Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 28, 2014 8:33 AM

Jun 2013
mugiwara84 said:
So all it took to restore Dio's trust in Aoba was one stupid lil speech? Seems a bit to easy.

And of course Aoba's family is unfindable, if they were, they could actually reveal if he makes it back to the past.

"Trust him" or his paralysed little imouto will have to swim ?
"Children of Japan. And those who were once children. Listen! This is not a dream. This is not fiction. In reality, your superheroes were always fighting. To teach viewers courage and the meaning of justice! No matter how many enemies there are. No matter how strong evil is. Just remember. Does any another country have so many heroes? Has any another country been protected by multiple superheroes? Stand with me, friends! Remember when you used to watch your superheroes!
Once you may have given up this dream. But today, you can be a hero!"

- Kaname Jouji , Red Axe

Jan 28, 2014 8:59 AM

Feb 2008
dokidokidoing said:
mugiwara84 said:
So all it took to restore Dio's trust in Aoba was one stupid lil speech? Seems a bit to easy.

And of course Aoba's family is unfindable, if they were, they could actually reveal if he makes it back to the past.

Knowing Dio, he probably was thinking of the more pressing matter at hand- the fact that his family's ship was being attack- and realized that doubting Aoba in battle would benefit nobody. I wouldn't be surprised is Dio continues to be skeptical of Aoba's story off battle.
He's proud, stubborn and a rather distrusting- but Dio's a soldier. He knows how to be practical when it really counts.

I get that he's practical, we all would just role with it and take our chances and go supersaiyan if we had the chance and our family's in danger, soldier or not. But it was said only a few moments prior that coupling can only be done between two people who completely trust each other. Feelings of doubt and betrayal shouldn't be that easy to cast away, just cause you want to be practicable. So just my five cents, but even if he consciously wanted to couple, his subconscious should've at least have some doubts making the coupling impossible.

But you know, I don't find it a big point to complain about. Just found it a bit funny that it was that easy.

dokidokidoing said:

I wouldn't be surprised is Dio continues to be skeptical of Aoba's story off battle.

See, this shouldn't be possible. Cause if he was still skeptic, it means he didn't completely trust him, making the coupling impossible.

So yeah, I definitly agree with what Kerozinn said.

Kerozinn said:

looks like they change the coupling "rules/requierment" to their convenience whenever they want it.
Jan 28, 2014 9:06 AM

May 2012
Dat Nunnally comeback.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jan 28, 2014 10:26 AM
Feb 2009
lol man i need more hina
Jan 28, 2014 11:26 AM

Feb 2013
heiqi1hu said:
It's probably different in terms of killing when you see the person or not. if the pilots are in their mecha, the whole mecha got exploded, you wouldn't be seeing their actual death. Comparing to stabbing someone with a knife and seeing that physical person in front of you.

Exactly, like in Eureka Seven, Renton was fine with combat until he went berserk and trampled the enemy mecha to the point the corpse of an enemy was revealed.

Anyway, the best thing about the show so far is that it got to the 4th episode without singing and dancing! I'm looking at you valvrape...
Jan 28, 2014 11:55 AM
Jan 2014
Solid episode.

One thing though, I thought that Mayuka is supposed to be quite strong physically because last episode I remember someone mentioned that Mayuka is good at martial arts/self defense.
Jan 28, 2014 1:26 PM
Dec 2013
mugiwara84 said:
dokidokidoing said:
mugiwara84 said:

Knowing Dio, he probably was thinking of the more pressing matter at hand- the fact that his family's ship was being attack- and realized that doubting Aoba in battle would benefit nobody. I wouldn't be surprised is Dio continues to be skeptical of Aoba's story off battle.
He's proud, stubborn and a rather distrusting- but Dio's a soldier. He knows how to be practical when it really counts.

I get that he's practical, we all would just role with it and take our chances and go supersaiyan if we had the chance and our family's in danger, soldier or not. But it was said only a few moments prior that coupling can only be done between two people who completely trust each other. Feelings of doubt and betrayal shouldn't be that easy to cast away, just cause you want to be practicable. So just my five cents, but even if he consciously wanted to couple, his subconscious should've at least have some doubts making the coupling impossible.

But you know, I don't find it a big point to complain about. Just found it a bit funny that it was that easy.

dokidokidoing said:

I wouldn't be surprised is Dio continues to be skeptical of Aoba's story off battle.

See, this shouldn't be possible. Cause if he was still skeptic, it means he didn't completely trust him, making the coupling impossible.

