Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 28, 2013 8:34 AM
Apr 2013
Well that was executed much better than the VN. And no deus ex machina "Go back in time" that made no sense then and would make no sense now.
Dec 28, 2013 8:34 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
kind of an interesting way to make sort of a two-pronged adaptation with the way they did the bus explosion, wasn't expecting that but I think it was a nice addition

overall, while I wouldn't exactly call it a perfect adaptation, if you throw the unreasonable expectations to the wind for once it is still a great anime, and I'm glad we got to see an adaptation of it at least

now let's hope Ecstasy will work out with the somewhat random way they decided to go along with that
Dec 28, 2013 8:38 AM

Sep 2013
I'll only watch this when im not drunk cause im seriously drunk right now
Dec 28, 2013 8:41 AM

Dec 2013
Guess happy endings are the best, although in this case I think a bad end would have more of what I wanted ( Rin & Riki development )

Still wondering how they survived the explosion . Kengo and Masato falling off the van was funny though.

9/10
Bloop
Dec 28, 2013 8:41 AM
Jun 2013
Riki going back to his birth is even more confusing than it was in the VN, but that left aside, it's not only a good adaptation of the true end, it's even better than the original. The end feels like "cut", I don't know why, but it's whatever. Good job, JC Staff !
Dec 28, 2013 8:46 AM

May 2013
That was a nice ending. Good to see that everyone made it out alive. I'm gonna miss this anime.

Oct 2013
That was......something. A very good episode if you knew nothing about the VN. I kind of laughed when they were playing Song for Friends rather than be sad. Was a good episode overall and I liked the pictures specially masato and Komari. Too bad Riki and Rin did not kiss. Probably because there is still the EX routes. Dont know what else to say..
Apr 2013
No Riki and Rin kiss got me pretty steamed, but overall I can't really complain. From an anime only standpoint this is amazing. My little sister who's been watching w/ me says it's better than Clannad+AS, and while i wouldn't go that far, it definitely is something special. As a VN player, some of my favorite Refrain scenes near the end, like the hospital confession and the riki and rin true end pairing kinda bum me out, but really Refrain is a marvelous adaptation of a near perfect VN.

9/10
Dec 28, 2013 8:51 AM

Nov 2012
Pretty good final episode I think, didn't play the VN so I'm hearing some interesting things were left out, especially the confession parts. Anyway, so glad it didn't have a sad ending after all, so glad the whole gang, Kyousuke included can have fun together again. XD

Anyway was a pretty good series, enjoyed it more than the first LB, although the music from the first LB was better IMO. 8/10

Dec 28, 2013 8:51 AM

Oct 2013
Did no one feel that they used too many still shots in this episode?
Dec 28, 2013 8:55 AM

Sep 2012
-Riptide- said:

I did ;3

As for my rating for the show, I'm not going to give it a rating on my MAL.
It's just not something I could do, because the anime put me through all sorts of loops and hoops and had me evaluate a different story, one that's distant and animated on-screen rater than intimate, unabridged, and immersive in the VN.

Sometimes I feel like episodes are damn week and don't come close to my decent expectations. That's been most of the season.
But yeah, glad it's over.

My review will stay a 9/10 because I rated it optimistically, considering the themes presented in the show, but I don't think I could ever give the show a fair evaluation knowing that the source material was a more wholesome experience.
Vladz0rDec 28, 2013 8:59 AM
Dec 28, 2013 8:57 AM

Oct 2013
Vladz0r said:
-Riptide- said:

I did ;3

maybe they were saving budget for the EX route lol.
Dec 28, 2013 8:57 AM

Jul 2010
I'm probably the only one who thinks that Clannad AS wasn't that great... ok then.

I love Little Busters, seen they happy again is so precious to me, you don't know how much Little Busters means to me, I swear not!

All of them so cute, especially Kyousuke and Mio, aaa ;--; And Little Jumper Ver always made me teared up.

Little Busters are the best!
Dec 28, 2013 8:59 AM

Apr 2010
They can't be serious.
Dec 28, 2013 9:01 AM

Oct 2013
Nigga! This best be one of the cheesiest ending ever!
Toaki90Dec 28, 2013 9:07 AM
"Burn the heretics"
Dec 28, 2013 9:05 AM

Jul 2013
Well that was a great ending for the Little Busters. I watched, I laughed, and I cried throughout the run. Highlights in this episode; Everyone is saved, and the reward... a trip to the beach for the first time of the Little Busters. The Little Busters will still continue on until the end.

9/10 for the Refrain, JC Staff tried it's best to have an emotional run but there are some ups and downs on some episodes. Riki and Rin should at least have a kiss on one episode.

