Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 11, 2014 1:46 PM

Jun 2009
Just watched the first ep.
Been waiting this series to be animated, (not much) but slightly disappointed with the animation style.
of course I understand, it's not that "mind-fucked" style as Monogatari or Zetsubou sensei.
But I wish they just go with normal animation/background/scenery...
IZUMI64Jan 11, 2014 1:49 PM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 11, 2014 3:20 PM

Mar 2012
I don't mind shaft, but the animation in Nisakoi is kinda turning me off. Maybe Il get used to it?
Jan 11, 2014 3:27 PM

Aug 2012
I don't hate, I'm disappointed a little, so I definitely agree with you, I also think I'll get it used to it. Did feel awkward-ish..

Jan 11, 2014 3:38 PM

Mar 2012
IZUMI64 said:

But then they'd just be like every other studio.
The whole point of SHAFT's style is to be different. It serves no other purpose.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Jan 11, 2014 3:40 PM

Jan 2008
Want Shaft to be normal? What is this I'm seeing?
Jan 11, 2014 3:40 PM

Sep 2012
They're using stylistic gimmicks on this show?

From reading the manga, it was nothing but a bland, predictable, cliche, generic and boring harem.

Just seems kind of odd.
Jan 11, 2014 3:56 PM

May 2010
Glumii said:
I don't hate, I'm disappointed a little, so I definitely agree with you, I also think I'll get it used to it. Did feel awkward-ish..

Same here.
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Jan 11, 2014 4:05 PM

Mar 2012
I'm actually disappointed by how tame the Shaft-ish direction is. I wanted it to be crazier, because that's the only way that harems can be saved.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 11, 2014 4:05 PM

Dec 2012
I'm disappointed that SHAFT even picked up this. It's like they want to have a flop on purpose because two of their previous works were mega hits.

This isn't the type of risk that might be profitable for them. Well I'm just curious to see the manga boost sales.
Jan 11, 2014 4:26 PM

Jun 2009
tsudecimo said:

Well I'm just curious to see the manga boost sales.

actually Nisekoi sold well (even without anime)
and I'm pretty sure SHAFT is not the only studio who want to "buy" Nisekoi's right from (Weekly Shonen) Jump. But in the end SHAFT made good offer that WSJ can't turn down.

Negative-Travis said:
IZUMI64 said:

But then they'd just be like every other studio.
The whole point of SHAFT's style is to be different. It serves no other purpose.

What I was trying to say is, I prefer it's not made by SHAFT.
I'd be happy if other "normal" studio produce Nisekoi, because I knew from beginning SHAFT art style will be look kinda awkward for this kind of anime type
Jan 11, 2014 4:30 PM

Sep 2012
IZUMI64 said:
But in the end SHAFT made good offer that WSJ can't turn down.
I'm not sure if this was intended, but the fact that Nisekoi is about the mafia makes this sentence pretty clever haha
Jan 11, 2014 5:57 PM

Dec 2013
tsudecimo said:
I'm disappointed that SHAFT even picked up this. It's like they want to have a flop on purpose because two of their previous works were mega hits.

This isn't the type of risk that might be profitable for them.

this. i mean it's not like shaft hasn't had a few flops since bake/madoka, but this is kinda silly. generic romcom harems is not what i go to shaft for. and it's doesnt look like they're doing anything particularly clever with it, looks like they're playing it pretty straight the way the manga was. kinda wish they would have let someone else do nisekoi and picked up something a little more original. this probably won't be terrible, but i don't see it really living up to any of shafts hits.
Jan 11, 2014 6:13 PM

Sep 2012
thedryness said:

this. i mean it's not like shaft hasn't had a few flops since bake/madoka, but this is kinda silly. generic romcom harems is not what i go to shaft for. and it's doesnt look like they're doing anything particularly clever with it, looks like they're playing it pretty straight the way the manga was. kinda wish they would have let someone else do nisekoi and picked up something a little more original. this probably won't be terrible, but i don't see it really living up to any of shafts hits.

