Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 26, 2014 7:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Mm, pretty calm episode on most parts for the first half. I'm pretty sure Mayuka has a thing for Aoba. Dat reminiscing of memories.

Looks like they did the coupling right again this time. I'm curious about this Fiona girl though. I think she might be a major character and knows Dio quite well.
Jan 26, 2014 8:21 AM

Nov 2007
No OP. The enemy is thinking Hina is being a betrayer. Everything he knows is gone, except for the school.

His decision to stay. That ship is from Dio's hometown? The family is safe, but the father is strict, it seems.
tsubasaloverJan 27, 2014 8:08 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 26, 2014 9:32 AM

Sep 2011
tsubasalover said:
No OP. Enemy thinking Hina is being betrayal. Everything he knows is gone, except for the school.

His decision to stay. That ship is from Dio's hometown? The family is safe, but the father is strict, it seems.

"Enemy thinking Hina is being betrayal"

Dat grammar. Did you use Google Translate to write the comment or something?

Also, GRRR I want to watch this.

Episode overview:

Ok. I am not sure how to put this... But are most mecha shows like this? Not that it's bad but I am noting a few trends:

Peace time music sounds very cheerful. Aoba goes on a date-like event with Mayuka, and around his school. His lil sister probably isn't alive at this point, also.

Second, the portrayal of the enemies/allies. Portraying the Zogillia's forces so obviously bad. I'm not too sure how to describe it, but the commander of the opposing forces in this ep for example, had a menacing and nazi-like feeling to him, as well as having his foces named the 666th force. While the allies have a lax and easy going captain that isn't drilled with rules.

Secondly, the cast of the main protagonists are all very friendly, where as the enemies are portrayed as zombie-like soldiers shouting "ALL HEIL ZOGILLIA!" or "Death to enemies!"

Is this what people called conventional?

Now the Fiona little sister and the father adds an interesting topic... But the dad, does he have to look like every other dad in Anime? God... Dio reminds me of so many other protagonists with his situation.

Well, at least there are secondary protagonists.
GodlyKyonJan 26, 2014 1:34 PM
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jan 26, 2014 7:59 PM
Dec 2013
GodlyKyon said:
tsubasalover said:
No OP. Enemy thinking Hina is being betrayal. Everything he knows is gone, except for the school.

Episode overview:

Ok. I am not sure how to put this... But are most mecha shows like this? Not that it's bad but I am noting a few trends:

Peace time music sounds very cheerful. Aoba goes on a date-like event with Mayuka, and around his school. His lil sister probably isn't alive at this point, also.

Second, the portrayal of the enemies/allies. Portraying the Zogillia's forces so obviously bad. I'm not too sure how to describe it, but the commander of the opposing forces in this ep for example, had a menacing and nazi-like feeling to him, as well as having his foces named the 666th force. While the allies have a lax and easy going captain that isn't drilled with rules.

Secondly, the cast of the main protagonists are all very friendly, where as the enemies are portrayed as zombie-like soldiers shouting "ALL HEIL ZOGILLIA!" or "Death to enemies!"

Now the Fiona little sister and the father adds an interesting topic... But the dad, does he have to look like every other dad in Anime? God... Dio reminds me of so many other protagonists with his situation.

A number of mecha shows are indeed like that. It's part of the reason why this show's been getting so much flak from viewers- they feel that it's nothing worth talking about. While it is largely clichéd, I personally think execution of this show is decent, and the use of time travel puts a nice spin on things.
Jan 27, 2014 9:53 AM

Mar 2012
Lol at this current thread turning into commentary on someone's English skills when it's obvious that English isn't everyone's first language.

This was a decent episode that focused more on character development than all else.

Two major things of note for me:
1. The missing OP. Usually series starts to cut out OPs toward the end of the season or at the end of an arc, but this episode actually cut out its OP despite 1) this being very early into the season and 2) this not being some ending to any arc. This means that Sunrise actually has far more content to cover than anticipated and it could be a good thing if they don't mess up the pacing.
2. Aoba's sister. Note that Mayuka looked for Watase Tsubasa when she was trying to find Aoba's sister. We all know that women tend to take on their husband's last name, and I imagine this is overwhelmingly the case in Japan, which means Tsubasa might still be alive under a different name -- potential as a plot twist later on when her identity is revealed.

