Is free! is an gay anime?
Yes
48.7%
No
51.3%
76 votes
Jan 8, 2014 11:41 AM
Jan 2013
I don't know why you people say that free! is a gay anime.
Describe if you have a reason! If you don't have a reason, then please shut up.
Frost_KissFeb 12, 2014 8:51 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 8, 2014 11:42 AM

Sep 2012
Was this thread really necessary? Honestly?

Can't wait to prove everybody wrong though.
Jan 8, 2014 11:55 AM
Jan 2013
Red_Keys said:

Of course, there is one girl and few guys said that free! Is a gay anime.
Jan 8, 2014 1:08 PM

Dec 2012
Your avatar makes this thread hilarious.
Jan 8, 2014 1:11 PM

Dec 2012
That fucking anime list, fujoshi alert
Jan 8, 2014 1:11 PM
Jul 2012
ohh mang.

BEEFSTIX said:

yep, looks like it by this post. 0_0
Jan 8, 2014 1:13 PM

Sep 2012
It isn't a gay anime but the op has a gay avatar of the characters from Free!.

kkkkk
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Jan 8, 2014 1:13 PM

Jul 2013
It's more gar than Fist of the North Star.
Jan 8, 2014 1:22 PM

Dec 2012
If Free! is gay, every anime with a breast fondling bath/hot spring scene must be the epitomes of yuri.
Jan 8, 2014 1:23 PM

Sep 2012
"OP's avatar is gay, so the anime must be gay!1!"

NSFM:
Jan 8, 2014 1:28 PM

Sep 2012
Red_Keys said:
"OP's avatar is gay, so the anime must be gay!1!"

NSFM:
grats you wasted your time on something that wasn't even my implication

just pointing something out

about the anime's obvious target audience

gay men and fan girls
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Jan 8, 2014 1:29 PM

Dec 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
If Free! is gay, every anime with a breast fondling bath/hot spring scene must be the epitomes of yuri.

They are both fan-service. Free being gay is fan service since it's not relevant to the plot like a yaoi title.
Jan 9, 2014 1:07 AM

Oct 2012
Korrvo said:

gay men and fan girls

Gay men and girl stuff have different content fyi.

And hasn't this gay talk ended like 5 months ago?
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Jan 9, 2014 4:46 AM
Jan 2013
tsudecimo said:
Your avatar makes this thread hilarious.
BEEFSTIX said:
DarknessOfEmo said:
ohh mang.

BEEFSTIX said:

yep, looks like it by this post. 0_0

I've asked you a question, I didn't say "is free! is a gay anime...pls look at my avatar"
I can show u thousand anime, which Is nut Yuri but it has Yuri photo like this

http://www.zerochan.net/1653598
Jan 9, 2014 4:51 AM
Jan 2013
Itermin8rX said:

If it already ended, then y I'm asking dis question??
only few days ago i saw ppl r talking about it!!
Jan 9, 2014 5:16 AM
Jan 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
the "gay" controversy surrounding this is a result of fujoshi hype and wailing combined with people mistaking man-service for yaoi.

So we Fujoshi made Free gays??
Jan 9, 2014 7:11 AM

Jul 2013
lol

Does it really matter? Some people say guy on guy is gay, and some people say guy on guy is manly. I don't even know why you're asking this.
Jan 9, 2014 7:39 AM

Sep 2012
Frost_Kiss said:
Ratohnhaketon said:
the "gay" controversy surrounding this is a result of fujoshi hype and wailing combined with people mistaking man-service for yaoi.

No he's saying that dumbass insecure people project what they want to see onto the show (gayness). And then they take their projections and use it as a basis for criticism or judgement.

And, well, "fujoshi hype" would include things such as your avatar which, while fan art, if that's your only exposure to the series (gay fan art), I think you'd have some pretty strong predetermined opinions and expectations as to what it's about before actually watching it.
Jan 9, 2014 7:42 AM

Dec 2009
Red_Keys said:

OP is fucking butt hurt.
Jan 9, 2014 7:44 AM

Sep 2013
It's not a gay only anime, but I'd say it is one of the more popular animes among gay men and women who want manservice, for obvious reasons. So that's why some might call it "gay anime"
Jan 9, 2014 2:03 PM
Jan 2013
Red_Keys said:
Frost_Kiss said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

No he's saying that dumbass insecure people project what they want to see onto the show (gayness). And then they take their projections and use it as a basis for criticism or judgement.

And, well, "fujoshi hype" would include things such as your avatar which, while fan art, if that's your only exposure to the series (gay fan art), I think you'd have some pretty strong predetermined opinions and expectations as to what it's about before actually watching it.

