Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 30, 2014 8:12 PM
Jul 2014
dchoy said:
angie_hates_u said:

She didn't want Manaka to wake up, but after she did she became jealous, its obvious

She only started fighting her feelings in last two episodes, but before that she didn't care about anyone's feelings but hers

I never said anything about hating her for becoming main character though

Initially she didn't want Manaka to wake up but realized she was in the wrong. Nagi No Asukara is about finding yourself and accepting change which all the characters have done including Miuna. Hikari has changed, Chisaki has changed, Kaname has changed; it's a reoccurring theme throughout the series.

I've never viewed Miuna as being selfish. While there is always a hint of jealousy when you want attention from the person you like, she sacrifices her own wants and needs for everyone else. Do you remember the episode when she said she wanted to protect Hikari's smile? She helped them find Manaka. She helped with the Ofunehiki to help not only the people on the surface but the people of the sea. She is just as worried as Hikari when it comes to Manaka. She dove into the water immediately to save Manaka and ultimately saved her life. I will agree that initially she might have been selfish but wasn't Hikari selfish at the start of the anime? Remember how he only cared for Manaka and how he viewed the people of the surface? He similar to Miuna changed over time. He initially hated Tsugumu because he saw how Manaka viewed him but eventually supported her decision. Nagi No Asukara is about finding yourself and understanding the importance of family and friends. While not everything in life goes according to plan, you have to accept things for how they are and protect those that you hold dear.

Another theme with the anime is the idea of being human. Miuna understood she was in the wrong. She could have easily not helped Hikari and Kaname find Manaka. You can argue she wanted to see the Sea and where her mother came from but at the same time she did help find Manaka despite Uroku-sama probing her to admit other things like her love for Hikari,

I think we can all have our own opinions as to whether we like a character or not. With all that being said, I don't think Miuna deserved to be sacrificed. She deserves the right to live and grow up just like everyone else. No one person should have to take the fall just because the Sea God is selfish. If you wanted to point out someone being jealous and selfish point fingers at the Sea God and not Miuna. Miuna and Manaka are two of the most self less characters in the whole show because of what they did for everyone.

I really hope that Nagi No Asukara ends on a high note.

This person gets it. If you guys didn't notice the themes that were pretty much blatantly put out there, you don't really deserve to make such negative claims.
May 15, 2015 7:50 AM

Sep 2012
It's because the majority of anime watchers are a bunch of main whores. They only like the main character and will never try and like/understand a character other than the main. In this case Miuna was getting in the way of their "precious Manaka" so people started hating her.
May 15, 2015 9:31 PM

Aug 2014
I just never cared about Miuna and her situation. If she won Hikari, then great. If she didnt get Hikari, then I dont care.

I was more focused on the Kaname-Chisaki-Tsumugu triangle.
Aug 20, 2016 3:58 PM

Jun 2016
I hate Miuna she is stupid and cliche girl who is trying to shove her feelings down Hikari throat I hate her my most hated In nagi no asakura

For me Tsumugu and Chisaki Are the best guys and girls In this series.

Aug 15, 2017 10:44 PM

Mar 2015
I can't believe anyone could hate Miuna. She's always been there for Hikari, kept waiting him for 5 years thinking that he'd surface one day. Then she realized that she's nothing to him, he never realized her feelings till the very end and kept hurting her. In the end she's the main suffering girl in every anime that Mari Okada composed/written. It's just like that with Mari Okada, you have a well developed main heroine... only to make her either heartbroken, die, or both.

DarklordVorAug 15, 2017 11:34 PM

Sep 4, 2017 8:20 PM

Feb 2010
Poor miuna :( she's my favorite character
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Sep 5, 2017 12:29 AM

Mar 2008
I'm certainly surprised anyone could really hate Miuna. She's not a bad character at all. It probably is the classic "threat to my ship!" reaction that does tend to happen. Miuna like everyone goes through an arc throughout the story, matures, and grows. If I can like Hikari by the end of this story, I think anyone should be able to let Miuna's moments of weakness go. That guy was basically a jerk in the first few episodes, but came out of it a pretty good character.

Miuna like everyone else is someone who gets hit hard by love. The ups, the downs, and yeah that love threatens another ship. Tsumugu was simultaneously a threat to Hikari and Kaname at the same time in the first half of the show. No one wants to throw Tsumugu under a bus for that. It wasn't his fault that initially Manaka was developing feelings for him as much as it wasn't a crime for him to fall in love with Chisaki as the show went along. There was nothing wrong with Miuna falling in love either. Nor was it wrong to hope those feelings would be reciprocated.

