now they've been completely useless.
FafetteFeb 2, 2021 12:51 PM
Feb 14, 2021 1:30 PM

Jul 2017
Predictable? Yes. But man, still that was quite some fucked up shit to watch innit. Poor Erin crying her eyes out while seeing her mother not only fall off the cliff and see her sacrifice herself for her future like that, but to see her mother be devoured too by the creatures she loved. The government can kiss my ass for that death sentence to Soyon but in the end, tragedy was meant to happen for the story to advance somewhere. Really grim but also, a really good episode. Only thing that bothered me was that the OP song being used in the scene where Soyon was being devoured by Touda felt a bit too much for me, didn't really mix well with the emotional, sorrowful tone the show was going for when bright music was playing in the background.
Feb 26, 2021 2:53 AM

Feb 2016
Only in anime-manga land could suiciding and leaving your young child alone; with nothing; not even a body to bury - be dressed up as a 'good' thing.
If she actually cared about her daughter as much as they keep insisting -should would have escaped with Erin once she knew an inspector was coming for her.

Also executing your weapon makers for an accident/mistake ia unrealistic AF for a competently run state.
Touda seem to be a dime a dozen; which means it's all about the raising and taming.
It's no different that executing your scientists and engineers because a weapon test failed....it's shortsighted, irrational sh*t that you only see in fiction and the occasional failing state.
Sep 26, 2021 12:12 AM

Jun 2016
yo wtf is this !!
i hope erin turn into darkside and destroy the kingdom !!
Jan 13, 2022 8:11 PM

Aug 2018
10/10 episode.

What a stupid kingdom they live in though. Those dumbasses worship the grand duke like hes god or something. I agree with guy above! Take down the kingdom, Erin!

Feb 21, 2022 2:37 PM

Jan 2010
I loved Kemono no Souja Erin at first because I enjoyed the mother/daughter dynamic, as it's rare for an anime to have a parent and child as main characters. Usually, the parent dies, leaving the child as the sole main focus. Ideally, the dynamic would give unique types of stories beyond the typical teenage coming-of-age stories.

Well, I guess it was too good to be true. I'm honestly disappointed, especially with how Soyon was treated so unfairly and brutally. It just seems like such a waste of a character, much less how unnecessarily traumatic this had to be for Erin. As an anime, I recognize that it's still pretty good, but this isn't the type of story I'd normally go out of my way to watch.
Aug 8, 2022 12:31 PM

Feb 2020
have to say that the weird upbeat music kinda lessened the impact of a little girl watching her mother get eaten alive but still, goddamn! just when I was starting to get bored with this show. I wonder if it was that other beastinarian guy who poisoned the kiba. he was certainly quick to throw soyon under the bus, but I doubt he has the balls to go that far...though idk who else it could have been.
Aug 8, 2022 12:39 PM

Feb 2020
KR_P said:
Only in anime-manga land could suiciding and leaving your young child alone; with nothing; not even a body to bury - be dressed up as a 'good' thing.
If she actually cared about her daughter as much as they keep insisting -should would have escaped with Erin once she knew an inspector was coming for her.

Also executing your weapon makers for an accident/mistake ia unrealistic AF for a competently run state.
Touda seem to be a dime a dozen; which means it's all about the raising and taming.
It's no different that executing your scientists and engineers because a weapon test failed....it's shortsighted, irrational sh*t that you only see in fiction and the occasional failing state.

I agree with your first point but they weren't ordinary touda, they were apparently the grand duke's kiba, and also soyon was a hated ethnic minority who they didn't want raising the touda in the first place. The investigator guy was very quick to villify her when he found out that she was one of the mist people, if she wasn't then the investigation might have been longer/more in-depth or the punishment might have been less harsh.
Aug 15, 2022 7:28 AM

Feb 2016
ponpokorin said:
KR_P said:

I agree with your first point but they weren't ordinary touda, they were apparently the grand duke's kiba, and also soyon was a hated ethnic minority who they didn't want raising the touda in the first place. The investigator guy was very quick to villify her when he found out that she was one of the mist people, if she wasn't then the investigation might have been longer/more in-depth or the punishment might have been less harsh.

