Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2014 2:50 AM

Jan 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
ridojiriFeb 22, 2016 6:44 AM
Jan 8, 2014 5:28 AM

May 2012
OLM, the studio that made this, is the same studio making Pokemon anyway.
(However from what I see I'm pretty certain it's not the same studio number making it, so quality of both cannot be compared. This is definitely on the lower end of animation quality from OLM.)

The OP and ED had parts of songs and dances that sounded/looked pretty childish (kindergarden school age type). I wonder if that was really the target audience for a title that sold over 200,000 3DS game copies in Japan. I refer to the second part of the OP which contributed to the disjoint (the first OP half was good) and the entire ED.

I expect this anime to be between 5~7ish score.

It was pretty entertaining otherwise for a typical cartoon that targets a younger age group.
sentienceJan 8, 2014 5:57 AM
Jan 9, 2014 7:37 AM
Apr 2013
sentience said:
(However from what I see I'm pretty certain it's not the same studio number making it, so quality of both cannot be compared. This is definitely on the lower end of animation quality from OLM.)

The OP and ED had parts of songs and dances that sounded/looked pretty childish (kindergarden school age type). I wonder if that was really the target audience for a title that sold over 200,000 3DS game copies in Japan. I refer to the second part of the OP which contributed to the disjoint (the first OP half was good) and the entire ED.

It was pretty entertaining otherwise for a typical cartoon that targets a younger age group.

and I still wonder why pokemon can get a 7.8 score..
Is childish and more to younger ages means a negative point to the anime?

Even pokemon is just repeating its basic anime formula with hundreds od episodes
Jan 10, 2014 12:46 AM

Dec 2013
DATS24 said:
sentience said:

Even pokemon is just repeating its basic anime formula with hundreds od episodes

Pokemon XY deserves a 8 or 9.... It's really that good this time around btw with all the director/ writer changes unlike Best Wishes which is like 3/10.

Back on topic, This anime seems childish but pretty entertaining so i might keep watching since i like anything from Level 5

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Jan 10, 2014 4:01 AM

Feb 2012
And the Danball Senki Series (Level 5 franchise), with good battle choregraphy and glorious Rei Kondoh Soundtrack, stopped because of this (Other Level 5 franchise).
I'm devastated...
Jan 10, 2014 9:35 AM
Apr 2013
KiraSeika said:
DATS24 said:
sentience said:

Pokemon XY deserves a 8 or 9.... It's really that good this time around btw with all the director/ writer changes unlike Best Wishes which is like 3/10.

Back on topic, This anime seems childish but pretty entertaining so i might keep watching since i like anything from Level 5

lol.. a 8 or 9 score? don't make me laugh..

pokemon anime is still the same, they only make a bit changes.. how does it deserve to get 8 or 9 score? does it have a good story? good characters? no..
Satoshit is still a fool 10 yrs old, and team rocket still blasting off, meet many random useless characters, battling trainers with no apparent reason, etc..

does it deserve a 8 or 9 score? if it's digimon or pokemon movies, I can agree, but this is pokemon anime with a more than useless 100 episodes if I expect..

you'd better watch Legendz: Tale of Dragon King instead of pokemon, trust me, it's so much better mon series as some digimon seasons
DATS24Jan 10, 2014 9:55 AM
Jan 10, 2014 11:46 AM
May 2013
Did you guys saw the raw right? Cuz i can't find a translation of this :<
Jan 11, 2014 12:23 AM

May 2012
DATS24 said:

Good that you asked. The OP/ED for Youkai Watch being childish isn't fine as it limits the show to only the target demographic of kindegarden or elementary school children, when there are clearly a lot of people of other age ranges who are into the collecting aspects. The Pokemon or Digimon fandom is very much the proof of this. This is a big shame as the animation seems pretty accessible to people of any age group, not just their target demographics of only children.

Also, I did not mean to say that animation targetting the younger ages is a bad thing. I'm also not afraid to say that I enjoy such cartoons even when I am out of that age group. I mainly had problems with the kiddy dance moves/song in the ED and parts of the OP. (See reason on first paragraph for why this is a problem.)

