Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 8, 2009 6:29 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's an episode about bees and Erin finally settling down in her new life. Just as we see, Joun already noticed how intelligent Erin is and how much potential she has...

lol at the bee queen...

I personally found that this anime is turning into the right direction....

Next episode looks things are really starting to get interesting....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Mar 11, 2009 6:07 PM

Apr 2008
Erin is very smart.

I didn't know that the name Erin means wild (red) apples until the new character John mentioned it.
Mar 11, 2009 6:16 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
WaterLily said:
Erin is very smart.

I didn't know that the name Erin means wild (red) apples until the new character John mentioned it.

Lol. you couldn't know, it's not even in Japanese....Sure, rin can sorta be "ringo" (apple in Japanese) but 'e' doesn't sound like red (aka, seki, shaku, etc) in any way....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Mar 14, 2009 11:08 AM

Aug 2008
Well, what started as a boring episode about bees turned into a good metaphor for Erin's resolve to fight on for her mother's sake. Ok episode bordering on good, if only they would stop with some of the childish presentation and fart jokes.
Mar 22, 2009 2:32 PM

Jan 2008
We came for anime and got a genuine lesson in apiculture. I liked it.
Apr 21, 2009 1:30 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007

That was indeed a very nice episode. Clever Erin.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 22, 2009 2:04 AM
Dec 2007
datsunvic said:
We came for anime and got a genuine lesson in apiculture. I liked it.

Haha, yeah :)

Kemono no Souja Erin is like a fresh breeze in the world of anime to me, I SO love it. It's educative, fun, clever and a great family entertainment, pretty much like Mujin Wakusei Survive, but better.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 22, 2009 11:12 PM

Nov 2006
i really wish the mom wasn't the narrator.
Apr 24, 2009 5:20 PM

Aug 2008
That was very educational.

I didn't find this episode boring at all because I know nothing about bees. Not to mention, episodes like this is essential to develop the main character. It looks like she already found her new place to stay. However, I'm sure that she is not going to stay with him any longer.

May 4, 2009 5:43 AM

Oct 2008
lol the bee keeper has an insane laugh. good episode, educational indeed
Jul 8, 2009 8:43 AM

Jan 2008
windy said:
i really wish the mom wasn't the narrator.
Yes, it bothers me somewhat.

Got a bit teary eyed when Erin realised she had taken her stay for granted.
Nov 10, 2009 11:24 PM

Mar 2007
Must say this episode affected me much more than any of the previous ones.
Jun 13, 2010 7:23 AM
Jul 2018
cyruz said:

This blush was super moe <3

aero said:
Got a bit teary eyed when Erin realised she had taken her stay for granted.

and this ;;
Aug 25, 2011 6:27 AM

Sep 2008
yatsuslave said:
That was very educational.

I didn't find this episode boring at all because I know nothing about bees. Not to mention, episodes like this is [sic, recte are] essential to develop the main character. It looks like she already found her new place to stay. However, I'm sure that she is not going to stay with him any longer.

Actually, I have to agree. I know nothing about bees, and I'm sure I probably won't do anything with what I learned here, but it was still cool. I liked it. And it felt like Erin got a bit of [necessary] character development, as well as developing the "friendship" (feels more like a parent/child or teacher/student) between her and 'Jone'.
noteDhero said:
Ok episode bordering on good, if only they would stop with some of the childish presentation and fart jokes.

I was beginning to wonderful myself what all the flatulence was supposed to add to the series... Comedy? It doesn't really need it, and Jone's still a good character without his, um, supposedly gassy gut.
Jun 3, 2012 10:46 PM

May 2010
These fart jokes have to stop
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 9, 2012 6:14 PM

Apr 2011
Good Direction! I'm glad Erin is moving forward and its really interesting, to see how she reacted and realize her situation.
Mar 22, 2014 12:20 PM

May 2012
Interesting development, other than the farts that man is quite an interesting beekeeper!
Jun 21, 2014 11:00 PM

Aug 2013
John = best man. His kindness made me all teary-eyed.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 1, 2014 3:55 PM

Nov 2012
They're really making Erin seem unnaturally bright/sharp for being a kid.
Oct 13, 2014 6:00 AM

Nov 2009
VanishingKira said:
They're really making Erin seem unnaturally bright/sharp for being a kid.
I think half of it is just positive reinforcement, he seems to really eager to praise her, probably to try and take her mind off her mother's death.

Anywhom, I wonder when she will tell him about her past.
Jun 8, 2015 1:42 AM

Jul 2008
You know there's a pill for gas issues....just saying.

So we're stuck here for a bit, but I wonder how long.
Sep 4, 2015 7:18 PM

Nov 2010
Aaah... I didn't think this anime would hit me in the feels so often..
Beautiful episode.
Had me tearing up again when Erin went down on her knees asking to stay and that she was willing to work for it.
Mar 29, 2016 3:25 PM
May 2010
Well he probably also considers her to be sharp, and given how she's often been interested in her mothers work, and read most likely quite a few books on herbal plants, she has a very large amount of knowledge of plants, most likely surpassing Sir Farts a lot.
Oct 25, 2017 9:15 PM

Mar 2012
Why the hell is a kid worried about paying off a debt that isn't even being asked of them to be paid?

