Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Nov 10, 2018 11:16 AM
Jun 2016
15/10 had me in tears
Dec 18, 2018 2:00 AM

Nov 2011
Wow, for one of the most popular anime out there, I just couldn't get into it, the best part of the show for me was the Accelerator episodes when the usual cast didn't show up.

I found it very difficult to follow, it tries so many times to explain plot and events with vanacular and terminology relating to its world, and once you don't know what these words mean it's impossible to keep up, no idea why they don't keep things simple. Still have no idea the difference between magicians and espers.

It just tries too hard to be unique and forgets to carry along the viewers. 6.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Feb 26, 2019 3:14 AM

Aug 2017
Better than I expected it. At least, Touma didn't end up lying in the hospital bed again lmao.

Kazakiri saving Index was great! So, we know why Sherry doesn't want that both the magic and science sides get together. That dude in the tube (Aleister Crowley) lured her into Academy City. His plan seems to be interesting. In the other side, it was nice to see Accelerator for a last time.

Touma was a good MC, I didn't find him annoying.

I think that this season was mostly an introduction to the world and characters.

Overall, first and second arc were rushed, third arc was bad, fourth was average and fifth and sixth were good. So, 6/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 12, 2019 7:04 AM
Jan 2019
What a good anime! Direct to my list of favorite animes. It made me laugh a lot with the crazy characters and get excited with every moment in which Touma decided to help people. And what about the fights, nothing bad. I liked. I became fond of the characters and my heart melted every time I saw the kittens: Sphinx and the black kitten ❤. A for the second season.
Mar 30, 2019 4:02 PM
Aug 2013
I totally loved seeing the story and action getting animated. and even if it's a bit cliche but I felt that Touma in the last arc was so cool than he was in the novel xD
Overall a very good adaptation
Jul 19, 2019 3:25 PM

May 2018
The show gives a different vibe compare to the other anime and I liked it. It's just the show is not too entertaining but it is good, I just feel the show is somehow has a boring vibes.

Aug 20, 2019 1:06 PM
Dec 2018
This is the animest anime that I have ever seen. It has almost every trope and cliche in the book. But how the story utilized them was fun, and it uses strategy more than you'd think from an anime like this. The character designs were extremely cliche but the way they interacted was interesting especially Mikoto Misaka. Some of the drama was just out right cringe though. The ending arc felt painful to watch because of its drama, which knocked it down a rank.

6/10, could've got 7/10.
Sep 2, 2019 11:22 PM

Nov 2013
I enjoyed seeing these arcs animated, but I probably would have enjoyed them a lot less had I not read the novel first. Pacing is rushed in all arcs besides the first one, a lot of exposition is left out as well as Touma's internal monologues and motivations. Animation is decent though and sound effects are pretty good and help recreate the atmosphere I'm familiar with from the novel.

I give it a 6/10
Jan 14, 2020 11:42 PM

Jan 2020
Good series. 7/10

I watched Accelerator series before Index.
I finally know the reason why Accelerator is a bad guy and why he got shot in the head.
Mar 6, 2020 9:18 AM

Aug 2018
Well, not a bad last episode.. Hyouka's arc end is closed well, I'd say.. And some teases awaits for us in the future..
Overall, I don't know, how I feel about these series.. First episodes, when there was development between Index and Touma were just fantastic.. I ship them enormously from that time, it was just so touching and wholesome.. But rest of the series, I think, lacked Index.. I think they needed to include more of her.. But they included lots of arcs of very many characters, it feels.. I think it at the same time creates feeling of it being too fast, and too slow.. As in too fast, that a lot of characters get introduced, and a lot of things are told about them, some things about their backstory and personality.. But also slow, because it seems that these characters are maybe a bit undeveloped.. I think in the end, with time, I will enjoy characters more and more, series is certainly constructed to be long running one, with a lot of things not revealed, as well as characters developing randomly at times..
In the end, only for beginning episodes with more focus on Index I'd say it's satisfying show.. Beginning was just too great, really.. Other episodes were alright, I guess.. More time really is needed for all the characters they introduce.. In the end, I still feel that I got a feeling in the beginning of anime, which I'm not getting every day, or which I'm not getting in every anime.. So just for that wonderful feeling, I'll give anime a high score.. But also feel that other characters need to get more screen time, as well as Index could show more as well, this part being called after her.. ;P Overall, a nice anime, in the end.. I might pick up more in the future, especially as I heard that next Railgun is more focused on slice of life, what is really needed for this show, really, I feel.. To grow to like, feel and understand characters better.. But maybe in the future.. ;p
Jul 12, 2020 8:17 AM
Tyrant

Aug 2018
I feel like Railgun (season) has a deeper story than Index, but Railgun somewhat more boring...
Final battle
Railgun> Index

I still think Idex is better tho
Oct 26, 2020 2:32 PM
Nov 2018
aim diffuser girl disappears, at least she made friends. overall season 1 is kinda boring. i dig the concepts of the show, but man does it feel dragged out in certain parts. having come from railgun to this, i dunno what to think. will take a break before starting season 2
Nov 9, 2020 7:16 AM

Jan 2017
It takes 3 TOUMAN PUNCHES to defeat Sherry, bravo to her 👏

When I first watched this a few years ago I was intrigued by the concept of the Science vs Magic faction and the various characters that make up this interesting world, but after reading the first 6 LN vols and then rewatching this again makes the show seemed quite weak. Toaru's strong point is its worldbuilding, which JC cant quite nail it.

While it's a good show on it's own, I'm dropping my score from 8 to a 6 now since it's just a "decent" adaptation

If I were to rank the arcs...

