Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 22, 2014 12:15 AM

Nov 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
And Mana's Not Excellent Spotlight Hogging Adventures continue.

By this point in every other Cure show all the sub-villains had been defeated for real, even in Suite and Smile. Nope, everyone is around. I bet Bel won't even die next episode, Mana will purify him with a nonsense speech and no real fight. Again, this is a fighting show, not a talking show. Oh, and "evil minion takes the essence of the bad guy and becomes the real final boss" is what Smile did, slightly different but still.

Okay, so technically there was some fighting, but against random grunts and other than showing off a couple cool moves it wasn't that special. But they used ROSETTA BALLOON, ABOUT TIME! Too bad it looks freaking nothing like the other usage of it, so it comes like they just wanted a random excuse for giant Lance to be a thing. And it was useless in a fight too, Bonk headbutt aside.

Also, Mana, the elephant in the room. Of course the plan to save the king is hers, why would one of his semi-daughters come with it, Mana is the one that does it. She also gives up her identity like an idiot and no one has a problem, in fact that makes people somehow love her even more. I swear if Mana said she pooped rainbows she'd actually poop them. To be fair I don't see how it could be a problem, but I can't shake the feeling if any of the girls had done that, even Makoto, the reactions would be just shock and not "Wow, you're the awesomest" like Mana got. And speaking of Mana bias she of course is the one that does most of the work in getting the king back and defending him and giving terrible speeches we're all tired of at this point. And the other girls call her name when they sacrifice themselves, of course. Because Mana is the most important person in the world. Finally she's the only one show in the preview transformed into the super-form they would have got about a few episodes ago in every other series. While Suite only showed Hibiki in a preview and then everyone got the form anyway, I fear they're really only handing Mana the upgrade because Mana. I doubt it, but after 48 episodes of Mana nonsense it's a possibility.

Finally, the defense for the king is family love isn't bad and thus he wasn't selfish. Duh, we all thought that and it's really obvious after seeing Regina change sides. Big shocking speech there. I don't expect a show for kids to go into the moral balancing of Daughter Vs. Kingdom, but they shouldn't pretend they're deep and then become more shallow than a puddle. And again his daughters should have said that, Mana and her perfect family where she lives with both her parents and has no issues has no bearing here. Also arguing love empowers you and then having Good Regina be the least competent fighter and need to be rescued muddles the message, but I guess they wanted us to know the girls all appreciate Regina, presumably because Mana does. Mana.
Jan 22, 2014 8:38 AM

Aug 2012
I loved gigantic Lance, I almost fell from my chair laughing.
Jan 22, 2014 1:48 PM
Sep 2011
Anyone remember waaay back in episode... 18 or so when Mana and Regina had that conversation in the ice cave? Mana was like "We're gonna go talk to your father and convince him to stop being evil!"

Everyone thought it was the dumbest thing in the world. Now look what happened.

Also, around that same time I called that Bel would be the final FINAL villain, rather than King Selfish. I kinda expected him to do something more dramatic though, like killing King Selfish like he did those other two guys.

The amount of "Mana is the center of the universe" in this episode was kind of nauseating, especially when every Cure who's not her or Ace gets left behind. At least they all got great moments on their own.

This show I swear to god. Why why WHY does it make me adore Regina to death despite how horribly her character has been handled?

One more to go, and then I'm freer than a swimming pool full of bishounens.
Jan 24, 2014 3:33 AM

Oct 2011
It wasn't bad at all... to be quick
- liked that they went with everyone watching fight, somehow better than Precure fighting bad guys while no one is around. I only wonder how many people died during this (probably none but interesting idea)
- big Lance was adorable, made no sense but it was sweet
- Mana saving the universe, I never expected that to happen :D but scene when Diamond is "sacrificing" herself was well made - on the other side: how was he able to use his beam when without burning her I do not know
- Bel is big bad, how creative but I was expecting it and am not dissapoint.

In the end I did like this episode, at least they don't cry :P
Jan 24, 2014 2:11 PM

Jul 2012
This episode was so Mana-centric that if BBCode was working I'd add that attention hog to my least favorites list.

