Forum Settings
Forums

Anime that you couldn't wait to start watching it but then turn out rubbish?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 14, 2014 6:20 PM

Sep 2011
jnw93 said:

Blazblue [although iv only seen 1 episode]

BB- go play the game, they cram a combined 30 hours worth of story content out of 2 games in a 12 episode series, you can imagine how awful it turns out

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 14, 2014 6:21 PM

Dec 2013
One Piece
Darker than Black
Inuyasha
Cowboy Bebop
Jan 14, 2014 6:21 PM

Feb 2013
NotJizzyHitler said:
jnw93 said:

BB- go play the game, they cram a combined 30 hours worth of story content out of 2 games in a 12 episode series, you can imagine how awful it turns out
I have played the game thats why my expectations were so high
Jan 14, 2014 6:22 PM

Oct 2011
lupadim said:
_wecc said:
lupadim said:
RedRoseFring said:
Durarararara - Pretty boring first section.
WHAAAAAAAAAAT?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

DURARARA? BORING? WHAAAAAAAAAT, ALL OF MY WHAAAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC2yoiNRIuk

IT CAN BE ALL, EXCEPT BORING

I thought the first section was the best part the second half was what was boring.
Same. Actually, I just found the second half to be not as fun as the first one, but still interesting. I mean, at the first half you get to wonder what are all those interesting people, their stories and their secrets, but at the second half you already know all that.

My only question after finishing the anime is
Jan 14, 2014 6:24 PM

Apr 2013

I found Drrr! to be terrible. I was so excited too...people said it was like Baccano....

Jan 14, 2014 6:24 PM

Sep 2011
jnw93 said:
NotJizzyHitler said:
jnw93 said:

oh ok in that case prepare for some butchering of the game, believe it or not they dont even mention shit about the black beast or what azure grimoires are until like 9 episode deep

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 14, 2014 6:26 PM

Aug 2013
Just dropped Future Diary that show is terrible so dull i can't begin to explain
Jan 14, 2014 6:31 PM

Feb 2013
NotJizzyHitler said:
jnw93 said:
NotJizzyHitler said:
jnw93 said:

oh ok in that case prepare for some butchering of the game, believe it or not they dont even mention shit about the black beast or what azure grimoires are until like 9 episode deep
thats a long wait, I hope its as good as the persona 4 anime or im not gona be impressed :/
Jan 14, 2014 6:34 PM

Dec 2011
Pupa
Sword Art Online
Jan 14, 2014 6:35 PM

Jul 2011
jnw93 said:
Gintama 18 episodes in and its just meh

That is because those are the weakest episodes of the series
Jan 14, 2014 6:37 PM

Sep 2011
pralan said:
jnw93 said:
Gintama 18 episodes in and its just meh

That is because those are the weakest episodes of the series
episode 19 is also really bad, if not the worst of the start(give or take episode 1 and 2)

episode 20 is the first episode in the series alot of people find funny, and even then the 20's still have some duds, its around ep 25-30 or so where gintama starts being gintama.....or translations, its where gintama starts being a decent comedy series that eventually becomes gintama being gintama after a short while

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jan 14, 2014 6:43 PM

Jul 2013
ThisNameSucks said:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S2

And, that's the only anime I remember being hyped up about but ended up disliking it.
Update:

SAO 2nd arc

Death Note

5 Centimeters Per Second

Rosario + Vampire
Jan 14, 2014 6:43 PM

Jan 2014
Toaru. I watched the first season for no reason, and I just want to punch myself through time because of it. Freaking wasted time.
Jan 14, 2014 7:02 PM

Jan 2008
The Devil Is a Part-Timer! The first two or so episodes were pretty great, but it got meh as time went on with some sprinkles of great here and there.
Jan 14, 2014 7:39 PM

Dec 2012
One Piece, I still regert the time I wasted on this. But some youtube videos about it were nice and I liked them ( Zoro vs Kuma).

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012), That first arc is so unbelievably mind numbingly terrible in everything. I'm trying to complete it to watch part 3 and I'm really interested in Stone Ocean.

Fate/Zero, I was bored beyond belief.

Spice and Wolf, I only started because I read that Holo and Lawerence relationship is similar to Araragi and Hitagi. Bleh, their dialogue is boring and feels awkward. Holo is really annoying and I also dislike Kemonomimi and Lawerence sounds like a teenager. The agriculture, economy and wolf deity stuff didn't interest me in the slightest. Overall a very uninteresting experience.