Okay! Arigatou key chan.!!!
Jan 9, 2014 4:41 PM
Mar 2008
Frost_Kiss said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

Even though this topic looks like it's just a means to accuse people of being homophobic, under SOME schools of literary criticism this is actually correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reader-response_criticism
In some forms of reader-response criticism a "reader" "interprets" a "text" and adds "meaning" to it. As opposed to a text having an inherent meaning independent of outside forces.

In the case of Free! a "reader" can look at the "interactions" of the teammates and assign them the meaning of "sexual" and/or "romantic" "attraction". Under these forms of reader-response criticism such a reading can be considered "valid". (Of course one can look at the characters interaction and NOT assign them a meaning of "sexual and/or romantic" attraction, or even look at the interactions between male/female pairs and assign THEM a meaning of "sexual and/or romantic" attraction.)

Anyway it's more complicated than that but this is the important stuff about whether Free! is a "gay" anime.

Anyway most people usually look at texts from lots of different angles so they also take stuff like "authorial intent" (I.e creator interviews and marketing) or "greater context" (I.e comparisons with other works and the greater market) into account.

So most of the time people's thoughts about a work are a messy chimera of intentional subjectivity and attempted objectivity. Which they use because they still want their interpretations to remain grounded in reality. They do this by looking for "evidence" of the "correctness" of their views (often both in and out of the text).
Ash-Falls-TownJan 9, 2014 4:47 PM
Jan 10, 2014 10:00 AM
Jan 2013
Ash-Falls-Town said:
Frost_Kiss said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

Even though this topic looks like it's just a means to accuse people of being homophobic, under SOME schools of literary criticism this is actually correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reader-response_criticism
In some forms of reader-response criticism a "reader" "interprets" a "text" and adds "meaning" to it. As opposed to a text having an inherent meaning independent of outside forces.

In the case of Free! a "reader" can look at the "interactions" of the teammates and assign them the meaning of "sexual" and/or "romantic" "attraction". Under these forms of reader-response criticism such a reading can be considered "valid". (Of course one can look at the characters interaction and NOT assign them a meaning of "sexual and/or romantic" attraction, or even look at the interactions between male/female pairs and assign THEM a meaning of "sexual and/or romantic" attraction.)

Anyway it's more complicated than that but this is the important stuff about whether Free! is a "gay" anime.

Anyway most people usually look at texts from lots of different angles so they also take stuff like "authorial intent" (I.e creator interviews and marketing) or "greater context" (I.e comparisons with other works and the greater market) into account.

So most of the time people's thoughts about a work are a messy chimera of intentional subjectivity and attempted objectivity. Which they use because they still want their interpretations to remain grounded in reality. They do this by looking for "evidence" of the "correctness" of their views (often both in and out of the text).

OK.
Jan 12, 2014 7:25 PM

Mar 2010
Ratohnhaketon said:

SOME people should Stop being such a bitch. MEN AND WOMEN HAVE DIFFERENT TRAITS , why can people realize this? Of course such of an act IN this particular anime would leads SOME people into thinking it homosexual .
It is normal behaviour for a girl holding a girl , but a man to man is different . There are HUGE different between reality and OVERLY fantasy 'gay'-friend thinking. Just accept it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2014 7:27 PM

Nov 2010
Sebastian333 said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

SOME people should Stop being such a bitch. MEN AND WOMEN HAVE DIFFERENT TRAITS , why can people realize this? Of course such of an act IN this particular anime would leads SOME people into thinking it homosexual .
It is normal behaviour for a girl holding a girl , but a man to man is different . There are HUGE different between reality and OVERLY fantasy 'gay'-friend thinking. Just accept it.
You make no sense.
Jan 12, 2014 7:34 PM

Sep 2012
Sebastian333 said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

Gender doesn't make that much of a difference.

If I kissed one of my friends on the cheek it would probably come off as heterosexual. It depends on the people, not the gender.
Jan 13, 2014 9:26 AM
Jan 2013
Sebastian333 said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

It is normal behaviour for a girl holding a girl , but a man to man is
different . There are HUGE different between reality and OVERLY fantasy 'gay'-friend thinking. Just accept it.

What? I didn't get you. Where is your answer? Yes or no? If yes, then write a reason! Plus no need to write your story life.
Jan 13, 2014 9:53 AM

Dec 2013
I wouldn't say the anime is gay. Well, the way they portrayed some of the characters did seem gay (Nagisa). Nothing wrong with it though, since it had a good story and many other elements that made me give it a good rating

I think people would say it's gay just because the anime was short and we didn't know much about the backstory of everyone. But we can say that they were all close and carefree with each other. All of the characters in Free! were well developed except Nagisa lol... he got annoying at times.
"When does a man die? When he is hit by a bullet? No! When he suffers a disease? No! When he ate a soup made out of a poisonous mushroom? No! A man dies when he is forgotten!"
- Dr. Hiluluk
Jan 13, 2014 9:48 PM

Oct 2012
Frost_Kiss said:
Itermin8rX said:

If it already ended, then y I'm asking dis question??
only few days ago i saw ppl r talking about it!!

