3It was OK
11.0%
2Disliked it
1.4%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 4.4
73 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 19, 2014 8:48 AM
Aug 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Power-copy! Maho's power is amazing! Saki asserts her power though...and a second attempt to do rinshan kaihou fails.

I'm glad we get to see more of "Subara" in their flashback. I'm glad they dedicated almost 2 episodes to redoing the training camp arc.
Jan 19, 2014 8:58 AM

Nov 2011
Yay finally matches are here well training wise.

Nice combos.

I hope all the girls are ready for the actual matches especially Mihoko. Oh and she prepared bento too! Nodoka seems pretty confident though. Wahahaha
Jan 19, 2014 10:54 AM

Dec 2011
"They're so big, I couldn't get past"

What a great thing to say to someone you meet for the first time.

Chibi ending.

Next time, mahjong time. You show them, Yuuki.

And that press commentator was dragged away despite getting a memo to pay special attention to Kiyosumi AND despite the spectacular victory in round 1.

That pro is great.
kuuderes_shadowJan 19, 2014 11:10 AM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 19, 2014 11:09 AM

Jul 2009
Yeah!

Unlimited Tacos Works next week!
bruh
Jan 19, 2014 11:34 AM

Nov 2009
Hrm, a younger version of Nodoka, Kirame, Yuuki, and Maho all in one episode. I see now, so this is how they looked as a group when they were in middle school together. Hiroko barely has any presence though as usual for a supporting character... XD
Jan 19, 2014 11:41 AM

Aug 2010
The pacing still feels terrible, but Achiga suffered from the same problem in the first couple of episodes, maybe now that the matches are starting things will pick up. They introduced some cool and likable characters, looking forward to see how they will use them. And Saki is...disappointingly underwhelming herself. 3/5.
Jan 19, 2014 11:46 AM

Dec 2008
I feel like I'm forgetting something...
Nodoka, Yuuki & Kanbara went to the same school as kids?

OMFG! JEALOUS MOMO! Too cute <3
Jan 19, 2014 12:16 PM

Dec 2011
sarroush said:
I feel like I'm forgetting something...
Nodoka, Yuuki & Kanbara went to the same school as kids?

Kanbara? You mean Kirame, right? Because yes, they did - and I think it's been mentioned off-hand already in this season, but can't be bothered to check. It was definitely mentioned in Achiga, though.
(light spoiler for Achiga-hen)

And Momo is always cute adorable perfect.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 19, 2014 12:33 PM

May 2013
Maho's ability was interesting.

Nice to see a chibi ED. What tile to discard?

Serious mahjong next week so can't wait for that.
Jan 19, 2014 12:39 PM

Dec 2008
kuuderes_shadow said:

Kanbara? You mean Kirame, right? Because yes, they did - and I think it's been mentioned off-hand already in this season, but can't be bothered to check. It was definitely mentioned in Achiga, though.
(light spoiler for Achiga-hen)

And Momo is always cute adorable perfect.

Oh yeah, my bad. For a second there I thought WAHAHAHAHA & Subara were the same person :P
Jan 19, 2014 12:40 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I've always found it curious how they manage to find the most random casters for the tournaments all the time in Saki
Jan 19, 2014 12:43 PM
Jul 2013
The new chibi ED is clearly inspired by Takeshi's Castle. I approve.
Jan 19, 2014 12:44 PM

Dec 2011
Classiick said:
What tile to discard?

1 sou.

If you look at each tile as though it was the final unmatched tile you need in order to complete your hand, keeping the 1pin enables a 1/3pin wait, and keeping the 5man enables a 5/8man wait. The 1 sou only allows you to wait on EITHER the 2 sou OR the 1 sou. Not both.

Of course, it depends a bit on the situation (for example if you need extra yaku, there's a small chance of getting an ittsuu which requires you to keep the 1 sou, or if the discards indicate you should play differently then you obviously do). But all else being equal, I think it's fairly safe to claim the 1 sou as the best discard there.
Jan 19, 2014 12:44 PM

Oct 2012
Yuuki with a long skirt looks weird. Good thing she changed it to a shorter one :)

Love how Momo was jealous of the relationship between Hisa and Yumi XD And dat talk between Hisa and Fujita pro. lol.

