Forum Settings
Forums

Why/what is the purpose of excessive panty shots?

New
Do you enjoy panty shots during action scenes in anime?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 31, 2013 5:42 AM

Jul 2012
almost dropped bakemonogatari right off the bat because of that panty shot.

totally unnecessary in a great series.
also makes it awkward when i watch it with friends aren't as big anime fans as me.
i'm like... oh yeah, that happens. but this show is good, i swear
i don't know everything
i just know what i know...
Dec 31, 2013 5:47 AM
Jul 2018
Panty shots
??????
Profit!
Dec 31, 2013 5:53 AM

May 2013
Riiken said:
Wecc said:
IntroverTurtle said:
The purpose is obvious, to provide a little stimulation.

Why don't people watch hentai? BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO MASTURBATE. Yeesh, people always ask that. It's quite stupid. There are times when you just want to watch pretty women do things like that. Car commercials, restaurants, almost everything has sexual fanservice. You're not supposed to masturbate to it, it's meant as a little stimulation while doing something else, enjoying a show, looking at car prices or features, ordering your food.

I can understand wanting to look at beautiful women but do i have to be looking up her skirt constantly?

Then don't watch fucking ecchi and go watch something else. Jesus, it's not that hard.

I didn't know Wecc was the new Jesus, but yeah, what Turtle said. We don't always want to jack off.
Dec 31, 2013 6:17 AM

Nov 2013
I don't dislike panty shots and I don't love it. I don't mind that it's there, but at the same time if it's during an action scene I don't want the camera to only facus only on the girls panties.
Dec 31, 2013 6:41 AM

Nov 2012
Lolled. People that hate a great series because of ecchi are dam prude though.
Dec 31, 2013 6:44 AM

Dec 2012
Riiken said:
Wecc said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Why don't people watch hentai? BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO MASTURBATE. Yeesh, people always ask that. It's quite stupid. There are times when you just want to watch pretty women do things like that. Car commercials, restaurants, almost everything has sexual fanservice. You're not supposed to masturbate to it, it's meant as a little stimulation while doing something else, enjoying a show, looking at car prices or features, ordering your food.

I can understand wanting to look at beautiful women but do i have to be looking up her skirt constantly?

Then don't watch fucking ecchi and go watch something else. Jesus, it's not that hard.

this
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Dec 31, 2013 8:43 AM

Dec 2013
At this point i don't really care anymore. I mean sure it happens the frequency depends on what you'r watching but if its an action anime you either like the skirt's being flipped or learn to not care. That's what i think anyways
Dec 31, 2013 8:44 AM

Mar 2013
Stupidest question I have seen on the forum so far. They are in anime because the majority of anime fans are guys guys have dicks and dicks like panty shots
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Dec 31, 2013 9:02 AM

Aug 2013
Telling me to stop watching a whole genre just because i don't like a few things about it doesn't make any sense. I've been trying to watch as many different genres as possible so i don't lose interest in the long run. Despite not liking the Rosario+ Vampire anime that much as a whole i really liked Mizore. I also enjoyed what I have seen so far out of the Monogatari franchise. If i stopped watching every genre that I didn't like a few things about I would probably end up watching nothing.
Dec 31, 2013 9:16 AM

Jun 2012
Wecc said:
Telling me to stop watching a whole genre just because i don't like a few things about it doesn't make any sense. I've been trying to watch as many different genres as possible so i don't lose interest in the long run. Despite not liking the Rosario+ Vampire anime that much as a whole i really liked Mizore. I also enjoyed what I have seen so far out of the Monogatari franchise. If i stopped watching every genre that I didn't like a few things about I would probably end up watching nothing.

My problem is that you are complaining about the very aspect which is core of the ecchi genre. Which is PANTSU. It's like making a thread "why is there so much fighting in action anime" "why is are there so many jokes in this comedy" "why is everyone in love in this romance". If you're looking for anime to watch and you see the ecchi tag, either move on to search for pure action or unzip your pants and have a blast. But don't make a thread about pantsu breaking your precious immersion when watching an ecchi anime.(unless you provide pics)
Dec 31, 2013 9:23 AM

Nov 2012
Appeal to horny prebubescent teenagers.
Dec 31, 2013 9:29 AM

Aug 2013
Anime and manga has always had sexual appeal in it, and mostly aimed at young men...so, yeah. I'm sure it's already been said a million times, so who cares...
Dec 31, 2013 9:30 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
no opinion

oversized breasts appearing out of nowhere are way more annoying though
Dec 31, 2013 11:18 AM

Jun 2009
I'm indifferent to it.

