Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 25, 2014 2:30 PM

Jan 2014
andun44 said:
In my opinion people just don't understand the show.

The ep 7 twist had the exact effect the show wanted to get. In normal toku/power ranger shows, you get monsters right off the bat. People get scared in those shows but the viewer is unfazed, he already knew what he was getting into and it wasn't a surprise. In Samurai Flamenco, the viewer is convinced he's watching a show about a guy who wants to be hero and his daily struggles to fight "evil" (robbers, people breaking the law, etc.). If you watch it as it airs, that's nearly 2 months watching a normal world, just like yours. If this were like power rangers, it would've been only 10 minutes, and you wouldn't be convinced it were a world just like yours. But over 2 months, you see it as a representation of your world, where monsters don't exist.

Then comes the end of episode 7. No one (and I'm talking about the viewers here) believed what they were seeing. How many of you thought it was a dream? Isn't this exactly what people (including the ones from power rangers shows) would go through if suddenly monsters started appearing?

To quote someone else, "You know how some people complain about 'Why aren't the authorities talking about these monsters?', 'Why isn't the media all over this?' in toku/power rangers shows, and the usual explanation is 'People don't want to accept things they don't understand, so they act like it isn't there' ? That's exactly what's going on with the viewerbase right now!" .

A last note, people also claim this show is just jumping the shark and having stupid twists in a desperate attempt to have more audience. That's not true. If you look at the promo art (which was around before the show aired), you'll see everything up to now was already planned. And wherever it goes from here, it's planned as well.

This is one of the more insightful posts I've seen in a while.
The summarized point is basically: people don't like when things deviate from their expectations. People are too concerned with what they expect the show to be rather than what it is.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 25, 2014 7:35 PM

Jul 2012
RedRoseFring said:
andun44 said:

The ep 7 twist had the exact effect the show wanted to get. In normal toku/power ranger shows, you get monsters right off the bat. People get scared in those shows but the viewer is unfazed, he already knew what he was getting into and it wasn't a surprise. In Samurai Flamenco, the viewer is convinced he's watching a show about a guy who wants to be hero and his daily struggles to fight "evil" (robbers, people breaking the law, etc.). If you watch it as it airs, that's nearly 2 months watching a normal world, just like yours. If this were like power rangers, it would've been only 10 minutes, and you wouldn't be convinced it were a world just like yours. But over 2 months, you see it as a representation of your world, where monsters don't exist.

Then comes the end of episode 7. No one (and I'm talking about the viewers here) believed what they were seeing. How many of you thought it was a dream? Isn't this exactly what people (including the ones from power rangers shows) would go through if suddenly monsters started appearing?

To quote someone else, "You know how some people complain about 'Why aren't the authorities talking about these monsters?', 'Why isn't the media all over this?' in toku/power rangers shows, and the usual explanation is 'People don't want to accept things they don't understand, so they act like it isn't there' ? That's exactly what's going on with the viewerbase right now!" .

A last note, people also claim this show is just jumping the shark and having stupid twists in a desperate attempt to have more audience. That's not true. If you look at the promo art (which was around before the show aired), you'll see everything up to now was already planned. And wherever it goes from here, it's planned as well.

The summarized point is basically: people don't like when things deviate from their expectations. People are too concerned with what they expect the show to be rather than what it is.

+1
Mar 25, 2014 9:35 PM
May 2012
mayukachan said:
+1

Is that what you really want to say? You disappoint me.
JafriZinMar 25, 2014 9:48 PM
Mar 26, 2014 3:45 PM

Apr 2013
RedRoseFring said:
andun44 said:

And this is why I've stuck with the show since the beginning. It indeed is weird what's going on, I give my screen weird looks all the time. I've wondered time and time again how everything fit into the story and if there is consistency. I personally think episode 18's ending gave me the most satisfaction for the show, and I would've been fine with it if it ended on that episode. But I can't deny that I love the ride. I obviously didn't watch any tokusatsu outside of Power Rangers and Godzilla and Gamera (now that I look it up), so while this anime feels like it's throwing things at us as random, it's enjoyable.

Is it perfect? Of course not, but it doesn't take away from the enjoyment for me. Sucks that people don't like the show, and I can see where they're coming from, but all that matters is how much you as the viewer enjoyed watching it. Even with the answers we got, I'm still scratching my head at what happened with episode seven, and I wouldn't have it any other way, honestly.

Though it would indeed be hilarious if the creators are trolling us. We need a good trolling every now and then.
Mar 27, 2014 10:33 AM

Nov 2011
RedRoseFring said:

To be fair, that wouldn't be an issue if the show in question was good.

I mean, some of the ideas that come up in the show are still good (Hazama's obsession for being a superhero harming his emotional development, for one). But the show got generally worse as it went on. Not necessarily during King Torture Arc, but definitely in Flamengers Arc. In the former, the show explored the nature of monster-a-week, people in high positions and in general reacting and adapting to the situation and had the villain call Mari out on her superhero act. There was next to none of that stuff in the latter arc.

