Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ace of the Diamond
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 25, 2014 3:54 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ejiun, have more confidence!

I kinda like that theatrics this episode with the catcher and Satoru though. Everyone's like grinning :p
The scenes with the snow also added a nice touch of refreshment.
Jan 25, 2014 6:55 PM

Aug 2008
Tsk tsk tsk, Sawamura is going to be the ace, Miyuki :P (well, I hope so)

Ace of Diamond is a bit less fun when Sawamura is doing nothing. But it was nice to see what the senpai can do!

Next episode looks freaking hilarious with the demonic smile at the end of the preview XD.
Jan 25, 2014 7:03 PM
Jul 2013
Furuya did very bad, I hope Sawamura threw well in the next episode and can win the game.

Furuya is on fire: http://i41.tinypic.com/29cxe07.png
Jan 25, 2014 7:08 PM

Jul 2012
sawamura should pitch well. after 16 eps its his time to shine
Cty Best mid
Jan 25, 2014 7:17 PM

Jun 2013
Kurini said:
Tsk tsk tsk, Sawamura is going to be the ace, Miyuki :P (well, I hope so)

Ace of Diamond is a bit less fun when Sawamura is doing nothing. But it was nice to see what the senpai can do!

Next episode looks freaking hilarious with the demonic smile at the end of the preview XD.
IKR i was like ok when will furuya get off the mound and let ejun show off.
Jan 25, 2014 7:36 PM

Nov 2012
I was surprised when they got hits off Furuya's pitches so easily. The upperclassmen are total beasts out there in the field and they're doing all that despite their major fatigue from camp.

Also that guy in the preview looks creepy. ಠ_ಠ
AichiroJan 25, 2014 7:45 PM
Jan 25, 2014 8:10 PM

Oct 2011
Its to be expected since Furuya's tired(everyone is). About time for him to realize that he is not playing alone and he has reliable team mates :>
Ryou-san is being nasty xD Making the pitcher throw a lot. lol And Yuki-san still burning despite the fatigue. Eijun in the sidelines is really funny to watch.
Miyuki's weakness exposed - he can't hit if there are no runners around. haha!
Eijun's pitching next ep!
Jan 25, 2014 9:39 PM

Oct 2013
Nice little development with furuya
Jan 25, 2014 10:08 PM

Aug 2009
dat smile in the preview though.....

Great episode! really enjoyed it even though they were losing. I need Eijun to pitch now and to show everyone just how great he is.
I've been waiting too long for this!

Jan 25, 2014 10:29 PM

Jun 2012
They actually put some focus towards batting this episode! I mean, the main focus of the series being pitching is fine and all, but it feels like the supporting characters who don't shine while fielding never get any screentime.
Furuya is gradually becoming my favorite character in this series along with Chris and Yuki.

Is the smile from the preview the guy from the opening? Took a full cour to get to him so he must have some significance.
Jan 25, 2014 10:58 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Finally Furuya realizes that he can't be just satisfied with having fast balls, about time! Even though it was cruel how Miyuki planned all this, but people do learn the fastest through the hard way. Time for Eijun to get on the mound and show everyone what he can do. Oh and that weird pitcher is finally up too...can't remember his name but all I can remember is that he had the weirdest expressions.
Jan 26, 2014 12:32 AM

May 2013
I would be happy if someone says that i'm a monster because of my pitching
Furaya's Past isn't dark at all :/

Tetsu is the coolest guy in this anime
Jan 26, 2014 1:10 AM

Aug 2012
Really liked the development for Furuya.
Sawamura is to funny, especially towards the end with a mit and bat ready to go in haha
Jan 26, 2014 1:12 AM

Nov 2010
There was good focus on Furuya this episode.
Eijun was funny and stupid like always
Jan 26, 2014 1:22 AM

Mar 2013
We're actually playing a proper game of baseball this episode? Frankly, I'm shocked. Miyuki doing the Monobear laugh made me giggle, as did Sawamura getting distracted by ~*~Chris-senpai~*~ during Furuya's... winter wonderland adventure moment or whatever it was. What the fuck was up with the preview, though? I'm pretty sure their next opponent is Jack Nicholson as the Joker, even if his grin's not quite as... well, as disturbingly creepy as Midosuji's in Yowamushi Pedal.
Jan 26, 2014 1:51 AM

Aug 2013
DAT GUY IN THE PREVIEW IS CREEPY
Jan 26, 2014 2:19 AM

Jul 2012
After watching the starters play like this while fatigued, I can't wait 'til we can see them play at 100%. They're insane!
Jan 26, 2014 2:45 AM

May 2010
Ando- said:
After watching the starters play like this while fatigued, I can't wait 'til we can see them play at 100%. They're insane!

yeah those guys are nuts ! cant weit to see them at full power :D

great episode..!

the pitcher in the promo had a permanent troll face on ^^
KerozinnJan 26, 2014 2:49 AM
Jan 26, 2014 2:56 AM

Jun 2013
...Ok. Has anyone else noticed that Youichi talks and acts a lot like Yoichi from Eyeshield 21?
My signature is lame...
Jan 26, 2014 3:32 AM

Nov 2009
This episode was for Furuya. I wanted to see Sawamura in action.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 26, 2014 8:41 AM

Oct 2011
I'm impatiently waiting for Sawamura to show off his pitch!

