Forum Settings
Forums
Must be a Club Member to Reply 
Nov 19, 2007 11:28 AM
I started it a few months ago. It didn't really pull me in and I stopped reading after a while. I'll pick it up again this winter when I have time, but I was a little disappointed, although I was glad that that other girl who goes along with her in the anime and becomes her enemy in the first arc isn't in the novels (at least, she hasn't shown up yet). And I'm still looking forward to the sequels coming out so that we can eventually get a resolution on what happened to the black kirin.

Anyone else given the novels a try? The prose style is a bit stilted. I don't dislike it, but it's different.

Nov 29, 2007 11:29 PM
The wait for the second is killing me. But if it is as good as the first I'll be happy.

Jan 17, 2008 10:44 PM

I read a fan translation of it. I hope to buy the real English version that is out someday. I actually loved reading it, since it had things not mentioned in the anime, and although it is in the second Youko novel, the whole conflict about Youko being a female and a ruler, made a whole difference in the novel from an extra passage of what people might interpret in the anime. From the anime I thought it was a sexist idea that people have in the whole 12k world despite the more equal gender view I thought the world had, but (I'm sure it was) Rakushun explained it would be the same for a kingdom that had successful empresses. I guess that enough was worth reading the novel b/c it cleared up something I was wondering about.

The novel is not hard to read, so it was a plus too. Oh yea, her desperate survival in the forest was much in depth and dramatic as well~

Since it still counts as a novel I used it for a book report so I can nudge the general population a loittle bit into this community...>.< Got a good reply from the teacher, hah. :P

Jan 17, 2008 11:08 PM

I've been recently reading the novel also. I bought it, heh. And Sugimoto is in the novel, in the beginning. They were insulting her. But yeah, her and that guy never went into the world with Yoko. No idea why the anime decided to add them in.

The novel really puts a whole different perspective on Juuni Kokuki. Yoko's pains in the forest and her distrust and extreme loneliness is just plainly on a whole 'nother level in the novel. The anime couldn't come close to displaying how much suffering Yoko went through.

Feb 4, 2008 11:18 AM

I read the novel but it was so detailed and slow that I stopped reading it. I got through over half of it before stopping. It was too ful of information i just couldn't digust it all. I read the last few pages though.

banana

Mar 14, 2008 2:05 PM
I didn't think the novel was a hard read at all, it was a little short but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I'm looking forward to reading the second novel in the series as it's currently in the mail headed to me.

Mar 17, 2008 4:38 AM

I'm still waiting for first volume arriving to me from USA :( I ordered it by Japanese shop :P because it was cheaper than buying it on amazon or something, but I'm still waiting... (I heard there were some computers error in US and they had to repeat all orders).
:(

Jan 11, 2009 1:23 PM

I just finished reading the book and i gotta say I agree with DarkRose about it being too detailed, but nonetheless the book was awesome and can't wait to read the next one.

Dec 2, 2009 7:50 PM

I'm waiting on my copy now.