Monster, I don't think it's rubbish but whatever got me through 40 something episodes is simply not there anymore. I can barely finish one episode a day and I started watching this like 4-5 months ago. Probably because I feel the ending is going to be super predictable and I think Johan is a bad villain.
Jan 14, 2014 7:40 PM

Apr 2011
Blood-C
Jan 14, 2014 7:42 PM

Sep 2010
Jan 14, 2014 7:42 PM

Jun 2012
tsudecimo said:
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012), That first arc is so unbelievably mind numbingly terrible in everything. I'm trying to complete it to watch part 3 and I'm really interested in Stone Ocean.

I didn't like it either.

Stone Ocean is even more over the top.
White Snake, C-Moon, Made in Heaven, Underworld Planet Waves, Bohemian Rhapsody, Limp Bizkit, and Foo Fighters.
Hell even Survivor, Dragon's Dream, Yo-Yo Ma, Marilyn Manson, and Highway to Hell were classic JoJo.
The stands in Stone Ocean were so outrageous they almost overshadowed the characters.
Oh, and Rykiel, fabulous bastard child of Dio in cow suit.
dat Green Baby pregnancy

Do you say this because of it's female dominant cast?
Even then, Stone Ocean has arguably the weakest cast in all of JoJo for what it's worth (not counting the first two parts due to length).
It was Araki's gradual transition to a more seinen esq Manga, main characters didn't wait till the finale to die like they always have, oh and the mortality rate was as bad as Victory Gundams.
OchimushaJan 14, 2014 8:00 PM
Jan 14, 2014 7:44 PM

Aug 2011
K. Oh, I'll never forget about how excited I was about K and how horribly mediocre it turned out to actually be.

tsudecimo said:

You should just laugh at it all. That's what really made me start to enjoy the show. If you try to take Jojo seriously most of the time, you should just stop watching it.

Jan 14, 2014 7:55 PM

Apr 2013
Zetman
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Jan 14, 2014 7:56 PM

Apr 2013
YorozuyaGinSan said:
tsudecimo said:

I didn't like it either.

Raining meteors, Gravity distortion, Mickey Mouse, and Foo Fighters.
Oh, and fabulous men in cow suits.
dat pregnancy

Sbr>>>>>>>all
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Jan 14, 2014 8:03 PM

Jun 2012
Ventose said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:
tsudecimo said:

I didn't like it either.

Raining meteors, Gravity distortion, Mickey Mouse, and Foo Fighters.
Oh, and fabulous men in cow suits.
dat pregnancy

Sbr>>>>>>>all

My bias is inclined more towards Diamond is Unbreakable, I remember reading it back when Gundam wing was running on Toonami.
But if I had to pick an objective favorite, I'm in 100% agreement, SBR has perfectly fleshed out characters regardless of their importance, some of the god damned best art I've ever seen, not to forget the ingenious stand designs and work Araki put into it.
All of the throwbacks were great aswell, especially Magenta Magenta's 20th Century Boy climax.
OchimushaJan 14, 2014 8:06 PM
Jan 14, 2014 8:08 PM

Dec 2012
YorozuyaGinSan said:
tsudecimo said:

I didn't like it either.

The over the top nature wasn't my problem. I fully knew about it and expected it before I even started. I mean everyone knows that JoJo is over the top.

My problems were the very dull MC, the overly evil for no reason villain, it feels dragged out, the stupidity wasn't funny, slow start and pace. The action didn't impress. I liked the voice acting though, and I was surprised Sugita is in part 2 so I'm kinda excited for it.

Even then, Stone Ocean has arguably the weakest cast in all of JoJo for what it's worth (not counting the first two parts due to length).
It was Araki's gradual transition to a more seinen esq Manga, main characters didn't wait till the finale to die like they always have, oh and the mortality rate was as bad as Victory Gundams.

Well you guessed it right. I really like the character design there too. I'm also interested in Steel Ball. Well, I think it's accepted within the JoJo fandom that part 1 is bad.
Jan 14, 2014 8:13 PM

Jan 2013
tsudecimo said:
Well, I think it's accepted within the JoJo fandom that part 1 is bad.

Opinions vary, actually.

I, for one, have enjoyed every part of JJBA that I've read so far.
Salmon is delicious.
Jan 14, 2014 8:19 PM

Jun 2012
tsudecimo said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:
tsudecimo said:

I didn't like it either.

The over the top nature wasn't my problem. I fully knew about it and expected it before I even started. I mean everyone knows that JoJo is over the top.

My problems were the very dull MC, the overly evil for no reason villain, it feels dragged out, the stupidity wasn't funny, slow start and pace. The action didn't impress. I liked the voice acting though, and I was surprised Sugita is in part 2 so I'm kinda excited for it.

Well you guessed it right. I really like the character design there too. I'm also interested in Steel Ball. Well, I think it's accepted within the JoJo fandom that part 1 is bad.

