Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jul 10, 2013 2:12 PM

May 2013
hmmm time to marathon the next season while waiting for ep 14 of railgun S. hmmm ending is just average but i hope next season there will be more misaka or accelerator arcs
Jul 12, 2013 3:38 AM

May 2012
Okay, well that was underwhelming. It started off well enough but the longer it went on the more repetitive it became. Touma's powers are both OP and lame as hell. Every single fight consists of him running away until he can touch them(Even if he shouldn't be able to)

Accelerator, was a big disappointment. He starts off as a total badass psycho who logically should be able to take Touma down with ease but instead he gets knocked out because he runs up on him despite not being a physical fighter.He got cocky. One time is understandable but no he does it multiple times in the same episode. Then in episode 19 & 20 he's suddenly feeling bad about killing 10,000 girls. I mean....what? If he killed 1-100 then it might have been more believable but 10,000 and suddenly you have regrets? Either way, he and Mikoto were the only characters I actually liked.

I could deal with the cliches, lapses in logic, lack of character development and annoying two leads each separately but all at once makes for a pretty bad experience. Giving it a 6/10 but I'm somewhat tempted to give it a 5/10. Maybe I'll check out Railgun at some point but no interest in season 2 of Index.
Jul 31, 2013 11:16 PM

Apr 2013
My problem with this show is that it felt like too many things happening at the same time and it was just too rushed and messy.Like I felt a lot of arcs would have been a lot better if they weren't so fast-paced.
Also too much fan-service for my taste.
the ending was alright,but not great.I didn't really like the last arc,it was decent at best.And of course in the end Index is hungry but instead of reaching for the food,she bits Touma's head and the food falls to the ground,seems like a smart thing to do..or not.

Best things for me were Misaka and Touma.hope the 2nd season is better.
SalxerJul 31, 2013 11:47 PM
Aug 1, 2013 5:49 AM

Aug 2009
S-ER said:
My problem with this show is that it felt like too many things happening at the same time and it was just too rushed and messy.Like I felt a lot of arcs would have been a lot better if they weren't so fast-paced.
Also too much fan-service for my taste.
the ending was alright,but not great.I didn't really like the last arc,it was decent at best.And of course in the end Index is hungry but instead of reaching for the food,she bits Touma's head and the food falls to the ground,seems like a smart thing to do..or not.

Best things for me were Misaka and Touma.hope the 2nd season is better.
It's still very fast paced.
As for the events being messy:They all connect later.
Aug 9, 2013 6:57 PM

Dec 2010
This anime started out well enough, but it kind of tapered off. The introduction of tons of other female characters vying for the MC was tedious at best.

And the stupid mechanic of him losing his memory to further these events was very annoying. If it fit into the story some other way it would have been fine, but it was simply to justify this unnecessary part of the anime.

However there are elements of the show that I find very enjoyable. Gonna marathon season 2 and see how it turns out.

Also, as has been mentioned his power his stupid at best, it's so forced how he uses it at some times. He should have been able to extend it or something as time went on. but no just punch! pow! zap! slam! gg. at least he doesn't yell "Imagine Breaker!" with each attack. I can take solace in that.
Aug 10, 2013 1:50 AM

Aug 2009
Blazed88 said:
This anime started out well enough, but it kind of tapered off. The introduction of tons of other female characters vying for the MC was tedious at best.

And the stupid mechanic of him losing his memory to further these events was very annoying. If it fit into the story some other way it would have been fine, but it was simply to justify this unnecessary part of the anime.

However there are elements of the show that I find very enjoyable. Gonna marathon season 2 and see how it turns out.

Also, as has been mentioned his power his stupid at best, it's so forced how he uses it at some times. He should have been able to extend it or something as time went on. but no just punch! pow! zap! slam! gg. at least he doesn't yell "Imagine Breaker!" with each attack. I can take solace in that.

Even if he had his memories the plot would be the same.He only needs to learn again about those that he forgot.Something that stopped ever since the Sisters arc.

Why should he have been able to extend it when he doesnt even know what it is or where it came from?
Sep 25, 2013 6:01 PM

Sep 2009
Meh, I think this show was decently alright. 7/10

I don't see why Misaka Mikoto is so popular though. I will watch the Railgun series and see if that sheds some light on it. Hopefully, the Railgun series doesn't have as much religion in it as this one although I am not holding my breath.

