Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 24, 2015 10:46 AM

Jul 2014
Hey, Indonesian student currently doing a Bachelor of Arts in Melbourne majoring in Psychology and Philosophy.
My main interest is in Philosophy of Mind & Ancient Greek Philosophy.
With slight interest in Logic and Language.

I've always liked reading manga since I was in secondary school so I've read a significant amount. I haven't watched much anime until recently.
I read and watch anything so feel free to give recommendation.

I just finished watching Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan (fun gory comedy) and the last manga I read was Saishuu Heiki Kanojo (Nice anti-war tragedy).
Jan 24, 2015 11:09 AM

Jan 2014
TheMadMohawk said:
Hey, Indonesian student currently doing a Bachelor of Arts in Melbourne majoring in Psychology and Philosophy.

I've always liked reading manga since I was in secondary school so I've read a significant amount. I haven't watched much anime until recently.

I just finished watching Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan (fun gory comedy) and the last manga I read was Saishuu Heiki Kanojo (Nice anti-war tragedy).

Hey, glad to have you! We'll probably be picking back up in a little bit, but feel free to start up your own discussions!
Feb 17, 2015 11:02 AM
Oct 2014
Hi, I'm mattyodavinci, but you can call me mattyo !
To tell the truth, it's anime and manga who introduced me to philosophy (and sociology, while we're at it), starting from Code Geass, the first anime I ever watched to , more recently, Evangelion, Mushishi, and so on...
I haven't read any real philosophy books and essays, but every now and then, I have philosophical discussions with people, and I'd be welcome to discuss it more frequently with you guys !
Mar 20, 2015 8:23 PM

Aug 2012
IommicDisciple said:

mattyodavinci said:
Hi, I'm mattyodavinci, but you can call me mattyo !
To tell the truth, it's anime and manga who introduced me to philosophy (and sociology, while we're at it), starting from Code Geass, the first anime I ever watched to , more recently, Evangelion, Mushishi, and so on...
I haven't read any real philosophy books and essays, but every now and then, I have philosophical discussions with people, and I'd be welcome to discuss it more frequently with you guys !

A very late welcome to you both! Enjoy yourself with this club and please watch/read the catalogue of content on our club relations' list. If you also have something you want to discuss, shoot it down in the comments section and I'm sure someone will strike up a conversation with you!
Mar 26, 2015 3:16 PM

Dec 2014
Hey. Just joined a little bit ago. To be honest I was scrolling through all the clubs and happened, by chance, upon this club. Was immediately intrigued.

Ummm...First anime I watched was Akira and was immediately hooked. However, I am just starting to seriously get back into anime. If you look at my anime list, you'll see that I focused mainly on ecchi/harem stuff (you know...the type of anime where you don't really have to think/fanservice). Don't get me wrong, I like fanservice, but now I'm trying to expand my anime watching. This looks like the right club to accomplish this. Just finished Un-Go and almost done with Ergo Proxy.
May 27, 2015 1:37 AM

Jan 2009
I hope at least one person here is still active. You all seem like very interesting people. I like Nihilistic Existentialism and Philosophy of Science, and Philosophy of Language. In terms of philosophers, it's Socrates, Descartes and Carl Sagan(yes, I consider him to be a philosopher). Lately, I've been watching Arslan Senki and thinking about military strategy. I also read Sun Tzu but the guy dictates military principles as if they were hard truths, kind of annoying. How am I suppose to battle aliens with this?!
BiddingGortonioMay 27, 2015 2:35 AM
Jul 7, 2015 6:15 AM
Sep 2011
IommicDisciple said:

lol such coincidence, I graduated from the same university. I was minoring in philosophy. Yeah. I started watching anime during undergraduate years. I am a postgraduate now and I still enjoy reading philosophy and watching anime.

Nice to meet you, and whoever is still active.
filthy casual anime watcher.
Jul 20, 2015 3:53 PM

Nov 2013
Hello everyone, have a good day today...
I have finish one of philosophical animes and
decided to join this club..
I hope I can get along with you all..
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Jul 20, 2015 8:52 PM

Aug 2012
Welcome everyone that has introduced themselves! I apologize for not being more active with the club (IRL stuff like finding a career, etc.) but I wish everyone the best who has joined the club. I hope we can all get along.

All the best,

-Lithic
Jul 21, 2015 3:18 AM

Oct 2008
Hi!

