Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 9, 2014 11:44 PM

Aug 2013
Half of my brain thinks this is just stupid. The other thinks it's interesting. Verdict = stupidly interesting. I think this one of those shows where you turn your brain off to enjoy haha.

Interesting transformation magic. Another "wait what?!" moment this season lmao.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 10, 2014 12:03 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Right everyone is a magician now... sure, why not?
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 10, 2014 12:15 AM

Oct 2013
Boring episode but I liked the action. 3/5 for the first episode I guess.
Transofrmation magic = big boobies? ok. I like Isoshima though.
Meh, I'm just waiting for Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei now. Madhouse sure loves magic, guns and swords lol.
Jan 10, 2014 12:17 AM

Aug 2011
i don't like the magic that our MC has received ... srs :-??..

note: Psychopath is my name on a Game so this sig is mine . no copy/paste :)
Jan 10, 2014 12:18 AM

Oct 2013
Not bad, just a bit here and there, seems not very well explained or messy (a little)

But overall, not bad among this season.

xchee said:
Half of my brain thinks this is just stupid. The other thinks it's interesting. Verdict = stupidly interesting. I think this one of those shows where you turn your brain off to enjoy haha.

Interesting transformation magic. Another "wait what?!" moment this season lmao.

LOL, thumb-up

Akanezora said:
"She wakes up and pulls out a gun"
YES OF COURSE MC, DON'T MIND AND DON'T ASK ABOUT THE GUN, EVERY GIRL OBVIOUSLY PULLS OUT A GUN WHEN SHE AWAKES FROM HER SLEEP

I was thinking about the same thing. The gun was too normal...

Kento23 said:
The guy almost gets shooted and he didn't even react. The bamboo sword not being cut by the giant FF sword. The guy not giving a fuck about magic. Magicians running through the school with giant weapons. Blonde chick comes out, she doesn't give a fuck about the bro with the FF sword. life threatening situation, blonde chick gets jealous cause the dude called the other chick by her name. New bamboo sword, New anime: Unbreakable bamboo sword. Blonde chick becomes a magician. Blonde dude becomes a magician. Everybody in the school becomes a magician, ok no. Epic long activation sequence for a shitty light flash. LET'S DROP OUR HAPPY LIFES AND FOLLOW A UNKNOWN CHICK TO THE MAGIC WORLD SO WE CAN LIVE A FANTASY LIFE :D

omfg dat logic holes

Good summary. LOL
heiqi1huJan 10, 2014 12:24 AM
Jan 10, 2014 12:25 AM

Jul 2013
the synopsis kinda remind me of Harry Potter..

great! another LOLI main heroine..... can an anime not survive if there are no lolis in it?? I do not hate lolis but if every anime has them (especially main heroines?? oh for fuck's sake!)... arrrghh...!! and her boobs doesn't make up for it man..

I love the action.. it was great and intense.
Jan 10, 2014 12:59 AM

Aug 2013
Starting the romance with a kiss? Sweet. A bamboo sword can actually last against a huge steel sword. Either that's a new fact for me or it's because of his magic.
Magic rules got me a bit confused, too.

Apology said:

Ouch, that must hurt:
http://i44.tinypic.com/4ggi7r.jpg
Jan 10, 2014 1:03 AM
Apr 2013
I know I shouldn't really judge based on the first episode, but the anime looks pretty bad to me.

The random fanservice with the transforming Ishoshima seemed really dumb, like it was supposed to be comedy relief, but it just wasn't funny. Also the fact that all the characters keep their cool 100%, even more than the enemies do in fact, and just fight off the enemies as if they're nothing. Like, seriously, a guy starts swinging a 20 lb gigantic steel sword at me and all I have is a bamboo kendo sword? I'm running the hell out of there while wetting my pants.

Characters seem pretty flat and dumb as well, with Shana (my bad, I meant Mui) a failure as a tsundere, a possible bro-con (even the enemy agrees), and a crybaby, all in one batch. They introduce some background, but too much of it is shrouded in mystery (though not very intriguing mystery), for me to comment on.

Also, that random kiss scene in the beginning... Really now. That's some cliche to start off a romantic encounter, and y'all know it.