Pokemon is probably not for everyone and may not for you, but there are plenty of people who appreciate the game (it was the best selling 3DS game for months so far, and was top of the chart in Japan recently). It's not your job to kill that joy for the others who enjoy the anime and rate it highly. The games have always followed that standard formula of collecting and exploring while bringing in novelties, that worked for many years and the anime is doing the same right now. The anime was boring before XY, but now I honestly enjoy the change in artstyle and also the finer details of the battles in the anime (that wouldn't be technically possible within the game). (Also, Team Rocket doesn't always appear in every episode. The previous one had a different type of baddie.)

Yes Pokemon has one-time characters but that doesn't mean that they are useless. They are there to teach a story or serve an important plot device. I enjoy the many finer details of the story that I wouldn't enjoy in the game. Citron as the mad inventor is pretty entertaining. Also, they are now more free to express various ideas with the anime. It doesn't strictly follow the game storyline progression, instead it adds on to the understanding of certain parts of the game.

Pokemon XY deserves its 7~8 score. Other than the improved story, which sometimes bring important life lessons with them if you look deep enough, there are animated details in the background, such that hardly any part of it looks static or boring. I could find plenty of these static screens in Youkai Watch's animation however, which is why I said it was the lower end of animation from OLM.

The lower animation quality for Youkai Watch is understandable however since it is a new series with promise, but not a lot of support for now. Pokemon started out this way too, and now Pokemon XY sold 4 million worldwide compared to Youkai Watch's meagre 200k. Also, Youkai are very specific to Japan, so there is another problem with localising it elsewhere. It will become a niche series but not the same level of success as Pokemon. Time will tell however.

OmniKaiser said:
And the Danball Senki Series (Level 5 franchise), with good battle choregraphy and glorious Rei Kondoh Soundtrack, stopped because of this (Other Level 5 franchise).
I'm devastated...

No need to hate this series just because it "stole" timeslot of the other series, if that show is that good and can gain enough support, it will come back.

Besides, Youkai Watch taking this slot for now also gives them enough time to think up of new ideas for future Danball series and properly work on them. I have seen consecutive series that did not take breaks and the following series suffered highly because of it and viewer fatigue.
sentienceJan 11, 2014 12:45 AM
Jan 11, 2014 1:16 AM

Feb 2012
sentience said:
OmniKaiser said:
I'm devastated...

No need to hate this series just because it "stole" timeslot of the other series, if that show is that good and can gain enough support, it will come back.

Well... I don't really hate Youkai watch (1 episode is not enough to judge it). If hate there was, it would be more towards the third Level 5 show : Inazuma Eleven.
While the first 3 seasons were good (with WTF shaolin soccer football, but good), the GO series went even further and is completely random (tons of new character each seasons, which destroy character developement, with WTF transformation/fusion of characters. space-time travel, real aliens and all. Random soccer field like pinball, ice ground, etc...).

To me, they should have kept Danball Senki, and planned Youkai watch on IE:GO (but I guess the IE games sell more than DS).
I hope you'll be right about a future DS series again, but I doubt it when I see how they handled the end of Danball Senki WARS, being rushed and all.
Jan 11, 2014 7:11 AM
Apr 2013
sentience said:
DATS24 said:

Good that you asked. The OP/ED for Youkai Watch being childish isn't fine as it limits the show to only the target demographic of kindegarden or elementary school children, when there are clearly a lot of people of other age ranges who are into the collecting aspects. The Pokemon or Digimon fandom is very much the proof of this. This is a big shame as the animation seems pretty accessible to people of any age group, not just their target demographics of only children.

Also, I did not mean to say that animation targetting the younger ages is a bad thing. I'm also not afraid to say that I enjoy such cartoons even when I am out of that age group. I mainly had problems with the kiddy dance moves/song in the ED and parts of the OP. (See reason on first paragraph for why this is a problem.)

Pokemon is probably not for everyone and may not for you, but there are plenty of people who appreciate the game (it was the best selling 3DS game for months so far, and was top of the chart in Japan recently). It's not your job to kill that joy for the others who enjoy the anime and rate it highly. The games have always followed that standard formula of collecting and exploring while bringing in novelties, that worked for many years and the anime is doing the same right now. The anime was boring before XY, but now I honestly enjoy the change in artstyle and also the finer details of the battles in the anime (that wouldn't be technically possible within the game). (Also, Team Rocket doesn't always appear in every episode. The previous one had a different type of baddie.)