I'm a spanish Library and Information Sciences student and next year I'll probably major in Publishing. I don't really watch anime but I love reading manga. Now I'm reading Hana to Akuma, wich is not philosophycal but it's really funny.

Nice to meet you all!
If it has solution, don't bother; and if it hasn't, why bothering?

Do you like manga? http://gunjoteam.com
Jul 21, 2015 5:55 AM

Aug 2013
Hello everyone.

Since people are introducing themselves, I tought I might as well do the same (though I am part of the club from quite some time; I just didn't participate).

Like many here, I'm just an ordinary student. My tastes in anime and manga are classical (NGE, GitS, Cowboy Bebop,Akira, Gintama, KnT...), and I am currently watching Boogiepop Phantom (I would love to give a shot at the novels, but probably won't since Seven Seas never did the effort of translating them completely).

As for the rest, I don't read nearly as much as I should, but am currently deciphering (that's the term) the Zarathoustra of Nietzsche).

Hope we can get along ^^.
"Even now, I travel on my journey,
Believing in the world,
Aiming for something far away – an endless journey.
Having a dream like someone else’s,
Or being in someone else’s dream –
Which would you prefer?"
Aug 19, 2015 10:54 PM

Jun 2011
Hello, all.

I am a young woman in college; a poet and lover of fine arts. I dabble in abstract art, though I dare not call myself a painter. I am an animation enthusiast, and my love of animation ranges far past anime, though anime is the animation form I have the most favorites in. I consider myself to be a gamer, and enjoy both mainstream and indie games. I am also a Fanfiction writer and am a huge Visual Kei fan.

I recently finished Kill la Kill and The Adolescence of Utena. I am currently reading a manga called Pieta.

Greetings to you all.
Sep 5, 2015 6:45 AM

Jul 2014
telerabies said:
IommicDisciple said:

lol such coincidence, I graduated from the same university. I was minoring in philosophy. Yeah. I started watching anime during undergraduate years. I am a postgraduate now and I still enjoy reading philosophy and watching anime.

Nice to meet you, and whoever is still active.

Lol, I didn't realise that you've responded to this until now.
I was wondering what was the odds of someone from Melbourne adding me as a friend.
but hey, nice to meet you too.

Oh and just to clear things up I'm from Monash not Melbourne University, I just realised that I wrote it a bit weird in the original post.
Apr 17, 2016 4:00 AM

Jan 2016
Hi everyone,

I started join MAL this year. Currently still studying. Started liking anime since 2014. My first favorite genre is psychological. I found this site through @mr47336 from question asked by @SpottedChorophy in ‘reddit’ about ‘Metaphysical or philosophical anime?’ and I’m very thankful to him and SpottedChorophy for that as I still searching for more psychological / philosophical anime. Anyone can read my Profile for details. Still don’t know what to explain about me.

My favorite anime are Attack on Titan and Psycho-Pass.
Just finished Mushishi and Immediately in my ‘forever-list’.
Favorite philosophical anime are Kino’s Journey and Casshern Sins.

I see this club can be quiet sometimes, just like me…☺ That’s why I’m looking for more anime friends outside the country. It can be quite interesting (at least for me although I’m not very talkative and extrovert)

Looking forward to get to know more about this club as my first club since I joined MAL…☺….

and I wish everyone a beautiful and happy day!!
Aug 2, 2016 2:29 PM

Sep 2014
Hi! I am a Spanish girl who willl be on her last hight school year soon. I've been interested in philosophy and psychology since I was a child though I didn't specifically look for philosophical or psychological content until I read Fate/stay night VN some years ago. The VN and the anime series had a great impact in my life and since I finished them I have find out things like Shinsekai yori, Mawaru Penguindrum, Oregairu, Kara no Kyoukai, Mushishi... I think all of them have made me watch the world in more depth.
Recently I watched Serial Experiment Lain though I admit that I expected more, I liked it. Personally I like stories where the characters are constantly interacting with each other and where each character has its own unique personality. That's why I love Fate/stay night and its philosophical discussions. Also, I'm reading When Nietzsche Wept.

I don't use MAL too much but have been in this club for a while and I wanted to be able to comment in its interesting threads so nice to meet you!