I know people think that Nagisa hogging the attention in Futari wa was bad, but there were only two cures in Futari wa so it made more sense that the attention would have a noticeable attention shift on one certain character. (Plus Nagisa was, imo, likeable, got shit done, and had a freaking personality outside of SAVE EVERYONE)

In DokiDoki there's no excuse. You have 5 girls and tons of time to shift the focus on each and every girl without letting one totally overshadow all the others. Let the girls have reasons to fight besides the bland main heroine. Smile did it. Yes 5 did it. Why can't DokiDoki? Oh yeah, because Mana is the fucking queen of everything and is the only one worthy of attention.

Also, there's this screencap which shows Mana in her upgrade form and NONE OF THE OTHER CURES IN THEIRS.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/fa14444a50188b68a5de7e2d1119c688/tumblr_mzo0k5Q2ke1qc2u5zo1_400.jpg

It's an official screencap from the Daishi TV website too. So fuck everything. Fuck Mana and fuck this Precure season and if Hachapre decides to pull the 'only the main character is important' BS, at least make Megumi have a personality and be likeable. Or, you know, don't pull it at all.
Jan 24, 2014 2:24 PM

Nov 2008
ihateeveryone said:
This episode was so Mana-centric that if BBCode was working I'd add that attention hog to my least favorites list.

I know people think that Nagisa hogging the attention in Futari wa was bad, but there were only two cures in Futari wa so it made more sense that the attention would have a noticeable attention shift on one certain character. (Plus Nagisa was, imo, likeable, got shit done, and had a freaking personality outside of SAVE EVERYONE)

In DokiDoki there's no excuse. You have 5 girls and tons of time to shift the focus on each and every girl without letting one totally overshadow all the others. Let the girls have reasons to fight besides the bland main heroine. Smile did it. Yes 5 did it. Why can't DokiDoki? Oh yeah, because Mana is the fucking queen of everything and is the only one worthy of attention.

Also, there's this screencap which shows Mana in her upgrade form and NONE OF THE OTHER CURES IN THEIRS.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/fa14444a50188b68a5de7e2d1119c688/tumblr_mzo0k5Q2ke1qc2u5zo1_400.jpg

It's an official screencap from the Daishi TV website too. So fuck everything. Fuck Mana and fuck this Precure season and if Hachapre decides to pull the 'only the main character is important' BS, at least make Megumi have a personality and be likeable. Or, you know, don't pull it at all.

This. The whole thing. Just adding a few notes:

-If you mean in the "About me" part in your profile BBCode works for that.

-Nagisa wasn't even that bad in the first series, only in Max Heart and the first movie. Even then she was nothing compared to Mana and was a lot better as a character so agreed.

-Smile had some issues too like Nao getting shafted in her episodes while Miyuki had two extra ones and Yes had the first movie playing up Nozomi x Coco like mad while Komachi x Nuts was treated like a joke if not ignored at all, but overall they weren't nowhere as bad as this so agreed indeed. Even Suite, IMO the next worst show in terms of Pink Cure Bias, didn't favor Hibiki as much, and we're talking about someone who got her first upgrade in a Kanade episode.

-Let's just hope that screencap means "Mana transforms first, then the others pull it because Mana did" because as lame that would be is STILL ages better than only Mana getting it.

-Megumi is oficially described as being clumsy when trying to help others so at least she's not looking like a flawless Mana Sue. Time will tell, of course.
Jan 24, 2014 3:06 PM

Oct 2011
ZettaiRyouiki said:
This. The whole thing. Just adding a few notes:

-If you mean in the "About me" part in your profile BBCode works for that.

-Nagisa wasn't even that bad in the first series, only in Max Heart and the first movie. Even then she was nothing compared to Mana and was a lot better as a character so agreed.

-Smile had some issues too like Nao getting shafted in her episodes while Miyuki had two extra ones and Yes had the first movie playing up Nozomi x Coco like mad while Komachi x Nuts was treated like a joke if not ignored at all, but overall they weren't nowhere as bad as this so agreed indeed. Even Suite, IMO the next worst show in terms of Pink Cure Bias, didn't favor Hibiki as much, and we're talking about someone who got her first upgrade in a Kanade episode.
Black was bad in Max Heart? Sure she was main character, Luminous came in, while White was pushed even more into background - and as much as I like Honoka I can understand it, she was rather boring. Nagisa was just fun to watch because of her flaws.