Yes Pokemon has one-time characters but that doesn't mean that they are useless. They are there to teach a story or serve an important plot device. I enjoy the many finer details of the story that I wouldn't enjoy in the game. Citron as the mad inventor is pretty entertaining. Also, they are now more free to express various ideas with the anime. It doesn't strictly follow the game storyline progression, instead it adds on to the understanding of certain parts of the game.

Pokemon XY deserves its 7~8 score. Other than the improved story, which sometimes bring important life lessons with them if you look deep enough, there are animated details in the background, such that hardly any part of it looks static or boring. I could find plenty of these static screens in Youkai Watch's animation however, which is why I said it was the lower end of animation from OLM.

The lower animation quality for Youkai Watch is understandable however since it is a new series with promise, but not a lot of support for now. Pokemon started out this way too, and now Pokemon XY sold 4 million worldwide compared to Youkai Watch's meagre 200k. Also, Youkai are very specific to Japan, so there is another problem with localising it elsewhere. It will become a niche series but not the same level of success as Pokemon. Time will tell however.

OmniKaiser said:
I'm devastated...

Besides, Youkai Watch taking this slot for now also gives them enough time to think up of new ideas for future Danball series and properly work on them. I have seen consecutive series that did not take breaks and the following series suffered highly because of it and viewer fatigue.

but hey, I enjoyed the game too, also the movies. And I watched some hundreds episodes before I got really bored. Maybe you're right, some of the minor characters aren't that wasted, but mostly are, and very unmemorable, just a plot device to stalling its episodes until they make a new series of the game. Life lesson? hmm the only I got is battling ppl with no apparent reason and catching pokemon without being like team rocket (team rocket's pokemon were willingly accepted to join their parties instead of being forcely caught like most of Satoshit's)

Nah, main character is the only thing I hate the most, never mature generally, still being silly, also still 10 yrs old.. Pikachu.. oh man... pikachu..

Srsly you'd better give a try for another mon (even the niche one) series that are much more awesome than pokemon like Legendz: Tale of Dragon King or Gekifu Bakegyamon.. They deserve as high as some of digimon series' scores (8-9 points)

Pokemon just don't know when to end
DATS24Jan 11, 2014 7:17 AM
Jan 11, 2014 8:11 PM

May 2012
DATS24 said:
but hey, I enjoyed the game too, also the movies. And I watched some hundreds episodes before I got really bored. Maybe you're right, some of the minor characters aren't that wasted, but mostly are, and very unmemorable, just a plot device to stalling its episodes until they make a new series of the game. Life lesson? hmm the only I got is battling ppl with no apparent reason and catching pokemon without being like team rocket (team rocket's pokemon were willingly accepted to join their parties instead of being forcely caught like most of Satoshit's)

Nah, main character is the only thing I hate the most, never mature generally, still being silly, also still 10 yrs old.. Pikachu.. oh man... pikachu..

Srsly you'd better give a try for another mon (even the niche one) series that are much more awesome than pokemon like Legendz: Tale of Dragon King or Gekifu Bakegyamon.. They deserve as high as some of digimon series' scores (8-9 points)

Pokemon just don't know when to end

I took a look at the art style and synopsis of those recommendations and to be honest I didn't really like them. Like I said, it's a matter of personal taste of whatever you like.

I know you dropped Pokemon XY, but if you have the time, just watch a single episode 9 of Pokemon XY and tell me what you see.

Your main complaint of Satoshi always being the main character is something a lot of people have been saying, but for some reason it would be hard to get rid of him. Also, Pikachu is very popular, it's not going to be easy to replace it. My only explanation will be the voice actors tied to the anime, nothing else.

Granted, if they ever changed the artstyle and story to something like the BW2 trailers or Pokemon Origins, I'm sure the quality would go right up. The only problem is that they will not be able to sustain as many episodes as they can right now. It's pretty obvious that they are trying to hold people's attention through anime before the next Pokemon game.
sentienceJan 11, 2014 8:16 PM
Jan 12, 2014 12:21 AM
Apr 2013
sentience said:

I took a look at the art style and synopsis of those recommendations and to be honest I didn't really like them. Like I said, it's a matter of personal taste of whatever you like.

I know you dropped Pokemon XY, but if you have the time, just watch a single episode 9 of Pokemon XY and tell me what you see.

Your main complaint of Satoshi always being the main character is something a lot of people have been saying, but for some reason it would be hard to get rid of him. Also, Pikachu is very popular, it's not going to be easy to replace it. My only explanation will be the voice actors tied to the anime, nothing else.

