Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Butler
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 10, 2009 9:37 PM

Dec 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A bit scattered, but I enjoyed the episode if not simply for the back stories.

Also, sniper/past Meilin = <333

There is nothing in this world more ugly than imperfection
Mar 11, 2009 4:28 AM

Nov 2007
yay finally revealed everyone's past, Bard's and Meryl's were somewhat unexpected O_O not enough depth to the revelation of each but oh well, glad my suspicions of Meryl got confirmed, next few episodes should be great =D although I wonder if a season 2 will come out.
Mar 11, 2009 5:21 AM

Feb 2009
Yes, even though the flash backs were a bit scattered. We did get to see the past of the servants. I myself did not expect a lot of it. Good episode though.

I looked on the Torrents there is no episode 22 in raw form. Only up to Episode 21. I'm downloading the raw form right now to see if they are the same.

BeaveMar 11, 2009 6:08 AM
Mar 11, 2009 11:12 AM

Feb 2009
I think Maylene had the most surprising past, the other two's were hinted at earlier. It was interesting to see them in action when usually they just destroy the mansion.

Season 2 would be awesome, they could continue on the manga archs some more. ^^
Mar 11, 2009 1:47 PM

Dec 2008
About time we caught a glimpse of the rest of the servants' pasts. I dare admit that Maylene was completely unpredictable. Her transition from dark assassin to quirky maid was not to be expected at all. The scenes did seem a little out of the order, but that's irrelevant. We still understood the episode and we understood it well. :]

Good episode. Hope to see some more action especially in regards to the queen and her "devious" plans to invade France. The suspense continues to build!
~ SilentMuse, At Your Service. ~
Mar 11, 2009 1:54 PM

Mar 2008
I simply loved this episode ♥
Mar 11, 2009 2:09 PM

Dec 2008
Ah, what a good episode, reminded me of how much I love all the characters in Kuroshitsuji.
Maylene, I wasn't expecting sniper, but I did have a feeling she was more badass and srs business than we were let on to know. Bard's was my favorite, since I looooove war and the whole 'I'm the commanding officer, stfu!' bullshit that's always there, so Bard.<3 Uh, I guess Finnian is the Hulk or something, but whatever, next to Ciel he's the cutest on the show. (Note: cute, not attractive). And Tanaka was lol every time he showed up.
Ciel made all my favorite faces for him: |: and >:T and >: and also that weird sort of a smile but more of a smirk, yet he also looks pissed off but says something mean that's nice in his own way look, you know?
So much good, so little time. >:

Edit: ALSO OMG, it was so obvious Elizabeth's voice actor is also Rika Furude's VA from Higurashi. The niii~ and very near hauuu~ totally made me go '...R-Rika?' xD
ilhoonMar 11, 2009 3:16 PM
Mar 11, 2009 2:31 PM

Dec 2008
I liked this episode. They completely don't follow the manga, but that's good in it's own way. Although the way the servants' pasts were revealed wasn't made really well, it's nice to know their backgrounds. They were all unexpected in a way, but Finnian's past was implied before.

Also, I liked the other side of Meilin. The contrast is good. :3
Mar 11, 2009 2:34 PM

Feb 2009
For one I knew that the servants were kinda weird none of them does their job right! So I am not surprised by this episode well except for Meilin I didn't know her specialty.
Mar 11, 2009 3:16 PM

Jul 2008
Utter garbage this episode =/
Mar 11, 2009 7:05 PM

Dec 2007
this was a ok episode, I guess there had to be some reason as to why Bard, Finnian and Meilin, that are always wrecking the mansion, and giving trouble to Sebastian, to be hired...
Meilin is awesome, but I´m pretty sure her eyes were blue before, and not brown oO
Mar 11, 2009 8:56 PM

Dec 2008
maykipz said:
Edit: ALSO OMG, it was so obvious Elizabeth's voice actor is also Rika Furude's VA from Higurashi. The niii~ and very near hauuu~ totally made me go '...R-Rika?' xD

W-WHAT. I MUST BE STUPID. D: -wasn't paying attention to her-

Mar 11, 2009 9:51 PM

Aug 2008
This was a terrible episode. What was it really supposed to do in the grand scope of things? Show how big an asshole Ciel is? We already knew about Finnian, and could pretty much guess something similar about the other two, but does Ciel even know? This episode would have made more sense had it been aired earlier, but this late into the show makes it seem so extraneous. I just totally didn't get the point at all.
Mar 11, 2009 9:58 PM

Nov 2008
I agree with noteD, I think that this episode was pretty pointless. This close to the ending they shouldn't be needing such filler-like episodes.