Up next: Little Busters! EX.

Dec 28, 2013 9:13 AM

Oct 2012
the ending was mediocre, but enjoy all the rest of the series
9/10

Dec 28, 2013 9:17 AM
Oct 2012
I loved Refrain for what it was. I haven't played the VN (blasphemy for most of you I'm sure) but I appreciated it for what it was. The only problem I had with Refrain was these last two episodes, where they kind of killed the emotional impact in favour of a happy ending. Considering how long the VN is (I know it's longer than Clannad) Refrain could have spared a couple more episodes to stretch out the more emotional parts since they rushed it at the end.

9.5/10
Dec 28, 2013 9:32 AM

Jul 2011
I still can't believe how good it turned out with only 13 episodes.
Of course this season had problems, but it's way better done than the first season.

As for the ending, the only part I didn't enjoy that much was when they brought up Riki's trauma. The choice per se is interesting, but this should have been hinted before, at least on the first season.

Anyway, 4/5 for the episode and 9/10 for the season. Too bad is hard to recommend this since the first season is kinda weak.

P.s.: Liked this more than Clannad AS. Judge me all you want for this. :p

"Like this too we met in a dirty and ugly world; Thank you for this miracle."
Dec 28, 2013 9:43 AM

Mar 2010
I liked LB: Refrain, I think I could appreciate the first season more now that I know what is going on. I'm giving refrain 8.5/10

The only thing I was wondering about was why they went to the beach in their school uniforms and not swimsuits.
Dec 28, 2013 9:47 AM

May 2008
i enjoyed the series 8/10 I probably liked it more than the first season and i think J.C Staff did a good job in my opinion i hope EX is good!!!!
Dec 28, 2013 9:48 AM

Sep 2008
Dec 28, 2013 9:54 AM
Dec 2013
KeyIsLove said:

They used Song for Friends again, which this time pissed me off because of how they can't seem to quit using it.

"Song for Friends" suggests a they-all-died ending, so...
Dec 28, 2013 9:59 AM

Feb 2011
Kyosuke just returned from the hospital and he was able to pull off a jump like that.

Legit , lol. I enjoyed the series but i don't know ... was expecting something else for the ending , it looked sooooo unrealistic but I guess that's how Key does things.

8/10
Dec 28, 2013 10:00 AM

Jul 2011
http://25.media.tumblr.com/862e65cd4747e45c7f143c9eb8d44fe9/tumblr_myj063W8gK1srjfc8o1_1280.jpg

Wow
Such divine presence
Very husbando
So in love
Wow
MiyamorisDec 28, 2013 10:07 AM

"Like this too we met in a dirty and ugly world; Thank you for this miracle."
Dec 28, 2013 10:04 AM

Jun 2013
That was a perfect ending to a near perfect adaption! i swear i was in tears nearly the entire episode! i just can't even! the beach was so amazing! :)
Dec 28, 2013 10:09 AM

Oct 2011
8/10 in the end and most certainly best series based on Key games (Clannad had some moments but MC was an idiot, Air was some kind of abomination and Angel Beats... ok not exactly game but it felt butchered).

In the end it worked better with less episodes - it would be too long with 20+ and in this case it was fine.
One thing I disliked was... I would say making Komari and Rin rooftop scene shorter than I remember in the game, it also felt way less emotional. And since it's my fav scene in Little Busters I'm kind of dissapoint but here was enough good things to keep me satisfied.
Dec 28, 2013 10:24 AM

Sep 2013
6/10 it went to fast for me honesty I expected riki and rin to share a kiss cause they were supposed to be the otp but watever this is the 1st key adaptation where there is no otp and kiss.
Dec 28, 2013 10:24 AM
Mar 2008
JC Staff did as well they could have with this but it still leaves me disappointed. Little Busters certainly is more of a journey is worth more than the end type of story.

Since the anime ended I think there's no way I can spoil anything anymore, but here's a minor rant from a VN reader like me.

Jun Maeda cut off his balls after Air. Kanon, Clannad, and Little Busters all suffer from these happy endings that undercut the emotional struggle and thematic presentation of the narrative. In Clannad's case, it's actually even more severe than it is here.

In the visual novel, as events progress you are first presented with the "Normal" ending. In the normal ending, Riki's narcolepsy kicks in after moving away from the bus and all his friends die in an explosion. Riki and Rin are left in the hospital depressed and there's a sense that all that Kyousuke gave Riki was for this moment and he would have to live life with everything his friends imparted on him. It made actual damn sense, and this should have been what the ending was about.