All in all, kinda dissappointed, the action was decent, I guess, but that was the only redeeming factor. That, and the ending, only because I love Nano. I'll probably drop this, if not now, then in another 2 episodes at least. I went into this first episode with high expectations, but with how bad the execution of the first episode was, I'm not too excited for further releases...
Jan 10, 2014 1:08 AM
Oct 2011
So... generic and uninspired, dropped.
Jan 10, 2014 1:19 AM

Sep 2010
So stupid and generic that I couldn't finish it. :\
Jan 10, 2014 2:00 AM

Jul 2013
Mui Aiba reminds me of Shana, only she uses a gun.
OP and ED were average at best.
Lol Isoshima randomly transforming. Random fanservice there.
Extremely messy episode, yes.
Sword fight was good, those parts had me hooked.
xchee said:

Yeep lol, stupidly interesting.
And here I was feeling excited to finally watch this anime. I'll follow it all the way to the end anyway.
I hope it gets better from here.
Jan 10, 2014 2:01 AM

Apr 2010
I like how the MC had no reaction after being shot at.

Oh, and bamboo swords not taking damage from a real sword being swung at full force, ha.

Dat ED tho.
Jan 10, 2014 2:07 AM

Feb 2012
Wow ED was pretty awesome. As for the episode itself I'd give it a meh rating for now. Going to the magic school should be fun to watch.
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski
Jan 10, 2014 2:21 AM

Sep 2011
I watch too much hentai because I immediately thought "Are the mother and his brother having sex?" after she gave him that look
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2014 2:35 AM

May 2009
Esclair said:
Trainwreck of the season.

First, learn definition of trainwreck.
Jan 10, 2014 2:35 AM

Sep 2011
Looks promising. Gonna continue watching this. ;D

Jan 10, 2014 3:10 AM

Apr 2009
>GUIZE WE CANT USE MAGICKS AGAINST EACH OTHER IN TEH OVERWURLD OR ELSE WE LOSE OUR POWER
>use it every fucking minute of the show

This was pretty awful, as expected from one of the five infamous LN who got announced last year. Chuunishit, sekaikei, edgy protagonists, dumb magic, inconsistencies already, etc.
This is exactly why nobody takes anime seriously and it pains me to see that Madhouse is actually responsible for this. Oh well, judging from the framerate they don't really care either.

PS: This system of turning people into magicians is just as dumb as the system behind vampires, even though they have at least some limits there.
NidhoeggrJan 10, 2014 3:15 AM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jan 10, 2014 3:14 AM

Jan 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
>GUIZE WE CANT USE MAGICKS AGAINST EACH OTHER IN TEH OVERWURLD OR ELSE WE LOSE OUR POWER
>use it every fucking minute of the show

This was pretty awful, as expected from one of the five infamous LN who got announced last year. Chuunishit, sekaikei, edgy protagonists, dumb magic, inconsistencies already, etc.
This is exactly why nobody takes anime seriously and it pains me to see that Madhouse is actually responsible for this. Oh well, judging from the framerate they don't really care either.

PS: This system of turning people into magicians is just as dumd as the system behind vampires, even though they have at least some limits there.

I agree, this show is complete shit

I'm not gonna bother watching episode 2.
Jan 10, 2014 3:38 AM

Sep 2012
I've concluded that magicians are a zombie race that infect humans in order to spread the zombie virus.
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Jan 10, 2014 3:43 AM

Mar 2013
I honestly expected Mui to be a Tsundere or something lol
ayy, badass MC and dat transformation magic though...
Things got a bit heated up for the first episode...
I like how magic and the different types were introduced :)
Jan 10, 2014 3:54 AM

Oct 2011
looks bad ass but maybe only because MC reminds me of Shana. Shana mai waifu. Shana and Aria meld together :/
Jan 10, 2014 4:04 AM
Jan 2011
That was the most cliche ridden generic thing I've seen. When she started going on about magician and they all started becoming magicians. It was just too ridiculous.
xsilicon9Jan 10, 2014 4:23 AM
Jan 10, 2014 4:10 AM

Jul 2008
An ok start, Strike the Blood feels better for now :)
Jan 10, 2014 4:21 AM
Jan 2011
SwiftKilla said:
Instead of a magical fantasy SAO like world it's a fucking shithole lol. And atleast the MC has some guts and skills with the bamboo sword. I'm liking this already. Dat transformation magic though =D.