I was surprised that she transitioned into a main if not the main character after the time skip...but that's hardly a big deal. The role a character plays can change. She handled things pretty well and matured into a pretty likable person.

Honestly I wished her the best when the show ended.
Oct 3, 2017 1:11 PM
Sep 2010
I didn't even know she gets hate, she was quite realistic and was actually one of my favorite characters in the show. The only character that actually annoyed me sometimes was Chisaki...
Nov 2, 2017 4:16 PM

Oct 2017
Manaka fans probably hate her since she was the female lead in the second half..I wish she got together with Hikari tbh. Manaka sucked
Jul 24, 2019 12:40 PM
Feb 2019
I hate Miuna not because she interferes with my ship, because first of all, she kept saying she's the same age as Hikari, when that isn't exactly true, he body only stopped growing, but mentally he's older. Second of all, he is her uncle and it's not right that she loves him like that. Also, she keeps trying to force her way into the group and it's annoying. Another reason is that she got ENA and ughh that just pisses me off. I liked her way better when she was a 9 year old. I didn't like Chisaki that much at first, but I like her a lot better after the time-skip.
Sep 25, 2019 1:42 PM

Nov 2018
Well, she is my fav.I also support her whether it ends with her or not.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Oct 8, 2019 2:06 AM
Sep 2017
Karmaxx707 said:
When that isn't exactly true, he body only stopped growing, but mentally he's older.

But they are the same age both mentally and physically...
His sleep happened in an instant for him so how did he age more mentally???

Karmaxx707 said:
Second of all, he is her uncle and it's not right that she loves him like that.

I always find this "but they are family" argument to be dumb. If the parents of a non married couple get married before them, does that make the non married couple's relationship "not right?" By your stupid logic, yes as they are step siblings. But any person that's less dense than a rock would understand that it's fine.

Karmaxx707 said:
she keeps trying to force her way into the group

I'm starting to question whether we even watched the same show??? When did 14 year old Miuna do that? If anyone, it was Chisaki who was wishing for things to stop changing and forcing herself, a 19 year old, into a group of 14 year olds which she had her reasons for. Miuna is a compelling character and in case you didn't notice, acted as the narrator and a necessary outside observer as everyone else was either asleep or had grownup and she also had a stronger connection than her friend to the sea and the main cast being the step daughter of the main lead's sister and being half. She also never forced her way into the group as it was completely natural; they go to the same school, they live in the same house, they met before the time skip.

And why did her getting Ena piss you off? It's kinda crucial plot point for the ending and she just happened to be one of the first to get it. What's more questionable is how did Tsumugu got it being only a forth but I digress and the writers smartly never gave too much information on how ena works and how it is passed on to avoid plot holes under the cover of even the characters themselves dont really understand it.

Every character had their own motivations and reasons for the way they acted but whether those motivations are realistic is another topic but I for one don't watch shows and expect realism.
Aug 2, 2020 10:32 PM
May 2020
MoeGod said:
Is it just because she's originally a side character? Yes, she's persistent towards Hikari but how's that a bad thing? All the main characters are just as adamant not to change as Miuna yet they don't get any hate? If anything I find how she handled the fact that Hikari's still hung up on Manaka as very matured. She didn't throw a fit or become depressed and instead still support Hikari however she can yet some people think she's annoying while excusing Sayu's behavior.

Compare that to Manaka who's a crybaby, indecisive, and dense. Every time she said "Hii-kun" I always wanted to punch the screen. A 14 years-old Miuna is FAR more mature than the 14 years-old Manaka. I'm fine with anyone ending with whoever (this is Mari Okada's works after all, guessing is futile). I'm just irritated by the blind hate just because she's "interfering" with Manaka x Hikari pair.

Yeah I don't hate her but I only ever saw her as a child even after she grew up. It was a bit odd to see the once little girls try to be with the group of 4, despite Chisaki being the only adult out of those four.
Sep 20, 2020 7:22 AM
Jul 2018
Because she is trying to ruin my ship with Hikari and Manaka. She just wants attention and I’d rather have her when she was younger not when she’s 14! Omg! So annoying!
Oct 3, 2020 10:24 AM
Jun 2019
MoeGod said:
kisetsune said:
jiraiya_sensei Sure, the story hasn’t ended yet, but even if they manage to come up with an outstanding explanation as to why Miuna acquired her habilities, the fact that she went from being a secondary character to a relevant key to the plot, with no consistent transition, still remains. Her eminence has been suddenly thrown upon her. If she was to supposed to be of importance from the start, her purpose should have been slowly introduced throughout the series instead of having her only to add cheap drama for the most part of it. It seems like it all was unpremeditated and she was randomly chosen to uphold her “role”, because someone had to do it.

