Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 3, 2014 7:37 PM

Nov 2013
Big_Worm said:
NoSurrender1690 said:
Big_Worm said:
Nope PC Master Race. All that the consoles have going for them is that...well nothing really beyond a few exclusive games which if we really wanted, we could install an emulator and port the game to PC.

play it lagally or odse that Idea not matter to you if it does not your not a real gamer

I myself have bought 90% of the games I've played, I always try to support the developers. The only games I haven't bought were ones that I tested out and didn't like or games that are for emulators on my computer.

snaphat said:
elemein said:
Mogu-sama said:
I don't know from what planet you come from.

What're you talking about? A FX-6300 + GTX 760 or HD 270X can max most games or atleast play high on most games. Don't be silly. Do you want a build priced out or something?

EDIT: Because I'm bored and you'll likely say "No you're still wrong":

I approve of the blatant proving others wrong thing. Love it. Not enough people on this forum back anything they say up with facts.

That's also something I've noticed and am occasionally guilty of

To be perfectly fair, it's common to most forums. I also buy anything I play on PCs these days. Consoles... eh... my consoles are all hacked since there are never good deals on games. Not that I ever play console games really though.
Need technical discussion? I can help! How i sell my method:
Very well.
Jan 3, 2014 7:40 PM

Jun 2013
snaphat said:
Big_Worm said:
NoSurrender1690 said:
Big_Worm said:
Nope PC Master Race. All that the consoles have going for them is that...well nothing really beyond a few exclusive games which if we really wanted, we could install an emulator and port the game to PC.

play it lagally or odse that Idea not matter to you if it does not your not a real gamer

I myself have bought 90% of the games I've played, I always try to support the developers. The only games I haven't bought were ones that I tested out and didn't like or games that are for emulators on my computer.

snaphat said:
elemein said:
Mogu-sama said:

What're you talking about? A FX-6300 + GTX 760 or HD 270X can max most games or atleast play high on most games. Don't be silly. Do you want a build priced out or something?

I approve of the blatant proving others wrong thing. Love it. Not enough people on this forum back anything they say up with facts.

To be perfectly fair, it's common to most forums. I also buy anything I play on PCs these days. Consoles... eh... my consoles are all hacked since there are never good deals on games. Not that I ever play console games really though.

My steam library is about to catch up to my console library granted I have 4 consoles and have only been seriously PC gaming for like 2 years
Jan 3, 2014 7:48 PM
Mar 2011
Big_Worm said:
snaphat said:
Big_Worm said:
NoSurrender1690 said:
Big_Worm said:

snaphat said:
elemein said:
Mogu-sama said:

My steam library is about to catch up to my console library granted I have 4 consoles and have only been seriously PC gaming for like 2 years

so your reental libery is beigger than the ones oyu own porr you
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 3, 2014 8:20 PM

Nov 2013
NoSurrender1690 said:
Big_Worm said:
snaphat said:
Big_Worm said:
NoSurrender1690 said:
Big_Worm said:

snaphat said:
elemein said:
Mogu-sama said:

You don't actually own any game or software you purchase. All of it has EULAs. You are simply licensed the right to use the software. The only thing you actually own is the media upon which the software resides. The effective difference between steam and physical media is that no-one has the right to take the physical media away from you; however, they do have the right to tell you to cease playing the game or disabling any portion of the game they want, etc. Digital media simply makes it easier for games to be taken away than physical media.

Physical media is analogous to if you copied all of the installers for digitally distributed games and put them on an external drive. You can be told legally to not to play the games, but no-one can take the installer away from you. Of course, no-one is going to tell you to not play the game because it generally serves no purpose.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/09/first-sale-doctrine/
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2010/09/the-end-of-used-major-ruling-upholds-tough-software-licenses/
snaphatJan 3, 2014 8:25 PM
Very well.
Jan 3, 2014 10:43 PM
Mar 2011
snaphat said:
NoSurrender1690 said:
Big_Worm said:
snaphat said:
Big_Worm said:
NoSurrender1690 said:
Big_Worm said:

snaphat said:
elemein said:
Mogu-sama said:

You don't actually own any game or software you purchase. All of it has EULAs. You are simply licensed the right to use the software. The only thing you actually own is the media upon which the software resides. The effective difference between steam and physical media is that no-one has the right to take the physical media away from you; however, they do have the right to tell you to cease playing the game or disabling any portion of the game they want, etc. Digital media simply makes it easier for games to be taken away than physical media.

Physical media is analogous to if you copied all of the installers for digitally distributed games and put them on an external drive. You can be told legally to not to play the games, but no-one can take the installer away from you. Of course, no-one is going to tell you to not play the game because it generally serves no purpose.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/09/first-sale-doctrine/
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2010/09/the-end-of-used-major-ruling-upholds-tough-software-licenses/

lack of right of resale is a right of the owner of any product somthing Steam prevents this thus this shows lack of respect for onwers rights [ hence why i hoped the germans beat Valve on the courts ]

cause if a g8 nation such as germany can make that court case stick myabe vavle will change its ideals and become a real store

also big issue number 2 i have with steam is thay allow devs to sell beta games im sorry but that wrong oyu should be invited to a beta test not buy a beta of a game [ Eralt access rant]