Sorry for late reply.
First of all - it's done and that's that.
Secondly, manchildren are just a bunch of insecure fags themselves as well. If they weren't gay, they wouldn't get their boners up and hating on the first place because "they aren't attracted to men".
Thirdly, it being 'gay' doesn't make a difference whether you like it, or if its good or bad unless if it overuses it like Maken Ki does with its panty shots.
Lastly, ignore the fat moefags who count BD ripped torrents as "buying BluRay", just enjoy the damn show.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Jan 13, 2014 10:18 PM

Jul 2013
because they wanted to be Free!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTHdud-KsUk
Jan 18, 2014 9:59 PM

May 2010
honestly i HOPE it is haha but this is just a show between men who have strong friendship bond.
Jan 30, 2014 12:54 AM

Jun 2012
I can feel myself turning gay as I watch.
Shoot first, think never.
Feb 5, 2014 12:57 PM

Feb 2013
I wish it was mwaha.
This world is made of...

Love and Peace! (><)-V
Feb 8, 2014 11:55 AM

Nov 2013
i guess officially it isn't, but there's hell of a lot of sexual tension there, especially between rin and haru, so it's both or neither, or sth
mitch3315 said:
Sasuke and Naruto kissed, show is obviously hardcore yaoi.
Feb 10, 2014 8:13 PM

Oct 2013
Not at all. Even though I don't mind shipping it's supposed to be about friendship and swimming. Fangirls only see what they want to see and try to make bromance = gay. None of these pairings will ever really happen.

Though to be fair kyoani really panders to the fangirls with ship teases. Did you see those underwater pairing official art? Especially the Rei/Nagisa, Rin/Haru, Makoto/Haru, and Makoto/Rin ones. That's as far as it will go. No one is actually gay for each other despite what the massive shipping fandom thinks. Even though I wouldn't mind, I'm not gonna delude myself.

Leave shipping in fandom because it's only about friendship and bromance in the show.
Feb 10, 2014 8:14 PM

Apr 2011
aimed towards females != gay
Feb 10, 2014 9:29 PM
Jan 2013
it depends on how you see it... as for me it's gay

or maybe the anime was really for girls to begin with.
Feb 12, 2014 8:54 AM
Jan 2013
OKAY! Minna, it's been decided that Free is NOT a gay anime. So all the ppl who have just voted yes without any reason are compulsory jealous.
Jul 15, 2015 10:14 PM
May 2015
Frost_Kiss said:
I don't know why you people say that free! is a gay anime.
Describe if you have a reason! If you don't have a reason, then please shut up.
yes and is sexist to men
Jul 15, 2015 10:16 PM

Apr 2014

^Maybe not gay, but definitely pandering to thirsty girls.
Nov 27, 2015 9:48 AM
Nov 2015
Free is the most gay thing i ever seen in my life
Nov 28, 2015 4:34 PM
Nov 2015
mmks73 said:
Free is the most gay thing i ever seen in my life

i agree
Nov 28, 2015 11:31 PM
May 2014
I really wish it were....
Jan 12, 2016 2:45 AM

Oct 2014
Frost_Kiss said:
OKAY! Minna, it's been decided that Free is NOT a gay anime. So all the ppl who have just voted yes without any reason are compulsory jealous.

absolute yes for gay anime

lately I always workout in the gym and finally have a six pack
and every dude i meet there which has decent body don't behave like this show ...
except he's gay or interested in the same sex.

I guarantee
gembelelaJan 12, 2016 11:28 PM
Saber
Jan 12, 2016 2:49 AM

Nov 2011
Gay is a free anime.

Feb 4, 2016 10:59 AM

Jun 2010
Few guys showing their skin and people say this show is yaoi. I really hate stupid people.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 4, 2016 11:02 AM

Jun 2010
gembelela said:
Frost_Kiss said:

absolute yes for gay anime

lately I always workout in the gym and finally have a six pack
and every dude i meet there which has decent body don't behave like this show ...
except he's gay or interested in the same sex.

I guarantee

And that has something to do with this show? No.
So no one's interested.
Feb 4, 2016 11:21 AM
Feb 2016
It is whatever you want it to be , #Nohomo #Allthehomo ;)
I saw nothing .
Feb 4, 2016 11:26 AM

Dec 2015
What's a gay anime? Yaoi? Are you asking if it's yaoi?

No it's not yaoi, but it is manly moe. Manly moe isn't gay though.
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 6, 2016 4:36 AM

Apr 2015
It's a swimming anime for god's sake.

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Free! shows demographic matters more than ever

Sanjay63773 - Jan 23

8 by Yaoi4U »»
Apr 3, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Free! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lpf - Jul 24, 2013

315 by Luisito14 »»
Mar 21, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2013

408 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2013

145 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2013

170 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.