Also, I don’t remember ever mentioning Manaka. Using her to sustain your argument on Miuna is beyond the point. Comparing a character's personality to another's in order to lessen their actions is lacking a better excuse.

Miuna's chasing IS irritating.

As someone stated before, Miuna is not a part of the “group” and she’s only somewhat related to Hikari. Still, she tries to force her way into what she was never meant to be a part of. Even though she’s not friends with Kamame, Chisaki and Manaka, she’s infatuated to Hikari to the point where she would want to insert herself into fragments of the time he spent together with his his friends.

For example, when she's at the Shioshishio school, she starts imagining all of them together and says "The place I wished for... inside the sea", and then she sees their height records and decides to write hers in as well because she feels the urge to “fit in” with them and share the same memories with Hikari.

Moreover, the reason behind her wanting to visit Shioshishio was mostly all about Hikari. “Hikari is going to Shioshishio”, “The world Hikari was in”, "A world that I don't know", "Hikari's world that I don't know". It just feels like she wants to be a part of every bit of his life and experience all he has ever experienced. She’s sounds like remote stalker and her borderline obsession annoyes me.

Eh.. that's like saying you can't insert yourself into your boyfriend's/girlfriend's circle of friends. What's the reasoning behind that? why can't anyone insert themselves into other people's little clique? what if someone transfer into your school? based on your logic, he/she shouldn't try to insert themselves into the already existing group of friends. Your reasoning that Miuna can't try to put herself into Hikari's group (which has been "broken" anyway due to the hibernation) is very childish and selfish. The writer went all the way to make sure so Miuna is at the same age as Hikari, there must be a good reason for that.

Everyone is selfish in one way or another when it comes to love. Manaka lying to get Tsumugu's attention, Kaname asking Hikari direct questions even though he knew it would create tension between the 4 of them, Chisaki rooting Manaka to get Tsumugu so she can be with Hikari, Hikari going to Shishishio for the sole purpose of looking for Manaka, Akari ignoring her father and the villager's objection of her having a relationship with Miuna's dad, Sayu who kept waiting and eventually decide to keep loving Kaname. How come Miuna's the only one who doesn't get any slack? you mention I shouldn't compare her action to others but it's extremely hypocritical to criticize Miuna's actions when other characters have done the same or even worse things.

She's in love with Hikari, of course she wants to be part of his life! You merely blew a normal reaction into something exaggerated like "stalker-ish" because you're blinded by your hate towards her. Do you even watch the latest episode? did she not remember her mother's story? Shioshishio is her mother's hometown and she heard a lot of story about it since she was little. How in the world can you say that her reason to go there is "all about Hikari"?

Just answer me this question, would a stalker and an obsessed person helped Hikari go to Shioshishio and find Manaka? She knew that Hikari wanted to look for Manaka and if he finds her, it's almost as good as game over for her. Miuna could have pretended she was scared to go to Shioshishio, she could have pretended she didn't meet Uroko, she could also pretend she has no idea where Manaka is (saying something along the lines of I can't hear the sound anymore). Hikari and Kaname would have a much harder time even getting to Shioshishio let alone find Manaka.

People need to accept that she's one of the main characters now (along with Sayu), a supporting character transitioning into a main character is nothing new in literature. If anything, her story in the first part was merely to establish her feelings for Hikari so she has a reason to help Hikari come the 2nd part. It would only be weird if she did nothing on the first part and then suddenly become obsessed with helping Hikari after the time skip.
PREACH. Well said, thank you so much
Oct 4, 2020 2:59 AM

Mar 2017
Dunno why I'm writing this so many years after watching the show lol.
Anyway I don't get why she gets hate either. If anything I wanted her to end up with Hikari. She's the character that left most impression on me in this series. And the only thing I remember after so many years of watching this series is how sad I felt for her at the end. Sorry if you are a Manaka fan but the only thing I remember about her is her being a brat.
Oct 17, 2020 7:35 PM
Jan 2010
I'm also replying late lol but Miuna is one of my favorite characters in the anime! Her unrequited love for Hikari is something I can definitely relate to, and one reason why I like her so much. When she came to terms with her feelings and decided to support both Hikari and Manaka, that was such an admirable thing for her to do.