However, this is where Jun Maeda decides he has no freaking balls and gives you a choice in the visual novel like "it's not enough." This is where Riki somehow goes back to his birth and cures his narcolepsy in some sort of dream world, goes back in time and then redoes the moment after awakening from Kyousuke's dream world and saves the Little Busters. In the VN this is pretty much the WTF moment, what in the world are you thinking?!!!!? Yeah suffice to say, it was a poor choice.

At the very least, JC Staff did the decency of removing the deus ex machina feeling of the visual novel unlike the Clannad AS anime. So while it undercuts the emotional impact and themes of the story, it doesn't quite come off as badly. However, it's still annoying as hell and I really wish they had gone with a more BITTERsweet ending.
Dec 28, 2013 10:30 AM

Feb 2013
Happy ending yay!!!
"Currently playing the Game of of Life"
Poppin Pills is All We Know - Antidote
Dec 28, 2013 10:36 AM

Dec 2009
Great adaptation by JC Staff. It wasn't perfect but they did a terrific job. And I'm glad the Little Busters had a happy ending.

8/10 in my books.
Dec 28, 2013 10:37 AM

May 2012
It's finally over. I didn't enjoy this series. This is my opinion as someone who has never played the VN. The season started off strong. The visuals looked improved and I liked the direction the anime was going. But that was pretty much the only thing I liked about the show. The middle was confusing, and understandably so, but the ending of the season just didn't live up to expectations. The ending was just barely satisfying and had plot holes, but I'm not going to be pedantic about that since every show seems to have a couple plot holes here and there.

Was it worth it to sit through 25 awful episodes of season 1 to watch this season? No.
Did this anime live up to the VN fanboy overhype? Hells no.
Is this a masterpiece-tier anime show? To me, definitely not.

I think you'd have to be a fan of the VN to be a fan of this series. Perhaps as VN player you'd be able to pick out details of the show that anime only viewers would miss out, thereby adding to your enjoyment of the series? I don't know.

Final rating: 6/10.
Go ***k yourself.

Polite as usual,
lightXTC
Dec 28, 2013 10:39 AM

Dec 2012
Reckoner said:
JC Staff did as well they could have with this but it still leaves me disappointed. Little Busters certainly is more of a journey is worth more than the end type of story.

Since the anime ended I think there's no way I can spoil anything anymore, but here's a minor rant from a VN reader like me.

Jun Maeda cut off his balls after Air. Kanon, Clannad, and Little Busters all suffer from these happy endings that undercut the emotional struggle and thematic presentation of the narrative. In Clannad's case, it's actually even more severe than it is here.

In the visual novel, as events progress you are first presented with the "Normal" ending. In the normal ending, Riki's narcolepsy kicks in after moving away from the bus and all his friends die in an explosion. Riki and Rin are left in the hospital depressed and there's a sense that all that Kyousuke gave Riki was for this moment and he would have to live life with everything his friends imparted on him. It made actual damn sense, and this should have been what the ending was about.

However, this is where Jun Maeda decides he has no freaking balls and gives you a choice in the visual novel like "it's not enough." This is where Riki somehow goes back to his birth and cures his narcolepsy in some sort of dream world, goes back in time and then redoes the moment after awakening from Kyousuke's dream world and saves the Little Busters. In the VN this is pretty much the WTF moment, what in the world are you thinking?!!!!? Yeah suffice to say, it was a poor choice.

At the very least, JC Staff did the decency of removing the deus ex machina feeling of the visual novel unlike the Clannad AS anime. So while it undercuts the emotional impact and themes of the story, it doesn't quite come off as badly. However, it's still annoying as hell and I really wish they had gone with a more BITTERsweet ending.

I don't know why so many say LB's true ending goes against all of its themes. One of its themes is defiance, and in the case of the anime, over-coming tragedy with the help and presence of your friends. I mean, look at Haruka's route in particular. It's all about defiance. Kurugaya's route also shows defiance, because she stopped the world loop so she could continue loving Riki. Kud's showed defiance to reality in a way (Shut up, it works). But the biggest piece of defiance? The secret of the world itself. They created an entire world so they could stall time and make Riki and Rin strong enough to live on. That there, is some pretty crazy defiance. Defiance for the sake of their friendship. I'd say the choice between good and bad endings, is just a case of which themes the player decides is more important to them.
Dec 28, 2013 10:42 AM

Dec 2009
Reckoner said:
However, this is where Jun Maeda decides he has no freaking balls and gives you a choice in the visual novel like "it's not enough.".