that about sums up my views on this.
I don't think this is truly something Shaft can make their own piece. The source material is really limiting Shaft's potential, honestly. It feels like Shaft's tropes are better than the actual bare bones plot of the series, and I'm just watching it to see Shaft's silly animation.
Jan 11, 2014 6:19 PM

Jul 2009
Yes, I'd have preferred non-Shaft style for Nisekoi. They do great things with animation. The quality is high, and they add in those quirky things that make their shows unique ... But this doesn't really fit with Nisekoi's love story.

Some people view it as giving service to Nisekoi's alleged blandness. But I think it doesn't match with the atmosphere of the original manga, and I'd have preferred something more Bones-y.

None of the characters are eccentric in here (unlike in Monogatari). Nothing supernatural goes on. So while I'm sure Shaft will bring something new to the table, I'm just not sure if that something will belong.
Jan 11, 2014 6:44 PM

Sep 2011
Better to be a non-shaft style. I thought A-1 or JC Staff would picked this at that time when they announced that Nisekoi will have an anime adaptation.
ExoticNeedsJan 11, 2014 6:49 PM
Jan 11, 2014 7:01 PM

May 2011
Not only is it refreshing to see this genre handled differently, but Shaft's animation is still pretty fun. I can see why it would bother some people, but I love the change of pace. Especially considering how the style is different from the manga (I peeked a little). Still, pretty fantastic how Shinbou can maintain his style while keeping faithful to the writing. Guy's a damn genius.
Jan 11, 2014 7:25 PM

Jun 2008
I guess I'm not the only one thats kinda disappointed about this. I'm pretty worried that this is going to be another NEGIMA "Shafted" adaptation.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Jan 11, 2014 10:31 PM

Nov 2013
I think shaft did a much better job with this one than with monogatari. nisekoi is so much more colorful while all the settings in monogatari were dark and bland.
Jan 11, 2014 10:37 PM
Jan 2014
Normal animation for Nisekoi would make it so forgettable. It's not like SHAFT hasn't produced normal animation. Case in point: Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko. WHO REMEMBERS THAT?

Granted I liked it, but isn't going to make it into my most memorable category at all. Besides Erio herself ofc
Jan 12, 2014 12:12 AM

Jan 2008
yinyangtrio said:
Normal animation for Nisekoi would make it so forgettable. It's not like SHAFT hasn't produced normal animation. Case in point: Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko. WHO REMEMBERS THAT?

Granted I liked it, but isn't going to make it into my most memorable category at all. Besides Erio herself ofc

Dayum! Didn't know that Denpa Onna was produced by shaft. That was surprising.
Jan 12, 2014 12:48 AM
Jan 2013
tsudecimo said:

This isn't the type of risk that might be profitable for them. Well I'm just curious to see the manga boost sales.

My thoughts exactly. And their animation style is quite reminiscent of Disney's Phineas and Ferb. And I don't mean in a good way. Really, when I think they could be making Kizumonogatari instead of this, I feel great disappointment.
Jan 12, 2014 1:03 AM

Jul 2012
I like SHAFT'S animation, but I do see that a lot of people dislike it.

With monogatari, I'd like to think that we see the scenery as the MC would see it.
So stuff which are less detailed, are less important to the MC at that time, since he is telling the story, we see it like that.
Jan 12, 2014 1:19 AM

Sep 2013
I thought SHAFT's style fit really well, and boosted the effect of some of the scenes. In fact, I think their style is what makes this quite normal romcom actually interesting for me.
Jan 12, 2014 2:06 AM

Jun 2008
I find it weird because it's too colorful, but I don't hate it XD

Jan 12, 2014 2:29 AM

Aug 2013
yinyangtrio said:

Nobody remembers Denpa Onna because the story didn't really go anywhere. Nothing really happened. The art style Shaft used for it would have been more appropriate for Nisekoi.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 12, 2014 3:09 AM

Apr 2013
Glumii said:

The Akiyuki Shinbou style ( or is it the Shaft style? ) doesn't really suit this anime. It's not horrible but still a little awkward. It's like the director is trying to make new dishes but doesn't change the sauce.
YumeNoMonogatariJan 12, 2014 3:18 AM
Jan 12, 2014 3:25 AM

Feb 2013
Since I read the manga, I wouldn't have watched it if someone else was animating it. Shaft animating it is the most important factor. The way they handled the animation is perfect. Period.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jan 12, 2014 4:17 AM

Jan 2013
I'm not really a fan of Nisekoi manga itself, so I could care less, but still this anime should've been done by JC.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jan 12, 2014 6:06 AM

Jul 2011
DawnJ said:
I'm not really a fan of Nisekoi manga itself, so I could care less, but still this anime should've been done by JC.

True. J.C. Staff excels at Romantic Comedy Stories.
_ClariSJan 12, 2014 6:10 AM
Jan 12, 2014 6:16 AM
Oct 2009
I'm only watching this because Shaft is animating it. The Manga wasn't interesting enough for me to want to read it. I'm mainly watching for Shaft's silly animation, and hopes the animation gets more Shaft-y.
Jan 12, 2014 6:27 AM

Mar 2013
sherlock5545 said:
Since I read the manga, I wouldn't have watched it if someone else was animating it. Shaft animating it is the most important factor. The way they handled the animation is perfect. Period.
So much this.
Jan 12, 2014 6:37 AM

Feb 2013
With this genre, that it isn't one of the most unique, I'm actually kinda glad that it is a 'shaft' animation, at least for me it's a completely different and for more enjoyable experience than it would be if it was a 'standard' animation
Jan 12, 2014 6:52 AM

Aug 2012
When an adaptation was announced, I was thinking that JC might do this, and it surprised me that it was Shaft. I had doubts, of course, and up until now. Nisekoi deserves a "normal" art style.

The anime has only one episode out yet. I say, let time pass by and maybe, you'll get used to the art style. Who knows, at the end of the day, this approach Shaft did is better after all.

So far, I don't have any major complaints. It just felt off, that is because it is unusual and not bad.
Jan 12, 2014 6:52 AM

Jun 2013
IMO it's the most 'normal' show Shaft ever made, i mean it;s not as peculiar as dennpa onna/monogatari/madoka in terms of animation and angles

Monogatari is not for everyone show, it's more strorytelling one that dialogues driven

Madoka is...deconstruction of magical girl genre

Dennpa Onna is....meh

and Nisekoi is....mainstream romantic comedy show IMO

well i'd prefer this way, Nisekoi is a very good material and i couldn't imagine if A-1/JC Staff take this......they'll probably just ruining the mood
Jan 12, 2014 8:15 AM
Jul 2018
I've only read a few chapters of the manga, so I don't really know the whole story or anything, but the Shaft animation feels really out of place to me.
Jan 12, 2014 9:05 AM
Dec 2010
You guys haven't been paying attention.... the manga itself is famous for all the head tilts, reaction faces and slapstick humor, it's more or less in the same vein as any typical Shaft series and is the perfect target for the Shaft style. It would have made for a mediocre anime if not for Shaft saving it.
Jan 12, 2014 9:43 AM
Aug 2011
I would have dropped this in 2 episodes if not for Shaft.
Much like I would have dropped ef. tale of memories/melodies, but that is another topic entirely.
Jan 12, 2014 9:43 AM
Jul 2012
Guess I'm the only one that likes the SHAFT style huh?

Personally I am curious to see how SHAFT does with a romcom and judging by the first episode it could go well.

