Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'High Score Girl' Receives Anime Adaptation

New
Dec 21, 2013 9:51 AM

Nov 2007
It was announced that the manga "High Score Girl" will get an anime adaptation. Details of the anime will be announced at a later time.

Synopsis
The year is 1991 and 6th grader Yaguchi Haruo only has video games to live for. He's not popular in school and he's neither handsome, funny, nice, nor even friendly. The only thing he has going for him is that he is good at video games. One day at the local arcade, he plays Oono Akira, a fellow classmate but who's popular, smart, pretty, and a rich girl that absolutely destroys him at Street Fighter II. Not only does he lose to her 30 times in a row, he can’t beat her at any game. Haruo can't seem to shake Akira off as she follows him from arcade to arcade everyday after school and beats him every time. As weird as it sounds, the odd couple begins a strange bond and friendship. (Source: MangaUpdates)

The manga has been serialized in Big Gangan since October 25, 2010. Recently, mangaka Rensuke Oshikiri also had his manga "Pupipo!" adapted to anime.

Source: Scan of the announcement

Story by AbZeroNow

High Score Girl on MAL
myanimelistllcMay 22, 2016 11:31 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Dec 21, 2013 10:20 AM

Oct 2011
Oshikiri-san scores another anime adaptation. I might also watch this if I'll enjoy Pupipo!
Dec 21, 2013 10:22 AM
Jul 2012
Haha. The synopsis looks funny. Will definitely watch the show.
Dec 21, 2013 10:25 AM
Mar 2010
I love Pupipo so I think I'll like this as well!
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Dec 21, 2013 10:31 AM

Feb 2011
Doesn't sound too bad :D Gonna try.
Dec 21, 2013 10:31 AM

Oct 2012
I'll definitely give this a go :3
Dec 21, 2013 10:41 AM

Nov 2011
Lol, dat synopsis. I think I read one chapter of this before awhile ago too.
Dec 21, 2013 11:58 AM

Dec 2008
Sounds interesting to say the least. Already know this is going to be a "watch Anime then have to go read the Manga right after' sort of thing.
Dec 21, 2013 1:22 PM

Oct 2007
Time for another story where a haughty angry ojou-sama destroys some hapless dude at the one thing he's supposed to be good at and makes him love her in the process. Oh Japan.....

I'm guessing Saori Hayami, Kana Hanazawa or Mamiko Noto for the Kuroneko clone.
Dec 21, 2013 1:45 PM

Jun 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Time for another story where a haughty angry ojou-sama destroys some hapless dude at the one thing he's supposed to be good at and makes him love her in the process. Oh Japan.....

Sounds cliche as hell, but problem is, it's working as a comedy, and I don't see a romance tag anywhere.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Dec 21, 2013 1:54 PM

Nov 2008
Kaioshin_Sama said:

It's not a romance, it's a comedy with an emphasis on friendship.

Dec 21, 2013 3:25 PM

Sep 2013
Hoppy said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

It's a romance, I've read the manga a little.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Dec 21, 2013 3:33 PM

Oct 2012
YES. I saw the manga a while back but translations are slow so I'll look forward to this ^_^

Dec 21, 2013 5:12 PM

Aug 2013
Sounds interesting. I'll probably watch it :-)
Dec 21, 2013 5:27 PM

Aug 2013
Oooh 1991? I wonder if it's also 90s art.

PTW.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Dec 21, 2013 6:22 PM

May 2013
From the synopsis, I think this should be a good one. A girl beating a guy at video games. Even I can't accept that.
Dec 21, 2013 7:00 PM

Nov 2008
the synopsis doesn't sound half bad but i don't like the character design.
Dec 21, 2013 7:39 PM

Oct 2007
Shiratori99 said:
Hoppy said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Is that like the kind of romance that's mutual and healthy or the love-hate kind?
Dec 21, 2013 7:48 PM

Sep 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Yup.
Dec 21, 2013 9:20 PM

Sep 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Shiratori99 said:
Hoppy said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Is that like the kind of romance that's mutual and healthy or the love-hate kind?

Love-hate, they're rivals after all. Well, the setting is pretty cliche except for the fact it's set in 1991 (when the author was in 6th grade himself lol) and they are elementary schoolers. But I think especially the latter makes it very interesting. Something like love being forced upon a boy who thinks girls have cooties, it's refreshing.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Dec 22, 2013 12:12 AM

Aug 2013
My main problem with this kind of story is the idea that the female lead can just do whatever the heck she want without any backlash, which is really annoying to say the least. The story often allows her to be a complete dickwad to the male lead (and other characters) for so long as possible and then (usually near the end of main plot) gives her some sob story or some conveniently-written twist to redeem her of her irritating attitudes. Even worse though, the male lead often being reduced into a pathetic simpleton who can never question nor fight back. some people might be able to just laugh it off and call her cute or adorable. Unfortunately it's not the case for me.

It's precisely because of this reason that i was having hard time enjoying some romcom shows such as Toradora and ZnT
Dec 22, 2013 4:07 AM

Jun 2013
Ive got a question. Does anyone know the name of a manga that has a somewhat similar premise and art style to hi score girl? It about a guy and his girlfriend. The guy is kind of an otaku and loves playing games, the girl friend actually does not mind and she often comes over to play with him. The art style is kind of like hi score girl meets dark and gloomy.
Dec 22, 2013 4:20 AM
Jul 2018
I just read chapter 1 of the manga. what the "H'?
now it got anime adaptation. T.T I have a bit of mixed feeling now.
Dec 22, 2013 7:25 AM

Sep 2013
The art reminds me of horror manga, I can't stop thinking someone's gonna die horribly at any given moment.
Dec 22, 2013 8:07 AM

Oct 2007
krownklown said:
Ive got a question. Does anyone know the name of a manga that has a somewhat similar premise and art style to hi score girl? It about a guy and his girlfriend. The guy is kind of an otaku and loves playing games, the girl friend actually does not mind and she often comes over to play with him. The art style is kind of like hi score girl meets dark and gloomy.

I think you're thinking of Houkago Play.
Dec 22, 2013 8:49 AM

Sep 2012
Shiratori99 said:
Something like love being forced upon a boy who thinks girls have cooties, it's refreshing.

Dec 22, 2013 1:09 PM

Jun 2008
Oh god.

This just hit me in the right spots. As far as I'm concerned, this is News of the Year material.

I bet the girl picked Guile in WW and did the magic throw glitch on the boy.
Dec 22, 2013 9:10 PM

Jun 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
krownklown said:

I think you're thinking of Houkago Play.

yup thats it, thanks.
Dec 23, 2013 3:10 AM
May 2012
Oh this Manga is on my plan to read, it's nice to know that it will have an Anime adaption.

I don't like the Manga's art but hey it looks fun so I'll watch it :3
Dec 24, 2013 5:46 AM
Jan 2013
About time.
Dec 24, 2013 10:48 AM

Mar 2013
I want some trailers because I'm really curious of the art that they're going to proceed with.
Dec 24, 2013 6:46 PM

Feb 2013
I really liked the 1 chapter I've read of it in English a long time ago, but I couldn't find any more of it translated. I'm glad it's getting an anime, it was really funny! I love all the street fighter references it has.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

96 by rikazkhan »»
2 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
8 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

21 by VanishingKira »»
Yesterday, 2:11 PM

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Apr 22, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 22, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.