Oct 19, 2013 4:12 PM

Jan 2013
So many flaws (mostly in the script/dialogue), but I still liked it. Academy City looks like a fine place to live in. :)
Oct 19, 2013 10:02 PM

Aug 2009
larry92 said:
Academy City looks like a fine place to live in. :)

lol no.
Dec 5, 2013 10:33 PM

Nov 2012
holy! it is final episode.. and it has a sad moment.. :((
hyouka has gone.. I hope see her in next season :'
Dec 20, 2013 12:59 PM

Jan 2013
Oh I thought that she will stay with the group. Interesting :).
Kurokooo!!

And also the archbishop.. hmm. :) Going to continue this series next year :D.
Feb 23, 2014 9:36 AM

Jun 2013
One of my favourite.
Mar 22, 2014 6:00 PM

Nov 2012
This was a pretty half-assed arc. Not only that, but this anime as a whole failed to impress me. I'm very unlikely going to continue this series even if I want to. It just isn't good.
ShigureSep 24, 2014 8:39 PM
Apr 27, 2014 10:53 AM

Aug 2011
All characters had some development. Except Touma, the main character. 24 episodes later he is still yelling the same self-righteous stuff, using the exact same power in exactly the same way, getting into the same generic accidents with girls etc. I'm not even sure what this anime was about. Index is introduced as somebody very important, and all of a sudden she becomes a pointless side-character, whose only purpose is to misunderstand Touma. What a waste of potential.
Jun 1, 2014 9:17 AM

Aug 2009
xXWoLFxChAoSXx said:
Actually liked the first season quite a bit even though Touma is really overpowered. Accelerator was easily my favorite character so far and I can't wait to watch season 2. This gets an 8/10 from.

I beg you to explain why he is overpowered.
Jun 11, 2014 10:51 PM

May 2012
Well, I just finished this series. Index has got to be the worst character I've seen in a while. I mean, who the fuck bites someone all over when they get angry over petty little things? - 4 points because of Index.

Time to marathon season 2. Railgun is better imo.
Go ***k yourself.

Polite as usual,
lightXTC
Jun 12, 2014 2:44 AM

Aug 2009
lightXTC said:
Well, I just finished this series. Index has got to be the worst character I've seen in a while. I mean, who the fuck bites someone all over when they get angry over petty little things? - 4 points because of Index.

Time to marathon season 2. Railgun is better imo.

Who the hell electrocutes someone just because they feel like it?
Jun 17, 2014 6:34 PM

Nov 2012
Slightly disappointed with this adaption.It was a good adaption of the novels,yet it seemed lackluster compared to what I envisioned while reading the novels.7/10.
Jul 3, 2014 2:49 AM

Apr 2014
Didn't like this arc too much, because for some reason I didn't like Hyouka. Also, a question: if science is so advanced, then why do they still only have machine guns and not something more powerful, e.g. railguns?
your waifu is shit
Jul 3, 2014 3:00 AM

Aug 2009
IktIkn said:
Didn't like this arc too much, because for some reason I didn't like Hyouka. Also, a question: if science is so advanced, then why do they still only have machine guns and not something more powerful, e.g. railguns?

Why would the police use railguns?Especially when they exist to control the students, not to fill them with holes?.

And they(Academy City,not Anti-Skill) have them.They just dont use them on students for no reason.As for the magician, Academy City itself didnt care about what she did.
Jul 3, 2014 6:26 AM
Feb 2013
They are not just controlling them but protecting them, and since those students are not "normal" they should have something Anti-espers/Anti-magicians otherwise they are completely useless.
Jul 3, 2014 8:25 AM

Aug 2009
eddy-sama said:
They are not just controlling them but protecting them, and since those students are not "normal" they should have something Anti-espers/Anti-magicians otherwise they are completely useless.

By control I meant maintain peace.Anyway..

Magic isnt supposed to exist.

Considering that the only have problems against magicians because thy have no info about them and the powerful espers(level 5s), there is no reason to use something like that. You dont see policemen using rocket launchers if the robbers have armored vehicles(with or without guns). And dont forget that Anti-Skill is basically teachers and other adults protecting the students for free, because they want to.

And there is always Judgement that even has Level 4s, that can help them.

If the job that they must handle is too much, they arent even informed and the task goes straight to [spoiler]organizations like Group(which Accelerator,Unabara and Motoharu are part of),Item(from Railgun S) and other underground factions.
ssjokgJul 3, 2014 8:45 AM
Jul 8, 2014 10:45 AM

Apr 2013
This is one of the most inconsistent shows I think I've ever seen. I disliked the first arc, hated the second one, liked the third one, absolutely detested the fourth one, liked the fifth one and had an okay time with the last one. It's super-generic, very badly organized, and painfully bad in spots, but there are some good ideas on display here. And hell, there was a really solid performance from Kana Asumi in the last arc, so that was nice, although, I laughed when Touma just happened to find Hyouka at the end of this episode.
Jul 26, 2014 5:13 PM

Aug 2013
Why the bittersweet ending? :(
Well, not that much bittersweet, but still, felt kinda unnecessary that she disappeared. But at the same time, I guess it will come back because of that Aleister plan.