TACOS POWER WILL NOW RULE THE GAME. LET THE TANOSHII BEGIN! :D :D

Jan 19, 2014 12:50 PM

Apr 2010
Poor Yuuki, that press guy said some pretty harsh things towards their team, it's almost ironic that the press doesn't pay much attention to any other players then Nodoka while many of the players are keeping on eye on Saki as well.
Makes you wonder if the press is blind or something like that.
It seems they made Yuuki pretty angry with there comments guess the press will be surprised at the end.
Jan 19, 2014 1:22 PM

May 2013
kuuderes_shadow said:
Classiick said:
What tile to discard?

1 sou.

If you look at each tile as though it was the final unmatched tile you need in order to complete your hand, keeping the 1pin enables a 1/3pin wait, and keeping the 5man enables a 5/8man wait. The 1 sou only allows you to wait on EITHER the 2 sou OR the 1 sou. Not both.

Of course, it depends a bit on the situation (for example if you need extra yaku, there's a small chance of getting an ittsuu which requires you to keep the 1 sou, or if the discards indicate you should play differently then you obviously do). But all else being equal, I think it's fairly safe to claim the 1 sou as the best discard there.

When I first looked at it, I thought the 5man would be best to discard, but definitely not the 1pin because of the convenient pair of 2pin in the hand. Two sided wait with the 1/3/5sou to complete a chi is nice so don't discard the 1sou either, I thought.

The character in the ED chose the 1pin though (and then fell into muddy water - wrong one?). Now that I look closer at it, it's probably a good choice too because of the extra fu from the pon (and possible kan) of 2pins, and then you can get into tenpai by completing that two sided 1/3/5sou chi or getting your pair from the 5/8man. Or even try to get that ittsuu you mentioned.
Jan 19, 2014 1:38 PM

Dec 2011
Classiick said:
kuuderes_shadow said:
Classiick said:
What tile to discard?

1 sou.

When I first looked at it, I thought the 5man would be best to discard, but definitely not the 1pin because of the convenient pair of 2pin in the hand. Two sided wait with the 1/3/5sou to complete a chi is nice so don't discard the 1sou either, I thought.

The character in the ED chose the 1pin though (and then fell into muddy water - wrong one?). Now that I look closer at it, it's probably a good choice too because of the extra fu from the pon (and possible kan) of 2pins, and then you can get into tenpai by completing that two sided 1/3/5sou chi or getting your pair from the 5/8man. Or even try to get that ittsuu you mentioned.

The 5 man is not an option unless you have a very good reason to discard it because:
a) It could give you a dora if you get the red 5.
b) A 5/8 wait is a nice wait to have in itself
c) you could draw the 4 man later to get an even better wait (3/6/9), or the 6 or 9 man enabling you to switch your wait to 4/7 if you want to, or a 7 man enabling you to switch your wait to 6/9 man. Neither of the other options have anything like this level of flexibility.
Jan 19, 2014 5:32 PM

Dec 2007
mianghuei said:
Power-copy! Maho's power is amazing! Saki asserts her power though...and a second attempt to do rinshan kaihou fails.
Not to mentiion Maho's try at Nodochhi is not helping here with her rankings.

kuuderes_shadow said:
Next time, mahjong time. You show them, Yuuki.

And that press commentator was dragged away despite getting a memo to pay special attention to Kiyosumi AND despite the spectacular victory in round 1.
Methinks Taco Belle should have asked for some spinach in her tacos if she knew this was going to be talked about as she made her way to the stage. She now probably is wanting to put a Popeye-inspired whooping on her opponents point totals.