and also allowinf False advertised game ot me sold [ ie alowing devs to lie that there game is full and not a 1 chapter
----

the biggest cancer of the games industry also began on PC that would be PTW games and micro trasactions [ both of witch are anti gamer ] people called the wii casual but i call games witch allow you the buy victory as even more casual
cause Video games use to be feats of skill based not based on your bank ballance [ big reason that video games should never be called a sport] cause games like that exsist at all ]

people who use microtasactions should never be called gamers cause they allow the most anit gamer pratice to go on cause they support it na dits wrong for them to do so and in the same sentance be called gamers

thats like anti gun lobbiest suddeny giving money to the NRA [ yes i know that Huge Hyperbole but if the cap fit you were it]
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jan 3, 2014 11:00 PM
Jan 2014
NoSurrender1690 said:

people who use microtasactions should never be called gamers

What if the game is FTP but has a cash shop as a way to support the devs? So if I want to support the devs by purchasing items, I'm not a real gamer?

You make a few valid points but you cannot, under any circumstances, say "Everyone who does x MUST have the intention of doing y, and therefore isnt a real gamer. No exceptions, period."

That's just incredibly short-sighted.
Jan 3, 2014 11:03 PM
Jan 2014
Nyarlatophis said:
While this isn't exactly related to the games themselves, I think the biggest issue with emulators (at least arcade ones) is that they lack the culture that surrounds them and gave them the flavor that made them fun. Going to the arcade with your bros and 1ccing shit is leagues funner than playing in some dank basement with fudged up framerates or other obnoxious errors.

I strongly disagree. With an emulator by the name of VBALink, I can use Hamachi to play The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords for the GBA in multiplayer mode while he's on the other side of the city (we used to do this stuff in the school yard in elementary school, so the nostalgia is epic... Though of course with school and jobs and etc. we don't always have the time to meet up, so VBALink has given us the opportunity to engage in a social activity we otherwise would've never had the option of.)

I really think emulation shouldn't be given the "It's not great and it's only for basement dwellers" name that a lot of people think of it. There's a LOT of good that comes out of it.
Jan 4, 2014 12:27 AM

Jun 2013
LOL this is always so stupid both are good for different reasons and people who go around saying P.C is the master race with a serious face are the most smug arrogant pricks i have met.
Jan 4, 2014 12:59 AM

Mar 2013
They way I see it, is since you're asking this on the Internet, you're most likely going to get PC gamers (mostly) answering this question. So of course they'll state PC Master Race and such. Not saying a bunch of Console gamers won't post or anything, but still. I have several friends that are mainly console gamers. And guess what? They hardly even touch a computer at all (some people don't even own one, or it's complete shit regardless), they just do their tablet and/or phone and that's it. Of course I have friends that are both ways and are console gamers and PC gamers. But oddly enough, almost all my friends are console gamers. And plus, a lot of hardcore console gamers, don't really get into PC gaming all that much (not all, but quite a bit of them).

I'm both, but if I were to pick one over the other? I'd prefer consoles. Sure you can get all the awesome graphics, etc., on a PC, but with a console, I don't need to upgrade or anything (only when a new console comes out, like recently). Sure the consoles are inferior to computers, and personally I could care less. Because for me, it's about the storyline and gameplay, not the visuals. And from that, that's why I still play 10 year old PC games on today's computers. A lot of hardcore PC elitists just want the beauty and pretty graphics, and just play current games. Then when the game(s) get three years old, they'll never touch it again. Of course not all people do this, but I know personally a few that do, and people I know online.

Sure you can do the emulators and such, but SO what. Why I play console games, is because of the Xbox: Gamerscore. That is why I still play the console today. The PlayStation has its similar thing, but I don't like it. Microsoft did do PC games with the Gamerscore, but apparently Microsoft themselves don't really fancy PC gaming (that's why Games for Windows is going out). Of course PC people like Steam and such, have somewhat of a achievement thing, but it doesn't really have the feel of "competition" like Xbox or even PlayStation has. You can't really compare peoples scores, you can only see what level they are or whatever. Which those levels don't even tie into the achievements with their games at all. It's a whole separate thing. Origin has an achievement system now, but I'm not sure if you can compare with people, plus it's SO new that it doesn't have an affect on me at all.

Anyway, that's why I play consoles, like the Xbox, I have achievements and its score with it, so it gives me things to do while gaming... I play PC games all the time, but mainly MMOs really, like WoW, or Rift, or even SWTOR.

Unless Microsoft really locks down and tries again with their achievement system and score on PC gaming, then I would reconsider. But even then, I'll probably still play console games. Idk, why I like consoles, is they have one thing on their OS and such, which you can't alter, etc., whereas the PC has a million things, all sorts of clients for games, etc. So from that, that's why I like consoles.

But in the end, who cares? We're all gamers here, respect people's decisions on what they play, and play the game. And. Just. Have. Fun.

No need for all this controversial crap.
Escape to the World of Anime is a great Facebook page. Different than the mainstream ones. Plus we are more of a community instead of a page that ignores its fans. Go check us out!
Jan 4, 2014 1:30 AM
Mar 2011
elemein said:
NoSurrender1690 said:

people who use microtasactions should never be called gamers

What if the game is FTP but has a cash shop as a way to support the devs? So if I want to support the devs by purchasing items, I'm not a real gamer?

