Forum Settings
Forums
The Ghost in the Shell
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 25, 2014 4:29 AM

May 2009
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-24/live-action-ghost-in-the-shell-project-signs-up-director-rupert-sanders

Let it be known that the film will be adapted from the manga, so expect to see Fuchikomas.

Now, let the biased carnage begin!!!
bergilFeb 13, 2014 11:13 AM
Jan 25, 2014 4:35 AM

Mar 2008
Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate.

Imagine if it was actually so good that people couldn't even use 'not my anime/manga' as an issue against it.
Jan 25, 2014 4:49 AM

Apr 2013
Nice. I'm really curious about how Sanders will handle this, although I don't have high expectations.
A tall, skinny creature fond of alcohol and anime.
Jan 25, 2014 4:55 AM

Jul 2013
I'm kind of curious how it's gonna turn out
Jan 25, 2014 5:10 AM

May 2009
I think Gemma Arterton would make a nice Motoko.
Jan 27, 2014 4:32 AM

Apr 2013
I think that it would be actually better if actress playing Motoko was asian.
A tall, skinny creature fond of alcohol and anime.
Feb 21, 2014 8:00 PM

Mar 2013
I think this will have a lack of news for a while and then get axed. Isn't The Matrix mostly GITS the live action film?
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Feb 21, 2014 8:04 PM

Nov 2012
I don't want it to happen.
Jan 6, 2016 9:08 PM
Jan 2016
DAMN THING KEEPS PREMATURELY POSTING. Here's my complete thought, sorry for that.

I'm exploring the entire ghost in the shell world via manga books and the movies and shows in correct order, very interesting work. I've changed my opinion about Scarlett taking the role of Major Kusanagi. I was sucked into what I believe is simply people's attachment to the particular character portrayed in the manga and shows, which is quite a shallow perspective when the following is brought to light for proper context.

1) In the first movie, she becomes one with the puppetmaster, leaving her body to enter and exist primarily in the net as this new unified Ghost, so she doesn't even have a specific body anymore. Batou does give her a young girls body at the very end, but she only really inhabits it for the sake of an in person goodbye with Batou, doesn't actually stay in it.

2) In the 2nd movie, she downloads from the net into several forms to help Batou that are not the typical look of "the Major" and she exits them back into the net once the job is done

3) In various places, she explains that he has had many different bodies, and she is not just referring to the female form, as she had a male form during a certain civil war incident.

Point is, Kusanagi takes different aspects to accomplish different things, so it is not unrealistic for her to download into someone sexy like Scarlett. It is clear how people's thinking is shallow when it comes to Scarlett playing the role because their reasoning ignores the actual storyline evidence as I've just pointed out. They just have an ideal of Kusanagi being Asian even though it already isn't even the case in the story. I get the point about whitewashing, especially being the first actual live-action film of the story, but, overall considering what I've said, I'm now actually quite excited to see Scarlett's portrayal of Kusanagi.

Sent from my cyber lobby
Apr 21, 2016 3:03 PM

Jul 2013
white washed again
Apr 22, 2016 1:59 PM
Aug 2011
why are they doing this movie? why did the creators agree to it? Why re-do something that was already perfect? I would bet all I have on in that this movie will not make anime more popular, masses will not care to watch the original or invest 10 minutes of their lifes to engage in topics which GITS addresses. I also bet the movie will be: sexy, there will be a love interest subplot and not nearly as artistic or serious as the original.
This might even turn out to be a decent movie, I have nothing against Scarlet. She has good taste in choosing her roles, she is talented, beautiful...but still I see no purpose in producing this film other them making money in a shameful way. Even if anime suddenly will gain mainstream popularity(which I think might be Japan's perspective in this) it will be even worse. I personally don't want anime "popculturefied" and have every pretentious fashionmonkey talk suddenly all about anime, an interest I have cherished as a treasure for over a decade. I don't have good feelings about this...but I hope I'm just overreacting.
Jun 2, 2016 12:23 PM

Oct 2015
Actual Japanese people don't seem to mind that she's not Japanese.

I'm still curious how this movie will turn out though.
Jul 20, 2016 3:44 AM
Dec 2014
It's a 3DPD movie adaptation of a masterpiece.

I'll just not watch it and hope it goes away soon.
Sep 11, 2016 10:30 PM
Mar 2016
MattKitsune96 said:
Actual Japanese people don't seem to mind that she's not Japanese.

I'm still curious how this movie will turn out though.

These perspectives are pretty bizarre to me. The Naruto one especially. As far as this movie it's a Hollywood adaptation so I'm preemptively dumpstering it. I don't feel like the meat for live action is there anyway, and anime adaptations are traditionally terrible.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

naikou - Jan 29, 2009

166 by notalai »»
Apr 8, 12:04 AM

» How bad are the Ghost in the Shell Blu Rays?

JiffyBone - Mar 12, 2018

8 by Seiidou »»
Aug 6, 2023 8:51 PM

» The Original Movie Was Better

Densel_ - Nov 13, 2022

10 by Densel_ »»
May 7, 2023 9:49 PM

» Canon story watch order?

WeebiBOY - Jan 21, 2023

4 by giffica »»
Jan 21, 2023 4:58 PM

» Is Ghost in the Shell series worth watching?

Tatsuya1337 - Sep 29, 2017

27 by Densel_ »»
Nov 13, 2022 5:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.