Planned or not, I would have preferred a superhero show grounded in reality, which Samurai Flamenco more or less was before the twist. However, I also would have liked this show as it is, with supernatural elements, if it were as good as the first half. Which it isn't.
Mar 28, 2014 5:22 PM
Jul 2018
I thought it was severely underrated should of at least been in the 1000's I enjoyed the show especially when king torture said to that arrogant girl and said " I dont want the sidekick i want the hero"
Mar 30, 2014 11:56 AM

Sep 2013
This show has such ups and downs. When I think it's at an all time low, something happens in the end that makes me want to continue watching. Piques my interest. But the absurdity of some episodes was driving me crazy. Like, realism then fantasy, then back to realism, and back and forth. It's really funny. When an episode is ending, I'm honestly thinking "Okay, this is as far as I'm going to watch. I dont even know where to categorize this anime in my head. Why is the story so frustrating?" Then a cliff hanger moment happens at the end and I'm like, "Wtf? Where are they going with this? Okay, maybe one more episode..."

At least this show will keep you surprised as f###.
Apr 4, 2014 4:59 AM
May 2012
mbdsquad said:
Dude. You just killed yourself with your logic.

WHAT THE FUCK?! GOOD GOD NOT ANOTHER ONE!! This post makes me wanna fcuking kill myself. I speak my mind whatever I want for god's sake! Because this anime really gets me feelings!!

God, people on MAL nowadays are ruthless & stupid..... SIGH....
JafriZinApr 4, 2014 9:56 AM
Apr 10, 2014 8:10 PM
May 2012
I can't believe why am I the only one who've been obsessed with this show till I've been making such an excuses over some superhero stuff like that. I've been such a hard time for posting something in MAL forum but NOBODY cares.

SIGH.. god what ever is done it's done. Maybe I should've get on with my lives. Talked about havin a borderline obsession till you can't let go of things on your head.
Apr 10, 2014 8:18 PM

Jun 2012
mbdsquad said:
So you'll only love this show IF you're a fan of Tokusatsu series? So if more than 90% of watchers doesn't even know what Tokusatsu is (which I believe is true), then all the more reason for people to dislike and/or hate the show.

Dude. You just killed yourself with your logic.
The three largest sources of revenue in Japan happen to be tokusatsu. This is like claiming One Piece isn't as popular as Naruto or Bleach becuase of it's lack of foreign acclaim when even with worldwide matters taken into account it's still by far the most popular.

I'd say a safer estimate would be about 10% of viewers not knowing of tokusatsu before going into this series.
The series sold poorly in Japan regardless, no conjecture can accurately grasp the whims of Japanese viewers.
Apr 10, 2014 8:57 PM

Jul 2012
JeffreyZin said:
mayukachan said:
+1

Is that what you really want to say? You disappoint me.

LOL gomen
I just agree with it.
Apr 13, 2014 6:27 AM
May 2012
mayukachan said:
I just agree with it.

NOT an excuses.

I mean NO matter how bad/stupid the show was, I can't believe how this really gets me feelings till I've been makin such an excuses over bad writing, dumb character, weak plot & etc.
Apr 13, 2014 8:05 AM

Oct 2012
JeffreyZin said:
I can't believe why am I the only one who've been obsessed with this show till I've been making such an excuses over some superhero stuff like that. I've been such a hard time for posting something in MAL forum but NOBODY cares.

SIGH.. god what ever is done it's done. Maybe I should've get on with my lives. Talked about havin a borderline obsession till you can't let go of things on your head.

nobody gives a fuck on the internet! and dude, why are you so emotional? it's just a 2d show.
also before u start bitching again, i LIKE THIS SHOW! so please shut up okay... everybody has their own opinion, please don't force them to like the show.
ps: ur english's still very hard to understand.
Apr 13, 2014 8:36 PM
May 2012
zoze said:
dude, why are you so emotional? it's just a 2d show.
also before u start bitching again, i LIKE THIS SHOW! so please shut up okay... everybody has their own opinion, please don't force them to like the show.

1. Dude, This is MAL Forum. I don't care IF I wanna say whatever I want even though it's a comedy superhero anime like Tiger & Bunny but it's just that it really gets me feelings till I wanna overreact all the time in every episode (because it was so batshit crazy & can't let go!). IF I wanna move forward, those 'bad' stuff will build up on me without releasing any frustration. Hell, I see some other people like to throw something at the wall despite the HATE over psychopath villain (I bet you haven't seen Sword art online yet) who likes to make Main character miserable with so many RAGE comments according to their post. talk about havin an otaku issues like I said earlier. Despite the fact that I'm an autistic guy who've been curious over what just happened till I've been taking this anime very seriously anyway.

2. Like I said, English isn't my native language here in Malaysia. That's why my English is quite awful here. And who said that I forcing them to watch this show? No I didn't!

3. Please I hope the director of Bacanno! make a sequel of Flamenco. Because I wanna see Haiji psychopath turn into a next level in order to get revenge of the heroes!
JafriZinApr 13, 2014 10:02 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» This has to be one of the most misunderstood anime of all time, right?

lordgaara - Jun 16, 2023

7 by lordgaara »»
Jan 20, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2013

181 by lordgaara »»
Jul 16, 2023 9:15 PM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

299 by lordgaara »»
May 25, 2023 12:12 AM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2014

105 by lordgaara »»
May 24, 2023 11:14 PM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2014

123 by Attackonfiller »»
Nov 21, 2022 11:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.