You make a few valid points but you cannot, under any circumstances, say "Everyone who does x MUST have the intention of doing y, and therefore isnt a real gamer. No exceptions, period."

That's just incredibly short-sighted.

valid counter point but there are these microtrasactions in non FTP games such Dibalo III [ aT least in the PC version ] or say in The new Forza or GT 6 will both have them this Idea was taken from PC games [ correct me if i am miss informed upon this ]

so are gone the days of gamer skill being most the fore but its replaceed by the day of he who has the bigger Cash gets atvantaged this is wrong and take the compdeptive spirt from gaming thus killing the point of compadtive Video games

i use Hyperbole again Ben Johnson or Carl Lewis who was the better ]

you get why i make that compre in this context cause its fits the above paragraph

or even worse allwoing oyu to Buy using real money Levels in RPGs

and what abput the cash shops in WoW hmm

Pcs help berth alot of good ideals and Franchses in gaming and i began gaming on them but there The latese things The PC has Berthed upon gaming is carcerous to its core and need to me exsorsized for the good of Gaming thar was my over all point and the point the ubermench refuse to admit is wrong thus a detrement to the PC and the best and fariest way to play games

and i have very coreveral and some would say eletist purist views on alot of things
-----------------------------------

and encloling resultion wars time 4k has along way to to ever be consider the Staneted that is a fact its 10 years since full hd becamea thing and for TVs thus things attaced to them 1080 P only became the Standed for all New tv to come in around 3 years ago 4k has alaong wait before becoming the standed most likely when the next Home Media format comes out what ever that maybe
DateYutakaJan 4, 2014 1:42 AM

Jan 4, 2014 3:21 AM
Jan 5, 2014 2:50 AM

Dec 2010
NZAnimeOtaku said:
LOL this is always so stupid both are good for different reasons and people who go around saying P.C is the master race with a serious face are the most smug arrogant pricks i have met.

I live to be a smug, arrogant prick. Sorry to you all that think consoles are good, but what is consoles doing besides trying to butt into PCs ability to spread, watch and listen to various media outlets? Thought so.

PC is becoming more and more successful, and even the rampantly moronic CODy fanboys hopping onto PC are positively impacting our numbers. We got it all. At best, we can run 90FPS, we've got torrents, and we get games either completely free or discounted at places like Steam, or nice little places like GOG.

"We can let you watch TV!" ... Yeah? Thanks for being informative Xboner, PS3.5. PC has been able to do that since... forever-ish.

And oh YES. Soon, we're getting Revengeance on Steam. Yippee.
Jan 5, 2014 3:19 AM

Apr 2011
Funny you should mention free games, you do realise that PS+ (and from what I know, XBoxLive as well) does the exact same thing (multiple games each month, from what I know)? So no, that is not exactly a pro for PC over Console. That being said, those types of comments are exactly why some PC users are seen as pricks, which you so kindly agreed to be.
Jan 5, 2014 3:25 AM

Nov 2008
yhunata said:
Funny you should mention free games, you do realise that PS+ (and from what I know, XBoxLive as well) does the exact same thing (multiple games each month, from what I know)? So no, that is not exactly a pro for PC over Console. That being said, those types of comments are exactly why some PC users are seen as pricks, which you so kindly agreed to be.
Those games aren't free. You have to pay the subscription or they're locked.

Jan 5, 2014 3:26 AM

Apr 2011
Ezekiel said:
yhunata said:

While that is certainly true, you do not pay for the games, but rather the subscription. Meaning, free games are not a valid pro point for PC ahead of consoles. If he had said free services, I'd have said nothing.
Jan 5, 2014 3:28 AM
Mar 2011
iv made my view on Steam clear and the reason why i think its not fully above bored

Jan 5, 2014 3:35 AM

Nov 2008
yhunata said:
Ezekiel said:
yhunata said:

While that is certainly true, you do not pay for the games, but rather the subscription. Meaning, free games are not a valid pro point for PC ahead of consoles. If he had said free services, I'd have said nothing.
What is the subscription without the "free" games and lifting of the multiplayer paywall? The price of the "free" games is the subscription. They're not free.

Jan 5, 2014 3:41 AM
Mar 2011
Ezekiel said:
yhunata said:
Ezekiel said:
yhunata said:

What is the subscription without the "free" games and lifting of the multiplayer paywall? The price of the "free" games is the subscription. They're not free.

20 games for the prince of 500 yen [ thats the price of t hee when the ps4 comes out] even n the most wild steam sales woould you get a bundel g games that size for that price

Jan 5, 2014 3:46 AM

Aug 2012
NoSurrender1690 said:
Ezekiel said:
yhunata said:
Ezekiel said:
yhunata said:

20 games for the prince of 500 yen [ thats the price of t hee when the ps4 comes out] even n the most wild steam sales woould you get a bundel g games that size for that price
But theres a difference.

Steam offers very good and famous games like Torchlight 2, Payday 2, Garrys Mod, Castle Crashers, GTA IV, COD:BO 2 and others, with huge discounts like 70% and even 90% of discount.