HaXXspetten said:
I've always found it curious how they manage to find the most random casters for the tournaments all the time in Saki
So when do you think we'll see Hayari Mizuhara in the analysts chair? Or will she be presenting the championship trophy later on?

stardf29 said:
The new chibi ED is clearly inspired by Takeshi's Castle. I approve.
I approve too. ^_^
Jan 19, 2014 6:16 PM
Oct 2012
Aversa said:
... it's almost ironic that the press doesn't pay much attention to any other players then Nodoka while many of the players are keeping on eye on Saki as well.

I liked the next line the reporter said, "obviously Nagano had declined this year", so you can see that not only did he knock Kiyomizu, but also the other schools like Kazekoshi and Ryuumonbuchi.

I sort of wish that Kobayashi would cover the reporters a bit more to provide a little more setting to this show, but then again if that was done we would never get to the ending; but the attitude of the reporter was pretty standard, it is what all the Nagano reporters thought before they watched the prefecture tournament. That Nodaka is good, but nothing special, and her primary appeal is her figure.

As for the players "getting" it but the reporters not, one can think of basketball as an example. Players believe in luck and streaks and the like, but the reporters generally do not. In the first year remember the reporter who thought that what Amae did was mostly luck as well, with Fujita pro saying "I wish I could pretend those things didn't exist either". This is something only players sitting across from their opponents can pick up, the reporters are just reporting, they aren't experiencing.
Jan 19, 2014 6:57 PM

Oct 2012
sarroush said:
LOL, it is funny how Momo is still upset when the bus ready to go.

Next week Kugimiya Rie and Hayami Saori voice in one arena. Cuteness + awesomeness overload. Look forward to it~
Jan 19, 2014 8:28 PM

May 2013
Wait, I think this happened before but I don't remember well, but how old is Wahaha girl and why is she driving?
Jan 19, 2014 8:55 PM

Aug 2013
Mizusi said:
Wait, I think this happened before but I don't remember well, but how old is Wahaha girl and why is she driving?

IIRC, she's a senior so that makes her 17-18. The age requirement for Japan is 18 so yep that's about right.
- - -

I should pay more attention to the mahjong. I must admit I was busy watching the pairings this episode.

Momo getting jealous was so cute. I bet Kanbara was wahaha'ing in her head while watching them haha. Ikeda, why didn't you push Mihoko harder. So close >__<

Hisa blushes at what Yumi said, Mihoko enters to break the mood! I thought that scene was awesome. That camera angle too :) Of course Tsuruga won't leave without a single wahaha from the awesome Kanbara.

Hiroe the trash talker is finally introduced.

That ED is so adorable O___O And what makes it better is it's Takeshi's Castle-themed. I thought Mikakunin's ED was the most adorable...this beats it by a mile.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 19, 2014 10:49 PM

Sep 2013
haha it's gonna be a taco power overload next week!
i really hope yuuki's able to show 'em who's boss ><
Jan 19, 2014 10:50 PM
Aug 2013
ED Song look likes Takeshi Castle game show. but for me netsuretsu still best
more mahjong saki in next ep i hope
Jan 20, 2014 12:54 AM
Mar 2012
And let the games begin~
Jan 20, 2014 1:30 AM

Sep 2012
Behold the tacos power !
Jan 20, 2014 3:25 AM

Jan 2014
May the odds be ever in your favor.

Always looking forward for Mihoko x Hisa scene <3
Jan 20, 2014 7:03 AM

Aug 2010
Finally starting official matches

wahaha didnt know Hisa could react This way, loved it.
HakuroukenJan 20, 2014 7:09 AM
Jan 20, 2014 1:35 PM
Jan 2014
Momo's stay-away-from-my-yumi goodbye expression is epic!
http://s7.postimg.org/coeox8g1n/wp_ss_20140121_0003.png

Mihoko noticed that something was off about Hisa and opened her eye right away; just like a lover would, huh?
http://s28.postimg.org/dv4mqybgd/wp_ss_20140121_0002.png
Moarr Hisa x Mihoko moments please :3

The chibi ending is cute ;3

Looking forward to the Taco Power next week ^▽^)9
somniferumiaJan 20, 2014 1:40 PM
Jan 20, 2014 9:52 PM

Aug 2008
Epic match begins.