Sakuya ~ Thanks very much for the link! =]
Mar 12, 2009 3:05 AM

Sep 2008
It may be rather pointless but I still enjoyed it because those three actually came in useful for once. I certainly didn't expect Maylene's past to be that of a sniper O.o
Chicken + Dictionary + Dictionary = CMC. Eeyup.
Mar 12, 2009 4:07 AM

Dec 2008
Kyora said:
maykipz said:

W-WHAT. I MUST BE STUPID. D: -wasn't paying attention to her-

Usually I don't pay attention to her either, but having just watched some Higurashi it was almost obnoxiously obvious. xD
Mar 12, 2009 8:36 AM

Jun 2008
favorite episode ever
Mar 12, 2009 9:09 AM

Jun 2008
so there is a purpose for hiring such useless servants even though the Phantomhives are rich nobles.

i have to agree that this episode is quite pointless. i rather they stick to the current arc and be done with the series.

i don't know why but most of the characters in this series grates my nerves.
Mar 12, 2009 10:28 AM

Apr 2007
SO Meilin was a sercret GAR. I didn't see that coming at all.

Mar 12, 2009 2:17 PM

Feb 2009
This is redundant but I still absolutely hate Elizabeth. And her voice. Her high pitched voice makes me cringe every time she's on screen.

Aside from that, Meilin being what she is wasn't a surprise to me. When Ciel was kidnapped loooong ago, when a sniper tried to shoot Sebastian, it was Meilin who detected it and pushed Sebastian out of harm's way. So since then, it was already hinted that she was related to that sort of occupation.

All in all, it really was kind of random. And sad that they were only introduced this late. If they were discovered earlier, they could have helped Ciel and he would have had actual allies. -Shrug- Let's see what happens next, I guess.
Mar 12, 2009 3:23 PM
Jan 2009
It was interesting to know how all of the servants came together, but... sort of felt like a filler episode to me. :/ But I guess this was the break before the finale, and it had some good points too. Ok episode.

I really hope the end is gonna be good.
Mar 12, 2009 4:48 PM

Apr 2008
The back stores were WIN!
Is no one in that mansion normal...?!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 13, 2009 7:31 AM

Jul 2007
Xephia said:
I agree with noteD, I think that this episode was pretty pointless. This close to the ending they shouldn't be needing such filler-like episodes.

Sakuya ~ Thanks very much for the link! =]

Aren't they needing it because half of the anime is filler/totally different so there's kind of no other way than to finish it with fillers also....? Filler arcs move on slowly.

Since I'm kinda suspicious about the anime, I enjoyed this episode. Was lovely. Meilin-chan is awesome :3
Need to make new sig. Soon. Maybe.
Mar 13, 2009 12:58 PM

Mar 2008
Best episode so far.
Mar 13, 2009 1:05 PM

May 2008
Gaia said:
Best episode so far.

yepp,

"Hai bottchan!" (Or however you spell it >.<)
Mar 13, 2009 4:09 PM

Nov 2008
I really loved it! Before this episode I thought I liked the detective-story side of this anime, but the thing I enjoy the most here turned to be the weird cosiness of the mansion. Everyone loves Ciel so much!
Did he understand what happened? I guess he did. I also think the mafia is a clue to his parents' death.