Granted, if they ever changed the artstyle and story to something like the BW2 trailers or Pokemon Origins, I'm sure the quality would go right up. The only problem is that they will not be able to sustain as many episodes as they can right now. It's pretty obvious that they are trying to hold people's attention through anime before the next Pokemon game.

Oh, so the main thing for you is the art style. Yes, the one I recommend, the arts aren't promising, though (especially that Legendz). But you just haven't fallen to the episodes. Those are not your average kids show, and the synopsis there aren't helping..

Yeah, even digimon can change its very popular mascot, agumon.. Pokemon just isn't brave to do.. you dropped digimon adventure, is there a problem with it?
DATS24Jan 12, 2014 3:45 AM
Jan 12, 2014 5:33 AM

May 2012
DATS24 said:
Oh, so the main thing for you is the art style. Yes, the one I recommend, the arts aren't promising, though (especially that Legendz). But you just haven't fallen to the episodes. Those are not your average kids show, and the synopsis there aren't helping..

Yeah, even digimon can change its very popular mascot, agumon.. Pokemon just isn't brave to do.. you dropped digimon adventure, is there a problem with it?

I don't read synopsis here, I read the ones on Wikipedia.
I surveyed a few people about Pokemon and the first thing they say about it is Pikachu. So for them to change mascot is not advisable and I personally wouldn't support it. It will be a disaster if they change it like what so many of these other niche series do.

Digimon is fine but beyond the first series I cannot find any interest in it. The monster designs are a bit rough somehow and not as cute as what you find in Pokemon. I also didn't enjoy the changes in Digimon at all. I'm not a fan of part of the industry's practice to regularly change all the leads each season.

Also, don't take it personally but there are different things needed for a monster collect series to appeal to females.
Jan 12, 2014 8:23 AM
Apr 2013
sentience said:

I don't read synopsis here, I read the ones on Wikipedia.
I surveyed a few people about Pokemon and the first thing they say about it is Pikachu. So for them to change mascot is not advisable and I personally wouldn't support it. It will be a disaster if they change it like what so many of these other niche series do.

Digimon is fine but beyond the first series I cannot find any interest in it. The monster designs are a bit rough somehow and not as cute as what you find in Pokemon. I also didn't enjoy the changes in Digimon at all. I'm not a fan of part of the industry's practice to regularly change all the leads each season.

Also, don't take it personally but there are different things needed for a monster collect series to appeal to females.

oh, I see. So, you're mostly seeking for the cutie one.. well, actualy digimon have too for their babies and some child digimon like culumon and terriermon in digimon tamers. But mostly the designs are rather mature and ferocious. Since you're a female, maybe you aren't interested in "shounen involved in CyberPunk" one like Digimon Tamers, so I can understand that..
Jan 15, 2014 6:36 AM

Sep 2013
this is finally getting subbed! :) yaaay haha
i liked it for a first ep ^^ the characters are fun

especially keita and jibanyan lol :P poor guy
i hope they meet emi next ep and confront her ugh
Jan 15, 2014 7:34 AM

May 2012
Saw the subs, it was what I expected, quite funny to watch.
Still a shame people are rating this lowly even when they haven't watched the episode to understand it.
Jan 15, 2014 1:32 PM

Jul 2010
Really like it. Jibanyan always getting hit by a truck lol
Hyuga Junpei: “Yeah… I’m confident… Because my teammates will help me out! I can shoot confidently.. because it will be okay even if I miss!”

Kagami Taiga: “I don’t know about being the bad guy or whatever. It’s only in stories where titles like that decide the loser. This is our show. We’re the ones who are writing the script.”
Jan 15, 2014 6:39 PM

Jul 2013
Very funny kids show with beautiful colours. Jibanyan is adorable. It looks like a combination of Ben 10 and Pokemon, but I find it quite catchy, so I'll keep watching it. I am really curious to see new ghosts every week
Jan 15, 2014 7:41 PM
Mar 2012
Pretty okay for a children's show, though Jibanyan was pretty annoying. I liked the opening theme though, pretty catchy stuff
Jan 17, 2014 4:50 AM

May 2012
7/10 for Jibanyan!
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jan 18, 2014 3:23 PM

Mar 2012
Youkipedia. That's everything I have to say about this anime. 4/10
Jun 6, 2014 5:21 AM
Jun 2014
JIBANYAN is my favorite...its much better than pokemon!
Aug 12, 2015 7:31 AM

Aug 2007
I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty hyped about the game coming out later this year.
I decided to watch the anime to get more of a taste for it.
I believe the Japan feel will either make or break this, but Pokemon needs some competition.