While steam is doing that, PS4 is selling shitty tetris for the price of a subscription. Yeah, you are proving my point. PC gaming is expensive at the beginning, when you have to buy a good PC. After that, it is extremely cheap if you are patient and know when to buy the games.
Jan 5, 2014 6:57 AM
Jan 2014
Console myths:

"Consoles are cheaper then gaming PCs!"

Only in initial investment PCs are far cheaper in the long run.

PS4 is 400$ if you buy 5 games a year at 60 dollars for the next 3 years that's another 900 dollars, if you also have a PlayStation plus account which is 50 dollars a year that another 150 dollars so in 3 years of owning a PS4 you will spend 1450 dollars. This doesn't include extra hardware like a second controller or a camera for PlayStation Move.

You can get a gaming rig that can out preform a PS4 and play just about any game on highest settings for 700 dollars, if you buy 5 games a year at the average price of PC game which is 50 dollars for 3 years that's 750 all together in 3 years of owning a gaming PC that's also 1450 dollars.

and no you don't need to buy a new graphics card every year, Video Game graphics have basically plateaued and disparity between console and PC graphics has become enormous. This current gen of consoles is more then a decade behind current PC capabilities. The XboxOne can't even do go above 720p, PCs have been able to go larger then 1080p for about 5 years now.

also considering the PC has better sales and on games the money you will save on games will be more then enough to cover a new graphics card.

"Consoles are more convenient and easier to use!"

Not really consoles require game updates, game installs and not to mention OS updates all of which are forced on you and take ridiculously long to do on a console, and they still have compatibility issues. Not to mention you are unable to to fix said problems your self when they happen and since Sony and Microsoft charges developers every time they wanna update their game you have to wait for the devs to fix it and they might not even bother if they think it's not worth it and if you wanna lets say roll back your your updates because they break some thing, it's a royal pain in the ass and some times impossible.

PC has these problems too but installs, downloads and updates are all lighting fast, you can run them in the background with out have to pay for it, and will probably happen when your not even playing the game, so your game is ready to play when you get to your PC. Sure their are more compatibility issues with the PC but they are minor and easily fixable if you know how to do a simple Google search because some one has probably fixed it or has a work around.

But giving up better frame rates, higher resolutions, faster load times, better graphics, better community support, free online play, mods, and longer life span on multiplayer communities. For theoretical convenience is pretty silly.

"But PC has tons of piracy consoles are safer!"

Piracy on PC's is decreasing, and piracy on consoles have risen significantly since last gen and it's only gonna get worse.
http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2012/09/22/gaming-piracy-separating-fact-from-fiction

heck your not even really safe from hacking on console either.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/huge-spike-in-hacking-attempts-following-xbox-one-ps4-launch/1100-6416751/

Consoles really have no benefit over PCs but have plenty of draw backs. They barely even have exclusives anymore, consoles will probably have even less exclusives this gen due to the rising production costs and now that the XboxOne and PS4 are using a PC architecture your probably gonna seem more and more multiple plats then ever because it will be easier to port the PC

Consoles are quickly becoming just shitty expensive PCs
JaleinJan 5, 2014 7:04 AM
Jan 5, 2014 10:58 AM
Jan 2014
Jalein said:
Console myths:

and no you don't need to buy a new graphics card every year, Video Game graphics have basically plateaued

(No, no they haven't if you mean "plateau" as in "continuously getting higher", then yes, you're right.)

and disparity between console and PC graphics has become enormous. This current gen of consoles is more then a decade behind current PC capabilities

(They aren't that behind. You're acting as if they use a CPU equivalent of a Pentium D and a GPU equivalent of a 8800GT. Let's be real here. They're not THAT weak. )

. The XboxOne can't even do go above 720p, PCs have been able to go larger then 1080p for about 5 years now.

5 years? Try almost 12.

Consoles really have no benefit over PCs but have plenty of draw backs. They barely even have exclusives anymore, consoles will probably have even less exclusives this gen due to the rising production costs and now that the XboxOne and PS4 are using a PC architecture

You mean x86-64, right?

your probably gonna seem more and more multiple plats then ever because it will be easier to port the PC

Consoles are quickly becoming just shitty expensive PCs

Mostly right, just fixing up some information as I see it.
Jan 8, 2014 1:03 PM

Jun 2013
Lauriet said:
NZAnimeOtaku said:

I live to be a smug, arrogant prick. Sorry to you all that think consoles are good, but what is consoles doing besides trying to butt into PCs ability to spread, watch and listen to various media outlets? Thought so.

PC is becoming more and more successful, and even the rampantly moronic CODy fanboys hopping onto PC are positively impacting our numbers. We got it all. At best, we can run 90FPS, we've got torrents, and we get games either completely free or discounted at places like Steam, or nice little places like GOG.

"We can let you watch TV!" ... Yeah? Thanks for being informative Xboner, PS3.5. PC has been able to do that since... forever-ish.

And oh YES. Soon, we're getting Revengeance on Steam. Yippee.

