Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 2, 2014 7:48 PM
Mar 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The first episode of the series about the dandiest man in the universe is finally here. Loved the breastaurant, and Honey is looking cute.~ And of course only Dandy would blow up his own ship.

Daily life of the dandiest man in the universe: http://i.imgur.com/KdRZbrp.jpg
Sexy aliens: http://i.imgur.com/nwt1r5V.jpg

Next episode preview also shows one fine lady in a ramen shop: http://i.imgur.com/dzcvZNC.jpg

Jan 2, 2014 7:52 PM

Sep 2011
Was the pre screening in dub or sub?

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 2, 2014 7:56 PM
Mar 2012
NotJizzyHitler said:
Was the pre screening in dub or sub?

It was in Japanese, the only subs were the signs like in the next episode preview
Jan 2, 2014 8:50 PM

Mar 2009
So...the episode was leaked?
Jan 2, 2014 10:21 PM

Apr 2011
I think I'm gonna like this episode.
Jan 2, 2014 10:25 PM
Jul 2012
Can't wait until Saturday for this~
Jan 3, 2014 12:29 AM

Feb 2012
Another leak..this is why we can't have nice things.

Was the first episode over the top crazy or did it do a good job setting up a storyline?
Wind_SrJan 3, 2014 12:50 AM
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski
Jan 3, 2014 1:23 AM

Dec 2011
Wind_Sr said:
Another leak..this is why we can't have nice things.

yeah, Madman Entertainment really needs to beef up their security, as this has happened a couple of times before.
Jan 3, 2014 1:40 AM
Mar 2013
I'm waiting for the episode to be released. My first impression of the anime: Space Dandy has Duke Nukem syndrome? I mean with the chicks,guns,aliens and all? This surely must be inspired by Duke Nukem :) Or maybe I'm wrong. I can't really tell untill I watch it. We will se if my impression was somewhat correct :)
Jan 3, 2014 1:41 AM

Dec 2008
wtb Gilgamesh Tequila

Looking forward to more unless director plans on sticking to being all flashy and no depth. If it's only this ep or now and then, can see it as mockery of mainstream anime, but if it's from start to end it won't work as such.
HakoriaJan 3, 2014 9:04 AM
「Godspeed You! Black Emperor」
Jan 3, 2014 12:39 PM

Nov 2008
It's trying to be funny by being stupid, but unfortunately, it's only being stupid.
Jan 3, 2014 9:39 PM

Apr 2013
6.81? Aren't you guys being too harsh on le ratings?
Jan 3, 2014 10:32 PM

Nov 2010
LeosApathy said:

I guess expectation are really high.
i have seen just that half of episode which was really funny imo and i would give it a 8.
maybe second half of the episode isn't that good.
Jan 3, 2014 10:46 PM

Apr 2013
Etsuko Yakushimaru<3 That ending is amazing.

Pretty good first episode. They did a good job showing how frivolous the characters are, and introducing all the 'space' we'll be getting from Space Dandy. Bakayaro!: http://i.imgur.com/stK9Sss.png
I thought the episode was pretty funny. There were some parts that just fell flat, but most of it was amusing imo. Especially the scene where they were trying to get away from those giant aliens. Scene was crazy. Lol at Dandy's ship exploding at the end: http://i.imgur.com/chjBFz8.png

As expected, the animation was great. The action scenes were smooth but still very flashy, and the space environment was eye-popping. Some of the scenes were pretty trippy though. Like the hyperspace(or whatever)
http://i.imgur.com/RDy1ULZ.png --- http://i.imgur.com/dpWNNfG.png

Not too much of a story yet. I just know that Dr.Gel(fancy gorilla dude) and the skull face guy that he's talking to are after Dandy.
Overall, loved it. Definitely watching it again on Toonami tonight.
Jan 4, 2014 10:19 AM

Sep 2011
LeosApathy said:
scores this early dont matter and never match the actual score unless its simply a coincidence, i guarentee you almost all those votes are from people who haven't watched it, the score will likley average out in the 7.00's by shows end as i can see reception ranging from "THIS IS AWESOME" to "this is stupid"

case and point pupa is at a 8.77 right now prior to its broadcast, watch how much the score will plummet within days of its first episode actually airing
JizzyHitlerJan 4, 2014 12:08 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 4, 2014 3:55 PM

May 2009
LeosApathy said:

The fuck are you doing?