Panty-shots don't actually makes me excited, and a badly timed panty-shot actually ruin a scene imo.

I don't see the appeal in it, a beautiful, seductive posture or heartburn inducing facial expression is far more stimulating than a common panty-shot imo.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 31, 2013 11:51 AM

Jun 2013
Oh look, this thread again.

Dec 31, 2013 3:57 PM

Nov 2013
HaXXspetten said:
no opinion

oversized breasts appearing out of nowhere are way more annoying though

Indeed, hence why Highschool DxD lost a point for me.... :)
/人 ‿‿ 人\
Dec 31, 2013 3:59 PM

Oct 2013
I tend to stay away from shows with to much of that. Its like the creators are telling me I have a short attention span for the fighting and a bunch of panty shots will keep me interested when it is just the opposite. I'm not so teenage horn dog get this shitty fanservice out of hear.
Dec 31, 2013 4:27 PM

Feb 2010
excessive boners
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 31, 2013 4:35 PM

Jul 2013
For admiration, it takes skill.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 31, 2013 9:54 PM

Sep 2013
It didn't take long after I started watching anime regularly for me to encounter examples of excessive and gratuitous panty flashes. In most cases, I just didn't see the point. Clearly, there is a cultural disconnect at some level.

My curiosity led me to conduct some limited research. It seems that the Japanese, or at least a significant portion of the population, have an unusual attraction to and obsession with panties. I remember, years ago, hearing about vending machines that sold used panties. As far as I can determine, this obsession can be traced to the fact that panties are a relatively new innovation in Japanese society, and that they gained strong sexual connotations as soon as they were introduced. Of course, panties are sexualized in many cultures, but the Japanese seem to take it to an extreme. Looking at this phenomenon as a disinterested outsider, from an anthropological/sociological viewpoint, it is quite fascinating. In this context, it probably makes sense that many animated programs would feature numerous panty flashes. The Japanese are, of course, conscious of this fetishization of panties, and there are satirical anime series that make the most of it.

When judging how well I like an anime series, I apply the same standards to panty flashes as I do to any other characteristic. I don't find panty flashes inherently offensive; in fact, they can be used to great comic effect. I get tired of panty flashes when they serve as a distraction and add nothing to the narrative of the program or to the characters. "Rosario+Vampire" is a great example. This anime is infamous for its gratuitous fan service. All of the main female characters flash their panties frequently regardless of whether it is in character for them to do so or whether these panty flashes advance the plot in any way. While I found a lot of enjoyment in the series, I found the fan service to be a distraction. Panty flashes and other fan service probably make sense for only one of the main characters. Kurumu, the succubus, is supposed to be a hyper-sexualized being, and it makes perfect sense that she would flash her panties and make full use of her ample breasts. However, Moka is quiet and dignified, and the inner Moka is rather fearsome; neither one seems like the type who would casually exhibit her underwear. Yukari is an adorable child; sexualizing her is creepy. Mizore is a quiet type, aggressive in her own way, but certainly not an overt exhibitionist. If the fan service had been confined primarily to Kurumu and a few of the more overtly sexual minor characters, it would have been in character and could have added to the story. To me, this series is an example of how not to use the panty flash; although I rated it highly anyway due to other factors, I downgraded it a point for the excessive fan service.

The series "Colorful" (the one that consists of many very short episodes - there are two animes by this name), there are numerous panty flashes, but this series is intended to be a satire of the sexual obsessions of Japanese men, so the fan service is completely appropriate and contributes to some hilarious situations. The panty flashes are absolutely necessary to the narrative and the satire, and the series would not work without them.

In summary, I hate excessive and gratuitous panty flashes and other fan service because they add nothing to the plot, the characters, or the atmosphere of the series. However, I like programs that use the panty flash when it makes sense in the context of the narrative.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Dec 31, 2013 10:17 PM

Oct 2012
FishTaco said:
wtf so color of pantsu is actually a symbolic representation of the character's personality? O_o

Kyuutoryuu said:
Shrabster said:
It involves your hand and imagination.

Wait, people actually get horny off of fanservice?

Revelations all over this motherfucker.

mattbenz99 said:
Stupidest question I have seen on the forum so far. They are in anime because the majority of anime fans are guys guys have dicks and dicks like panty shots

Maybe he meant it in the more metaphysical sense, like "What is the intrinsic value of the phenomenon known as pantsu and why are we attracted to it?".

