Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Witchcraft Works
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Jan 7, 2014 1:39 PM

Nov 2013
Doesn't click with me, as in making sense.
Watching for the fire witch ._.
Jan 7, 2014 3:26 PM
Mar 2011
As long as this doesn't turn into a harem anime I'll keep watching. Found myself laughing at some things in the first episode. Seems to transition from serious to light too often though.
Jan 7, 2014 3:35 PM

Apr 2013
Too many things happened in this first episode but damn, the action was pretty good.
Jan 7, 2014 5:15 PM

Dec 2012
Can't honestly say that I enjoyed this very much. Everything about this premise just seems ridiculously generic. The main character is an average unnotable student, most popular girl in school gets involved with him, she is humble and silent despite having a huge fanbase, there are secret supernatural forces that battle within a high school and the heroine is a badass fighter while the MC is kinda wimpy.

Action was okay at best and the humour I didn't find particularly funny. Only thing that I kinda liked was the rabbits, they were cool.
Jan 7, 2014 11:26 PM

Dec 2013
I feel like they tried to hard to be vague about things that it just came off flat, I'm really not a fan on the main guy either yet. So far this is probably in the bottom half of what I started of the winter season so far.
Jan 8, 2014 6:03 AM

Jun 2011
Just as I expected this to be, can't say I'm disappointed but it ain't any better either. Just like my thoughts for the manga, this seems to be pretty decent except for the MC
I'll just watch this as it goes on, no high hopes, just to waste time with some okay anime :P Not gonna be even nearly the top of this season but watchable
Jan 8, 2014 12:24 PM
Aug 2011
I did not like that. As of right now i've watched about 8 premiers this season and this was the worst one so far.

-female MC was really boring
-male MC was irritating and equally boring as she was
After a while of listening to him he just started sounding monotonous and I started tuning out him.
-the rabbits were stupid even for cannon fodder
-the classmates fawning and obsessing over main character (I didn't even remember her name tbh) was annoying as fuck.
It took about 10 seconds before it got incredibly old and tiring.

This wasn't funny enough to be a comedy or serious enough for me to take seriously.
Actually, the whole time I was watching I kept thinking "When are we getting a Yamada-kun adaptation?"

Might drop in a couple more episodes.
Jan 8, 2014 2:21 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Not too impressed. I hope the characters have a lot more depth than shown so far.

The way attractive people are treated in anime like if they were some sort of superior people is really irritating. Is it just an anime trope? Or do high school kids in Japan really fawn on the "elito" as much as is portrayed in anime?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 8, 2014 2:47 PM

May 2013
Marzan said:
The way attractive people are treated in anime like if they were some sort of superior people is really irritating. Is it just an anime trope? Or do high school kids in Japan really fawn on the "elito" as much as is portrayed in anime?

WTF? This has nothing to do with anime or high schools or japan, it is a fact of life that attractive people are given a deferential treatment by most people. Quick, try to find someone ugly in TV or movies or magazines (outside horror/gore movies), you will find none, even the obese people you see there are attractive and photoshoped to look even better.
Jan 8, 2014 3:10 PM

Jan 2013
So when this series ends, if it gets an 8 will everyone pretend they didnt say it sucked in this thread?
Jan 8, 2014 3:52 PM
Aug 2011
SolviteSekai said:
So when this series ends, if it gets an 8 will everyone pretend they didnt say it sucked in this thread?

What are you going on about? I regret nothing!
Jan 8, 2014 5:10 PM

Oct 2012
-ShadowClaw- said:
Xeynaroth said:
Am I the only one who thinks its weird that Kagari is so popular, she doesnt look good at all !
Way too tall, I mean she's taller than the guys...

and whats wrong with a tall girl being even taller than a guy huh? some people actually love tall women

Anyway the first episode might seem a bit like a cliche gir is populer, guy gets beaten up for talking to her, saving the main characters life from some enemy because he is 'special' a romance starts to form etc... but hey it was still an enjoyable episode and u cant judge a series by the first ep alone so my actuall review on the series ill come a bit later

I'm sorry, I may have said that the wrong way, never meant that there was anything wrong with her being tall and I realise that some people like tall girls, just I don't.
I just in general dont see any reason for her to be this popular...
Well its just the first episode so I might find out later on :P
Jan 8, 2014 5:18 PM
Jan 2009
mangamuscle said:
Marzan said:

WTF? This has nothing to do with anime or high schools or japan, it is a fact of life that attractive people are given a deferential treatment by most people. Quick, try to find someone ugly in TV or movies or magazines (outside horror/gore movies), you will find none, even the obese people you see there are attractive and photoshoped to look even better.