Meanwhile, Aoba still hasn't figured out that the Hina he's met on the battlefield isn't the Hina that saved him. What a denseball.
Jan 27, 2014 10:46 AM

Dec 2012
Thread cleaned
Off-topic comments about proper usage of English removed.

I'm sorry guys but please focus on this week's episode.
Jan 27, 2014 2:02 PM

May 2013
Seems like Aoba has lost everything =/

Nice battle at the end of the episode, I can´t get enough of this coupling system >_>

Dio a part of the royal family? It looks like he has a dark past, we´ll see in next episode =)

Fuckin´ love the ED theme <3
Jan 27, 2014 2:23 PM

Jun 2009
Mayuka is so cute. She's not going to die soon, right?
Jan 27, 2014 2:36 PM

Jan 2014
where can i watch episode 4 with english sub?
Jan 27, 2014 3:19 PM

Sep 2011
ThangLong said:
Thread cleaned
Off-topic comments about proper usage of English removed.

I'm sorry guys but please focus on this week's episode.

Sure! All heil zogillia!

I can't believe I missed all those comments...

helenobell said:
GodlyKyon said:
tsubasalover said:

Episode overview:

A number of mecha shows are indeed like that. It's part of the reason why this show's been getting so much flak from viewers- they feel that it's nothing worth talking about. While it is largely clichéd, I personally think execution of this show is decent, and the use of time travel puts a nice spin on things.

Yeah... IF that's the case then this is no different from all those TLR clones, or rather, harem series.

But so far, I'm not too bored with the series. Sure it's not anything exciting, but at least the show is well done enough to pass my time.
Jan 27, 2014 3:31 PM

May 2010
anyone noticed?

"In order for a coupling to be successful, both pilots must be able to merge their consciousness.

For that to happen, they must completely trust and accept each other."

but in episode 2 Dio just said " im going to be coupling with you. Just do as i say! "

looks like they change the coupling "rules/requierment" to their convenience whenever they want it.

that aside it was a good episode.
Jan 27, 2014 3:44 PM

Sep 2011
Kerozinn said:
anyone noticed?

"In order for a coupling to be successful, both pilots must be able to merge their consciousness.

but in episode 2 Dio just said " im going to be coupling with you. Just do as i say! "

looks like they change the coupling "rules/requierment" to their convenience whenever they want it.

Err... Maybe it wasn't 100% successful? Or just that Aoba unilaterally trusted Dio?
Jan 27, 2014 3:46 PM
Dec 2013
Kerozinn said:
anyone noticed?

I don't really see the contradiction. To just do as [Dio] say(s)" would require trust and acceptance, right? And Aoba was in the middle of a very sticky situation back then- he had no choice but to trust Dio's words. Besides it's already been established that Aoba is a very trusting person, and that Dio isn't.
Jan 27, 2014 4:05 PM

Sep 2011
Well, IDK where this is going, but this is going to probably be a closed loop time line so don't expect anything Steins;Gate level here

Also, what were people saying about the comments??
Jan 27, 2014 4:27 PM

May 2013
Suck's for Aoba not to see his family, although it is 70 years in the future. Dio and his father not getting along so well? Hope to get some history with Dio's family.
Jan 27, 2014 4:44 PM
Jul 2018
It was too bad that Aoba had lost his family after 70 years into the future.

Mayuka was quite cute.

Dio and his father doesn't seem to get along very well.
Jan 27, 2014 4:47 PM

Jan 2009
1. Not knowing why Hina is the enemy really keeps me watching as well as the battles

2. Got a feeling that Aoba & Dio are somehow related after seeing Dio's family

7/10
billybob300cJan 27, 2014 5:25 PM
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Jan 27, 2014 4:48 PM

Mar 2010
zannet_t said:
Lol at this current thread turning into commentary on someone's English skills when it's obvious that English isn't everyone's first language.

This was a decent episode that focused more on character development than all else.

Two major things of note for me:
1. The missing OP. Usually series starts to cut out OPs toward the end of the season or at the end of an arc, but this episode actually cut out its OP despite 1) this being very early into the season and 2) this not being some ending to any arc. This means that Sunrise actually has far more content to cover than anticipated and it could be a good thing if they don't mess up the pacing.
2. Aoba's sister. Note that Mayuka looked for Watase Tsubasa when she was trying to find Aoba's sister. We all know that women tend to take on their husband's last name, and I imagine this is overwhelmingly the case in Japan, which means Tsubasa might still be alive under a different name -- potential as a plot twist later on when her identity is revealed.