Dio is far worse in Stardust Crusaders tbh, but Enrico Pucci of Stone Ocean is practically a vassal or spiritual successor to Dio, ironic of a character as he is.
I haven't read Phantom Blood in years but I remember wholeheartedly loving it, especially the first ten or so chapters before it wandered into the supernatural. Sure it's not as highly acclaimed as Battle Tendency or Steel Ball Run but it had a wonderful mood for it's time, R.E.O Speedwagon was a nice touch aswell.
Jan 14, 2014 8:26 PM

Dec 2012
I shouldn't have phrased it as bad more like the least liked and/or the weakest compared to other parts. I mean it's manga score really shows a big difference between it and other parts. And most of the people I talked to about JoJo said it's the weakest.

YorozuyaGinSan said:

Dio is far worse in Stardust Crusaders tbh, but Enrico Pucci of Stone Ocean is practically a vassal or spiritual successor to Dio, ironic of a character as he is.

I thought that Dio and JoJo having actual or/and spiritual successors in each part was the general structure of the series. Like each part has a ''JoJo'' and a ''Dio'' who are rivals etc.
Jan 14, 2014 8:27 PM

Feb 2010
Coppelion :(
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 14, 2014 8:30 PM

Jan 2013
tsudecimo said:
I shouldn't have phrased it as bad more like the least liked and/or the weakest compared to other parts. I mean it's manga score really shows a big difference between it and other parts. And most of the people I talked to about JoJo said it's the weakest.

True, I would also agree that it's the weakest compared to the other parts that I've read. But honestly that's not saying much since part 1 is still good on its own, and better than most of the rubbish that people in the anime/manga community go crazy over these days IMO.
Salmon is delicious.
Jan 14, 2014 8:36 PM

Jun 2012
tsudecimo said:

YorozuyaGinSan said:

I thought that Dio and JoJo having actual or/and spiritual successors in each part was the general structure of the series. Like each part has a ''JoJo'' and a ''Dio'' who are rivals etc.

I guess you could say that is the standard formula, but it has it's exceptions aswell.
Parts 4 and 5 for example have antagonists completely irrelevant to the story of JoJo and Kira and Diavolo are far too thematically different to be considered a spiritual successor to Dio. The same case goes for part 7 and possibly 2 aswell, albiet much more loosely.
Of course the Joestars are all in a way eachothers successors, Joseph to Jonatham Jotaro and Josuke to Joseph, Giorno to Dio, Jolyne to Jotaro, and even possibly the new Josuke to Johnny. But even then, their motives, ambitions and personalities vary so far from the seniors that I wouldn't even use a term like spiritual successor to apply to them.

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I was expecting Fallout the Anime.
Jan 14, 2014 8:39 PM

Feb 2010
YorozuyaGinSan said:

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I was expecting Fallout the Anime.

But what we got was Aoi and bold outlines on the character designs. I've already forgotten the rest about the show :/.
Jan 14, 2014 8:43 PM

Feb 2010
tsudecimo said:

YorozuyaGinSan said:

Well, if you look at Dio's character page he's listed to appear in multiple of the later JoJo series too so I guess he reappears a lot himself instead of having successors. If you didn't like him at all I don't know if you'll enjoy the franchise as a whole.
Jan 14, 2014 8:48 PM

Jun 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
tsudecimo said:

YorozuyaGinSan said:

Well, if you look at Dio's character page he's listed to appear in multiple of the later JoJo series too so I guess he reappears a lot himself instead of having successors. If you didn't like him at all I don't know if you'll enjoy the franchise as a whole.

Dio's best part as a character in JoJo as far as I'm concerned was in Stone Ocean.
And he only appeared through means of Enrico Pucci's flashbacks to before the events of Stardust Crusaders. They were extremely profound, almost philosophically so and it really gives a whole new dimension to his character.
But he's only a major part in Phantom Blood and he serves as the final antagonist for Stardust Crusaders. I mean, he doesn't even show his face untill the last couple volumes.

Diego Brando of SBR is by no means a spiritual successor to Dio though, they're completely different characters in every aspect.

I'd say if Joseph was the second coming of JoJo, with Jolyne being the 6th, then Enrico is the 2nd coming of Dio with nobody to follow up thus far in the series.
Jan 14, 2014 8:56 PM

Aug 2012
None. I don't hype about anime (or anything, for that matter) any more. I don't have a show that "I couldn't wait" to watch.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Jan 14, 2014 9:15 PM

May 2013
Code Geass R2 because it was allover the place. The ending restored some of my faith in it however.
Jan 14, 2014 11:14 PM

Jun 2007
RahXephon -- all the hype said it was "Evangelion done right," with better production values, better romance, etc. Some of that hype was justified, but the series eventually degenerated into a moe harem comedy anime, except that most of the comedy is unintentional. Of course, I do like moe harem comedies, it's just that RahXephon dilutes those elements with a bunch of boring mecha fights and long-winded random philosophizing. The clown-car revolving door writer team didn't help, either. I can't believe I not only blind-bought the series, but also watched it twice...