That's not what Marzan is talking about. Very few actual high schools in the US have any sort of "cult of personality" or fanclub around a single person. I suspect real-world Japan is similar... But in anime, there often tends to be a single most popular person in the school, with literally ten or twenty people just following them around in the background. This works in a show like BakaTest or NouCome, but that's it - in a show not centered primarily around absurdist comedy, it just seems ridiculous.
Pie is delicious.

Jan 8, 2014 5:43 PM

Feb 2013
This seems like it will be an alright anime. I'm not expecting much out of it.
Jan 8, 2014 5:47 PM

May 2013
V2Blast said:
That's not what Marzan is talking about. Very few actual high schools in the US have any sort of "cult of personality" or fanclub around a single person. I suspect real-world Japan is similar... But in anime, there often tends to be a single most popular person in the school, with literally ten or twenty people just following them around in the background. This works in a show like BakaTest or NouCome, but that's it - in a show not centered primarily around absurdist comedy, it just seems ridiculous.

If you really believe that the quarterback of the football team (or other jock figure) and the beauty queen do not generate the phenomenon called cult of personality you are either delusional or live in a very small town.
Jan 8, 2014 10:51 PM

Oct 2010
Takamiya's passive spinelessness is utterly repulsive. They must be digging that weak male character hole pretty deep. I haven't yet seen an anime in a while where the guy gets crap slapped out of him the first episode, and takes it like a little bicchi. Watching this episode makes me feel like my balls are shrinking.

I'd be quick to write this off as another generic anime, but it seems to be a little bit better than that. I suppose that can be attributed to Kagari. She makes this anime somewhat watchable in a way that no loud, obnoxious tsundere throwing childish tantrums could.
Jan 9, 2014 1:10 AM

Nov 2012
first episode.. it was okay I guess..
the story is interesting the chara is okay .. the OST is really good..
but it feels like it really going too fast.. just not really good I guess.. :/
Jan 9, 2014 1:21 AM

Aug 2012
This is interesting. The two protagonists are okay. The premise is a bit weird. The OST is fine. Well, I love the OP/ED especially the ED.
Jan 9, 2014 9:52 AM

Jul 2010
Everyone says that's harem , are we talking about Kagari-san's harem ? :D

I'd laugh so much when she said ''princess'' to him .I liked it, that's a good adaptation.
Jan 9, 2014 12:05 PM

Nov 2011
Looks like it's gonna be good!

The ED is catchy. Inquisition tortures moefied.

GET DROPBOX HERE!
Bonus space for you and me with this link! Now 500MB per referral, up to 16GB from referrals alone.
Jan 9, 2014 1:17 PM

Apr 2013
takamiya is the personification of bland, fights were good, art ranges from ok to very good, music is pretty good

nor sure yet but will continue to watch it for now, dat ending though haha
xSanoxJan 11, 2014 7:18 PM
Jan 9, 2014 1:38 PM
Feb 2013
I found it weird at first - quite contrasting funny and serious scenes (for the latter: the stalking scene and rabbit in the box/building weather scenes were nicely done / have nice music), but it merged nicely.

Seems entertaining, however I don't like the two main characters.
Those evil witches looks promising.
kcuf
Jan 9, 2014 4:11 PM
Jan 2008
It's not a harem, but most people have already said that so I won't keep rambling on about it. They want...a certain something that Honoka just happens to have, and no, it's not his dong.

About him being a "spineless little bitch" - if the ENTIRE SCHOOL was out to get you, how long would you last? The fact that the entire school is enamored with Kagari was my only real gripe. Hopefully they don't show up that much in latter material. I really need to read the manga.

Ironically, it seems that the definition of bland "Magical Warfare" has more people saying just how "awesome" it is. Hmm... (compared to how supposedly "bland" and "cliched" WCW is)
ZodiacBeastJan 9, 2014 4:27 PM
Jan 9, 2014 9:06 PM

Jun 2012
jose21 said:
Not so bad.

LOL everytime she called him princess.

- I only draw freestyle! -
Jan 10, 2014 4:41 AM

Aug 2012
Wow, what the fuck did I just watch? I didn't pick this series to watch some high school kid get bullied by irrational cult-minded fans, only to have him shrug it off like it was business as usual, like it was freaking comedy.

If they don't drop that shit in the next two episodes, then this series is beyond saving.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Jan 10, 2014 8:56 AM

Jun 2011
Pretty good start. Loved the ED the chibi is too great with catchy songs.

Noticed a lot of manga getting adaptation this season and pretty much all of them have great animation quality.
Jan 10, 2014 10:07 AM

Dec 2011
I'm not sure why but I found that oddly entertaining.

Those murderous fluffy bunny robots. Or prod-prod with the wiener. Or Kagari calling Takamiya her "princess"...

Anyway, looks interesting I guess. Good start and will keep it up for now though I'm not all that sure about its potential for the future.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 10, 2014 12:33 PM

May 2013
this looks fun
Jan 10, 2014 4:06 PM

Apr 2013
gamer2710 said:
Wow, what the fuck did I just watch? I didn't pick this series to watch some high school kid get bullied by irrational cult-minded fans, only to have him shrug it off like it was business as usual, like it was freaking comedy.