Meanwhile, Aoba still hasn't figured out that the Hina he's met on the battlefield isn't the Hina that saved him. What a denseball.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Aoba is related to Dio. Dio's father and Aoba both have brown hair and Fiora's eyes are green.
Jan 27, 2014 4:49 PM

Sep 2011
billybob300c said:
1. Not knowing why Hina is the enemy really keeps me watching as well as the battles

2. Got a feeling that Aoba & Dio are the same person after seeing Dio's family

7/10
What? How can they possibly be the same person??
Jan 27, 2014 4:54 PM

Feb 2008
So all it took to restore Dio's trust in Aoba was one stupid lil speech? Seems a bit to easy.

And of course Aoba's family is unfindable, if they were, they could actually reveal if he makes it back to the past.
Jan 27, 2014 6:01 PM

Oct 2011
Aoba's family and friends are dead. His house gone but now he wants to protect everyone here. Plus meet Hina face to face to find the truth!!!

GodlyKyon said:
billybob300c said:

7/10

Same here. Dio being Aoba's great great great....grandson or his sister's child. My first thought was that Dio being a clone of Aoba. But i'd go with my other theory.
Jan 27, 2014 6:05 PM
Jul 2012
mugiwara84 said:
So all it took to restore Dio's trust in Aoba was one stupid lil speech? Seems a bit to easy.

And of course Aoba's family is unfindable, if they were, they could actually reveal if he makes it back to the past.

Knowing Dio, he probably was thinking of the more pressing matter at hand- the fact that his family's ship was being attack- and realized that doubting Aoba in battle would benefit nobody. I wouldn't be surprised is Dio continues to be skeptical of Aoba's story off battle.
He's proud, stubborn and a rather distrusting- but Dio's a soldier. He knows how to be practical when it really counts.
Jan 27, 2014 6:08 PM

Sep 2011
AnimeFan500 said:
Aoba's family and friends are dead. His house gone but now he wants to protect everyone here. Plus meet Hina face to face to find the truth!!!

GodlyKyon said:
billybob300c said:

7/10

Same here. Dio being Aoba's great great great....grandson or his sister's child. My first thought was that Dio being a clone of Aoba. But i'd go with my other theory.

I doubt it... He may be the great greate grandpa or something like that... But having a clone just so you can do coupling seems rather elaborate to involve time travel.
Jan 27, 2014 6:24 PM

Apr 2009
Kerozinn said:
anyone noticed?

the translation is kind of erratic by adding the adverb "completely" as i did not hear anything equivalent in the audio.. all they need is to trust each other and accept the coupling and it doesn't have to be on a deep friendship level.. what's more important about what the professor said is the one after that, where emotion is the main problem.. in the previous episodes, though they did not completely trust each other, they still have a sense of unity in trying to survive, defeat the enemies or follow the orders given to them.. this time, though, while they are also concerned with that, Dio is distracted by his remorse towards Aoba for force decoupling with him from the previous episode, effectively hurting him in the process..
Jan 27, 2014 6:25 PM

Jul 2009
LOL
dio sure changes his mind quickly
that pink girl single handedly salvaged this episode. i so wanna drop this show though lol. something tells me the hina plot wont be that great anyway but i still want to know what happens.
Jan 27, 2014 6:54 PM
Jul 2013
The ending was the best.

Die: http://i44.tinypic.com/dqg16v.jpg
Jan 27, 2014 7:10 PM

Jul 2013
I do not mind Mayuka but Hina is still the best!

I doubt this will have a conclusive ending...
Jan 27, 2014 7:10 PM

Aug 2013
*coupling fails*
Commander: "they're still not getting along?!"

Oh, that actually surprised you? lmao.

That theory that Dio might be related to Aoba's sister is possible. At first I thought it was weird that it was his sister he looked for and not his parents but then it also made sense it'll be her he'll look for since she's still most likely alive. But I just can't shake the feeling that him saying his sister's name (was it ever mentioned in the previous episodes that he had a sister?) was intended and his sister's going to play a huge part later on. You know like when the twist happens and we're all like "WHERE THE HECK DID THAT COME FROM?!", the scriptwriter's going to be like "uh but we did kind of foreshadow it in episode 4 you know."

Just a thought :D
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 27, 2014 7:24 PM

Oct 2011
xchee said:
*coupling fails*
Commander: "they're still not getting along?!"