But that was the thing; she was well aware of how hated her people was and iirc even for non-mist people; death was the punishment for the deaths of those touda, so she must have understood what was almost certainly going to happen to her.
The reason why they let someone they hated to raise those touda in first place; was presumably because of how amazing she was at doing it -it doesn't make sense to get rid of probably the best trainer they had for one painful but non-critical mistake. And yeah their hatred could drove them to irrationality but I mean -even dysfunctional groups like the Taliban have allowed women with critical skills to continue with their jobs because that was the least worst option for them.
Mar 25, 2023 11:14 PM

Nov 2021
this was bound to happen sooner or later, but poor Erin tho she saw her mother getting eaten up by wild beasts >︿<
Jul 1, 2023 8:07 AM

Jan 2021
Even the episode skipping the intro and starting with narration feels ominous.
A very cinematic shot of the Duke's sons dueling, but I find it somewhat hard to care at the moment.
Word gets around fast, at least if you're the nephew of the Queen (who is also his aunt). Still not 100% on that whole Founding King story. Also, more ominous monologue.
Ah yes, racism was inevitably going to be a part of this "trial". They value loyalty over competency, and Soyon is judged as disloyal by the color of her eyes alone.
Wow, when even racist guy is taken aback by how Soyon is treated you know the other guy is a massive turd.
Also, Soyon knows the cause is poison but...also doesn't know? She's seems like she's holding back something.
I don't know what "Touda Trial" is but judging by the general reaction, it's not pleasant. What is this going to be, some Flash Gordon ordeal?
Advice for making Touda medicine balls seems oddly similar to advice making steaks. The latter never helped me, though.
Oh hell no, they went straight to "ironic death sentence".
Oof, Erin's planning ahead for what to do after saving her mom. If I was naive I might think those plans could come to fruition.
Racist dude, stop being so sympathetic and genuinely concerned for Erin, I need an outlet for my disdain right now.
While I generally like the jingle that plays during the eye catch, it feels incredibly out of place this time.
Soyon is literally shaking. It's not actually something I've seen a lot in anime, but it's definitely understandable here.
OH JESUS CHRIST, NOT THESE GUYS. This is making it very difficult to keep my notes G rated. I get it, they're trying to make the darker moments more kid friendly, but COMIC RELIEF DURING AN EXECUTION, REALLY?
The Overseer of the Mist people—Nassan, apparently—shows up. I had a theory that Erin might eventually be taken in by the Mist People. Perhaps Nassan's attendance is an indication that this'll indeed happen.
"That's fine you won't need to murder this child, the Touda will do it for us" really doing all he can to become the most despicable character on the show.
Well that finger whistle that lets her freely control is definitely massively important and relevant to the Mist People's big secret but I'm not in a speculating mood.
"Don't look back Eren Erin!"
I'm a little surprised by just how emotionally affected Wadan, who for the first time made me want to use his name, is by Soyon's death.
Overall Thoughts: I thought her mother dying was a pretty safe guess (there was some doubt but it seemed like some upcoming tragedy was heavily implied from the OP alone) so I thought I was prepared for it to happen and shrug it off with some sardonic remarks. I couldn't have been more wrong There's not that many anime that make me even well up, but this ending is one of the much smaller club that made me ugly cry. Not to go all group-therapy—I wasn't even sure about bringing this up because it's a bit personal—but I lost my mom when I was around the same age as Erin and while similar situations in other shows never really bothered me much, this episode hit me so hard I think it might have struck a nerve that I didn't even know was there anymore. I normally only get emotional at bittersweet moments but this one really made me understand the meaning of "reduced to tears". I can't even speculate about the plot anymore. When I joined this rewatch I thought it was going to be a mildly more child-friendly show from an author I liked with maybe some tragedy in it. I wasn't expecting this. Good thing I watched this one a few hours early so I can take a breather before my second watch.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 36 Discussion

wakka9ca - Sep 20, 2009

26 by Rob7 »»
Nov 15, 2023 4:58 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 42 Discussion

DeathfireD - Nov 1, 2009

31 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:05 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 41 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 25, 2009

37 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:03 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 40 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 17, 2009

39 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:27 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 39 Discussion

Ahohime - Oct 11, 2009

40 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.