Kuroko make me laugh so much with all her crazy attempt toward Misaka :P
Misaka is so cute too, the way she got embarrassed while being close to him :3
Himegami trying to be moe was funny too.

Touma sure brofist a lot. Now, he brofisted a golem.

Isn't it a bit dangerous to jump on someone while being meters and meters from the ground, Index?

Well, now, up to Railgun bitches! More Misaka! More tsundereness! More Kuroko lewdness! Woot!
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Aug 17, 2014 1:08 PM

Dec 2013
Well this arc was quite average. Nice to see Misaka 20001 by hospital Accelerator's bed in the end.
I liked all the previous arcs though. Touma is pretty cool, Index isn't as terrible as people make her to be and of course much less Misaka than in Railgun so I rate it higher - 7/10 from me. Wasn't as childish as Railgun too.

I hope there's more Kanzaki in s2.
AizixAug 17, 2014 1:21 PM
Aug 30, 2014 2:30 PM

May 2014
"Your personality of going all out when it comes to women..." Devil's Blood to Touma haha. That pretty much sums up the entire Index series. Touma is sucha feminist yea!!! YES FIGHT FOR THE WOMEN!!

That scene with Last Order with Accel was awesome.
I wonder if we get to see the Daihesei Festival in the next season!!!
_Dazzle_Aug 30, 2014 2:37 PM
Sep 8, 2014 7:17 AM

Jan 2012
fragmented filler show of peace..

each of those 'arc' aka waste of fucking time fillers can be done in 1 EP each per arc

fucking shit sucks ass

3/10
Sep 8, 2014 9:06 AM

Aug 2009
flaxman85 said:
fragmented filler show of peace..

each of those 'arc' aka waste of fucking time fillers can be done in 1 EP each per arc

fucking shit sucks ass

3/10

Yeah. Because they werent butchered enough.

You should become a scriptwriter.
Oct 16, 2014 5:28 PM

Sep 2014
This show has no sense of direction. It starts out promising, but the plot changes on a whim and it happens OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. By the time you reach the end, it's like you're watching an entirely different show.

Villains are introduced, then disappear. Characters are introduced, then their motives and personalities change abruptly. I still don't know what the fuck the main plot/conflict is. Writers, please: just stick to one fucking thing and then build upon it. As the show progressed, I found myself less and less engaged and eager to watch the next episode.

But the worst part is, the protagonist transforms from a very likeable guy into your typical protagonist with a "helping people problem" once his memory is wiped.
Oct 17, 2014 12:20 AM

Aug 2009
notsomacho said:
This show has no sense of direction. It starts out promising, but the plot changes on a whim and it happens OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. By the time you reach the end, it's like you're watching an entirely different show.

Villains are introduced, then disappear. Characters are introduced, then their motives and personalities change abruptly. I still don't know what the fuck the main plot/conflict is. Writers, please: just stick to one fucking thing and then build upon it. As the show progressed, I found myself less and less engaged and eager to watch the next episode.

But the worst part is, the protagonist transforms from a very likeable guy into your typical protagonist with a "helping people problem" once his memory is wiped.
"Villains" disappear because they are defeated.
Characters motives are very clear and they change because either they cant fulfill their goals or they are fulfilled.

The main plot is Touma meeting people and helping them and where that leads.We dont need a BiG goal, like becoming the King of Level 5s.

He was like that since the first arc.Really the only thing that changed is that he has no memories.
Nov 27, 2014 4:42 AM

Aug 2014
It was a nice ending of the season. I like more the story about Misaki than this last...
Besides this anime was very awesome! :D Just like the second opening says "It's only my thing highest masterpiece!" ;)
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Sep 1, 2015 4:22 AM

Jul 2014
I was only watching this for Accelerator (who didn't appear as much as I thought), but still I expected more considering its popularity.
7/10
Sep 1, 2015 3:00 PM

Feb 2015
Good BUT: Arcs were too short and rushed and every arc ends in the same no-one-dies cheesy way. It was pretty average. 6/10.
Oct 23, 2015 3:20 AM

Jul 2012
I want to give this a 7/10 but it's lacking something. I feel that it's just arcs followed by arcs followed by more arcs. There is no central focus and for 24 episodes, all of the arcs still didn't really link up nor did we get like a main plot/climax, overall.