I like to think that Maeda gives an ending to people that want the tragic ending (only Riki and Rin survive) and another ending to the people that want it happy (everyone survive). Same as Clannad, a happy ending to the Okazaki family and the tragic ending to Tomoya.
Linkark07Dec 28, 2013 10:55 AM
Dec 28, 2013 10:57 AM

Aug 2013
DeathyZA said:
6/10 it went to fast for me honesty I expected riki and rin to share a kiss cause they were supposed to be the otp but watever this is the 1st key adaptation where there is no otp and kiss.
It's like the VN, no hospital scene=no special scene. Sorta saw that coming since there are hardly any kisses in most key anime adaptions
Dec 28, 2013 11:00 AM
Sep 2013
Though all girls are really damn adorable, beautiful, hot and kawaii, I must say Mio in this final episode is a gem!
Her smile melted me. She's so freaking cute!!!!!!!!! I love you Mio!!!!!

For the hard work of JC Staff, beloved seiyuu-san and the amazing story telling. Refrain worth a 10/10. (While Season1 is 8/10 to me.)

Thank you JC Staff. Thank you Key, Thank you Jun Maeda, Thank you Orito Shijin, etc.
JimRaynorDec 28, 2013 11:12 AM
Dec 28, 2013 11:08 AM

Sep 2012
I didn't get a chance to catch up with the VN (Still have Rin2/Refrain left), but I am very pleased with how it all ended.
I will admit that ~Refrain~ didn't seem to hit as hard, but I think that is because I can't marathon an Anime while it is still airing. (I'll have more on that once I marathon both seasons)

Overall though, 9.75/10, I have never believed I would have yelled "GIVE ME KEY MAGIC!" at a screen until episode 12, and I am way pleased that we didn't even need (much of) it!

Looking forward to EX!

epic_joelle said:
... since there are hardly any kisses in most key anime adaptions

From playing the VN, I am very thankful of this.
Richdragon501Dec 28, 2013 11:14 AM
Dec 28, 2013 11:09 AM

Aug 2013
JimRaynor said:
Though all girls are really damn adorable, beautiful, hot and kawaii, I must say Mio in this final episode is a gem!
Her personality and precense changed by a lot in this last episode <3
Dec 28, 2013 11:13 AM
Sep 2013
epic_joelle said:
JimRaynor said:
Her personality and precense changed by a lot in this last episode <3

She is supposed to be that way. HNNNNNNNG!
Dec 28, 2013 11:20 AM
Sep 2013
lightXTC said:
It's finally over. I didn't enjoy this series. This is my opinion as someone who has never played the VN. The season started off strong. The visuals looked improved and I liked the direction the anime was going. But that was pretty much the only thing I liked about the show. The middle was confusing, and understandably so, but the ending of the season just didn't live up to expectations. The ending was just barely satisfying and had plot holes, but I'm not going to be pedantic about that since every show seems to have a couple plot holes here and there.

Was it worth it to sit through 25 awful episodes of season 1 to watch this season? No.
Did this anime live up to the VN fanboy overhype? Hells no.
Is this a masterpiece-tier anime show? To me, definitely not.

I think you'd have to be a fan of the VN to be a fan of this series. Perhaps as VN player you'd be able to pick out details of the show that anime only viewers would miss out, thereby adding to your enjoyment of the series? I don't know.

Final rating: 6/10.

Hehehe, that's only your opinion don't try to represent other anime-only viewers and VN readers.
Lots of people do enjoy it. You just lost all the interest at the first place and watch it by force. How will you enjoy a show by this act? Definitely not.

Which means this show isn't the type of yours, unnecessarily means this show isn't masterpiece. And the sales of original source VN and the praise is numerous that's why so many people around the world got their hype. That already told you something.

For instance, I don't enjoy Evangelion, or K-ON, doesn't mean both of the shows suck and cheap. You say?
JimRaynorDec 28, 2013 11:28 AM
Dec 28, 2013 11:24 AM

Sep 2013
Wouldve enjoyed this more if I wasn't drunk lol
Dec 28, 2013 11:27 AM

Oct 2012
Boo

Wanted them to stay dead, even tho they weren't dead?
Thought they created the world with their soul and such. doesn't really makes sense to me, wasn't the whole point of finishing a girl's arc was that her soul can finally leave and rest?

If someone can explain, that would be great.
Dec 28, 2013 11:28 AM

Nov 2008
and glad to see (though I expected them to push for it) the true end used ;3

And that almost kiss for Riki and Rin ~
Dec 28, 2013 11:36 AM
Sep 2013
SkyKyz said:
Boo

Wanted them to stay dead, even tho they weren't dead?
Thought they created the world with their soul and such. doesn't really makes sense to me, wasn't the whole point of finishing a girl's arc was that her soul can finally leave and rest?