Ya that sort of thing don't get me wrong i have a PC and fully enjoy playing games on steam but it annoys me when people think they are better because they use PC ok yes PC can do a lot of stuff console can't but at the end of the day gaming is about enjoyment, fun not how many frames my PC can run Battlefield 4 yes it can be fun to compare but at times it gets stupidly out of hand and if people prefer console well that's their opinion and we can disagree with that opinion but not tell them they are in superior to you and so on.
Just my opinion on the matter.
Jan 8, 2014 5:42 PM

Mar 2013
pc gaming has always been better than console gaming in every way except 1 and that one thing that is better on a console is that pc gaming is complicated and expensive. i understand why people play consoles because they just dont have time to learn how pc gaming works. they just want to pop a game in and be done with it which was fine up until xbox tried to change that with the xbox one. i mean xbox tried to get rid of the 1 reason to be a console gamer the simplicity of being able to just pop a disc in and play or lend it to your friend. those are the reasons people are console gamers and once you take that away consoles become absolutely pointless and pc just dominates everything.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jan 8, 2014 6:31 PM

Nov 2013
mattbenz99 said:
pc gaming has always been better than console gaming in every way except 1 and that one thing that is better on a console is that pc gaming is complicated and expensive. i understand why people play consoles because they just dont have time to learn how pc gaming works. they just want to pop a game in and be done with it which was fine up until xbox tried to change that with the xbox one. i mean xbox tried to get rid of the 1 reason to be a console gamer the simplicity of being able to just pop a disc in and play or lend it to your friend. those are the reasons people are console gamers and once you take that away consoles become absolutely pointless and pc just dominates everything.

You could distill "complicated" into multiple things. It's certainly not a proper evaluation if you just generalize away all of the differences as if the whole is worth less than the parts.
Very well.
Jan 9, 2014 7:58 AM
Mar 2011
lupadim said:
NoSurrender1690 said:
Ezekiel said:
yhunata said:
Ezekiel said:
yhunata said:

But theres a difference.

Steam offers very good and famous games like Torchlight 2, Payday 2, Garrys Mod, Castle Crashers, GTA IV, COD:BO 2 and others, with huge discounts like 70% and even 90% of discount.

While steam is doing that, PS4 is selling shitty tetris for the price of a subscription. Yeah, you are proving my point. PC gaming is expensive at the beginning, when you have to buy a good PC. After that, it is extremely cheap if you are patient and know when to buy the games.

lot people dont like brown and gray FPS and steam offers nothing id like im or from many compnies i like d draw back of OF STEAM lack of Tohou of games by big japanese Pc game makers like System soft or for the large part Falcom or Chunsoft [ unlike console hell the wii VC had YS IV the older version pre calceta]

and the lack of Doujin games is irksome as well

Steam is quite anti Japanese oim sorry buti know why its the us pc gamers fault thay dont like game that look colourfull 99.99999999%
of us made game are Brown and Gray have no vibrnce

Jan 9, 2014 10:01 AM

Nov 2008
Do you always do this? Start with an argument that is meant to be objective ("20 games for the price of 500 yen...") and then fall back on personal preferences? The discussion wasn't about you.

What's wrong with brown and grey? You keep saying that you've already explained, but I didn't see. Not that I know what you're talking about when you say that's what 99 percent of games made in the US (As if Steam only had American games...) are.

I blame the Japanese more for the lack of Japanese games on Steam and for Windows in general. There is a lot of interest in those games, but the Japanese are shortsighted. Dark Souls did very well, even as a shitty port. Metal Gear Rising is getting healthy attention right now too.
EzekielJan 9, 2014 11:02 AM

Jan 9, 2014 11:21 AM

Sep 2007
NoSurrender1690 said:

lot people dont like brown and gray FPS and steam offers nothing id like im or from many compnies i like d draw back of OF STEAM lack of Tohou of games by big japanese Pc game makers like System soft or for the large part Falcom or Chunsoft [ unlike console hell the wii VC had YS IV the older version pre calceta]

Steam is quite anti Japanese oim sorry buti know why its the us pc gamers fault thay dont like game that look colourfull 99.99999999%

Lol blaming Steam for not having games for a niche market. Maybe Japanese game makers should reach out to Steam to host their games instead of blaming Steam for not catering to a niche market. Oh wait, games like Ys is on Steam. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!?

And really, always harping about this brown and grey. Minecraft? Terraria? Starbound? Bastion? Those are only a few titles that features all the purty colors of the rainbow. Oh, and colors don't always = aesthetics. Some games do absolutely fine with brown and grey. How else do you think they end up being a AAA title?

But it's okay, DateYukata just so very angry that the Japanese market is slowly becoming a more niche market and its glory days being left behind ever so far away.
WasabiJan 9, 2014 11:35 AM
Jan 9, 2014 12:04 PM

Jun 2011
NoSurrender1690 said:

Steam has doujin games and Falcom games...

They're just limited to the games that have been published in English. Blame that on the Japanese companies for being so xenophobic, or the US market as a whole for not caring much about niche Japanese games.
Jan 9, 2014 12:06 PM

Mar 2013
snaphat said:
mattbenz99 said:

You could distill "complicated" into multiple things. It's certainly not a proper evaluation if you just generalize away all of the differences as if the whole is worth less than the parts.

i could of but that would have taken away from the point i was trying to make. my point is that console gaming is simple and rarely do you run into problems that you find in pc gaming (for example no system requirements so the ps4 you buy today will still be able to play brand new games 6 years from now). that is a consoles strength and has always been its strength.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jan 9, 2014 12:12 PM
Jul 2018
*cough*

FUCK PC GAMING.