I am glad they didn't follow Komachi x Nuts - she was fine but he had personality of a brick for most of the time. There was also Urararara x Syrup but they killed it quickly.
But I must say that GoGo was somehow similar to DokiDoki. In most cases it was X has a problem --> enemy appears --> Nozomi says something that makes no sense but allows to solve the issue. Difference would be the fact that those are problems of other people (DDP had everything about Mana) and girls have personality outside "I am friend/rival of Mana" (except Rin but she got better).

After some description about next season there is hope for improvement - cute/clumsy Megumi, shy/spoiled Hime looks like good combination.
Jan 24, 2014 3:34 PM

Nov 2008
Dalek-baka said:
Black was bad in Max Heart? Sure she was main character, Luminous came in, while White was pushed even more into background - and as much as I like Honoka I can understand it, she was rather boring. Nagisa was just fun to watch because of her flaws.

I am glad they didn't follow Komachi x Nuts - she was fine but he had personality of a brick for most of the time. There was also Urararara x Syrup but they killed it quickly.
But I must say that GoGo was somehow similar to DokiDoki. In most cases it was X has a problem --> enemy appears --> Nozomi says something that makes no sense but allows to solve the issue. Difference would be the fact that those are problems of other people (DDP had everything about Mana) and girls have personality outside "I am friend/rival of Mana" (except Rin but she got better).

After some description about next season there is hope for improvement - cute/clumsy Megumi, shy/spoiled Hime looks like good combination.

Honestly it felt like every other Max Heart episode was about Nagisa in some way or another, while Honoka barely was allowed to do anything. Then again, I always felt the friends were poorly spread in that show: Nagisa had Akane, Rina and Shiho, and then Maki and Megumi, while Honoka just had Yuriko and Fuji P. and he served more as Nagisa's love interest anyway. That's a bad start.
EDIT: Check the episode descriptions here and look at how many are "Nagisa does this" or "Nagisa didn't do that" and how few are about Honoka. Apparently "Futari" doesn't mean "Two people" for Toei.

But that's not an excuse for literally the one scene about Komachi x Nuts in the whole movie to be Komachi pushing Nuts away from a convex mirror because she didn't want to see him fat. It made their couple look shallow when it was anything but. I remember especially the part when they save Coco and Nuts and Nozomi jumps to grab Coco while Nuts "comically" falls over Milk while Komachi doesn't even show particular relief from her boyfriend being safe. Laaaaame. Yeah, GoGo like MH played the "Pink" Cure more than the original, but like MH the "Pink" Cure was likable and the rest of the cast was good so it still worked.

Agreed, Hime on particular sounds very interesting!
ZettaiRyouikiJan 24, 2014 3:37 PM
Jan 25, 2014 7:20 PM

Dec 2011
ihateeveryone said:

Even though Doki Doki is my 4th favourite Precure series I have to agree with this because I am also bothered with the Mana bias in this series. To be honest I'm confused on why Toei wanted to pay attention to Mana that much because of the way the team is formatted. I wouldn't be bothered by this if Mana was the only cure in Doki Doki or something.
MitsukiHimekaJan 25, 2014 7:23 PM
Jan 27, 2020 8:24 PM

Jul 2017
New post on an old thread but I personally loved this episode. There were so many jaw dropping moments for me, and it's one of the better precure finales I've seen. I don't get why everyone dislikes it when Mana's the focus of the episode. This IS the finale and she IS the main character after all. I for one was shocked when she didn't single-handedly defeat the Big Bad (though from the looks of the next episode, it seems like that'll be the case) and I liked that each character got to fulfill their narrative arc.

Alice had a goofy, OP climax which, tonally, fits her perfectly. Rikka got to be the sparrow to Mana's prince, and unleash a great final attack (I also really like that the writers, despite deciding to scrap the romance between her and Ira, do make sure that they interact differently than the rest of the villains and Precure do. He seems genuinely concerned for her wellbeing, and not just like he wants to stop her for the sake of ~completing his mission~ or whatever.) Makoto's battle paralleled the way we met her at the very beginning of the series, and then got to swoop in and save the day.