If they don't drop that shit in the next two episodes, then this series is beyond saving.
I have a good advice for next time, read the synopsis.
Jan 10, 2014 5:20 PM

Jan 2013
Lol it's pretty stupid. But funny. I had laughs all the time even though everything I saw in this episode I've seen in other anime too ("everything" as in laughable situations).
Utsugi Kanna is quite... umm disappointed? angry? I have no idea xD. And I kinda like Kazari Rin.
That ED :))) and the karaoke..
Jan 10, 2014 7:17 PM

Aug 2012
Sourire said:
gamer2710 said:

I have a good advice for next time, read the synopsis.
I did.
Crunchyroll said:
Takamiya Honoka is just an average student who just so happens to sit next to Kagari Ayaka, the "Princess" of the school, and has never said a word to her. However, one day when Takamiya's life is put in danger, Kagari arrives to his rescue dressed as a witch. It is revealed that Kagari is what is known as a Workshop Witch within the city and Takamiya is under her protection and shall henceforth protect him from any danger that ensues...
Nowhere in there does it mention bullying or beating up specifically. However, it's not that bullying in fiction bothers me too much (I wouldn't avoid it even if the synopsis did mention it), but rather it's that it was put in there just as another cliche time killer to get some cheap laughs.
gamer2710Jan 10, 2014 7:22 PM
Jan 10, 2014 7:25 PM

Dec 2012
It wasn't used for comedy. It's point was to show that he is passive and doesn't really care about what happens to him, apathetic about his own self. And to show the extreme admiration other students have for the princess almost like a cult following. He was only bullied because of the princess after all. And since the princess scared them, they will probably never touch him so don't worry those very small scenes probably won't appear again and make this anime ''beyond saving'', smh.

Drop the red keys act please, we don't need another person like him. One is bad enough.
tsudecimoJan 10, 2014 7:30 PM
Jan 10, 2014 7:32 PM

Aug 2012
tsudecimo said:
It wasn't used for comedy. It's point was to show that he is passive and doesn't really care about what happens to him, apathetic about his own self. And to show the extreme adimaration other students have for the princess. He was only bullied because of the princess after all. And since the princess scared them, they will probably never touch him so don't worry those very small scenes probably won't appear again and make this anime ''beyond saving'', smh.
Well if you think that's the case, then they did a pretty poor job of it by making those fans seem less than human. At least they drew a line by making them small throwaway scenes that hopefully won't happen again.

Drop the red keys act please, we don't need another person like him.
Right, because expressing an opinion that's coincidentally in line with someone else's that you don't like is intolerable. I'm sorry for agreeing with some of his points.
Jan 10, 2014 7:41 PM

Dec 2012
Less than human? people bully other people for the shittiest of reasons. That scene wasn't out of the ordinary. They are just one dimensional characters and are used for comedy like the Obama dude. The bullying itself and the MC getting hurt wasn't a comedy thing.

I quite like the fact that the MC is not a whiny character but instead an apathetic one, that makes him more interesting for me even though others might think he is boring. His personality is further validated to be that way after the princess saved him in the actual fight. I think he is going to be a good character with more depth than you would expect in this type of setting.

I called it a red keys act because he is the one who takes a trivial or small scene about his precious male characters getting hurt and blows it out of proportion. The way you worded is exactly the same way he would. I think there is something fundamentally wrong with him and I don't want to see another person with the same attitude ranting about an anime that I like and might love. You are free and entitled to whatever opinion of course, I just wish you wouldn't ''coincidentally'' have the same stupid mindset he has. No hard feelings.
Jan 10, 2014 7:53 PM

Aug 2012
tsudecimo said:
Less than human? people bully other people for the shittiest of reasons. That scene wasn't out of the ordinary. They are just one dimensional characters and are used for comedy like the Obama dude. The bullying itself and the MC getting hurt wasn't a comedy thing.

I quite like the fact that the MC is not a whiny character but instead an apathetic one, that makes him more interesting for me even though others might think he is boring. His personality is further validated to be that way after the princess saved him in the actual fight. I think he is going to be a good character with more depth than you would expect in this type of setting.
Well besides that scene, I still have hope for this anime because from what people have said, he develops and gains depth as the series had progressed in the source material. That and apparently it's not a harem despite my fear from the last scene of the episode because if it was, it would conflict with the image I got from the synopsis of the story. I can already imagine the trite-filled garbage that would ensue if that were the case...