Oh, that actually surprised you? lmao.

That theory that Dio might be related to Aoba's sister is possible. At first I thought it was weird that it was his sister he looked for and not his parents but then it also made sense it'll be her he'll look for since she's still most likely alive. But I just can't shake the feeling that him saying his sister's name (was it ever mentioned in the previous episodes that he had a sister?) was intended and his sister's going to play a huge part later on. You know like when the twist happens and we're all like "WHERE THE HECK DID THAT COME FROM?!", the scriptwriter's going to be like "uh but we did kind of foreshadow it in episode 4 you know."

Just a thought :D

Aoba's sister was seen in episode 1. When he left his house. She was eating breakfast.
Jan 27, 2014 7:26 PM

Jun 2012
dokidokidoing said:
mugiwara84 said:

Knowing Dio, he probably was thinking of the more pressing matter at hand- the fact that his family's ship was being attack- and realized that doubting Aoba in battle would benefit nobody. I wouldn't be surprised is Dio continues to be skeptical of Aoba's story off battle.
He's proud, stubborn and a rather distrusting- but Dio's a soldier. He knows how to be practical when it really counts.
I'm surprised too he could do it so easily. He did get forcibly decoupled after all, and it seemed to be quite a big hit on him. But I guess your explanation does make sense; he's a soldier afterall. I think Aoba needed a harsher scolding than that though. We get it that he saved the ship, but it doesn't dismiss the fact that he decoupled. I'm afraid he's going to do something stupid again.

Hina did say that Dio was waiting for him too, that with him being a very trusting person like you said, pretty sure he was 1000% trusting Dio.
TynkerJan 27, 2014 7:31 PM
Jan 27, 2014 7:52 PM

Jul 2009
This is a bit too one-dimensional. I mean Aoba is able to kill people so easily. He hasn't even shown regret at killing people. And Dio is an annoying prick.
Jan 27, 2014 8:15 PM
Jun 2013
Pretty good episode -- half was pretty chitter chatter where we learn a bit more about the present at hand and the 2nd half was action packed.
The fighting was pretty cool with fitting ost. It sent subtle chills through my body.
I definitely want to know more about Dio's family, I got a hunch about something...
This episode generated more questions than answers, that's for sure.
Jan 27, 2014 8:30 PM

Feb 2012
Dio's dad Aobas son? or Aobas sister son? might make some sense to why they can link up
Jan 27, 2014 8:33 PM

Jul 2013
Eh a little back story, with a calm atmosphere for the 1st half wouldn't hurt. But 70 years ago..... things have change quite a lot for Aoba.

Now, Mayuka is getting along with Aoba huh, but he still have doubts about Hina.

Great teamwork for rescuing Dio's family, despite their problems of their trust, only to be short live when his father butts in.

Jan 27, 2014 8:34 PM
Dec 2013
Inugirlz said:
This is a bit too one-dimensional. I mean Aoba is able to kill people so easily. He hasn't even shown regret at killing people. And Dio is an annoying prick.

Yes, that bothered me, too. But the show's only 12 episodes long and (if what I've read is true) its target audience is younger that that of Sunrise's other shows. With the war and the time-travel shenanigans going on, I don't know how much room they have to deal with moral dilemmas (which isn't the kind of thing you can resolve very quickly). My guess is that they're not going to focus too much on that, for the sake of plot and other aspects of Aoba and the rest of the cast's characterization.
Jan 27, 2014 9:24 PM

Mar 2012
LostArc said:
zannet_t said:
Tagged to reduce length of post.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Aoba is related to Dio. Dio's father and Aoba both have brown hair and Fiora's eyes are green.

It is absolutely possible that Aoba is related to Dio. Like I said, there's a potential for Aoba's sister popping up later as a plot twist. And Aoba's sister would be about the age of someone's grandmother right now. She could very well have married into the Weinberg family (which would explain why "Watase Tsubasa" returned no result) and become Dio's grandmother.
Jan 27, 2014 9:28 PM

Nov 2013
I can feel this series being rushed :(
Jan 27, 2014 9:33 PM

Jul 2013
Inugirlz said:

Dio is badass.
Over the Aoba thing, he was more focused on helping Dio´s family and making up for the mistake he made last chapter. At least, that´s what it seemed to me.
Jan 27, 2014 10:43 PM

May 2012
Inugirlz said:

Aoba has nothing left to protect other than the people on Cygnus ship. It's also a kill-or-die-together situation. So he got through the psychological barrier. I thought they made it very clear already.