I'm sad she never ended up with anyone at the end. (but I'm lowkey shipping her with Uroko sama now lol )
May 4, 2021 8:47 PM

Jul 2019
himeki-hiradaira said:
Thess said:
She's boring and looks like a textbook Mary Sue with unjustified focus on her dull drama. She was fine as side character, but Hikari's far better narrator.

this

this for fucking sure
Nov 3, 2021 12:48 PM
Jul 2020
Madara31 said:
melodisz said:

THIS
Agreed.

BOOM! CHECKMATE!
Nov 3, 2021 1:23 PM
Jul 2020
I'm here for MiunaxHikari too, but whenever Hikari can't make a harem route, I think Manaka will be more make sense to end with. Do you guys remember how persistent too a guy who loves Miuna? I think he can replace Hikari place for Miuna I guess. Miuna deserve to happy as Manaka do, open your heart for someone else like Chisaki did isn't bad at all.

I know Miuna was waiting for Hikari many years, but the boy was doing it too. He loves Miuna even from grade school. Miuna has accepted the reality that Hikari still loves Manaka (and they both love each other and know each other for a long time) at the end of the series IMO.

I mean, Hikari knows Miuna like maybe less than a year (despite he was hibernated for 5 years), I think this is hard for Hikari to fall in love with Miuna because he knows Miuna not long as he knows Manaka (especially he knows that they love each other, making him so much harder to love Miuna)

So, I think it's better if Miuna open her heart to someone else that really can love her, so she can reach her own happiness too... At the end of the series Miuna said it too that she looking forward to new feelings, and she even greet to the boy too... I think she will open her heart to someone new :)

But still deep down in my heart, I'm really hoping MiunaxHikari happen lol
Kevina17Nov 3, 2021 1:29 PM
Apr 25, 2022 9:38 AM
May 2021
honestly, i don’t hate her, i actually quite like her and really annoyed her but she got a bit annoying and i think the the only thing that put me off from her was that she was hikari’s STEP NIECE, ofc not by blood but it made me uncomfortable bc her feelings seemed genuine and it made me even more weirded out, although i’m all for a lil degeneracy but the anime took itself seriously so it wasn’t a funny joke; she had actual feelings for him that i didn’t see coming, it was obiovis that sayu like kaname as a small childhood crush and made sense but THATS UR STEP MUMS BROTHER!? you have a blood relative that you share; being akira; ikari’s son and miuna’s half brother” and yes yes i know they aren’t blood related it just came left field out of nowhere for me and actually developed her feelings and idk… she never felt gross by it? like u can like you like bc you can’t help ur feelings, it was just that she was normal about liking him, and if they weren’t blood related i wouldn’t have minded them at all and think their personality is so cute together but i couldn’t let myself take it to the next level bc it just seemed like she was just teasing her and she got cutely flustered, from her perspective; that’s a crush, but for him; it’s s his sisters daughter that grew up, the “technical” age gap was okay bc he frozen in time and it wasn’t wrong (well not entirely) which is why sayu and kaname is alright to me, but hikari and minua; just didn’t sit right w me and i kind of didn’t want them to end up together at all, i didn’t like manaka with hikari either but by the end i’m glad she was the one he still had feelings for, which ofc he did love miuna; just not like that (thankgod) but overall- don’t hate her and really did like her, just a small thing that was a bit off putting for me personally
May 6, 2022 6:25 PM

Dec 2021
Miuna is the best character in this entire anime. I don't hate/ dislike Manaka. But I would like it more if HikariXMiuna ended up together.
I really don't see any reasons to hate Miuna.
I think the author messed things up between MiunaXHitariXManaka at the end little bit. There could've been many better ending of this three. That's probably the reason one character is getting hate.(Just my personal opinion)
Hope to find that distinct person.
Sep 1, 2023 2:33 AM

Jun 2015
It's September 2023, and I still feel that Miuna deserves so much better than this.

I will rewatch the show just to feel the pain once more.
Sep 15, 2023 12:57 PM

Jul 2014
Because she comes out of nowhere and meddles in the middle of a relationship, I hated her and I was glad they didn't go the anime cliché route of triangle relationship ending the wrong way.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2014

652 by oooo3333 »»
Apr 3, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2013

385 by Wishimog »»
Feb 18, 10:10 PM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

353 by trabeus1 »»
Jan 18, 5:58 AM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2014

431 by Redcher »»
Sep 30, 2023 5:48 AM

» Your emotions throughout?

sorames - Jun 8, 2023

12 by mo_lave »»
Sep 26, 2023 8:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.