Credits for the av go to whispering-eden.livejournal.com =)
I used to be Dolce_Vitka here, but Vitka_Lynx is my nickname at alost all other sites, so I decided to take it here, too ^___^
Mar 13, 2009 10:16 PM
Aug 2008
i wonder... is there gonna be a second season cuz i dun think ciel can accomplish his whole goal and such in time for sebastian to kill him and all and all in like the next 3 episodes and i really dont want it to end without sebastian killing him... so i want there to be a second season for Kuroshitsuji otherwise it'll be too rushed... WHO'S WITH ME????
Mar 14, 2009 9:04 AM

Feb 2008
Did anyone else notice Meirin's eye color changed?
Episode 1

Episode 21

(Also, I don't want this show to end in three episodes. I'm hoping for a second season.)
Mar 14, 2009 11:39 AM

Feb 2009
stjimmywriter said:

I was also wondering about that. I don't think she's wearing contacts because that isn't really necessary. Unless her brown eyes are contacts and she has naturally blue eyes? Which would account for why she wears glasses generally and take them off when she's sniping? I'm not sure.
Mar 14, 2009 6:43 PM

Feb 2008
LostArticulation said:
stjimmywriter said:

I was also wondering about that. I don't think she's wearing contacts because that isn't really necessary. Unless her brown eyes are contacts and she has naturally blue eyes? Which would account for why she wears glasses generally and take them off when she's sniping? I'm not sure.

That's a really good explanation, I didn't think of it that way.
It would explain a lot. Maybe the glasses get in the way when she shoots?
Mar 14, 2009 10:54 PM

Dec 2008
I thought the glasses were made to make her vision blurrier? I don't recall why though.

Mar 16, 2009 3:32 PM

Mar 2008
Even though this episode felt a little like a way to fill the gap between the last arc and the next (and possibly final? *_____*) one, I really enjoyed it. Meilin's past was intensly unexpected ^__^;; and Bard's was pretty awesome - I suppose it explains all the dynamite in the kitchen xD Finn's had been hinted at before but was a little disappointed that still no explanation to Tanaka-san's frequent 'deflations' >.<

though I was expecting more from the last arc - started watching this one and was worried that I'd missed an ep. Glad that policeman-san (name escapes me at the moment -- gomen! T^T) hasn't been forgotten by Ciel though and liked the symbolism of the king - especially with the recurrence of that shot from really early on in the series of Ciel sat on the throne on top of the dead bodies of all his 'pawns'
Mar 16, 2009 7:16 PM

Feb 2008
I wasn't expecting the thing with the servants at all! That was great. I love this anime.
Mar 17, 2009 7:00 PM

Feb 2008
That caught me off guard. :3
I liked it. The background information was really surprising. Who would of thought the Meilin was really a sniper and she looks soo cool too. ;D

And about the eye colour - maybe that shot was Meilin's image of herself. I mean, in sniper mode she normally has her hair covering her eyes. Perhaps she has not looked in the mirror whilst her hair is not over her eyes? :3

Oh no.

Mar 17, 2009 7:38 PM

Jul 2008
I enjoyed this episode. I'm glad we finally got to see the servants pasts. I knew there was a reason for such useless servants to be working there when Sebastian has to clean up there messes.
Mar 21, 2009 7:07 PM

Jan 2009
reallys favs this EP 8D
the servants really are cool in they own way, i also predicted that meirin have some shocking past 8D,
btw, past meirin is moar nice but i like when i see merin on maid outfit "without glasses"
Mar 21, 2009 11:44 PM

Jun 2008
Stupid episode. The anime does nothing but annoy me now, which is sad because I adore the manga *wanted Circus Arc*

Even though I didn't like it too much, Bard=Sexy <3

Rule of Anime #18 - Law of Hemoglobin Capacity
The human body contains over 12 gallons of blood, sometimes more, under high pressure.
Mar 22, 2009 9:52 AM
Jul 2018
Oooh... everyone's badass. Didn't see that comin. All in all, I liked this ep. 3/5
Mar 30, 2009 6:41 PM

Aug 2007
I don't agree with the rest of the folks who said this episode is pointless. It's a great episode that lets us know the servants past. I was like OMFG when I realized Maylene was the Sniper. lol.
Apr 2, 2009 3:22 AM

Aug 2008
Nii :D Freaky episode.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Apr 13, 2009 4:45 AM

Apr 2008
This episode makes me wonder about Tanaka-san's background though.
Hmmm.

