Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (15) « First ... « 13 14 [15]
Feb 14, 2012 1:37 AM

Oct 2011
would personally like to add berserk to this list - i just don't get why it gets so much love - seems like a third-rate robert e. howard rip-off - to each their own, i guess.......
Feb 14, 2012 1:41 AM

Oct 2011
AironicallyHuman said:
The most overrated? Why the highest rated, of course!

Berserk went a downhill descent after the eclipse and is now very much in JRPG territory. (To be precise, it started going not-so-great after the conviction arc, but the golden age arc stands alone.)

Urasawa's manga are as good as they are drawn out. He milks his stories for all they're worth; skilfully managing to keep his stories interesting without resorting to, say, shounen power-up type plot extensions. Can never work out if I like his work or not.

Sanctuary's political manliness quickly becomes a repetitive corruption > find weakness series, and it ending before the leads' dream of a sanctuary was completed made it seem all rather pointless. There's also the whole sexist 'give woman dick and she be happy for life/quit job as police chief' aspect.

Fullmetal Alchemist eventually reveals its true target demographic with Edward giving 'KILLING IS WRONG!' speeches, as well as saving baddies from themselves, and none of the romantic subplots ever leading to sex. A woman crafting a manga for a shounen magazine just can never end like you'd hope...

...etc, etc. Nothing is perfect and I can't say I agree with what sits at the top of the pile as far as averages go, on the whole, but there you go.
a little sexism there? ridiculous to say women can't write shonen manga - i would like to add takahashi as well as arakawa, who are both, in my opinion, amongst the truly great shonen mangaka (as well as other genres)..........would you also say men can't write shojo? what about osamu tezuka's ribbon no kishi?
octal9Feb 14, 2012 1:57 AM
Feb 14, 2012 1:46 AM

Mar 2009
Mirai Nikki.
Feb 15, 2012 7:07 AM

Jun 2007
"That's true for virtually every shounen manga ever created and for thousands of others as well. What kind of criticism is that?"

The criticism of a work that suggested it was at aimed at readers outside a 'young boy' demographic. With its alchemy + 'circle of life' theme and the aspects of life it touched upon, a person could be forgiven for believing FMA was an exception to the childish shounen rule. But, in the end, it shared the same exact flaws and limitations that make adults move towards seinen titles. Its greatest flaw is perhaps that its story was too mature to be classed as a shounen, yet it was treated as such regardless.

"a little sexism there? ridiculous to say women can't write shonen manga - i would like to add takahashi as well as arakawa, who are both, in my opinion, amongst the truly great shonen mangaka (as well as other genres)..........would you also say men can't write shojo? what about osamu tezuka's ribbon no kishi?"

Not sexist to state the obvious: female authors focus on the shoujo demographic (romance; bishies; sensitive emotional issues) where as male authors focus on the shounen demographic (fighting, ecchi comedy, coming-of-age manhoodliness). If anything it's the shounen and shoujo demographics that divide the sexes in such a way that are sexist.

There are exceptions to every rule and, certainly, there are females that prefer violence, as well as males that prefer romance. But we're not talking about the odd ones out; we're talking about the majority. And, whether because of a form of peer pressure or otherwise, most authors cater to their own genders needs.

As for Tezuka, using an ancient example that came from the pen of a man known for a sexist rape-equals-love undercurrent that flows through many of his works wasn't the best idea you'll ever have. Worthy of respect though he is, he lived through a Japan far more sexist socially than it is today, and that was reflected by his lack of understanding of females in his work.
Feb 15, 2012 9:50 AM

Aug 2007
octal9 said:
AironicallyHuman said:
The most overrated? Why the highest rated, of course!

Berserk went a downhill descent after the eclipse and is now very much in JRPG territory. (To be precise, it started going not-so-great after the conviction arc, but the golden age arc stands alone.)

Urasawa's manga are as good as they are drawn out. He milks his stories for all they're worth; skilfully managing to keep his stories interesting without resorting to, say, shounen power-up type plot extensions. Can never work out if I like his work or not.

Sanctuary's political manliness quickly becomes a repetitive corruption > find weakness series, and it ending before the leads' dream of a sanctuary was completed made it seem all rather pointless. There's also the whole sexist 'give woman dick and she be happy for life/quit job as police chief' aspect.

Fullmetal Alchemist eventually reveals its true target demographic with Edward giving 'KILLING IS WRONG!' speeches, as well as saving baddies from themselves, and none of the romantic subplots ever leading to sex. A woman crafting a manga for a shounen magazine just can never end like you'd hope...

...etc, etc. Nothing is perfect and I can't say I agree with what sits at the top of the pile as far as averages go, on the whole, but there you go.
a little sexism there? ridiculous to say women can't write shonen manga - i would like to add takahashi as well as arakawa, who are both, in my opinion, amongst the truly great shonen mangaka (as well as other genres)..........would you also say men can't write shojo? what about osamu tezuka's ribbon no kishi?

You could have picked a better example than Takahashi. Hoshino is shitloads better.
Feb 15, 2012 2:01 PM
Feb 2012
Naruto, totaly
Feb 18, 2012 8:31 AM
Nov 2011
I find Tsubasa to be over rated, it's a fun watch but I don't see why people call it "Godly" or something like that.

Bleach is overrated. They might as well ended after Aizen arc, everything felt pushed in.

Naruto is overrated. Shippuden was a lot better.

Vampire Knight (face palms to last week) I don't see what the fan girls see, but it's one of the most boring manga and anime I've watched and read.

But I chose Fairytail, the number of how many times Hiro disappointed me, how the character personalities are over used, too much Natsu spot light and power up and on and on. I don't see how people can considered to be part of the "Big 3"

Seriously, no matter how many fans disagreed with me. It's what I see.

One Piece starts out boring but turns out after a few arcs to be pretty good than awesome and so on and on.
So I'm guessing most people who voted for One Piece are either part of the "Big 3" war or haven't even passed Arlong Arc.
Or their opinions.

I love the "big 3" war. So much rages.
Feb 19, 2012 5:57 PM

Jan 2012
At least in Mangafox communities(besides shounen big 3):

1. Tenjou Tenge(not THAT popular one of the most debated)
2. Fairy Tail
3. Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
4. Deadman Wonderland
5. Mahou Sensei Negima!
---
Feb 20, 2012 5:59 AM

Sep 2011
I don't see Rosario to Vampire. I thought I'd check it because I liked the drawing style of the character designs. Even the drawing couldn't save the manga from generic story, bland characters and wimpy lead, same formula structure. I can see why it's popular but it's undeservedly so.
No way to recall
What it was that you had said to me
Like I care at all
But it was so loud
And you sure could yell
You took a stand on every little thing
And it was so loud
Pages (15) « First ... « 13 14 [15]

More topics from this board

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
1 hour ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
3 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
3 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Today, 4:50 AM

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

29 by Jutrio »»
Yesterday, 10:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.