LMAO!! Yea it is a shithole world.
Jan 10, 2014 4:38 AM

Apr 2012
lol boob magic
Jan 10, 2014 4:45 AM

Apr 2013
The first episode was intense .
Jan 10, 2014 4:49 AM

Jan 2009
Thoughts:
0:45 love the silence and the dark atmosphere

3:42 always a high school setting, how cliché

4:58 I wonder if anyone watching her cry would cry as well, even tho we don't know her

5:19 what kind of girl brings a gun to school

5:58 the guys reaction to the gun is way too calm

9:03 ur shitting me… bamboo sword vs heavy steal blade… that blade didn't even slice the word in two on the first strike.

17:48 lol @ the boob fan service

---------------
Overall:
1. OP song was ok. ED song was alright. Glad to see that nano is in another OP/ED.

2. Didn't like the 1st half because there were some things I couldn't buy (e.g. Girl with gun, guys reaction to gun, & bamboo sword not breaking)

3. 2nd half of episode was better

4. Voice acting, music & graphics are always good. Characters seem very cliché and typical. Hopefully the story will pick up. Might drop it after 3rd episode. Ep1: 4/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Jan 10, 2014 4:59 AM

Jul 2011
Chibi-Alice said:
I usually don't pay attention to the art, but in this anime it was hard not to.
The character design, the animation, everything looked sloppy and unfinished.

But putting that aside, i still think this was an interesting first episode. Generic as hell, but still interesting.

yes this one, the animation looks like from 90's and the BGM kinda missing..
Jan 10, 2014 6:51 AM

Sep 2011
MIND BLOWING LOGIC!

bambo sword=big ass steel sword

That blonde girl got boobs implant magic lol. Ok ep remind me of shana cause of that loli chick with superpower. I stick around, this anime kinda interesting....
Jan 10, 2014 7:12 AM

Nov 2013
Decent episode, but some things didn´t make sense.

I got to laugh when MC-kun beat the other dude with a wooden sword. Also he seems to have an eye magic aka sharingan lol.

Jan 10, 2014 7:13 AM
Jul 2018
Girl fainted, da boy take da girl to da room, let da girl rest. Girl wake up, pull out a freaking gun. Da boy doesn't even question about da gun. Da anime is shit. Drop!
Jan 10, 2014 7:31 AM
Apr 2013
Enhanced boobs, Issei would be proud.
"All the World needs is me. I've got my values, so you can keep yours, alright?"
Jan 10, 2014 7:56 AM

Oct 2011
Boy, if I had a nickel every time some says 'cliche' or 'generic'...

Anyway, there isn't anything outstanding about this episode but it was entertaining nonetheless.
Jan 10, 2014 8:00 AM

Sep 2009
Man the development of this first episode was awful, why would madhouse even bother with this kind of story ...
Tho ending is cool
Jan 10, 2014 8:09 AM

Oct 2011
Hisio said:
Man the development of this first episode was awful, why would madhouse even bother with this kind of story ...
Tho ending is cool

They gotta do what they gotta do to stay alive. IIRC, they are now, for the most part, a contract studio unlike last time where they mostly animate what they want to animate.
Jan 10, 2014 8:28 AM

May 2010
So many thing happened at once kinda makes the whole feel rushed !!

But I do love that "breast enhanced magic", it's wonderful
Jan 10, 2014 8:43 AM

Feb 2011
It's joyfully generic, which I expected it to be.

Bespite Miu Aiba being a terrible character, I'm liking it so far.
morshuwarriorJan 10, 2014 9:55 AM
Jan 10, 2014 9:12 AM

Jul 2007
Wow, how terrible. Worst anime so far this season.
Hopefully they'll do a better job on Mahouka.
Jan 10, 2014 9:37 AM

Nov 2007
Didn't rlly enjoyed the first episode, I felt like the animation was off and the characters weren't moving properly the entire episode, however I love supernatural animes so I'll give it a chance.
Jan 10, 2014 9:59 AM

Aug 2011
The first episode was very rushed. At least the ED has nice animation.
Jan 10, 2014 10:34 AM

Aug 2013
way too rushed still enjoyable tho
Jan 10, 2014 10:46 AM

Nov 2007
good animation. kinda interesting. of course the girl gets magic and her boobs instantly get bigger. looks decent enough.
Jan 10, 2014 10:57 AM

Dec 2008
So, magic spreads like the cold/flu virus?
Not the greatest start for me. I'll watch the first 5 before I decide to keep or drop.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jan 10, 2014 11:06 AM
Mar 2010
Wow, this was really bad. I could point out the un-logical scenes and inconsistencies but that would take too much of my time. Not to mention, that animation is horrible.

