Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Jan 16, 2021 3:09 AM

Jun 2020
This episode actually helped clear a lot of things up
Mar 12, 2021 6:36 AM
Mar 2021
It was a nice recap episode and I like how Okazaki is talking to Ushio
Oct 31, 2021 2:57 PM

Feb 2020
Alright, I'll admit, this episode made me accept the ending a bit more. I still have very strong issues with it but at least, knowing Tomoya remembers everything makes it not as frustrating as it would've been otherwise.
Plus, this episode and the previous one reminded me that I actually really like Nagisa, the problem is that I felt like she lacked a personality in AS compared to the first season (mostly due to her having been reduced to simply being Tomoya's wife), but thanks to these episodes reminding me how she really is, I felt happier to know that she is alive in this world.
That still doesn't excuse anything though, but I'm willing to make an effort and half-forgive it. I'm not gonna lie, it's very touching. Though my favorite ending would have been for Nagisa to really die and for Ushio to really become ill, but for her to survive her strong fever episode and to live on, still fragile but protected by her family, with her father telling her stories just like he did in this episode. Now that would've been a great ending.

Okay now my full opinion on AfterStory... It's a bit hard to summarize it because I felt very different about each arc. Well, I guess I have no choice but to give my opinion about each arc then.
So, the Sunohara/Mei arc : I can't say I liked it. The premise was stupid, it was very mean-spirited, and the characters behaved a way you wouldn't except them too (especially Sunohara who has never been portrayed as being such a jerk, and actually just went back to our lovable delinquent after the end of his arc). I still liked the last episode because Tomoya's and Sunohara's friendship has always been one of my favorite things to come out of Clannad, but that's about it.

After this arc, there's Misae's. I have conflicted feelings about this one. I found it to be very touching and I got very attached to Shima, but it really felt weird to get a Misae arc (I didn't even remember her existence before this arc), and the story actually didn't make much sense, if it made any sense at all.
Then, the Yukina arc. I never cared about Yukine (though I understand more why she would get an arc compared to Misae), but this arc managed to make me care more, even if once it was done I went back to forgetting her anytime she wasn't on screen (which was 95% of the time). I liked the story and its conclusion.

Now, the arc with Nagisa getting sick and being unable to pass her exam as a result. It was the starting point of the real After Story, and I really liked it, Tomoya's character was very well developed and Nagisa proved to be stronger than she seems. The problem is that I never really felt Tomoya's and Nagisa's romance so i wasn't super invested, but still, it was good. The conclusion with everyone gathering for Nagisa at the school was very touching even if I found Nagid's speech to be a bit cheesy.

Then the arc with Tomoya and Nagisa living together which resulted in Ushio's birth. I liked it a lot, it was nice to see their relationship build up, and as always Tomoya's development was great (plus even if I complained about Nagisa's portrayal in AS this arc still truly highlighted her inner strength). The problem was the very fast pacing but aside from that, I really enjoyed it. And Ushio's birth was a particularly well written and emotional episode, I didn't cry both due to having been spoiled (spoilers are everywhere) and due to not caring enough about Nagisa but I almost did because of the great directing and above all because of Tomoya's reaction.

And now there's the Ushio arc. I LOVED it. It was so well written, so touching, so human, so... I can't even describe how I felt watching it. It was near-perfect.
That is until the last episode, I already complained much enough about it so I won't add more but I still want to say that it ruined a bit of my view of this arc and that's an absolute shame, it was doing so good. (The fact that I was craving for more episodes like these ones probably played a role in this disappointment.)

Now that everything is out, I can give my score, and that's gonna be an 8. That was the score I expected to give it for the longest time until I got to the Ushio arc where I started considering giving it a 9 instead (and that's not a score I give easily), but unfortunately episode 22 made it lose a point. It still was a great experience for sure.

Now I just have the Kyou OVA left and I'll be done with Clannad ! It feels a bit weird to think about it, I got very attached to these characters.
May 14, 2022 5:15 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
So yup I watched this recap, it was a nice recap, but I watched this in hopes of maybe perhaps Tomoya's narration would give us some explanation of what occurred exactly in the final episode, but all we got was "something happened".... ok then. Thanks!