Such a great episode to tie things up, this also means that Aoba cannot possibly return to the past due to the war. He can't peacefully live either. I fear the ending would be a problem later since Hina will definitely be forced to go into the past from the future.

Maybe Aoba won't end up with Hina after all.

I have a feeling Weinberg family is related to Aoba through his sister, she might be the paternal grandmother of Dio Weinberg.
Jan 28, 2014 12:15 AM

Jul 2012
Eh, a pretty bland episode. Moar Hina to create more angst is needed.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Jan 28, 2014 12:56 AM

Aug 2008
Pretty decent. Except, I don't mind killing, I actually love it. Specially here, where we have a war going on. But, MC doesn't even flinch an eye when he kills all those of the enemy side.

That to me makes him seem robotic and bland. He's supposed to be a civilian, a regular HS boy who's never held a weapon before. I want some more emotion out of him, not necessarily him crying or being agonized by guilt over his actions and the stuff happening around him, since I hate that, but at least showing an emotion of what he's doing.

Also, I may be pointing this out late, but I didn't like how Hina magically disappeared when she was traveling with him through the wormhole. I've never like that take on time travel. I prefer the type of time travel that was shown on the reboot of Startreck.
Jan 28, 2014 1:28 AM

Oct 2013
It's probably different in terms of killing when you see the person or not. if the pilots are in their mecha, the whole mecha got exploded, you wouldn't be seeing their actual death. Comparing to stabbing someone with a knife and seeing that physical person in front of you.

I think Aoba's more of helping Dio in a way. And LOL at Dio papa, definitely his papa. Dio needs to open up more to Aoba. Hopefully through his family.

I like this anime.
Jan 28, 2014 1:33 AM

Jun 2009
sentience said:
I have a feeling Weinberg family is related to Aoba through his sister, she might be the paternal grandmother of Dio Weinberg.

That is what I think too.
---
ChibiSamuraiTV | My YT Channel | www.youtube.com/user/chibisamuraitv
Jan 28, 2014 1:38 AM

Mar 2013
just my opinion.. Aoba's grandson is Dio?
Jan 28, 2014 2:01 AM

Jul 2012
Meh, episode was o.k.. Only 8 more episodes, so they are probably going to rush this. Dio is an annoying prick.
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 6700K@4.0 GHz, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, RTX 2080, G. Skill RipJaws V 3200MHz 16GB,
Noctua NH-D15, CorsairRM 850x, Win10x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Jan 28, 2014 2:08 AM
Nov 2009
Lol Dio's sister reminded me of Nunnally from CG just from the looks and wheelchair.

Good episode though I'm looking forward to more of it. 4/5
Jan 28, 2014 2:28 AM

Mar 2013
Okay episode, but they made Dio agree way to quick
Jan 28, 2014 3:05 AM
Mar 2013
This is my theory

I think Aoba's sister was mother of Dio's father. This will explain why Aoba can Coupling with Dio.
Mayuka can't find Aoba's sister ( Watase Tsubasa ) because she married and change her last name.

I hope this anime doesn't get rush ending.
astranabeatJan 28, 2014 3:11 AM
Jan 28, 2014 4:50 AM

Apr 2012
wouldnt it be good if his little sister was dios grandmother
Jan 28, 2014 7:49 AM

Aug 2010
Well not much action but good to see Aoba starting to accept his fate a bit more.
We won't know until he meets Hina again though -.-

He actually got of pretty easily, just with one punch. I expected him to get chewed on by the crew. Pretty easy going I see ^^;

Dio seems to have family problems. Well his imouto is cute so that's another bonus. I wonder if she'll play a bigger role?...I also agree with the theory that Dio's imouto is a grand daughter of...maybe Aoba's sister? Well, that would be a nice twist, Aoba being Dio's ancestor lol XD

That would explain why he looked at Dio's little sis like he saw her before.
Barion-ZaraJan 28, 2014 8:30 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2013

218 by aleinam »»
Mar 8, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2014

199 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 7, 2023 5:45 PM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2014

153 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 6, 2023 8:13 PM

» Why does this feel like it should have been longer? (Potential spoilers)

Damolisher - Nov 1, 2021

2 by Damolisher »»
Nov 9, 2021 12:09 AM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2014

78 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Feb 13, 2021 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.