That is all.

After the 3rd thing I read from PC master race bs fanboys spouting off wrong facts about console gaming I stopped reading and decided to give my 2 cents.
Jan 9, 2014 12:18 PM

Oct 2009
Ouya master race

Jan 9, 2014 2:11 PM
Mar 2011
Narmy said:
NoSurrender1690 said:

Steam has doujin games and Falcom games...

They're just limited to the games that have been published in English. Blame that on the Japanese companies for being so xenophobic, or the US market as a whole for not caring much about niche Japanese games.

the us market hands down most japanese devs dont llike drm so they wont relse on steam cause of drm do not say steam is drm free why is this cause the fact that they know there pubic dont like drm

unlike us pubs and devs who push drm not matter how little there public wants it ea for example see sim city

if you limit in any way language locking is reagion locking all if steam is like a legit store like any stort of Phyical midia store online all games should be avavaible like play asia or neo wing for exmaple not language locked

this is a isuues with all digital Midia stores mind you reagion locking even when people [ out side of x reaigon could just import the Physical Media from any store ad it be fine ]

example say if live in France for exmaple and oyu want and ost from an anime that was only relse on I Tunes us or japan [ but you also have a us itunes account your money will not be accpted ie form of reigion locking ]
you can go to neo wing[ cd japan ] and import it and will aeccpt your euro

all digital media needs to stop that sort of locking apple will stop it quicker im sure [ i hate apple but most of Japan love them] while Valve is to us centric in there ideals. i undersand home market and all but that the double standred of it when nintendo do somthing like that pokemon thing for the home market first there is upraor there is even a topic on mal with someone pissing and moaning about it but when Valve Language lock[ ie region lock] there store Steam fanboys defend them

all PC game should be on Steam if it going replace phyical Media like people are saying it will [ i mean totally]

Jan 9, 2014 2:18 PM
Mar 2011
Wasabi said:
NoSurrender1690 said:

Lol blaming Steam for not having games for a niche market. Maybe Japanese game makers should reach out to Steam to host their games instead of blaming Steam for not catering to a niche market. Oh wait, games like Ys is on Steam. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!?

And really, always harping about this brown and grey. Minecraft? Terraria? Starbound? Bastion? Those are only a few titles that features all the purty colors of the rainbow. Oh, and colors don't always = aesthetics. Some games do absolutely fine with brown and grey. How else do you think they end up being a AAA title?

But it's okay, DateYukata just so very angry that the Japanese market is slowly becoming a more niche market and its glory days being left behind ever so far away.

AAA is not a QUILTY MESURE is a buget one key word name me the longest lasting doujin Franchise Plz and is that on steam no cause it would not make it past Green light hence my point

Jan 9, 2014 2:34 PM
Mar 2011
Ezekiel said:
Do you always do this? Start with an argument that is meant to be objective ("20 games for the price of 500 yen...") and then fall back on personal preferences? The discussion wasn't about you.

What's wrong with brown and grey? You keep saying that you've already explained, but I didn't see. Not that I know what you're talking about when you say that's what 99 percent of games made in the US (As if Steam only had American games...) are.

I blame the Japanese more for the lack of Japanese games on Steam and for Windows in general. There is a lot of interest in those games, but the Japanese are shortsighted. Dark Souls did very well, even as a shitty port. Metal Gear Rising is getting healthy attention right now too.

people say brown and gray look more real right but when people want to add more true real life Mecanics in to there so called Realistc game [ hence my topic on red cross and gaming ] the brown and gray briagde go mad thay want it both ways and i dont think they should have it

and most of the japanese games on taking about here should not require much traslation just genre savy like Daisenryaku for example played any TBS game you should not what every thng does thus you can play Daisenryaku the system has not changed in 25 years looks have the core game play has not

Build fight win

its not story driven menu opopins are set like any other TBS game so no matter the language it is in any play for the genre should be able to play it and thus explain others how to

Jan 9, 2014 2:41 PM

Feb 2010
I will just say I'll be amazed if he is Japanese since all these persistent trollings do nothing but drawing out anti-Japanese response.
Jan 9, 2014 3:09 PM
Apr 2010
I use consoles for the exclusives and multiplayer and PC for the multiplatforms. I can't be bothered with just playing on PC and then bitching like a baby when games like Red Dead Redemption don't get ported.
Jan 9, 2014 3:10 PM

Nov 2013
mattbenz99 said:
snaphat said:
mattbenz99 said:

i could of but that would have taken away from the point i was trying to make. my point is that console gaming is simple and rarely do you run into problems that you find in pc gaming (for example no system requirements so the ps4 you buy today will still be able to play brand new games 6 years from now). that is a consoles strength and has always been its strength.

The point I was making was that your evaluation was unfair to consoles because you were lumping the shortcomings of PC games together into one category. PC gaming isn't superior in every-way except for "one" if you properly consider the details. In the same vein I could say consoles are superior to PCs in every way except for one: performance. In that fair? No. And Neither is saying the opposite.
Very well.
Jan 10, 2014 7:16 AM
Jan 2014
of course pcs are better ,all the games are made on a fucking pc., there's not even comparison btw the two.
Consoles are shit.
the problem is: WHERE ARE THE NEW PC GAMES? WHERE ARE THE PC EXCLUSIVES?
Yes, these stupid companies nowdays only care about money, they develop all their games on a PC, yet, the game will be a console exclusive.
There is no good games being made for pc anymore, they are afraid of piracy and all, which is pathetic.
i've seen lots and lots of piracy on consoles as well.