I think I enjoyed Accelerator's arc the most as he was very interesting to watch and Last Order was adorable. He had more character development than Touma in just two episodes, man. Instant fav boy. God bless Okamoto Nobuhiko.

Yo, the world building is superb in this series, along with both Railgun seasons. My favourite part of the show is feeling like I'm in Academy City and it's fancy science and technology.

Another flaw it had was that mostly all of the villains, including Accelerator, had little to no backstory, foreshadowing and motive. The last girl (Sherry?) randomly wanted to start war and shit. She did explain her reasons but dang, it was rushed.

I felt that Hyouka, aka megane, was just there to force the viewers to cry. She was kind of dumb overall and I don't get how she could have existed. Then again, most of this show is sci-fi fantasy.

I want to see more. Will download and start s2 after midterms end.
Dec 1, 2015 2:06 AM

Mar 2014
Magic and Science , Unification .
Materialization of the benevolent one .
The Fortunate reality .
GREAT EPISODE .

Glad the anime got me enjoyed and motivated at the same time .
It's really a nice feeling that you've watched such a great anime .
Well , Preparations for the sequel !!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 3, 2016 6:27 AM

Mar 2015
The most disappointed arc in my opinion. Episode 1&2 are the best of this series.

I think Touma is the strongest Level 0. That would be cool.

Series Rating: 8/10
Jan 14, 2016 10:44 AM

Jun 2014
Hmmm...

Right. Well, I think this had a strong start but it started going downhill after Touma lost his memories. It feels like this series is losing any sense of overall plot and each new arc has some conflict that came out of nowhere. It just feels way too random. Also, most of the villains weren't good. Let's take the Alchemist and this last villain, for example. Their motives made no sense. Apparently they pretended to be evil and for some reason weren't evil, and meanwhile I still don't quite understand either a) what they're trying to achieve or b) why they're trying to achieve it in that way.

For me, characters are extremely important. I can deal with even a terrible plot if I really like the characters, but aside from Accelerator and Misaka, none of them were all that appealing to me.

Touma really got on my nerves. He's so interfering! This goes beyond saving people, it's not even letting people do anything at all because someone will be at risk. Also, he really needs to stop with those cheesy speeches.

I had liked Index, but after Touma lost his memories she stopped developing as a character completely and never did anything. Most of the supporting cast were very stereotypical and annoying. The only two with real personality were Misaka and Accelerator imo, and they were only supporting characters.

Also, can we just talk about Okamoto Nobuhiko's voice acting? :D The guy is amazing.

My one complaint with Accelerator's story: I think it's a bit of a stretch to have killed 10,000 people and then feel guilt. The idea itself is fine, in fact I liked it, but the anime (novel, whatever) chose terrible numbers. 10,000. Ten freaking thousand. That's A LOT. That's also literally impossible, by the way, so the experiment itself was flawed. He could have killed one of those clones every single day since his birth to age 20 and he still wouldn't have killed 10,000. Besides I'm pretty sure he's 17, and the project started long after his birth.

Anyway, I wanted to give this 7/10, but I really feel like I can't give this higher than a 6/10. And I am going to watch index II, mainly because I see that Misaka and Accelerator are main characters there.

EDIT: Forgot to mention something that really bothered me. I couldn't help but feel like either you saw Touma's weakness or his right hand worked overly well when it served the plot. One example is when his blonde-haired friend beat him with no problem in the Angel Fall arc. I mean, at that point Touma had taken down ACCELERATOR. And suddenly he can't beat a guy in a fist fight?
KageNoAbisuJan 14, 2016 11:05 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 20, 2016 6:04 PM

Mar 2015
Hmm... well that's kind of an unsatisfying ending for a season. Although Misaka blushing again is cute.

Maybe I would appreciate Railgun more since Misaka is there.

Overall, I enjoyed it (mostly because of Misaka). Touma's harem just kept on growing and growing... but they never developed. Like seriously. Take out Himegami from the equation and the story line will not change whatsoever since only the sensei is needed.

8/10

Jul 28, 2016 3:20 PM

Aug 2008
notsomacho said:

There is no real plot or character development. Just a white knight saving women, lecturing people into his ridiculous moral code and defeating pathetic villains. There is no real attempt to bring together all the mini arcs together into anything coherent and no one is that interesting. There was an attempt to show Misaka as possibly entertaining but she quickly fades to the background and seems pathetically weak for being a "Level 5", she only gets defeated by Touma and admits she can't beat Accelerator. Takes no part in the fights in the season. What use is she? What use are any of the many side characters who sometimes pop back up in this show? To blush at the MC? This doesn't even feel like a real harem show as none of the females get much screen time except for Index. Who imo is the most irritating character in the show.