Great

• Index arc
  • Accelerator saving Last Order

Good

• Angel Fall
  • Kazakiri arc
  • Sisters arc

Meh

• Touma pretend dating Misaka arc(?)
  • Deep Blood
FragmantLemonNov 11, 2020 1:37 AM
Nov 14, 2020 12:55 PM

Mar 2020
season 1 was good, but not on the same level as the Railgun spin-off. One of the things that sort of ruined my enjoyment of this series were the characters, some of them really suck. Index acts like an ungreatful bitch half the time, specially during the Hyoka arc where the only thing she does is constantly abuse Touma for no reason at all, I really hate the character archetype which only trait is to make the MC's life a living hell. Hyoka is the worst character easily, she is the definition of a non-character, nothing more than a tool to advance the plot. Touma is not a bad character but he is very predictable and can be boring at times, other than that he is a good MC with a heart of gold.

The deep blood arc was unnecesary, you can skip it and nothing of importance will be lost. I found the science side of Index way more interesting and entertaining than its magic counterpart.

The sisters arc and Accelerator's arc easily carry this show, without I would have lowered the score by 1 or 2 points. The show is way more interesting when Touma is not the main focus and we get the POV of other characters. I found Accelerator's sacrifice very endearing.

7/10
Nov 20, 2020 12:05 AM

Sep 2018
A strange/difficult one to rate if I'm being honest, I think it was slightly too convoluted and sporadic with the story and the little arcs, but I did somewhat enjoy most of it. I enjoyed the side characters more than the main duo. 7/10. Plenty of sequels/spin offs which has me quite interested...
Mar 19, 2021 6:16 AM

Apr 2019
was okay overall, that girl from the church with ellis wasn't convincing.

Misaka and Misaka 20001 saved this show, 3/10.

May 1, 2021 3:41 AM

Jan 2008
So I really wanted to like this show as I tend to have a soft Spot for light novel Adaptions. So I thought I would love Index. But this just didn't grow on me.
I found Touma to be an Amazing lead character, I loved Him.
But Apart from that, The memory loss thing came way too Early for me to really be shocked about and didn't have such a big impact since we as Audience had Barely Gotten to know anything about Touma or his relationship with Index at this point. I was also missing a greater plot Progression as it felt like Several Individual Arcs that Were only loosely connected...the final episode didnt feel like a finale either.

7/10 for me. Will keep Watching the spin offs/sequels and see.

Oct 27, 2021 2:33 PM

May 2008
8/10 for me
Enjoyable, cute when needed, thought provoking but so many wasted opportunities. That whole memory loss thing, it could have been quite a story line, it could have been the whole season, but it was ignored and only mentioned when needed. How do you forget about a loss of memory?

Oh yeah! Right.
Mar 16, 2022 4:46 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Well this was ok, guess maybe I'll get answers in the sequels bcs I didnt rly understand much overall :D

May 12, 2022 5:34 AM
Oct 2019
Touma really is the real One Punch Man lol

Okay Bitter Sweet Ending
6/10

i'm watching the released order, so next is Toaru Kagaku no Railgun
Aug 10, 2022 2:20 PM
Aug 2022
It was more than I expect
Aug 18, 2022 3:42 AM
Aug 2022
Can someone please tell me which episodes in this season does Accelorator appear? And also in season 2 and 3?
Aug 18, 2022 4:30 AM

Jan 2021
Crazyanime030 said:
Can someone please tell me which episodes in this season does Accelorator appear? And also in season 2 and 3?

If you're interested only to Accelerator and if I remember right he appears in:
Index I: 10,11,12,14,19,20
Index II: 7,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24
Index III: 3,4,5,6,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26
Oct 16, 2022 3:11 AM

Dec 2020
Well I liked it but did not love it. MC is generic but isn't a wimp so that's something. Lots of unanswered questions and it seems like this series acts as a huge set up for different characters since there's so many different shows.

Also to characterize Touma and his fights. He's like a warrior who's spell immune and just punches a room full of wimpy mages who can only fight with spells. He's not that buff looking. But as soon as he figures out the spells, he cancels them and then just punches away cause the opposition doesn't know how to usually.
Jan 10, 2023 11:52 PM

Mar 2016
Made for quite the bittersweet ending, although it is different knowing that Hyouka will actually be by Index's side and could possibly return if she has the power to materialise again.

As a first season, even as a 2 cour this left a lot of questions. It set up so many things without any really being concluded except for very minor side parts. Good if the viewer has been hooked on the Academy City world, but a bit bad since it has resulted in a lot of story splitting i.e. further Index, Railgun, and Accelerator. Hoping the later seasons get more focused on their specific areas and don't get even roader than they already have. Juggling too many side stories at once would be problematic.

Anyway. On to Accelerator for my chronological watch order :D
Jun 20, 2023 9:31 PM
Jun 2023
fun characters but story seemed a little aimless
Jul 4, 2023 12:27 PM

Jun 2017
For all the hype revolving To Aru for more than a decade the first season is disappointing to say the least.Neither a full fledged teenage flick nor a well concised storyline having a creative immersion for the viewers .
Nov 5, 2023 11:00 AM
May 2020
the end to a pretty enjoyable season
Nov 20, 2023 3:11 PM

Nov 2023
This was honestly a good anime. I had fun watching it!
Mar 27, 8:18 PM
Feb 2020
I really enjoyed the show
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

» So, Where is Index 4?

BerriesSan - Apr 14

2 by BerriesSan »»
Apr 15, 9:12 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

AkariChan - Feb 5, 2009

155 by 8iman »»
Jan 14, 3:53 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 29, 2008

205 by DebiPS »»
Jan 11, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Index - probably the most annoying character ever. ( 1 2 )

Rodaa - Jan 24, 2014

74 by Kayfee »»
Dec 6, 2023 11:04 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

id - Jan 15, 2009

191 by karrotStick »»
Nov 28, 2023 2:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.