(Sorry if my English is bad)
Aug 6, 2016 1:00 PM
Jul 2018
Hi there!
I am a lawyer and an architecture student from Brazil and I love watching anime, but I don´t read any manga.
I first started watching when I was 14 years old with Neon Genesis Evangelion and I can say for sure that I couldn't have chosen better. I'm 31 years old now by the way and I'm currently watching Mushishi, which is beautiful, Monster (great) and Fairy Tail (:D).
Nice to meet you!! ;)
Jan 16, 2017 7:16 PM

Sep 2016
Hi, I am 21 and from India pursuing Mathematics. It has been 2 years since I have been watching anime. Philosophically speaking(and otherwise too), some of my favourite anime that I could think of are Psycho Pass, Subette ga F ni naru - The perfect insider(I see that this anime is not in the anime relations of this group and I highly recommend this one) and Another. Hoping to have some fun philosophical discussions!
Feb 19, 2017 6:30 PM
Jan 2011
Sup guys, I'm a Brazilian and currently on the last year of high school, even though I dropped it and came back only recently. Usually I prefer some thought provoking stuff on my anime, but not necessarily philosophical stuff, like in the themes and messages of anime such as Uchouten Kazoku, Tatami Galaxy, or Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, my favorite from last year, which I highly recommend to anyone who haven't watched it yet. There's no actual philosophy in it but it's the human struggle and the character progression on this anime that truly makes it remarkable to me. Also, considering this's a love letter to a dying form of art, I think the staff did a pretty good job on making the rakugo presentations one of the best part of watching this series.
This club isn't very active and I'm not expecting it to be anymore in the future, so if you're reading this I hope you have good luck on finding some anime to watch xD
Mar 14, 2017 11:49 PM

Dec 2009
East-coast US resident hoping that this group still has active members. Looking for anime that isn't pseudo-intellectual which unfortunately seems to be the trend. Too many shows and characters seem to spew out nonsensical deepities that may sound clever to the average viewer but come off as meaningless. I guess I've been spoiled by TNG and a few other western works lol
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Feb 19, 2018 4:47 AM

Feb 2018
Hi, I'm new on MAL. I wanted to join this group to discuss about philosphy and lolis.

I hope there are users alive here, last activity is from 2017.
“Today it is bad, and day by day it will get worse―until at last the worst of all arrives.” - Schopenhauer
Jun 27, 2020 5:30 PM
Jun 2019
Hi, I'm doing Maths and Philosophy at uni.

I came here to see if I could spark some discussion about 'trapped in a computer game' animes. (Sad that this club seems dead.)

Essentially, all I want to say is in David Chalmers' paper 'Matrix as Metaphysics' ( http://consc.net/papers/matrix.html ).

One anime I want to bring to your attention, Log Horizon. (Old, but season three coming apparently.) It is, some may say, more of a isekai tensei story. But, all in all, a near perfect thought experiment. Some gamers wake up in a world much like the online game they were playing. Regardless of the main plot, there is some interesting metaphysics going on. 'Adventurers', i.e. former gamers, do not die, where as people considered to be NPCs do. The explanation the author gives is, in brief, Cartesian Dualism. Adventurers' souls are stored somewhere and their bodies are reconstructed with the souls 'reinstalled'. Whereas NPCs, though their bodies can be restored in the same way, cannot revive as their souls are lost. It basically show cases how Cartesian Dualists can solve the interaction problem. What's particularly good about this case is that Dualism is falsifiable in the game world.
In a sense, this two world view (real world, game/matrix world) is just deferring problems, but seems all the more interesting to me.

Please say something if you read this and find philosophy of mind or metaphysics interesting. My writing is probably unclear, please do make me clarify as well.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Philosophical Quote Debate #2: Max Stirner

GonzoLewd - Dec 15, 2013

1 by Neostorm-X »»
Jun 27, 2022 11:01 AM

» Club Relations ( 1 2 )

Danish - Apr 12, 2009

69 by missbellerophon »»
Aug 2, 2016 3:02 PM

» THE COVER PHOTO

PsychoX - May 3, 2016

0 by PsychoX »»
May 3, 2016 4:34 AM

» To the Bookshelf: Post Your Latest Texts

PleiadesRising - Sep 25, 2012

10 by removed-user »»
Jul 6, 2015 4:16 PM

» Films

Danish - Feb 1, 2011

12 by Kuandohan »»
Jun 1, 2015 4:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.