So yeah, I definitly agree with what Kerozinn said.

Kerozinn said:

looks like they change the coupling "rules/requierment" to their convenience whenever they want it.

Could be what what someone said ealier in this thread- there was no indication of complete trust and acceptance in the dialogue itself- that was just something added by the subtitles. So the show didn't contradict itself, the subtitles did by adding a sense of totality to the whole thibg.
Jan 28, 2014 2:17 PM

Apr 2013
Good episode. Looks like Dio doesn't get along with his father. And still no one believes that Aoba is from the past -_-
Jan 28, 2014 6:28 PM

Dec 2012
Inugirlz said:
This is a bit too one-dimensional. I mean Aoba is able to kill people so easily. He hasn't even shown regret at killing people. And Dio is an annoying prick.

I do agree that its not very realistic though, Aoba might at least react or have a thought that he is ACTUALLY killing people because so far he doesn't seem to be aware of what he is doing.

Nevertheless, if they make a big deal out of this moral dilemma won't even more people start complaining about this show being even more cliched, lol?
Jan 29, 2014 12:06 AM
Sep 2013
I hope this Dio doesn't turn out to be a typical grumpy, moody, tsundere for the entire show.

What country kills someone for not wanting to be soldier anyways? If they're that desperate, then just draft him.

And that Mayuka girl, seems the entire point of her is so the virgin hunters can have waifu to waifu battles. You need a 3rd girl in every anime now it seems.

mugiwara84 said:

Seems you completely missed the point. Its not that Dio completely trust him, its that he HAS to trust him, at least for this battle. If you don't know what I mean then forget it.
Jan 29, 2014 4:55 AM

Apr 2011
Shinseiryuu said:
Inugirlz said:
This is a bit too one-dimensional. I mean Aoba is able to kill people so easily. He hasn't even shown regret at killing people. And Dio is an annoying prick.

I do agree that its not very realistic though, Aoba might at least react or have a thought that he is ACTUALLY killing people because so far he doesn't seem to be aware of what he is doing.

Nevertheless, if they make a big deal out of this moral dilemma won't even more people start complaining about this show being even more cliched, lol?

I agree. Otherwise some people will complain on how Emo he is. lol
Jan 29, 2014 8:05 AM

Oct 2009
Nothing special as of yet, but I did enjoy this quite a bit :)
Jan 29, 2014 8:10 AM
Feb 2013
Oh, looks like Dio is rich after all, so what his beef with his folks?
Jan 29, 2014 8:25 AM

Feb 2008
MrNTR said:

Seems you completely missed the point. Its not that Dio completely trust him, its that he HAS to trust him, at least for this battle. If you don't know what I mean then forget it.

Seems you missed the point and my post on page 3, trust isn't something you can force after feeling betrayed or having doubts, all he could do is try to rely on him. If you don't know what I mean, just forget it, or you know just forget it anyway.
Jan 29, 2014 5:04 PM

Oct 2013
Kerozinn said:
anyone noticed?

"In order for a coupling to be successful, both pilots must be able to merge their consciousness.

For that to happen, they must completely trust and accept each other."

but in episode 2 Dio just said " im going to be coupling with you. Just do as i say! "

that aside it was a good episode.

Yeah, I don't see much contradiction except the fact that Dio mighta been hesitant. Aoba was definitely trusting Dio cuz Hina told Aoba to find Dio, and Dio didn't have much of a choice except to accept Aoba
Jan 29, 2014 8:10 PM
Jan 2014
I know it sounds Far fetch,but I don't remember seeing Aoba's family what if Dio's look /are His family members .
Jan 30, 2014 5:20 AM

Nov 2009
This episode mainly focused on Aoba's resolve and what his plans will be next. Seems like his homeland has been reduced to wastelands but he seems to be hanging in there. Does this make him part of the army or simply a volunteer?Nice introduction on Dio's family. Lee X Elvira are a nice couple.

Another battle with Hina next episode.

5/5

Jan 30, 2014 4:20 PM

Jul 2009
Shinseiryuu said:
Inugirlz said:

you've got a good point here. If he turned into an annoying kid like Kira from Gundam Seed, whining all the time we'd all have a big problem. (mind you Kira got badass in Destiny and will forever hold a place in my heart)

Still i need something. He's chopping up enemies one by one without any doubt. It'd be ok if he showed a lil doubt and then got over it. I mean he's supposed to be a civilian, most civilians aren't so resolved.
Jan 31, 2014 2:12 PM

Jun 2012
GodlyKyon said:
Ok. I am not sure how to put this... But are most mecha shows like this? Not that it's bad but I am noting a few trends:

Peace time music sounds very cheerful. Aoba goes on a date-like event with Mayuka, and around his school. His lil sister probably isn't alive at this point, also.