The next episode is going to be heartbreaking for me. If you don't hate Mana, which I never did, then the series is way more engaging and enjoyable.
Jun 6, 2021 1:25 PM
Feb 2018
As others said, a very Mana bias episode, but lets go more in depth.

Episode opens with Mana wanting to do "stupid thing" which isn't super stupid actually, just risky. And the Cure's response was "we can't stop you." What do you mean you can't stop her? What's stopping you from stopping her? Maybe think of a different solution first. Then Mana proceeds to reveal her identity openly. She said it with the intention for it to be heard, for what exactly? Up until now they went through lengths to keep their identities a secret, then now they just throw all that away. Why aren't the others mad at her? Then when the citizens found out, they zoomed in on this guy, I've read on tvtropes before, I think Mana is his love interest? But here's the thing, do we even know who he is? Does anyone and us viewers acknowledge his presence even? Why was he made special for that scene like he had some sort of built up relationship with Mana.

Alice's father and Sebastian cheering them on was pretty funny. Ira and Diamond got special interactions so that was nice. Of course all of a sudden every Cure is now OP and competent when the plot needs them to be. Just some episodes ago the 5 of them would be struggling to fight off one single Jikochu. Now they power up and take on an army with some effort. Regina seemed to have gotten nerfed, Glaive not looking so strong now. Cure Rosetta Reflection did amazing this episode, but there was like no build up to this. Since when was she able to create a Giant Lance? Looks pretty useful too though, sure it didn't put up a fight against King Jikochu but it acted as a shielding wall as well as an opening to enter him.

Actually I'd say all the "background character Cures" did amazing this episode. Rosetta set up and stalled using Giant Lance (that even managed to land a hit on King). Diamond sacrifices herself to stop Jikochus from going further, really the Swallow to the Happy Prince. Sword put up a good fight against the Jikochu army on her own and still rushed in to save Heart. Good to see her actually being competent like she's supposed to be, she has been doing this for longer. Her kingdom was destroyed by the Jikochus, it's great to have her finally defeat them on her own. Now she's able to protect her kingdom better since she's much stronger. Now I just have one tiny issue, why were they all calling Mana's name? You do realize this is Regina/Aguri/Ai's father right? If you aren't going to call their names instead, just say "everyone" instead of "Mana".

At the very least, it was Regina, Ace and Ai that pulled King out. But of course Mana had to do her speech and gets a crazy boost. Sword rescuing her was a neat addition. Shows Heart can't win on her own and still needs help. Sword doing the last blow to King was also amazing, these were the ones that destroyed her home.

Yay they won the fight, now there is A LOT OF EXPLAINING TO DO. Of course everyone runs to Mana. Rikka is vice president did you all forgot? Regina runs to Mana instead of her father, of course. Bel is finally number one! At least this didn't come as a surprise, he has been chasing this for many episodes.

From the preview, looks very Mana focused again. Heart is in pain! Wonder what Bel is doing, probably trying to turn her into a Jikochu. Also Heart will probably be the only one that receives the upgrade, making her stronger than Ace. Ah wells. I know she's the main character but there should be some in-universe explanation for why she gets everything.
Aug 16, 2021 1:42 AM

Feb 2020
Mana is literally the best girl.

As I expected, Bel is going to be the final boss.

More topics from this board

Poll: » DokiDoki! Precure Episode 35 Discussion

ZettaiRyouiki - Oct 12, 2013

14 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:25 PM

Poll: » Dokidoki! Precure Episode 27 Discussion

Kaengel - Aug 4, 2013

20 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Nov 21, 2023 3:12 PM

Poll: » Dokidoki! Precure Episode 23 Discussion

symbv - Jul 6, 2013

31 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Nov 19, 2023 11:39 PM

Poll: » Dokidoki! Precure Episode 22 Discussion

FrozenLilith - Jun 29, 2013

29 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Oct 14, 2023 3:13 PM

Poll: » Dokidoki! Precure Episode 4 Discussion

symbv - Feb 23, 2013

27 by Archer2 »»
Jul 11, 2023 5:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.