Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 21, 2013 3:15 AM

Dec 2012
Just an earnest question. The movie ties things up similarly to how Kyon inspired Haruhi as a child. Also Kurisu dealt with experiencing new worlds like Kyon did, and had to try to fix it to bring it back to the original world. I mean you could honestly call it The Disappearance of Okabe Rintarou.

What do you guys think?
Dec 21, 2013 7:40 AM

Apr 2010
They even used the exact phrase "disappearance of Okabe Rintarou" at one point... lol
Dec 21, 2013 7:44 AM

Apr 2013
yes
an egomaniac and a fool

Dec 21, 2013 7:47 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
yeah it's ridiculously similar to Disappearance, dunno if I'd call it a rip-off though
Dec 21, 2013 11:56 AM
Jul 2012
All of you are dumb. Calling it a 'rip-off' is a huge stretch, there are so many differences between the movies, they're not even similar.
Dec 22, 2013 12:24 PM

Sep 2007
I wouldn't call it a rip-off since it builds on the steins gate universe that was built in the tv series that came out before the haruhi movie came out. They are similar on several points but in my opinion it doesn't really feel like a rip-off. One strong aspect is the fact that the consequences of altering the past is more up front in the steins gate universe. But then again I'm a huge fan of steins gate and it's movie so I'm a bit biased, though similarity doesn't really mean that it's a rip off.
Dec 22, 2013 9:02 PM

Aug 2013
Well, I think that the fact that the universe is so much different and also the fact that the romance is a huge factor in the Steins;Gate movie make them really different. Also, the humor is not of the same kind. Haruhi turn around the occult stuff humour and Kyon cynical narration, and Steins;Gate series focus around the Otaku world. You could say that they both use time travel, but it's a fairly common concept in the cinematography, so it's normal to see similarities between the two movies.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 2, 2014 11:38 PM

Oct 2013
How dare you compare Steins Gate to Haruhi. Haruhi is the reason I almost stopped watching anime all together. And no, endless eight isnt the reason I dislike it so much. Haruhi is the worst character I have ever witnessed. Haruhi didnt even disappear.

The movie was ripping off itself if anything. The first kiss was talked about in one of Okarin's time leaps. He didnt even remember much about it.

Apr 3, 2014 11:19 PM

Jun 2009
I think this time/disappearance of Main Characters theme has become a bit cliche. Haruhi, higurashi, you name it, and FFXIII-2 had some of this as well. It's not a bad plot focus, but when you start to see so many of it floating around..
Apr 3, 2014 11:31 PM

Nov 2013
*Gasps
(fanboy answer) How can you even ask this question!?? Blasphemy!

In all seriousness though, both animes were similar so you can't really compare the movies only. Like the Endless Eight arc and the part when Okabe has to keep going back in time to save a certain someone and he keeps seeing the same things over and over again like Kyon did.

Not too much you can do with a plot revolving around time travel except traveling through time so it's not fair to call it a ripoff.
Apr 5, 2014 12:36 PM
Dec 2013
Yeah, but i enjoyed it and that's all that matters.
Apr 16, 2014 12:35 PM

Aug 2009
Two series with time travel as the theme have similar parts.....ok.
How about looking what its series is about and why everything happens?

lnn8v6 said:
I think this time/disappearance of Main Characters theme has become a bit cliche. Haruhi, higurashi, you name it, and FFXIII-2 had some of this as well. It's not a bad plot focus, but when you start to see so many of it floating around..
It is far from cliche.

bestpsychosean said:
How dare you compare Steins Gate to Haruhi. Haruhi is the reason I almost stopped watching anime all together. And no, endless eight isnt the reason I dislike it so much. Haruhi is the worst character I have ever witnessed. Haruhi didnt even disappear.

The movie was ripping off itself if anything. The first kiss was talked about in one of Okarin's time leaps. He didnt even remember much about it.
Haruhi is a very good series and character though.
And pretty sure that that kiss you are talking about was from Moeka.
Apr 18, 2014 1:35 AM
Jan 2009
Nothing remotely close to a "rip-off"... But yeah, I definitely thought of the Disappearance movie when I was watching this one. It has a few of the same elements, but it's much more of a direct thematic followup to the Steins;Gate anime. My only real criticism was that it was *too* similar in tone to the anime. (Well, that and the sort of abrupt ending.)

ssjokg said:

...Holy crap. How did I not realize that until now? I guess I didn't even think of it as a "kiss", given the context, but that makes much more sense now (and why Okabe says it wasn't very good). Yet another great callback done in the original series. (I caught a few others.)
Pie is delicious.

Jul 11, 2015 11:06 AM
Jul 2011
Nope, not at all. In fact, both the Steins Gate and Suzumiya Haruhi movies borrowed heavily from a popular '80s anime series, Kimagure Orange Road, including what the OP is talking about.