Subara being here makes this episode Subara.
Jan 21, 2014 12:10 AM

Jan 2011
Hisa is getting all the best girls...
Jan 24, 2014 7:52 PM

Mar 2008
klaymore said:
Hisa is getting all the best girls...
Well that follows logically as Hisa is the best girl.
Jan 24, 2014 9:20 PM

Sep 2009
Yuuki with a cape hahahah. Awesome.
Finally its starting! Can't believe it took 3 episodes to start -_-
The pros are all so weird hahah.
Jan 25, 2014 5:37 AM

Jul 2009
Ichigo Sasano gets animated! Zenkoku-hen is now perfect to me!
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Jan 25, 2014 10:52 PM

Jul 2012
Maho's copy power gives Saki a bit of a scare. Hisa is as great as always, being able to know exactly what the team needs.

Momo being jealous was cute to watch. I don't want Yumi x Hisa either xD
Hisa x Mihoko all the way!

Epic mahjong matches to start soon :3
You show them Yuuki.
Apr 24, 2014 7:10 AM

May 2012
This show's ED's <3 Pretty nice episode! Let's see what's next.
Aug 11, 2014 3:35 PM

Jan 2012
dat cape lol.. doesn't really fit on Yuuki imo
Oct 15, 2014 4:15 PM

Jun 2010
Dat chibi ending! I couldn't stop laughing because of the Takeshi's castle reference. Oh the nostalgia... ^^
Aug 14, 2016 4:55 PM

Feb 2013
A cape? It looks good. Also damn! The matches are about to start.
Aug 3, 2017 6:08 AM

Jul 2015
"They're so big, I couldn't get past", well, looks like Nodoka and Yuuki haven't changed since they first met, also, Subara!

Things are getting hype next episode with the attack of the Taco Prince! And let's not forget that the chibi ED is back, nice.
Mar 3, 2018 3:19 AM

Sep 2012
Aversa said:
Poor Yuuki, that press guy said some pretty harsh things towards their team, it's almost ironic that the press doesn't pay much attention to any other players then Nodoka while many of the players are keeping on eye on Saki as well.
It seems they made Yuuki pretty angry with there comments guess the press will be surprised at the end.

well it seems that got her fired up, more eager to win, & that's good, for a moment i thought it had opposite effect

but yes, this press guy's are morons

if their team wins i hope they humiliate this Press guys a bit (with truth & how lame & dumb their view is, the view that only top player is worth to film & interview) :)
Sugram22Mar 3, 2018 3:31 AM
Jan 11, 2019 6:24 AM

Dec 2010
Finally a Mahjong game, it took 3 episodes! Non-coincidentally this is the first good episode of the 13 we have for this cour, it really brought me back to what makes this title good. Hisa was totally awesome, I hate that we coldn't watch her style in the games that she won, but I know that it's for a reason.

I bet that Yuuki will be awesome next episode.
Aug 30, 2021 2:53 PM

Feb 2020
Yuuki's cape is pretty cute haha.

"Nom nom..." Taco power! xD She's so adorable.
Mar 31, 2022 6:27 PM

Dec 2015
One of the few things that I dislike about Saki is this barrage of new faces and school names. I still have trouble remembering the names of the Kiyosume main cast and they keep introducing new characters that may not be relevant after the match, but still hurts my head. Maybe I got an issue memorizing Japanese names.

More topics from this board

» What happened after the anime? Spoil me the whole thing

netobiker - Dec 9, 2023

2 by netobiker »»
Dec 9, 2023 5:40 AM

Poll: » Saki: Zenkoku-hen Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2014

39 by Meritas »»
Aug 25, 2023 3:35 PM

Poll: » Saki: Zenkoku-hen Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 9, 2014

36 by Meritas »»
Aug 24, 2023 12:43 PM

Poll: » Saki: Zenkoku-hen Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2014

38 by Destroyer31 »»
May 13, 2023 9:46 AM

Poll: » Saki: Zenkoku-hen Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2014

42 by Destroyer31 »»
May 13, 2023 7:54 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.