NotJizzyHitler said:
case and point pupa is at a 8.77 right now prior to its broadcast, watch how much the score will plummet within days of its first episode actually airing

This will plummet hard due to being 5 minutes anime.
Jan 4, 2014 8:33 PM

Apr 2013
so excited!
Jan 4, 2014 8:36 PM

Jul 2012
The dub is amazing. And the artwork....My eyes a seeing beauty.
Jan 4, 2014 8:44 PM

Apr 2013
really great dub. I'll watch this one dubbed.
Jan 4, 2014 8:52 PM

Jul 2012
Jan 4, 2014 8:52 PM

Jul 2013
Solid great dub, I'll watch it on dub. They make a great job voicing the characters, though pretty funny the way they say it. Well that ending though, he haven't plan it out yet XD, wonder what happens next episode.

I'll see what the sub will look like.
omega_d94Jan 4, 2014 8:58 PM

Jan 4, 2014 8:57 PM

May 2013
OMFG LOL DAT ENDING.

I enjoyed this episode, i'll watch some more.
Jan 4, 2014 8:58 PM

Feb 2012
Anime is saved.
Jan 4, 2014 8:59 PM

Aug 2013
I loved it, especially the animation.
Good episode one.
Jan 4, 2014 8:59 PM

Dec 2012
Just watched the dub on Toonami. Impressive! Seems more comedy based; was laughing quite a bit.
Jan 4, 2014 9:00 PM

Oct 2013
I'm interested In seeing how they survived that explosion.

May 2012
Respect the ass! Finally an anime that gives love to the booty.
The dub is great, but that's expected of Funimation. This had some real trippy art. It looked great and then it looked like something you see if you were high. Not to much of a story but it's funny. Can't wait to see more.

Mar 2012
Dandy is an ass man. He's someone I can get behind.

My favorite so far is definitely Autotune-bot.
Jan 4, 2014 9:01 PM

Jul 2013
I'm watching this dub from now on, that was an impressive dub, Ian Sinclair really fits the role of Dandy. And that was a fun episode, although Dandy is a bit obsessed with boobs, he's a pretty awesome dude, and I'm curious on how they survived that explosion at the end. Anyway, this was a pretty solid first episode, it was funny, the animation was superb, soundtrack was awesome, and Dandy was Dandy! 5/5, I will continue with this show.
Jan 4, 2014 9:02 PM

Jun 2012
TravSavage said:
Dandy is an ass man. He's someone I can get behind.

An ass man can always be trusted
Series is over with a dead MC in one episode? Was fun guys : P
Aug 2013
Just watched the the first episode on Toonami. I think I'm gonna like this series. Dubbing and animation are also a plus.
Jul 2012
Meh, it's alright. The first half wasn't that funny except that lima animal sorta where he got trapped, and the beginning part where JP(forget get it I call him dat) says that asses are better than boobies and I used to agreed when I loved woman's asses lol. Was decent until that girl who voiced the robot. My god, that voice was so awful that she sounds like a female version of T-pain, and SR3 autotune. >_> Gets my nerves every time ugh. Second half meh. Also, the ending is unmemorable. /:

Idk about this show, but I may as well keep watching it because this has sum great art and dat good quote of JP above lol.

3.5/5
Jan 4, 2014 9:03 PM

Jul 2012
Vulpixel said:
I'm interested In seeing how they survived that explosion.

I know right, what the hell was that xD?
Jan 4, 2014 9:04 PM

May 2013
DarknessOfEmo said:
Meh, it's alright. The first half wasn't that funny except that lima animal sorta where he got trapped, and the beginning part where JP(forget get it I call him dat) says that asses are better than boobies and I used to agreed when I loved woman's asses lol. Was decent until that girl who voiced the robot. My god, that voice was so awful that she sounds like a female version of T-pain, and SR3 autotune. >_> Gets my nerves every time ugh. Second half meh.

Idk about this show, but I may as well keep watching it because this has sum great art and dat good quote of JP above lol.

3.5/5

Our first meh

Feb 2011
" At least I will die with a full head of hair" I might actually watch this dub.

Jun 2010
Definetly on the train for this anime, it didn't disappoint. The animation was gorgeous all around, as was the sound. The characters I can definetly see getting attached to, the dub is voiced phenomenally, perfect voice for dandy. Some hints of a deeper story beneath all the crazy fun.