Second, the portrayal of the enemies/allies. Portraying the Zogillia's forces so obviously bad. I'm not too sure how to describe it, but the commander of the opposing forces in this ep for example, had a menacing and nazi-like feeling to him, as well as having his foces named the 666th force. While the allies have a lax and easy going captain that isn't drilled with rules.

Secondly, the cast of the main protagonists are all very friendly, where as the enemies are portrayed as zombie-like soldiers shouting "ALL HEIL ZOGILLIA!" or "Death to enemies!"

Is this what people called conventional?

Now the Fiona little sister and the father adds an interesting topic... But the dad, does he have to look like every other dad in Anime? God... Dio reminds me of so many other protagonists with his situation.

Well, at least there are secondary protagonists.
Hmm well, I don't watch a ton of mecha shows, but none of the ones I've seen really have that.

I'm not saying those aren't common tropes, because they're pretty much in anything with multiple sides (i.e. war series). I mean, important characters would probably get more interesting lines, simply because they're important... but in real life they aren't exactly going to be having conversations mid-battle, nor are they going to think much while they're killing people. War is all about mindless slaughter... if you don't have the conviction to be assume that the enemy is nothing more than an enemy then you're probably just going to get killed.

I think you're exagerating a bit though, the first 3 episodes all of the main recurring enemies have been shown to have lots of personality, and you can definitely see that they're feeling remorse for their enemies, and then there was the argument this episode about whether Hina deserved to be locked up or not. Yeah the enemies they fought this time around weren't very interesting but that's because they were clearly only intended as a plot point for getting Dio to accept Aoba which is why they all died so easily.

Besides, we don't know why they're even at war yet, or who the aggressors are, so Zogilia's soldiers might have a legitimate reason for thinking that the Alliance is just a group of inhuman bastards.

As for the date thing though, I do think that's a bit of a cliche, but it's really nothing new for anime. Practically every anime ever has that kind of episode, unless it's horror or something. But it fits because it she was able to keep an eye on him, and spend time with him at the same time... which is clearly something she wants.

My only complaint this episode was Mayuka being unable to do a pull-up. I would think that even a basic soldier should be able to do that... but then again they're at war and she probably has no reason to be doing pullups.
Jan 31, 2014 5:08 PM

Oct 2007
PerlaNemesis said:
Mayuka is so cute. She's not going to die soon, right?

We are talking about a mecha anime from Sunrise so she'll probably die. Unfortunately, the main character needs a good reason to fight hard... :(

Feb 1, 2014 5:40 PM

Feb 2013
I'm liking the battle music.
Feb 2, 2014 6:35 AM

Feb 2010
Sucks for Aoba, just losing his whole life like that. The families are definitely gonna be a major plot at some point & I'm wondering if Aoba would hesitate to send Hina to the past when they get the chance to meet properly again. Bring on the twists.

Aoba will be "take that!" when everyone realizes he was telling the truth about being from the past bwahahaha.
Feb 2, 2014 9:35 AM

Feb 2010
"Ah, it's good to be young".

How many more times I'll have to hear this phrase in a anime?

Also, I'm already picturing Aoba killing Hina in order to protect Dio. This is a sunrise mecha, the female romantic interest must die, and she's the only one to fulfill the role as for now. lol
FaytzFeb 2, 2014 9:40 AM
Feb 2, 2014 12:09 PM

Sep 2011
Faytz said:
"Ah, it's good to be young".

How many more times I'll have to hear this phrase in a anime?

Also, I'm already picturing Aoba killing Hina in order to protect Dio. This is a sunrise mecha, the female romantic interest must die, and she's the only one to fulfill the role as for now. lol

it's a pretty cliched series so far, as far as I can tell others are telling me it is.

Yeah, good to be young lol, gotta stick that line there.