Also, the PV for the next episode has a creepy smiling batter.
Signature
Jan 26, 2014 10:40 AM

Jul 2012
Great episode! Much intense, very baseball.

straggy said:
Miyuki doing the Monobear laugh made me giggle

^
Jan 26, 2014 4:51 PM

Aug 2007
.. yeah, this episode reminded me once again, why I hate Furuya with a passion.
He's getting praised into heaven, while Sawamura always seems to be "second place" behind him. Having a rival is good, but Furuya is ridiculous. That and he's so anti-social and egoistic, it's making me mad. For him it's always "I want to pitch", "I want to stand on the field", "I want Miyuki to catch my pitchesl". I, I, I, I, me, me, me. Pitchers are egoists, but Furuya takes it too far, especially since he's so anti-social, he doesn't even speak to his team mates. Hello Furuya, this might be news, but Baseball is a team-sport.
Of course Sawamura is also egoistic, he also wants to be the top pitcher, but at least he's a team player and interacts with his team mates. Furuya is just a horroble character.
Jan 26, 2014 7:55 PM

Jul 2012
kennikitty said:
.. yeah, this episode reminded me once again, why I hate Furuya with a passion.
He's getting praised into heaven, while Sawamura always seems to be "second place" behind him. Having a rival is good, but Furuya is ridiculous. That and he's so anti-social and egoistic, it's making me mad. For him it's always "I want to pitch", "I want to stand on the field", "I want Miyuki to catch my pitchesl". I, I, I, I, me, me, me. Pitchers are egoists, but Furuya takes it too far, especially since he's so anti-social, he doesn't even speak to his team mates. Hello Furuya, this might be news, but Baseball is a team-sport.
Of course Sawamura is also egoistic, he also wants to be the top pitcher, but at least he's a team player and interacts with his team mates. Furuya is just a horroble character.

I think it's actually good that he's unlikable. That leaves more room for character development (as seen in this episode) and having too many perfect characters isn't that exciting, ne? Also, no one said that Eijun is second place to Furuya. Everyone believes in the two first year pitchers and are putting their trust in them.
Jan 26, 2014 7:56 PM
Aug 2012
I actually really enjoy Furuya's character. It's a bit endearing how much he's actually out of tune with understanding other people's thoughts feelings. He simply goes at his own pace with everything, which makes sense if you consider how he was treated by his former teammates in middle school.

It must have never occurred to him that the outfielders wanted him to rely on them and not just aim for strike-outs. He can only think about himself because that's how he grew up playing baseball, but hopefully soon he will begin to assimilate into the team now that he understands that he isn't standing on that field alone.

kennikitty said:
That and he's so anti-social and egoistic, it's making me mad. For him it's always "I want to pitch", "I want to stand on the field", "I want Miyuki to catch my pitchesl". I, I, I, I, me, me, me. Pitchers are egoists, but Furuya takes it too far, especially since he's so anti-social, he doesn't even speak to his team mates. Hello Furuya, this might be news, but Baseball is a team-sport.

But you need to consider that Sawamura came from a team that consisted of his school friends and that they all relied on and believed in each other no matter how horribly any of them played. All they wanted to do was have fun playing baseball together.
Meanwhile, Furuya's middle school team wasn't much of a team at all to him; they ridiculed and alienated him, and thus he learned to rely solely on himself and no one else. He was even forced to practice alone by throwing pitches at a wall. Until he met Miyuki, he never had anyone that was willing to work with him to catch his pitches. Furuya had never experienced playing baseball as a real team until coming to Seido.

They simply came from teams that were polar opposites, not to mention that it's just in Sawamura's nature to be upbeat and Furuya is naturally a very quiet person since it doesn't seem that he's ever had any friends. From the looks of it, Furuya doesn't know how to casually interact with others at all.

But in some aspects, Sawamura and Furuya are actually very similar characters, as pointed out by Miyuki last episode. Remember that Sawamura was initially set on having only Miyuki catch his pitches, hence his immediate distaste and frustration once he found out he was paired up with Chris in the earlier episodes.

Both of them are almost always vocalizing their desire to pitch- "I want to pitch", "Let me pitch", "As long as I can pitch, nothing else matters", "I only want Miyuki/Chris to catch my pitches". The entire length of this episode, Sawamura was demanding he replace Furuya on the mound. He never considered offering words of encouragement to his teammate; instead, he was yelling at Furuya to let him pitch instead.