Feb 2012
I think I hyped up this series way too much. I knew it was going to be on the funnier side, but I didn't think that was going to be it's main selling point. Was pretty disappointed by this episode, but that's because I had such high hopes. I'll probably like the 2nd episode more since I won't take it so seriously.
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski

Jul 2013
The animation and music were briIliant, I really couldn't look away from the screen.... solid and hilarious dub, definitely gonna watch until the end. Also QT is soo adorable!!!
Jan 4, 2014 9:05 PM

Sep 2013
The dub pretty good in my opinion, but I didn't like how they changed Honey's guess from "an ass" to "an asteroid belt", it turned something really funny to not so much >.>

The 2nd half was strange and all the crazyness felt kind of pushed :/ Also why the heck is the guy chasing Dandy have a space ship that looks like Lady Liberty...

A meh start, I'll definitely watched it subbed once the full version is released though.

May 2013
LuciferIAm said:
Definetly on the train for this anime, it didn't disappoint. The animation was gorgeous all around, as was the sound. The characters I can definetly see getting attached to, the dub is voiced phenomenally, perfect voice for dandy. Some hints of a deeper story beneath all the crazy fun.

lol, yeah, you know, there's a whole galactic war going on but screw that for now.

Jul 2013
Aside from the dumb fanservice and that rather cringe-worthy speech at the beginning about women, that wasn't too bad a start. Will be interesting to see how this goes.

Dec 2012
DarknessOfEmo said:
Was decent until that girl who voiced the robot. My god, that voice was so awful that she sounds like a female version of T-pain, and SR3 autotune. >_> Gets my nerves every time ugh.
Funny, I actually liked it.

Jun 2010
DarknessOfEmo said:
Meh, it's alright. The first half wasn't that funny except that lima animal sorta where he got trapped, and the beginning part where JP(forget get it I call him dat) says that asses are better than boobies and I used to agreed when I loved woman's asses lol. Was decent until that girl who voiced the robot. My god, that voice was so awful that she sounds like a female version of T-pain, and SR3 autotune. >_> Gets my nerves every time ugh. Second half meh. Also, the ending is unmemorable. /:

3.5/5

I don't mean to jump on your case right off the bat but... ending unmemorable? Lol what? "Least I'll die with a full head of hair" on the very first episode of a series and you call that unmemorable.
Jan 4, 2014 9:06 PM

Mar 2012
QT is such a cutie.
seriously though, wasn't a bad dub and the visuals were nice
looking forward to next ep.
Jan 4, 2014 9:07 PM

Dec 2012
Octochan said:
Aside from the dumb fanservice and that rather cringe-worthy speech at the beginning about women, that wasn't too bad a start. Will be interesting to see how this goes.
Dumb fanservice? Maybe this show isn't for you.
Jan 4, 2014 9:07 PM

Jul 2012
IT WAS AWESOME

Seriously though, I loved it.
The artwork and music are just so pleasing to look at and listen to. The animation is superb and stuff is constantly happening. This show is FAR from boring.

As for the comedy, not the best. Didn't laugh but it still wasn't bad and I thought it was a humorous show. The action is fun to watch. As for the story, I dunno yet. Not much there but it seems interesting enough. Show is entertaining at least.
Jan 4, 2014 9:08 PM
Jul 2012
LuciferIAm said:
DarknessOfEmo said:

3.5/5

I don't mean to jump on your case right off the bat but... ending unmemorable? Lol what? "Least I'll die with a full head of hair" on the very first episode of a series and you call that unmemorable.

Well, Idk. To me, I think the ending just falls flat that I don't really see anything noticeable about it.

But, really the show is still good. Hope it still pulls me through despite it's first impressions annoyance.

7/10

Jan 2013
Dat fourth wall tho.

Anyway, great art and really enjoyed the bgm.

#Booty
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Feb 2011
Wind_Sr said:
I think I hyped up this series way too much. I knew it was going to be on the funnier side, but I didn't think that was going to be it's main selling point. Was pretty disappointed by this episode, but that's because I had such high hopes. I'll probably like the 2nd episode more since I won't take it so seriously.

You took this seriously? The guy is space Johnny Bravo, I was expecting it to get zany.
Jan 4, 2014 9:10 PM

May 2013
greywinged said:
Read elsewhere that they cut the OP and removed the ED entirely. The latter is especially unforgivable considering the musicians involved.

All the more reason to watch a proper subbed release. Not going to bother with watching the dubbed version on television.

SUPPORT
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2014

189 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 27, 12:31 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2014

95 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 26, 11:10 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2014

94 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 26, 10:39 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

omega_d94 - Mar 8, 2014

138 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 26, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2014

161 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 26, 9:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.