Also, if anything, Mayuka is going to die.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Feb 2, 2014 12:48 PM

Jul 2010
Aoba should try getting on Zoglia's side instead. I'm sure they would be interested in information about the Coupling System. There's no reason why he should care about either the war or the crew of the Cygnus. His number one priority should be getting to Hina. Yet here he is, trying to play a hero in a war that doesn't concern him. It would be nice if we could once in a while get a protagonist that doesn't risk his life for random people he just met...
Feb 2, 2014 1:36 PM
Oct 2011
I thought it was pretty crazy how Aoba and Dio's father had the same-ish hairstyle and eyecolor. It wouldn't surprise me if Dio was related to Aoba
Feb 2, 2014 2:37 PM

Jun 2012
Tiaph said:
I thought it was pretty crazy how Aoba and Dio's father had the same-ish hairstyle and eyecolor. It wouldn't surprise me if Dio was related to Aoba
I dunno about them being brothers, since Dio doesn't really look like that guy... but I'm pretty sure that is Aoba's father. The way he said "Father?" at the end just sounded almost like he was saying "What are you doing here?"... but he could've just meant it as "That's his father?"

And you're right it looks just like him except a bit older and with facial hair... the only explanation I can think of is that his father went to the future before he did.
Feb 4, 2014 9:58 PM

Sep 2013
wow what an ungrateful father >< he just saved you!
at least be thankful!! ugh dio didn't deserve that ;@;

nice battle tho. i wonder what happened to aoba's fam… ;_;
Feb 20, 2014 1:53 AM

Nov 2011
4/5

Hard to unmark a series from deja vu, since almost everything has already been used, but remains pleasant narration, perhaps some doubt arises, why do not all the steps have been met (training, where?).
Plot to be discovered, where the series will want to go because it is too short and can not waste so the stakes.
Excellent animation, beautiful collision. Discrete designs, perhaps I preferred those of VVV, but are not bad.
Feb 26, 2014 5:59 AM

Jun 2011
I don't like the female in this show, most of them anyway. I liked the last scene, but I wonder why was Aoba surprised at the end? Maybe because he has a little sister and a dad too? Lol.

billybob300c said:

2. Got a feeling that Aoba & Dio are somehow related after seeing Dio's family

Me too. I was thinking that maybe Aoba and Dio are the same person, I don't know how that works but, that kind of explain their compatibility, genetically, I guess?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 26, 2014 2:52 AM

Jun 2008
GodlyKyon said:
billybob300c said:
1. Not knowing why Hina is the enemy really keeps me watching as well as the battles

2. Got a feeling that Aoba & Dio are the same person after seeing Dio's family

7/10
What? How can they possibly be the same person??

Dio father has brown hair. It will be funny if his the son of Aoba's sister and Tsubasa is Dio's grandmother.
Nov 20, 2014 7:05 PM

Jun 2014
Before it was Dio proposing, now Aoba is proposing?

"Its good to be young"

Jul 27, 2015 9:08 AM

May 2012
Nice and interesting development! For some reason I got a feeling that Dio's father is related with Aoba perhaps the son of his sister which makes Dio related to Aoba which could make sense with the link being that compatible? Well let's see what happens next!
Jan 13, 2017 3:37 AM

Dec 2015
I wonder if Aoba will find some friend or relative from his time in the later episodes.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 5, 2017 4:05 AM

Apr 2009
This show is better than Gundam.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2021 4:37 PM

Feb 2012
Opens with a punch from Dio for Aoba's stupidity. But Aoba's compatibility with Dio is so important, the higher-ups just let it pass, and Aoba just takes it in after seeing injured Lee. He's no pacifist, his initial resistance to fighting is because the crew of the Cygnus who have been taking care of him might get hurt again, he takes down several grunt Zogilians without a second thought. He's also driven by a goal to reunite with Hina again and he discarded the prospect of going to Zogilia as a civilian when he was walking with Mayuka, so he'd kill other Zogilians if it meant reaching Hina.

Mayuka was moe through and through, especially the wall climbing scene and not realizing how old basketball is.

Nunnally clone Fiona...

Empathy for Dio's family is enough for them to perform a successful coupling.

Ah, taking me back to these fan theories of Aoba and Dio being related; the "father" comment, the brown hair, the compatibility.

The "enemy female love interest must" die trope usually applies if they act mysteriously perhaps due to human experimentation or being non-human (Gundam 00 defies this as well as play it straight). Hina and Aoba have a more Cagalli & Athrun dynamic. There is a mystery involving Hina but she for a most part just acts like a zealous soldier.

Fortress_MaximusJan 30, 2021 4:01 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2013

218 by aleinam »»
Mar 8, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2014

199 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 7, 2023 5:45 PM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2014

153 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 6, 2023 8:13 PM

» Why does this feel like it should have been longer? (Potential spoilers)

Damolisher - Nov 1, 2021

2 by Damolisher »»
Nov 9, 2021 12:09 AM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2014

78 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Feb 13, 2021 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.