Gave this a 6 for being mildly entertaining every now and then but hardly anything to remember. I even see that Misaka is thought of as one of the "tough" women in anime which I find doubly confounding as she has as of yet done nothing to earn this. I'm a few eps in the second season as well and she is once again shoved to the side... not looking good for her.
Aug 26, 2016 4:25 AM

Dec 2013
This was an ok ending. Index is still really meh. Touma was fun but that's about it.

Might watch season 2 eventually but I'm not in a hurry.
Dec 4, 2016 4:47 PM

Jun 2013
The part with Sherry didn't really go anywhere, but at least she revealed her motivation, so it wasn't a complete failure.

I liked Kazakiri, but her scenes in this episode were beyond cheesy. Then there were one or two scenes where we were reminded that Mikoto and Himegami still exist, but I already forgot what they were about.

The info dump with Aleister and Tsuchimikado was even less clear than in the previous episodes, so that just ended up confusing me instead of creating intrigue.

Well, in spite of everything I just wrote, I still might watch more of this franchise. Magnus got a new assignment, Kanzaki is missing; the Misaka and Accelerator are still recuperating. There is material for more, but having seen the way this season was executed, I don't expect any miracles from season 2.
Sep 30, 2017 1:44 PM

Nov 2016
Season started pretty good and promising, but at some point there was less progress and the story started to stagnate. Yet I enjoyed a bit of the comedy and sol parts.

And well, it still served as a nice set up for the sequel where hopefully more will happen.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 7, 2017 4:11 AM

Aug 2013
Not a bad ending and overall it was a good series.

Nov 16, 2017 11:25 AM

Apr 2013
This show started off weak and ended weak. No character I'm particulary fond of, very generic protagonist and antagonists. I feel like even that number is too low for the enjoyment I got out of it, but I don't feel like giving it even less either so... 3/10
Mar 30, 2018 6:47 AM

Jul 2015
I really do love this entire series, just finished re-watching it on Blu-Ray and was so good :) Can't remember why Kanzaki is missing though, will have to jump onto Season 2 again in time for Season 3's release :D
Apr 5, 2018 10:46 PM
Nov 2012
Series is rather generic. Don't quite understand the hype. Was alright in the middle but Toma just sucks as a character. Never quite commits to an arc or an idea. Doesn't offer many satisfying payoffs.
Apr 22, 2018 6:59 AM

Sep 2017
I likeed how Last Order stayed by Accelerator despite having no prior knowledge of him due to the 7 day memory wipe incident. Shows that they were destined to be with each other.

Misaka, bending down to get something in a bathroom is a REALLY BAD IDEA. Especially if you are with someone like Kuroko. But it was quite funny.

Laura Stewart makes an appearance. Wonder what will happen next.

To me, Accelerator and Last Order were obviously the best parts of Index, along with its soundtrack and sci-fi concepts(The first couple of episodes in the Deep blood arc were cool too.). The magical concepts, not so much. 9/10. But I think I will continue with the light novel from now on.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Oct 15, 2018 1:02 AM

Dec 2012
Should I watch rail gun now or go straight for Season 2?!

Oct 17, 2018 7:21 PM

Apr 2014
GosuGian said:
Should I watch rail gun now or go straight for Season 2?!

Honestly, you can just read the wiki if you want to jumo to season 3. I mean Season 2 is pretty bad as anime goes. Railgun is anime-only friendly, but its filled with Cute Girls Doing Cute Things filler, positive side is that its entry friendly, with clear "bad guy/good guy". With Index, you really have to be into Conspiracy, Absurdity, and Occultism, plus being a bit autistic and really REALLY into Aleister Crowley and Insane rambling from 19th century. At the basic level, Kamachi expect his reader to at least know what is "Thelema".

You can skip season 2 and move to season 3, since that is suppose to wrap up the first entry of the possible Toaru Index Trilogy.
"You had no free will, you chased your vices along the same path as all of the others." - Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, Diamond in the rough
Oct 30, 2018 8:47 AM

Dec 2014
so what was that with the finale...leaves you hanging with a lot of questions
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

angel999 - Oct 25, 2008

157 by whitebeartigtig »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

angel999 - Oct 18, 2008

159 by whitebeartigtig »»
Yesterday, 2:30 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

angel999 - Oct 11, 2008

204 by whitebeartigtig »»
Yesterday, 2:01 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Davison - Oct 4, 2008

230 by whitebeartigtig »»
Yesterday, 1:15 PM

» So, Where is Index 4?

BerriesSan - Apr 14

2 by BerriesSan »»
Apr 15, 9:12 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.