I called it a red keys act because he is the one who takes a trivial or small scene about his precious male characters getting hurt and blows it out of proportion. The way you worded is exactly the same way he would. I think there is something fundamentally wrong with him and I don't want to see another person with the same attitude ranting about an anime that I like and might love. You are free and entitled to whatever opinion of course, I just wish you wouldn't ''coincidentally'' have the same stupid mindset he has. No hard feelings.
Wanting to backlash at a rant is one thing, but trying to silence it ("drop the act"--but it's not an act...?) is not the way to go about it.
Jan 10, 2014 10:06 PM

Jan 2011
not interesting, no need to even check the second episode

the ED is nice though
Jan 10, 2014 11:47 PM
Jan 2008
klaymore said:

the ED is nice though

It was much better than Mahou Sensou, in my opinion.
Jan 10, 2014 11:52 PM

Oct 2013
ZodiacBeast said:
klaymore said:

the ED is nice though

It was much better than Mahou Sensou, in my opinion.

Very true. Though I'm watching both anyway.
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

"Hates a river that only flows down." ~ 7thVoid
Jan 11, 2014 12:48 PM

Jun 2008
Hate the character design. So ugly.

But i love the ost! Especially the one used during the first battle with the rabbits.
Jan 11, 2014 12:53 PM

Nov 2013
Oh, a whole ugly harem just transferred in ...
Jan 11, 2014 5:08 PM
Dec 2011
First of, I watched this episode five or six times, I'm not sure myself. But anyhow,
this was a really good episode and I enjoyed every second of it.

The action scenes were great too. Loved the music and battle animations were good looking. This show also has a good sense of humor.

I have high expectations for this show. Don't disappoint me!
Jan 11, 2014 10:15 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
OP is great, ED is a bit weird, but i will probably warm up to it...
I learned I have a thing for a girl with a witch hat... Girl in a witch hat is pretty damn cute.

Wasn't going to pick up this show... but it looks to be a good choice that I did.
Jan 11, 2014 11:12 PM
Jun 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
While one should not judge a series from one episode, I really cannot see how this show will prove to be worth anything.

Typical harem setting. Average boring guy has most popular girl in the school defending him. Oh, of course she is a witch, and uses her magic to accomplish this, fighting off other female witches (one in this episode, five implied by the ending) to protect him. Of course we already know that these other witches, upon defeat, will fall in love with the MC despite him not really doing anything to deserve this.

And it isn't like a harem comic will automatically turn me off (though most do); ToLoveRu is so well drawn, and has such interesting characters that one can appreciate it, however this show doesn't have these benefits. Of course the main MC female has huge breasts, but the animation is so inferior that far from being attractive, all one can think when seeing them is: "god, the animators really are trying to stoke the moe feeling".

The only positive thing I can say about this animation is that yesterday I was tempted to buy the manga because I like magical themes (long boring story behind this), but upon seeing this first episode, this desire has been quenched. This show doesn't deserve any interest; thank you for saving me 30 bucks.

First out of the gate for this cour, first to be dropped (though I always watch 3 episodes no matter how what I think, but I really can't see this series saving itself).

Quality comment.
Jan 12, 2014 1:22 AM

May 2013
Vox_Populi said:
Quality comment.

Nonsense! This is NOT harem. Kagari's breast are big, but so is the rest of her body; she is not moe, rather than that she is cool.
Jan 12, 2014 1:33 AM
Jan 2008
mangamuscle said:
Vox_Populi said:
Quality comment.

Nonsense! This is NOT harem. Kagari's breast are big, but so is the rest of her body; she is not moe, rather than that she is cool.

I believe he was being sarcastic.

...or at least I hope he was.
Jan 12, 2014 2:30 AM

Aug 2008
The show kinda had a boring start for me but with he introduction of those 5 witches, i guess it will be more fun from then on. The ED is really adorable and an earworm. I wander if they were making a parody out of Salem Witch Trials.
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

Jan 12, 2014 6:06 AM

Jan 2008
*Looks at the current rank & looks at some of the comments*

Whoa, am I really enjoying this anime? Nice visuals, some OK fight scenes, great sense of humor, bland male MC but the female MC - I really like her. I'm very much looking forward to watching the next episode.
"You want to live, don't you...? So live! As long as you're alive, live!" ~ Takeshi Kuranari
Jan 12, 2014 7:42 AM

May 2009
sadfacelv said:

Not a harem, they are retarded villains like Team Rocket.
Jan 12, 2014 9:13 AM

Dec 2012
bastek66 said:
sadfacelv said:

Not a harem, they are retarded villains like Team Rocket.

LOL
Jan 12, 2014 8:11 PM
Jun 2013
ZodiacBeast said:
mangamuscle said:
Vox_Populi said:
Quality comment.

I believe he was being sarcastic.

...or at least I hope he was.

Lol, no.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2014

56 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 11:00 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2014

49 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 10:47 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2014

84 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 6:32 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2014

88 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 6:15 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2014

118 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 23, 12:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.