I really wanted to play some good japanese games, but the fact that they are all console exclusive just disgust me.
Jan 10, 2014 7:52 AM
May 2009
Japanese games are expensive as hell not to mention. Then there are import duties and taxes. and delivery costs.

But yeah its sucks. But from 2013. alot of the games released for PC were all broken buggy and needed tons of patching due to rushed releases.

PC is great and all but I rarely use it play games nowadays.
Jan 10, 2014 9:08 AM
Jan 2014
LOL this thread is awesome. Ahhhh to be a kid again, when all you have to worry about is who's dick is bigger. "PS is better, no, xbox, hell no, PC's!" All of you fanboys are the same and it really doesn't matter which "side" you are on. Myself? Im on all sides because I have all of them! Now granted, I no longer have the luxury of playing all of them because of my wife, and family, and job, and responsibilities but that is neither here nor there. Ive been gaming since the days of Commodore 64 and Atari so to see and live the evolution of gaming has been amazing.

What it comes down to is personal preference, and most fan boys just don't get it. Its cool though, if you want to get all pissed off and red in the face because some 13 year old said PC gaming sucks, thats all on you but one day you'll understand where im coming from and just enjoy what you have.

All in all, what you guys are missing is not "which is better" but how you prefer to physically play.

For me, i prefer console gaming and ill tell you why. As an IT pro, Im on my computer and a 100 others, on a keyboard and mouse, in a desk for 10 hours a day. So my PREFERENCE *most* of the time is to relax on the couch to play ps3. Sometimes ill even lay in bed to play xbox (or vise versa.)

I know, you could do the same thing with a wireless mouse and keyboard and play from a distance. Id rather sit on my couch and play The Last of Us or Battlefield 4 on my 60 inch backlit LED with friends and family around me KNOWING that pc graphics and community and hardware and everything else is "better" but its all about the EXPERIENCE.

On the other hand, i had a two week vacation over the holidays and played more skyrim on my gaming rig than i have in the past two years!

The pissing matches will never end, which I think in the end is good for the gaming industry. I stumbled across this thread because i am in the middle of renovating my house and am adding another entertainment area and am trying to figure out if i want that area to be a new pc setup or to spend some cash on a new tv and nex gen console...
Jan 12, 2014 4:57 AM
Oct 2013
I don't think ever having a console could give me the enjoyment of getting hundreds of dollars of PC parts in the mail, opening up your PC case, and installing everything yourself and admiring it.

For instance my XFX AMD Radeon R9 290, which the R9 series GPUs even come with Mantle which is a console feature.

And also, side note, Steam Box. Even though it's essentially just a high end gaming PC with Steam OS.
Jan 12, 2014 5:11 AM

Nov 2013
P-sychotic said:
I don't think ever having a console could give me the enjoyment of getting hundreds of dollars of PC parts in the mail, opening up your PC case, and installing everything yourself and admiring it.

For instance my XFX AMD Radeon R9 290, which the R9 series GPUs even come with Mantle which is a console feature.

And also, side note, Steam Box. Even though it's essentially just a high end gaming PC with Steam OS.

Building PC's was a fond memory I had growing up; getting everything to work just like you planned is oh so satisfying. Consoles have their purpose, but the PC will always be the top dog. No need to buy a whole new console when the next gen comes out, you just have to swap out a few parts every 4 years "maybe" (depends on how future-proof your PC is).
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty" - Winston Churchill

Jan 12, 2014 5:17 AM

Feb 2013
P-sychotic said:

Mantle is not a console feature, Mantle was developed to increase performance across AMD products and to allow consoles to have similar performance levels to those of PCs. Mantle has not even been proven to work in a real life scenario yet, even the BF4 showcasing with the up to '45%' performance increase is very controversial as the video showed 2 massive performance dips during the usage of Mantle.
わたしはりんごがすきです. あなた は バカ です :3

Jan 12, 2014 5:44 AM
Nov 2009
balten78 said:
All in all, what you guys are missing is not "which is better" but how you prefer to physically play.

For me, i prefer console gaming and ill tell you why. As an IT pro, Im on my computer and a 100 others, on a keyboard and mouse, in a desk for 10 hours a day. So my PREFERENCE *most* of the time is to relax on the couch to play ps3. Sometimes ill even lay in bed to play xbox (or vise versa.)

I know, you could do the same thing with a wireless mouse and keyboard and play from a distance. Id rather sit on my couch and play The Last of Us or Battlefield 4 on my 60 inch backlit LED with friends and family around me KNOWING that pc graphics and community and hardware and everything else is "better" but its all about the EXPERIENCE.

Maybe you should have read the thread beforehand. You can do all of this with your PC as well.
Jan 12, 2014 5:46 AM
Jan 2014
YuiLovesUi said:

Mantle is not a console feature, Mantle was developed to increase performance across AMD products and to allow consoles to have similar performance levels to those of PCs. Mantle has not even been proven to work in a real life scenario yet, even the BF4 showcasing with the up to '45%' performance increase is very controversial as the video showed 2 massive performance dips during the usage of Mantle.