どんなに小さなつぼみでも、ひとつだけのHappiness. :)
No matter how small the bud may be, it is just one Happiness. :)

Apr 27, 2009 8:02 AM
Aug 2008
I doubt anyone is reading this thread anymore, but I thought I'd throw my vote in with those who liked this episode.

Not much of a fan of the trio, I would have been irritated/bored with this episode had it been used as filler earlier on in the series (read: I could care less about their backgrounds). At this point, however, it was interesting to see the servants' pasts because it showed how much working for Ciel has changed their lives. And with Ciel currently questioning what his future is worth (thanks to Aberlin's speech), it gives viewers some interesting weight to throw on the scale of his life's value. At least, in my case, before this episode I wouldn't have thought the loss of Ciel's life would make such a raw gap in the lives of so many - now I wonder..

Three eps to go, then maybe I'll hit up the manga. ^ ^;

Jun 2, 2009 7:08 PM

Jan 2008
I loved this episode I enjoyed the Servants past finally we get to see them I already knew about Maylene but the others I wondered.

Plus why the youngest was super strong but now I know why.

I give this episode a 9/10 well more like a 9.7/10 but u know what I am going to make it a 10/10 I liked this episode.
Jun 14, 2009 4:25 AM

Apr 2008
Well I was pretty sure that Meilin eyes were blue. But with hazel she looks great too. And her past - that was a nice but surprising one ;)
And, did anyone see that - at the end Ciel smiled (it was a distorted one - more like grimace, but still... a smile :PP)
Jun 25, 2009 10:37 PM

Oct 2008
That episode was kind of depressing..
I like the way the servants' skills were shown in the manga more, it made them more badass.

Jul 10, 2009 5:09 PM

Aug 2008
Good episode, I liked seeing the servants' past.

Jul 23, 2009 5:56 AM

Apr 2009
maykipz said:
ALSO OMG, it was so obvious Elizabeth's voice actor is also Rika Furude's VA from Higurashi. The niii~ and very near hauuu~ totally made me go '...R-Rika?' xD

Same here XD

I liked the Took a Level in Badass aspect of this episode, but otherwise it didn't make much sense xP It was much better executed in the manga.

Uskaro said:
Stupid episode. The anime does nothing but annoy me now, which is sad because I adore the manga *wanted Circus Arc*

Even though I didn't like it too much, Bard=Sexy <3

You said pretty much everything that's on my mind.
Bard's Nii~accompanied by his creepy smiling face was win xD

JOKER NAO PLZ
CenedessJul 23, 2009 6:07 AM
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Aug 12, 2009 10:20 AM

Jan 2009
at least in the end this show is starting to show its potential. the last three-four episodes were pretty good compared to most of the others.

my personal opinion is that if they'd only aired episodes 1-6 and 17-24, this could have turned out to be a masterpiece anime. seriously, i thought Bleach fillers were bad but when i stumbled upon Kuroshitsuji fillers, i realized how low it can get :|.

Aug 27, 2009 12:39 PM

Aug 2007
haha, I'm so glad that I read the manga chapter first before seeing this episode. The exposition was so much better. I wonder if Sebastian approached the three of them in the manga the same way?

Ah, well, this is the anime, so it doesn't matter. Loved that Ciel gave an amused smile at the in the end. :)
Sep 5, 2009 1:35 AM

Jul 2008
Omg. Meilin's.. awesome.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Jan 9, 2009

69 by Apratim »»
Apr 22, 8:56 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SlaughterChichi - Mar 26, 2009

318 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Apr 22, 7:52 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MaxwellLily - Oct 30, 2008

115 by Apratim »»
Apr 21, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Zeino - Mar 12, 2009

110 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Apr 21, 2:21 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

-Chrissi-chan- - Mar 9, 2009

107 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Apr 20, 4:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.