I hope that eventually, Sawamura and Furuya can learn to share the mound with each other.
Jan 27, 2014 4:22 PM

Oct 2011
I feel sorry for him. At least he found a team that trust him.
Jan 27, 2014 5:58 PM

Dec 2011
Some development for Furuya. Now can't wait to see what Sawamura can do... hopefully he isn't as hopeless as last time even if he is tired.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2014 9:51 PM

Jul 2012
I was expecting some Furuya hate but there are quite a bit more than expected lol. Unfortunately guys it gets worse. Sawamura doesn't really shine until MUCH, MUCH later. Prepare for frustration... and lots more Furuya hate. I advice following the growth of the team instead of just Eijun cuz if you're expecting he's gonna get better soon...

But stick around. I don't even consider Sawamura a main character anymore. At least not until later. He's just there for perspective. But the heartbreak you are going to suffer after a few arcs just hits you and kicks you while you're down... in a good way. Beautiful.
Jan 28, 2014 4:41 PM

Jan 2013
Great serious and character developing episode.
Feb 4, 2014 1:37 AM

Mar 2008
Sawamura was super annoying in this episode. He will get his time to shine and yet he was being such a selfish little baby, constantly screaming at Furuya to get off the mound and have him replace him instead while the rest of the teammates said nothing because they trusted him. What a dick. I can't believe nobody called him out on this.

I don't pay much attention to Furuya but I have to say he works as a better comic relief than Sawamura for me. Sawamura is just too loud and dramatic, a huge turnoff.

I love Tetsu here, my favorite :)
eternaltortureFeb 5, 2014 9:26 PM
Feb 4, 2014 5:22 AM

Jul 2012
glimpse of sawamura invisible pitch
Cty Best mid
Feb 7, 2014 10:56 AM

Apr 2007
xin09 said:
Furaya's Past isn't dark at all :/
Being shunned be your teammates and having to practice alone, as well as feel alone while playing, isn't dark at all? Yeah ok

gardevoir7 said:
...Ok. Has anyone else noticed that Youichi talks and acts a lot like Yoichi from Eyeshield 21?
Someone else has noticed! I think it's actually rather amusing. I have to wonder if the author did have Hiruma in mind when making the character. Same laugh, same attitude, same first name.
Feb 20, 2014 7:46 AM

Sep 2013
furuya is damn tired :/ that was some shitty playing
starters played well tho. at 100% they'll be amazing ._.
Apr 28, 2015 8:22 PM

Feb 2015
swordstriker21 said:
But the heartbreak you are going to suffer after a few arcs just hits you and kicks you while you're down... in a good way. Beautiful.
This makes me super nervous for some reason.
May 20, 2015 3:27 PM

Aug 2012
[b][i][size=125]I loved the character development for Furuya, I can't wait to see Sawamura on the mound!<3[/b][/i][/size]

MiochwanMay 20, 2015 3:32 PM
Dec 17, 2016 11:04 PM

Sep 2015
Furuya struggling this episode was kinda surpising since he always seems like hes cocky with his op-ness

The preview at the end for next episode looks scary o.0
May 12, 2017 7:43 PM

Jul 2016
Man, I knew I had to come back to say something about this episode. This morning, I watched this episode with my earbuds in while eating breakfast and I was tearing up at Furuya's short memory of being isolated plus having to practice by himself. It was such a great scene. One of my favorites so far... I'm really liking Furuya. He has a certain charm that I end up falling for despite myself not thinking that he's the type of character I'd like. I don't know how to explain it. A bit of social awkwardness, stoic expression, his weird voice and even though he is obviously not a guy of many words whatever comes out of his mouth makes my interest pique.
Jan 11, 2018 9:44 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Nice episode!!
Furuya learned a great lesson, play in the team, and confidence in their peers!!!
Feb 15, 2018 9:57 PM

Dec 2013
Poor Furuya got obliterated lol

Eijun is next!
Jul 22, 2020 3:43 PM
May 2020
Well, that was interesting seeing Mr. Monster-first-year suck at pitching for once.
Oct 27, 2021 4:48 AM

Jul 2015
Tough start with everyone tired after the hellish training camp but Furuya managed to trust his teammates in the end.

Jun 28, 2023 7:25 PM

Aug 2019
Eijun needs to yelling unnecessary things lmao

Hold up, the third years are actually insane. They run so freaking quick.

Jul 24, 2023 6:03 AM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Damn dude the cast is excellent in this show. I think I like pretty much every character.

9/10 so far

More topics from this board

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 74 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2015

34 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 21, 9:15 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2015

59 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 21, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 70 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2015

55 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 21, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2015

101 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 21, 4:18 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 63 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2014

128 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 17, 10:57 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.