Sort of...?

- Mantle isnt tied to AMD. Its an open-vendor API. nVidia can use it if they released a compatible architecture.
- None of Mantle's aims include trying to make consoles as powerful as PCs. That's a by product of its actual aim to simply give more control to the programmer through a lower level API which ultimately results in far better performance.
- The gains aren't controversial. Everyone knows the gains are through the roof. If the BF4 demo isnt enough to convince you, look up the Mantle Octane demo.
Jan 12, 2014 6:12 AM

Feb 2013
elemein said:
YuiLovesUi said:

Sort of...?

- Mantle isnt tied to AMD. Its an open-vendor API. nVidia can use it if they released a compatible architecture.
- None of Mantle's aims include trying to make consoles as powerful as PCs. That's a by product of its actual aim to simply give more control to the programmer through a lower level API which ultimately results in far better performance.
- The gains aren't controversial. Everyone knows the gains are through the roof. If the BF4 demo isnt enough to convince you, look up the Mantle Octane demo.

-As it stands NVIDIA has no compatible architecture
-Mantle is there to also improve console performance, which is a secondary aim and I never once stated that it is the primary goal, currently Mantle is not on console therefore it is no current feature and it might be in the future, but not yet
-The BF4 demo is not very convincing and they never once specified during the demo at which detail settings they were using they were getting their 45% improvements and whether those were consistent across the board or just peak highs
Considering that gaming is going into the 2k and 4k direction an improvement along lower resolutions doesn't mean much considering that Dell is introducing 4k monitors at $699 USD
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2014/01/09/amd-mantle-battlefield-4-demo-show-45-perfo/1

'Originally Posted by damien c
It was ran on 2 AMD GPU's possibly some Mid or High range cards, and was ran at 1080p with no info on what detail preset was used.

This was posted on the Battlefield 4 forums on Battlelog with people, claiming it was running on a single AMD R9 290 and a AMD A10 cpu, at 4K Ultra preset.

That would be impossible though considering you only get 50fps at 4K Ultra preset with 3 GTX 780Ti's.

If you watch the HD presentation and skip to where they show the demo of Mantle running, you can see up in the top left that it clearly states Mantle Rendering 2 GPU's 1920x1080 59hz.'

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=266435

Just wait till Mantle is out before making claims that are based on a single sentence that AMD said so that they can get publicity and higher sales.
YuiLovesUiJan 12, 2014 6:16 AM
わたしはりんごがすきです. あなた は バカ です :3

Jan 12, 2014 6:20 AM
Jan 2014
YuiLovesUi said:
elemein said:
YuiLovesUi said:

Sort of...?

-As it stands NVIDIA has no compatible architecture
-Mantle is there to also improve console performance, which is a secondary aim and I never once stated that it is the primary goal, currently Mantle is not on console therefore it is no current feature and it might be in the future, but not yet
-The BF4 demo is not very convincing and they never once specified during the demo at which detail settings they were using they were getting their 45% improvements and whether those were consistent across the board...

1. As it stands. It's kind of backwards to release a technology whose main goal is to increase AMD performance, and then say anyone can use it; no?

http://techreport.com/r.x/2013_11_13_Mantle_to_power_15_Frostbite_games_DICE_calls_for_multivendor_support/multivendor.jpg

You listed two goals for Mantle. Neither is a goal of the technology.

2. It isn't there to improve console performance. That's simply a byproduct. The goal of the project was a scope magnitudes larger than just consoles.

THIS is the goal: " The ultimate goal of Mantle is to give gamers the ultimate performance in compatible games, and doing that in such a way that developers are free to put forth whatever effort is required to ensure optimal performance for competing platforms."

http://community.amd.com/community/amd-blogs/amd-gaming/blog/2013/10/17/the-four-core-principles-of-amd-s-mantle

Not your speculations.

3. So you only read half my comment? I said go see the Octane demo.
Jan 12, 2014 6:24 AM

Jul 2008
Slightly relevant: I'm playing Arcanum right now. Which was released in 2001. In the same PC that can run Total War: Rome 2, released a few months ago. Which is I'm using right now to make this post. lol

Heck thanks to DOSBox I could play Ultima 4 which are older than me. lol

A big mention to GoG too because they keep the good old games...good in more ways than one.

My cousin has a PS3, I'll just try playing Persona 4 (PS2) with it...oops nope I can't.
Jan 12, 2014 3:11 PM

Nov 2013
Much of the "performance increase" from Mantle are the result of decreased the draw call overhead that is inherit in the PC APIs. Draw call overhead has always been a non-issue in consoles since they were using more bare-to-metal APIs to begin with...

So with that I would surmise that you are unlikely to see much performance benefits even if Mantle ends up in use on consoles.
Very well.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

15 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
3 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

28 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
3 hours ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - 11 hours ago

1 by rootje_43 »»
4 hours ago

» Whats a game you'd see yourself as an expert in? ( 1 2 3 )

Disapeared_Ghost - Jun 28, 2021

147 by rootje_43 »»
4 hours ago

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

51 by juanlqr »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.