Educational part about bees was alright I guess.
Aug 15, 2018 2:08 PM

Sep 2011
Jone truly is a good person, it was lovely to watch him teaching Erin all about the bees, and Erin in turn showed him just how smart she is. But since such a big loss and trauma can't go away this easily, Erin keeps remembering her mother in the smallest things.

I can only guess how painful it was the realization, that she had no money, and no home to go back to, the saddest part is that she knows it even though she is really young, because normally she should have a place by her grandfather, but there is no love or future for her there. Fortunately, she steels her resolve, and decides once again to keep living in this world her mother left for her, she is going to make a place for her by working in earnest.
May 22, 2019 6:27 AM

Oct 2012
Surprisingly that was pretty educational about bees

That was very nice episode
I'm glad John found Erin, if it's other people I don't know what she might become
I guess she's really lucky, afterall goddess of luck.. her mother is on her side xD
"Signature removed"
Jun 3, 2019 1:03 AM
Dec 2014
I was actually drinking tea with honey while watching this episode. Love the stuff, although its very expensive. Especially the organic brands. Bees- and by extension honey are very endangered.

This show is really great and I'm glad at least one fansub group picked it up.
Jun 23, 2019 7:31 PM
Jul 2018
Erin is clearly meant to be a good role model for the kids watching. She's smart, curious, refuses to be a freeloader, and has perseverance.

Gotta say, Erin is taking the violent and traumatizing death of her mother really well. If someone I cared about deeply was eaten by a pack of dragon beasts as I was swept away on another dragon beast, I'd probably lose my mind. That goes double if I was 10 when it happened.

I liked the episode.
Feb 2, 2021 12:18 PM

Feb 2020
I actually got the equivalent of a documentary about bees, and I didn't expect to enjoy it this much. It even reinforced the interest I already had in these little insects.

Also, Jone is truly an adorable man. For some reason his relationship with Erin reminds me of Heidi (from the anime of the same name) and her grandfather. I mean the two duos are very different in personality but there's something similar. Considering that Heidi is a big part of my childhood, I have to say I love seeing this similarity.
Also, it is very nice to see Erin maturing, however I agree with some comments above, not only does she seem too brave, but she also handles her trauma surprisingly well. I'll just assume that it is Jone who really has a good influence on her.
Feb 18, 2021 3:43 PM

Jul 2017
I thought that was a really good episode, one of the best of this series early on so far. Very educational and was consistently interesting throughout with its mixture of exposition of the life of taking care of bees, with Erin also trying to find the next step in her journey and move on from the loss of her mother who wanted her to live on to the future. Definitely some solid world building and character progression with a fun, documentary feel to this episode as well.
Jan 13, 2022 9:34 PM

Aug 2018
hopefully erin and Jone lead an army to kill all toudas!

Feb 21, 2022 3:27 PM

Jan 2010
The metaphor of Erin going off on her own like a young queen bee is a bit shaky, but I understand what the show is trying to get at. Still, she's not quite on her own, as the apparent saint of honey and goodwill Jone is here to help care for Erin. I like the scenario of Erin feeling guilty for living for free of of Jone's hospitality, and Jone, upon recognizing her distress, decides to work-live in his place. The cost of tending to his animals and chores offsetting the cost of a room and board is a nice way to ease Erin's concerns. She's way too young to live on her own, so by the grace of divine intervention, Erin managed to get pseudo-adopted by Jone. For what it's worth, Erin's knowledge of zoology would presumedly be unmatched if she lives in Jone's care long enough.
Mar 26, 2023 8:57 PM

Nov 2021
Erin so cute (´▽`ʃ♡ƪ)...
her VA is doing a great job!
Jul 1, 2023 1:16 PM

Jan 2021

I know that the whole thing about the queen is being directly related to both Erin and her mom moving from their previous communities - but there's also a big commentary on how the entire domain of the Grand Duke operates. The discussion of how a queen can be MADE is also really playing directly into the other plot going on with our noble friend and the two sons of the Grand Duke and has some disconcerting thoughts about how the structure of their land may topple. Definitely seeing how this ties into both 'the queen's no different from us' line of thinking and 'she cannot leave where she is - because that causes the upheaval of half of the populace'.
Really fascinating subtext here.
We've also got a look into just how much Erin's curiosity causes her to abandon any cautions and safeties - which I can say will probably set her up for some small disasters in the near future.
Jone also did her a solid by trying not to tie her worth to what she can do at the outset - but for Erin growing up in a household where Soyon very much tied her worth to the community with her inherent value as a healer, it's a little too hard for Erin to fully grasp. Saying that what she CAN do presently is worth her existing in his home is a good and powerful message.
Jul 2, 2023 3:55 PM

Apr 2019
Best episode so far

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 36 Discussion

wakka9ca - Sep 20, 2009

26 by Rob7 »»
Nov 15, 2023 4:58 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 42 Discussion

DeathfireD - Nov 1, 2009

31 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:05 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 41 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 25, 2009

37 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:03 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 40 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 17, 2009

39 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:27 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 39 Discussion

Ahohime - Oct 11, 2009

40 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.