Might be one of those cases where the anime is better than the manga.
Jan 12, 2014 10:40 AM
Mar 2013
personaly i like it, but usualy i dont complain if the story is good ^^
Jan 12, 2014 10:56 AM

Jan 2012
I like it. It gives the anime an extra touch.
Jan 12, 2014 11:51 AM

Sep 2013
Well, I don't hate this style, but I don't think it fits the anime o3o
Icon made by me ;v;
If anyone wants to commission an icon like this, contact me at deviantART or isnowfairy7@gmail

Jan 12, 2014 12:16 PM

Aug 2013
SHAFT style works fine for me.
reyhangustira said:
well i'd prefer this way, Nisekoi is a very good material and i couldn't imagine if A-1/JC Staff take this......they'll probably just ruining the mood

+++
Jan 12, 2014 12:52 PM

Jul 2013
I was really hoping on a normal animation, the ''shaft'' animation was a bit strange for me.
Jan 12, 2014 2:32 PM

Dec 2013
The Shaft treatment was surprising and in my opinion a bit unnecessary. Nisekoi stood out as a manga for me like Oreimo and ToraDora. Both were animated well and turned into great hits.

I don't see why people insist that Shafting a typical romcom makes it "that much better".

The Shaft treatment works for shows with lots of meaningful dialogue like Monogatari. What made those shows special was the fact that those shows were more talk and internal thought process than action most of the time.

It doesn't work for a typical rom-com, I feel like the characteristics for each character portrayed in the manga seems a bit lacking and dull in the anime after the Shaft process. For one, Chitoge's reactions were way more fun and over-the-top in the manga, after watching her in the first episode I just didn't feel the same craziness which the manga has, she seemed way too controlled. If anything it made her and Onodera's characters a bit more dull than the ones shown in the manga.

I'll have to say I would have preferred the "normal" animation to the current Shaft treatment.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jan 12, 2014 3:40 PM

Jun 2008
L-Ryoshi said:
I don't see why people insist that Shafting a typical romcom makes it "that much better".

Yeah, it would be much better when people "saying it's perfect" actually explains why it is perfect, when normal style animations works anyway.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Jan 12, 2014 3:44 PM

May 2013
"I'm disappointed that SHAFT is being SHAFT."
Jan 12, 2014 3:46 PM

Dec 2009
Shaft destroy all the good aspects of Nisekoi manga. I think so because seeing the first episode I wanted to scream "what the f--k they do with this?" Is what the manga was funny in the anime just teasing. Shaft destroyed all hope for a cool adaptations of cool light and funny manga, making this rude, boorish and stupid type of anime, what with the title does not work.
Jan 12, 2014 4:04 PM

Jan 2014
I didnt mind it at all, I think it would be good either way.
Melon
Jan 12, 2014 4:05 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
kaimax said:
L-Ryoshi said:

Yeah, it would be much better when people "saying it's perfect" actually explains why it is perfect, when normal style animations works anyway.

Pretty much this. It was good, but not because of SHAFT. It would have worked fine with other studios too...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 12, 2014 9:17 PM

Jan 2013
The Shaft style animation in Nisekoi is pretty much watered down. And yet fanboys are praising for Shaft being Shaft. How sweet of irony it is...

Anyway, there's another reason other than animation style. Shaft has never been good at drama(while JC is pro at it). T3h v1su4l(which isn't even decent in this case) cannot be the salvation at all. I'm sick of Shaft fanboys who've only watched Monogatari series and MaMaMa.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nisekoi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 11, 2014

494 by Shyne_KZ »»
Apr 12, 5:28 PM

Poll: » Nisekoi Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 24, 2014

484 by jasutin_hoshi »»
Jan 1, 7:10 PM

Poll: » Nisekoi Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2014

237 by Term4738 »»
Dec 23, 2023 10:34 PM

Poll: » Nisekoi Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - May 17, 2014

286 by WELLERM »»
Dec 9, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Nisekoi Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 10, 2014

264 by WELLERM »»
Dec 9, 2023 2:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.