If someone can explain, that would be great.

First of all, they're not dead at the first place. The world Kyousuke created and other supported is a illusion dream world where every member of LB share one single dream. Kyousuke's psychic power is so powerful because of his willing to save Riki & Rin that he brain spread out strong signal like rediffusion station. Other members somehow with relative strong connection (They are friends) responded the signal and connected together. Then they making a same dream, in this dream they're living a endless 1st semester. It's a dream world, so something weird will happen based on someone's will or nightmare which reflects from the things they care or afraid of.

Do you watched Inception? Kind of the concept.
Dec 28, 2013 11:48 AM
Jan 2012
10/10 best anime 2013
Dec 28, 2013 11:52 AM
Feb 2013
very very anti-climactic way to end it. All the things they left out, made the ending so much less interesting and then of course they left out the pieces of dialogue that made this ending make sense.

But hey at least they are consistent, i mean they ripped all the romance out of every heroine route, might as well keep it that way till the very end right? then why have rin and riki in the class room scene at all when that didnt even happen in the first play around and only happens if you "propose to her" in the hospital.

Oh well.
Dec 28, 2013 11:53 AM
Sep 2013
SleepingEntity said:
A good, fitting end to this series. I swear the beginning of the episode is more complicated than it needed to be, but whatever.

Can't believe they didn't play "Boys Don't Cry" when Kyoysuke came down. A lot less feelsy than the VN, but that's okay.

Ending sequence was fucking amazing. Dat "Little Busters Jumper Ver." and the montage was really nice (much better than the VN one). I still don't get why season 1 ED showed them leaving at dawn when this was clearly midday, but I suppose they have their reasons.

Also, Mio being kawaii as fuck. She's pretty handy with that camera too. Masato being a nice guy at the end too, awwwww.

Stark700 said:
http://i.imgur.com/835RDFz.png
Beautiful.

I cried.

Dat Komari. O_O
I guess she's one of those people who are normally derp but super photogenic when duty calls. Kurugaya is Kurugaya. 'Nuff said.

So, overall:
Lots of ups and downs in this series. We've been through flamewars, VN/anime rage and the like, but I really think at the end of it this VN is adapted pretty well. Of course its not perfect, but hey, the VN isn't leaving anywhere. This anime was funny, got the feels across, and I really liked it.

I'd give it 8.5 - 9 outta 10.

As a side note, how does everyone think Refrain ranks up against other anime this season? From what I'm watching, Refrain seems like it only loses to the likes of White Album 2 and Nagi no Asukara (debatable). Unless there's another really good series airing right now that I'm not aware of, Refrain seems to be one of the best of Fall 2013.

Yes~~!!!!! Mio is definitely a gem in this episode! Just so HNNNNNNNNNG!
Dec 28, 2013 11:59 AM
Sep 2013
Draakisback said:
very very anti-climactic way to end it. All the things they left out, made the ending so much less interesting and then of course they left out the pieces of dialogue that made this ending make sense.

But hey at least they are consistent, i mean they ripped all the romance out of every heroine route, might as well keep it that way till the very end right? then why have rin and riki in the class room scene at all when that didnt even happen in the first play around and only happens if you "propose to her" in the hospital.

Oh well.

Didn't you remember when you first clear Refrain route, you only got normal Refrain End. The "propose to her" ended up a negative from Riki himself by replying to Rin "No, it's not a proposal."
Then in real world they treated like brother and sister, and the same class room scene.
Only when you clear Refrain twice then the option will be provided and players can choose "Yes" to Rin and ending up Rin true end.

See? It's also optional like Kurugaya TE2. So is that so important to put that scene into anime? No.

Some VN readers' memories clearly got fuzzy.
Dec 28, 2013 12:05 PM
Apr 2013
And I am guessing deus ex machina endings that come out of nowhere aren't anticlimactic either.
Dec 28, 2013 12:08 PM

Oct 2009
Ehhhhhhh?
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it likely Little Busters Refrain will reach top 5 in MAL? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aversa - Oct 3, 2013

308 by polarbeararmy »»
Apr 16, 8:53 AM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2013

351 by FUNNYDOGE »»
Apr 13, 12:16 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2013

391 by Remurst »»
Apr 9, 2:48 AM

» How good?

kam1n0 - Dec 12, 2021

21 by Donkunsan »»
Apr 2, 2023 3:39 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Sycheras - Nov 9, 2013

371 by kusanagi_ZFG »»
Feb 22, 2023 10:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.