Nov 17, 2015 4:39 AM

Jan 2015
Not a bad first episode. The first half was boring in my opinion, but I really enjoyed the second half.
Looking forward to the next episode.
Nov 19, 2015 10:30 PM

Sep 2010
This show is cute and funny. The storyline is entertaining. The Yokai are part of classical Japanese myths, which is a plus for me. Unpopular opinion: I think the Yokai have cuter designs than the ones in Pokemon. Yokai are more colorful and it's okay for them to be human-like.
Apr 24, 2016 1:17 PM

Jul 2013
I’d been looking forward to this for a while :3

I think Pokemon XY and XYZ so far are worth about an 8/9, it's a great series, just saying.

I'd say this isn't really that similar, I didn't get the same kind of vibes and this kid is meant to be 12 so it said on the information of the dub I watched so older than Ash although I'd say he looks the same age.

I very much enjoyed it and Johnny Yong Bosch as Nate in the dub is cool.

It was funny how it started and yes, did those machines exist 190 years ago? lol.

I do think that maybe little kids would have no clue what some of the words meant in the dub although I like when they use slightly more grown up words so I think it's good.

It was funny how he met Whisper.

It was mean when he showed Katie that stag beetle that she said it was average like him and his face, awww. I take it he likes her, although if that's her attitude towards him maybe he shouldn't.

It was nice to see all the stuff explained quite well in the first episode.

So the Yokai can influence people by making them argue and happy etc and even get married, that's so interesting! I didn't expect aspects like that tbh. I'm glad they got those two back together.

Jibanyan is super cute! I'd seen pictures and toys of him on Amazon even, I'd love a plushie of him, so cute! <3

I can't believe his owner Amy said she couldn't believe he got ran over and that it made him lame! that's cruel! especially as she didn't see how fast the truck went, what a horrible girl and he was trying to take on all the trucks after inspiriting people and he kept getting hit, that was funny and sad. Eye of the Tiger lol. Someone likes the Rocky movies. The one time he got hit by the truck it looked very much like he blasted off like Team Rocket.

It was nice how he became Nate's friend and he got that friendship medal for it.

I think the Yokai watch looks pretty rad and cool it lets him see them. It's a bit sad he can never take it off though! lol.

I wanted to watch this before the game came out and was so glad when a channel in the UK picked it up, I can't wait to watch the rest <3

I definitely can't wait to play the game!

I have episode 2 recorded too and so far I love it already.

The Yokai are really cute <3
stephtastropheApr 24, 2016 1:31 PM
Aug 28, 2016 11:41 PM

May 2009
Pretty entertaining and better than I expected. This show will probably be funny
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Oct 25, 2019 4:16 PM

Sep 2011
I love how Keita pretty much didn't bat an eye to Whisper's existence after breaking his seal, and just wanted to keep searching for a rare insect. xD Those youkai that affected the mood were kind of weird, but it was kind of cute to see Keita's parents sharing a pudding after they were no longer under Donyoriinu's influence. Jibanyan is pretty cute too! It's sad that he had to die like that, but at least he is no longer alone now that he became Keita's friend. Oh, and I loved the OP, and the ED too, they are pretty catchy!
May 19, 2021 4:40 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The white ghost is so annoying at least the cat is kinda fun

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youkai Watch Episode 15 Discussion

Asuka_10 - Jun 26, 2014

5 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Sep 24, 2023 1:46 PM

Poll: » Youkai Watch Episode 211 Discussion

Fayrin - Mar 7, 2020

1 by RaMPiPOC »»
Jul 26, 2023 8:20 AM

» Any chance for YW to return to the west for the 10th anniversary?

VanVeleca - Mar 28, 2023

3 by ReaperCreeper »»
Jul 5, 2023 12:32 AM

Poll: » Youkai Watch Episode 191 Discussion

ReaperCreeper - Feb 11, 2020

2 by 3miL »»
Nov 22, 2020 9:32 PM

Poll: » Youkai Watch Episode 214 Discussion

Fayrin - Mar 8, 2020

0 by Fayrin »»
Mar 8, 2020 4:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.