Like to me it's still not clear what happened. They didn't just rewind time, because otherwise all the same events would've just happen again. But this time Nagisa and Ushio are without their illnesses. So amidst all the lights in the sky and the other world with the girl and the robot and all the supernatural sh*t, Tomoya was given a total redo in life with the rather substantial bonuses of his family not dying.

Like I don't mind the supernatural stuff. You can certainly make some great emotional stuff from it. But the problem is there are so many possibilities you can do when you go that route, and then it becomes less simple and becomes more unwieldy in a smooth execution.

Anyways, just some additional thoughts I had on the series that I forgot to cover in the Ep. 22 discussion thread which is the final episode. Sanae-san is an under-appreciated and goated character and I'm glad that she and Akio are not just gag characters but are characters with actual depth and each having their own real moments. Tomoya coming to terms with his father after realizing how much his father truly cares about him was touching- albeit Tomoya had to be quite ignorant for not acknowledging what his dad was doing for him all that time while he was young. Perhaps he was too young to understand...? But it didn't seem like it. Oh yeah, and they never went to the beach together, which was Tomoya's promise to Nagisa and the unborn Ushio. Honestly I thought the anime was going to end with Tomoya fulfilling his promise to Ushio and taking her to the beach, as they remember Nagisa, their wife and mother. But we got the ending that we got. I mean there was no other route to go but the supernatural one once Ushio gets sick, because surely they're not going to kill of her as well. Then again, they have been foreshadowing that there were greater unseen powers since the start of the show, so, yeah. What can you do about that I guess. I still would've liked to see anything else other than RESET, plus your loved ones don't die, for, reasons! Maybe it's because you became a good guy and you deserve it! Have some lights! Who are we? The city I guess? I don't know, I don't care!!!!! SCRiTP WrITING

Maybe it worked out better in the visual novel. I don't know exactly how interactive it is, but maybe it was that if you did enough good deeds during your play-through, you would have amassed enough LIGHT PARTICLES to grant you a reset and give you a happy ending. Idk, whatever, that's what we got in the anime, so nothing we can do now.

Just to be clear, this was on track to become my favourite anime, deadass. Once the story started at episode 9, I was continually moved. It felt so real. Episode 18 hit me like a freight train. And from there it continued its relentless barrage of punches to the gut. Easy 10/10, I've never been moved that much by a work of fiction before. Never. It's just... this ending. It doesn't ruin the rest of what was good before it, but at the same time it kind of does, idk man. Usually an ending I don't like is enough to knock down my score by several points. But in this case, what came before was just so good that I can't knock it down any further than 1. But I still have to dock the 1 for the ending which I personally felt really missed the mark. So yeah, 9/10, but a painful 9/10, because it was close to being a full 10.

Cya guys around. I'm going to look for more anime to emotionally destroy me. Maybe I'll finally watch that Maquia movie.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jun 14, 2022 9:46 AM

Aug 2013
Finally finish the Clannad journey after stopping it after those 2 OVA's when I was a teenager and now finally got the time to watch this as an adult, lots of lessons and message that can be pick up in this show and it was beautiful althou' the ending was kinda meh but f it dud this show was just beautiful.

NGL when I first heard the Dango song when I was a teenager I thought it was dumb but now I can't stop but smile when listening to it maybe because I can now finally understand the meaning of that song
b0177Jun 14, 2022 9:50 AM

English is my second language
Jul 12, 2022 3:48 AM

Jul 2021
Finally got to see the last 2 episodes. 22nd episode fried my fucking brain, had to take a 3 day break from watching anime itself. Now just 2 OVA's left.

This was a nice recap. The only non-boring recap I've ever seen in an anime.

10/10.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Sep 20, 2022 8:33 AM
Mar 2022
amazing show clannad after story on top
Sep 27, 2022 1:35 PM
Sep 2022
made me cry sad i am sad
Nov 4, 2022 7:25 PM

Feb 2009
What's the point of summarizing two seasons in one last episode?