Of course, NGE certainly wasn't without its flaws, but the raw emotional moments mostly made up for them. By contrast, only the ending of RahXephon ep 19 stands out as a truly memorable moment for me.
Jan 14, 2014 11:16 PM

Dec 2012
tsudecimo said:

I swear, the action and story are so bad that I thought it was a comedy?
How do people get to 2000 hours when I'm already this bored?
Jan 15, 2014 12:04 AM
Jul 2012
F/Z for reasons stated in the last few pages basically, F/SN too, I usually don't mind shounen or 14 year old protagonists but from the first episodes it just felt extremely bland, screw that Zatch Bell da bess

Mirai Nikki is probably the biggest one of them all, it seemed like Death Note and Steins Gate but then I realized it was a stupid shock factor show with cheap gore, everything is poorly censored so it feels laughable. On top of that it's basically horrible in every aspect, main characters are some of the most terrible chars ever, yuno is bad and ugly af how can she even be a popular waifu(whole how is pretty ugly as well, doesnt really look like it's from 2011). Very amateur-ish directing as well, they just jumble a couple of interesting premises and some random NGE copy-pasting and they expect people to like it for those superficial aspects

A more low key example would be Noein though, thought it would be a masterpiece but sadly it doesn't handle mixing so much genres as well as anime like Dennou Coil or Brigadoon do, series never seem to find it's footing so it ends up feeling kinda boring. It may be more mature in execution than like Steins Gate as people like to say but it probably makes even less sense time-traveling-wise
Jan 15, 2014 12:47 AM
May 2013
Pupa.

I was really hyped, and it was the only show I was really looking forward to back in September.
Jan 15, 2014 12:57 AM

Aug 2013
Coppelion.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 15, 2014 1:55 AM

Aug 2013
Didn't necessarily turn out to be "rubbish" but Code Geass fell miles below my expectations. Was really ready and prepared to give it a 10/10 and forgive it for small things if I had to. Was uber hyped for it and had been planning and waiting to watch Geass for several months if not really a year. Unfortunately I just couldn't do it. I still don't see what's "amazing" or "great" about it. I didn't really see an intricately woven story or particularly well-done characters. The ending was really nice and the action of Geass as a whole was really good but unfortunately everything else was "fine" but not anything to drool over like I'd heard. I've seen better or rather I've seen a lot of stuff I felt was leagues better.
Jan 15, 2014 3:07 AM

Jul 2012
Code Geass, alright ending but the rest is sub-par.
So, What do you think is on the other side?
Jan 15, 2014 4:32 AM
Nov 2010
Well I remember that people said that Macross Frontier is an example of a good mech so I was really hyped up for it. On the 8th episode and it's pretty mediocre.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Jan 15, 2014 6:00 AM

Sep 2013
Pupa!
I couldn't wait to watch this anime at that time because i thought this might be cool and now when the first episode released, it disappoints me so much..
Jan 15, 2014 6:08 AM

May 2013
Claymore for sureeeeeeeeeee~

Claymore manga> Claymore anime
Jan 15, 2014 6:46 AM

Dec 2013
Blood C - Got intrigue because it is CLAMP and it turned out to be crappy senseless gore. Good thing the movie was fine.

Code Breaker - I remember into looking forward to this series then . . . just bad anime adaptation.

Recently, Pupa! - It does not make sense plus it is so short. But will just watch more episode for analysis.
Jan 15, 2014 6:50 AM

Aug 2013
Pupa
Jan 15, 2014 6:53 AM

Jul 2013
5 Centimeters Per Second was just boring to me. I can't believe I was super excited about it since everyone claimed it was a feels-inducing anime.
Jan 15, 2014 7:16 AM

Apr 2012
ThisNameSucks said:
5 Centimeters Per Second was just boring to me. I can't believe I was super excited about it since everyone claimed it was a feels-inducing anime.

I dropped that show in the first five minutes. There is just something about serious romance that makes it hard to watch.
Jan 15, 2014 7:41 AM

Jan 2014
Brave 10 of course....such a waste of time..
Jan 15, 2014 7:47 AM

Oct 2011
ThisNameSucks said:

You can alternatively watch the music video which is the same one in the last 10 minutes of the movie. There were some changes like the extended intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJmvvZk4C1A

It still tells what the movie is all about without watching the entire movie.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

24 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
11 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - Today

20 by Oofmastre9000 »»
26 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

20 by AverageRiceFan »»
28 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 2 hours ago

3 by AverageRiceFan »»
31 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

196 by ISeeLifePeople »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.