And, um, why is Miyano Mamoru voicing such Generic MC #345678. He deserves better than that.

And of course, Toyama Nao's voice in this anime was so annoying I wanted to punch a wall. It's Mirai Kuriyama all over again. Trying to make a heroine look badass when she's really weak and has an annoying voice.

Yet, even with all this, I want to keep watching this. Why? Those voice actors, that's why. Those male voice actors are stellar. And SuzuKen is using his drool worthy voice. Sigh, so I'm gonna save myself the trouble.

LN READERS: Do the ikemen with the great voice actors have a lot to do with the show? If they're just there for decoration, I'm dropping this.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jan 10, 2014 11:15 AM

Mar 2013
WTF!?!
A magic that make the boobs grow up :O
Jan 10, 2014 11:19 AM
Aug 2012
Cheesekao said:
Boy, if I had a nickel every time some says 'cliche' or 'generic'...

Anyway, there isn't anything outstanding about this episode but it was entertaining nonetheless.

Yeah i know that feeling. "Generic", "Cliche", "Predictable", "Trainwreck" words seems to be popular for "trying to look COOL on forums" these days.

It was fun and exciting episode and i already spoiled myself so i will be looking forward to this. At least the girl apologized for shooting at the MC unlike D-Frag! Another funny thing i see on forums is that they always say generic MC but always fail to mention generic female characters because of some reason called "cuteness" or "moe".

To the people who are saying "I am gonna drop 'insert anime name here'........." just drop it and don't come back to say the same repeated one liner each episode for heaven's sake. Discussion threads have become more like "personal whining thread". 1 episode and already so much shit comments..........

Jan 10, 2014 12:13 PM

May 2010
That was dope will be watching this.
Jan 10, 2014 12:28 PM

Dec 2013
As was previously mentioned, it seems that words like "Generic", "Cliche", and "Trainwreck" have become the new "Look at me! Look at me, I'm so Cool!". First, whoever said this was the "Trainwreck of the season" should learn the definition of "Trainwreck". Second, for those calling this "Generic" and "Cliche", pretty much everything has been done already so EVERYTHING is going to be "Generic" and "Cliche" according to your standards.

My next point, for those continuously going on about the bamboo sword vs the real sword. The physics of the bamboo sword has already been explained, but it seems like no one has bothered to read that part of this thread. Go back and read that comment, I don't feel like repeating it.

Now, on to the review. The female MC reminded me of Shana with a gun, but not completely awful. The male MC seems to have a troubled past, something serious has happened to him in order for to cut himself off emotionally as he seems to have done. Hopefully that is explained. The other new mages, Miss Magic Boobs and Mr. I Can't Tell I'm On Fire, that was rushed and empty. It was more comedy than anything, but we'll probably learn more about them later. There was a lot that happened in this episode, so it's no surprise that certain things were rushed or left unexplained. There's an entire series ahead for explaining everything. So I would say that out of the winter 2014 anime lineup that I've seen so far, this is my number 2 behind Hamatora for best so far this season. Rating: 6/10
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Jan 10, 2014 12:29 PM
Jul 2018
ninja88880 said:
At least the MC isn't some pussy.

^

Looks promising for me, even though the character designs were not good but not /that/ bad either.. maybe.
That battle animation. Madhouse quality indeed.
Some characters were pretty enjoyable at least, especially that guy who looks like gilgamesh.. LOL
That ED... Nano ftw<3
also, Bamboo sword FTW! Oh wait... www
Jan 10, 2014 12:52 PM

Aug 2013
Interesting but a lot of actions in one episode xD my mind can't keep up .
Loved how that eye looked like and EN & OP are good

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Sensou Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2014

115 by PedroKarim64 »»
May 26, 2023 12:41 AM

Poll: » Mahou Sensou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

367 by Overcast93 »»
Aug 5, 2022 7:50 PM

Poll: » Who would you prefer to see with Takeshi?

ClawViper - Feb 15, 2014

43 by Foreall908 »»
Jul 4, 2022 10:08 AM

Poll: » Second Season ( 1 2 3 )

DrFluffyUnicorn - Mar 27, 2014

105 by Elzohry »»
May 16, 2022 3:21 PM

» Who does takashi nanase end up with ..

llansam - Jul 2, 2020

1 by AnOnYmOuS__101 »»
Dec 18, 2021 10:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.