Qual o sentido de fazer um resumão de duas temporadas em um último episódio?
Dec 27, 2022 6:22 AM

Oct 2020
This may have been just a recap, but it was a pretty descent one at that.
Overall a great show !
Mar 18, 2023 9:58 AM
Mar 2023
aww what a w ending
Mar 24, 2023 1:36 PM
Nov 2021
I will never feel complete after this.
Apr 9, 2023 9:05 PM
Oct 2019
loved it, one of the best shows I've ever seen.
May 7, 2023 9:08 PM

Aug 2014
It was a nice recap episode, but come on, why couldnt it have been a happy episode of EVERY CHARACTER together enjoying each other's company??!?!!!!! COME ON!!!!

As for Clannad overall, sometimes I really enjoy it when I decide to watch it, and other times I find myself really bored when I decide to watch it. It really is an anime that my enjoyment of it depends on my mood (for lack of a better term). 

Tomoya is a great MC to follow around. 

Nagisa can be really adorable while other times she can be really dull. 

I really like the small-city setting in Clannad.  

And the Clannad franchise still to this day has one of the greatest OST/background music ever. 

With all that said, all of Clannad made by Kyoto Animation (Season 1, After Story, Kyou episode, Tomoyo episode) is something that has historical value in the anime world. The Clannad franchise's is the one that is famous for making you cry/feel emotional (Clannad and Anohana).  

And because this anime has historical value in the anime world, the Clannad franchise must be seen completely by every anime fan, even if you didnt like the anime, so that you can form an opinion of it. 
oooo3333May 8, 2023 8:20 AM
May 23, 2023 1:53 PM
May 2023
All episodes of clannad are good :)
Jun 26, 2023 9:11 PM
May 2023

qua cam dong hay............................
Jul 8, 2023 6:18 PM

Jun 2021
Ufff...this anime....THIS ANIME IS NUTS!!!!! THE WAY WICH THIS MANIPULATE YOUR FEELINGS IS ABSOLUTELY SICK, 10/10 MASTERPIECE
Now next stage....PLAY THE VISUAL NOVEL im too excited, too hyperactive i need more clannad damnit (oh my budget don't reach it even with 50% discount :( HAHA THIS DOESN'T MATTER FOR ME, IT'LL BE OTHER DAY
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
Aug 8, 2023 6:31 PM
Sep 2020
Just a recap so nothing much to say really
Aug 13, 2023 11:16 PM
Nov 2015
Completed it long time ago! Just updating my list!
Sep 12, 2023 9:38 PM

Dec 2009
... I'd have to rewatch it again, although I want to play the visual novel one day.
I think Clannad is truly one of the best romcom to drama stories ever.
I'm not sure whether it deserves an 8 or a 9/10, if not arguably a perfect 10.

Notes from 2011:

Nov 8, 2023 7:43 AM
Nov 2023
one of the best ending outcomes even though many people didnt like it i thought that the ending was a great one
Nov 22, 2023 1:25 PM

Apr 2021
Nice summary! It was an incredible story for Ushio, she will carry it through with her life. 10/10
Feb 1, 9:40 AM
Dec 2022
Clannad after story is an anime series that continues the story of Tomoya Okazaki and Nagisa Furukawa, who have graduated from high school and started their life together. The anime depicts their joys and sorrows, their challenges and achievements, and their love and loss. It is a series that will make you laugh, cry, and feel deeply for the characters and their struggles.

Clannad after story is not just a romance or comedy anime. It is a series that explores the themes of life, death, and rebirth. It shows how Tomoya and Nagisa grow as individuals and as a couple, how they face the harsh realities of adulthood, and how they cope with the tragedies that befall them. It also reveals the mystery of the illusionary world, where a girl and a robot live in a lonely world that is slowly dying.

Clannad after story is an anime series that will touch your heart and soul. It is a masterpiece that combines beautiful animation, emotional music, and compelling story. It is an anime series that will leave you with a lasting impression and a message of hope and miracles.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

» Hopefully this isn't annoying

Ricdumb - Apr 10

3 by Ricdumb »»
Apr 20, 6:25 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

angel999 - Oct 23, 2008

319 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 14, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Davison - Oct 16, 2008

260 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 8, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kiseki - Oct 2, 2008

347 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 7, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

patient_senses - Mar 12, 2009

1168 by Chilicon_valley »»
Mar 10, 8:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.