Jan 1, 2014 1:59 AM

Apr 2012
I'm gonna have to say indifferent. As much as panty shots annoy me and make me feel like I'm being slapped in the face 99% of the time, there is that rare 1%

exhibit A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEhLWQn4fi0
Jan 2, 2014 4:56 AM
Jan 2013
Because japan.
Jan 2, 2014 6:19 AM

Dec 2012
It really is all about context. I mean I probably would have 1/10 dropped Psycho Pass if they did a panty shot when -

Or Shingeki no Kyojin having girls clothes ripped off before they're eaten alive and blood sprays everywhere.

In a serious situation, ecchi and fan-service is going to detract from that scene's full potential.
Jan 2, 2014 6:42 AM

Apr 2011
Ratohnhaketon said:
It really is all about context. I mean I probably would have 1/10 dropped Psycho Pass if they did a panty shot when -

Or Shingeki no Kyojin having girls clothes ripped off before they're eaten alive and blood sprays everywhere.

In a serious situation, ecchi and fan-service is going to detract from that scene's full potential.
Yeah. I like it better if they just move all fan-service in their own separate episodes and have that episode skippable enough that even if I don't watch it, it wouldn't affect the development of the story.
Oct 3, 2015 12:12 AM

Jun 2015
Why is it not ok to see panties?
Oct 3, 2015 12:15 AM

Sep 2014
It disgusts me that any of you unworthy fucks gets to look at my waifu's beautiful pantsu

Only I have that right
Oct 3, 2015 12:19 AM
Feb 2013
If the fanservice is good, then its enjoyable. Most of the time it is. But there are some instances where fanservice isn't appealing like when some loli children get their clothes taken off, that's not appealing.

Would Kill La Kill be as good without all its fan service. Think about that
KendiKongOct 3, 2015 12:25 AM
Oct 3, 2015 12:47 AM
Jun 2015
It is to add an extra layer of depth; the color of their panties/pattern adds an extra layer of characterization. Also artists that work in the anime industry often need a way to differentiate themselves and compete with other artists to make it big in the industry. Pantsu shots are basically the first thing shown in their portfolio, if the recruiting manager gets a boner he is hired. Loli pantsu shots are considered high art in the anime industry and many artists have won awards for being post modern masterpieces that every Anime Studio frames their best pantsu shot on the wall.
Oct 3, 2015 1:03 AM

Apr 2014
Don't mind as long as it doesn't kill the mood. If it's in an action scene, it's probably going to kill the mood.
Oct 3, 2015 1:13 AM

Aug 2015
Kyuutoryuu said:
Shrabster said:
It involves your hand and imagination.

Wait, people actually get horny off of fanservice?

Euhm, no , guys don't get horny of it, at least me not. And why panty shots? Really simple answer the first guy said it already --> fanservice. It's just smth to please the audience.
And in ecchi it's pretty common, so if the OP dislikes ecchi in general now, because of this, then I guess ecchi is nothing for him. What do you expect of a anime with the genre ecchi, no fanservice? :P

Oct 3, 2015 1:19 AM
Sep 2015
Holy necro. Anyway, it bugs me. Part of the reason I've been stuck on shoujo for almost a decade is that it largely allows me to avoid excessive panty and cleavage shots. Not that shoujo is immune to fanservice in its various forms, but at least it tends to be more relevant. It still makes me uncomfortable when guys get topless, of course, but at least I don't feel like someone's holding up a neon sign saying, "BOYS ONLY!"
Oct 3, 2015 1:28 AM

May 2015
IntroverTurtle said:

This.

But I don't like panty shots. The whole story stops to linger on it and it's just underwear. I prefer my fanservice to just have sexy girls doing stuff.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 3, 2015 9:24 AM

Jun 2015
IntroverTurtle said:

THAT DOESNT MAKE ANY SENSE
Oct 3, 2015 9:25 AM

Jun 2015
INDIFFRENT.

THE ONLY PANTY SHOT I WANTED AND WAS DENIED WAS AKIYAMA MIO'S WHEN SHE TRIPS.

TO FAP TO IT. OFCOURSE I AM DOING FINE WITHOUT IT, BUT STILL.
Oct 3, 2015 9:27 AM
Jul 2018
Pardon me but ..imo panty shots can't be excessive ;)
Oct 3, 2015 9:32 AM
Nov 2014
Plot.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - 2 hours ago

14 by BilboBaggins365 »»
2 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 4 hours ago

21 by MichaelJackson »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

33 by W3TFT »»
9 minutes ago

» im kinda new to anime

thefoxkiller12 - Apr 29, 2022

18 by MichaelJackson »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 2 hours ago

6 by FanofAction »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.