Many users here might be too young to remember it, but the last few episodes of Kimagure Orange Road had a lot of similarities to both the Steins Gate and Suzumiya Haruhi movies, including the protagonist Kyosuke (who happens to be an esper) going back in time, meeting a younger version of the female lead and inspiring her without even realizing it, and of course the accidental mishaps his time-traveling causes along the way, and how he needs to fix things back to normal.

Also, it's worth noting that the director of the Haruhi Suzumiya movie himself had previously worked as a unit director on the last Kimagure Orange Road movie, so he was obviously very familiar with the series.

Either way, Steins Gate and Haruhi fans should both check out Kimagure Orange Road. It's a great timeless classic, one that inspired countless anime over the decades.
Jagged_85Jul 11, 2015 11:34 AM
Mar 30, 2016 7:10 PM

Oct 2010
"If something can be remembered, it can come back."

I already had Kimagure Orange Road in my queue but did not know it had supernatural or sci-fi elements in it. Greeeeat. :P
Jun 15, 2016 6:41 AM
Dec 2014
Steins Gate is originally a VN that was made in 2009. So it predates the movie you're talking about.
Jun 15, 2016 6:46 AM
Dec 2014
Jagged_85 said:
Nope, not at all. In fact, both the Steins Gate and Suzumiya Haruhi movies borrowed heavily from a popular '80s anime series, Kimagure Orange Road, including what the OP is talking about.

Many users here might be too young to remember it, but the last few episodes of Kimagure Orange Road had a lot of similarities to both the Steins Gate and Suzumiya Haruhi movies, including the protagonist Kyosuke (who happens to be an esper) going back in time, meeting a younger version of the female lead and inspiring her without even realizing it, and of course the accidental mishaps his time-traveling causes along the way, and how he needs to fix things back to normal.

Also, it's worth noting that the director of the Haruhi Suzumiya movie himself had previously worked as a unit director on the last Kimagure Orange Road movie, so he was obviously very familiar with the series.

Either way, Steins Gate and Haruhi fans should both check out Kimagure Orange Road. It's a great timeless classic, one that inspired countless anime over the decades.

Thanks for the recommendation. Tagged. Will watch it next month I think. Always looking for more classics.
Nov 28, 2016 7:00 PM

Jan 2010
"Steins Gate is originally a VN that was made in 2009. So it predates the movie you're talking about."
Steins;Gate : Fuka Ryouiki no Déjà vu wasn't made in 2009
Final Fantasy VII is a shitty game.
Apr 8, 2017 6:36 PM

May 2016
V2Blast said:
Nothing remotely close to a "rip-off"... But yeah, I definitely thought of the Disappearance movie when I was watching this one. It has a few of the same elements, but it's much more of a direct thematic followup to the Steins;Gate anime. My only real criticism was that it was *too* similar in tone to the anime. (Well, that and the sort of abrupt ending.)

ssjokg said:

...Holy crap. How did I not realize that until now? I guess I didn't even think of it as a "kiss", given the context, but that makes much more sense now (and why Okabe says it wasn't very good). Yet another great callback done in the original series. (I caught a few others.)
ssjokg said:

lnn8v6 said:
It is far from cliche.

bestpsychosean said:

What? Moeka kissed Okabe? When?
Apr 9, 2017 4:42 AM

Aug 2009
SuzuMine-chan said:
Maybe I worded that wrong.

Okabe kissed Moeka to keep her from shouting.
Apr 9, 2017 5:00 AM

May 2016
ssjokg said:
SuzuMine-chan said:

Ah, yes! I remember! So its true the kiss he talked about was from Moeka and not from Kurisu (movie).
Apr 9, 2017 5:04 AM

Aug 2009
SuzuMine-chan said:
ssjokg said:

Ah, yes! I remember! So its true the kiss he talked about was from Moeka and not from Kurisu (movie).
The movie's canonicity is debatable.

But yeah, even if the movie is canon, the kiss Okabe refers to is from Moeka.
Apr 18, 2017 11:05 AM

Feb 2016
ssjokg said:
SuzuMine-chan said:
The movie's canonicity is debatable.

But yeah, even if the movie is canon, the kiss Okabe refers to is from Moeka.

Actually no. The first kiss of Okabe is with Mayuri as a joke when they were kids. Don't remember if the anime also mentioned it, but it's definitely in the VN.

The movie isn't cannon, but anyway, I wouldn't say Haruhi and S;G movies are that similar, they might contain some common time-travel tropes, but saying Deja Vu is a ripoff is too far.
Nov 13, 2017 3:08 AM

Apr 2015
it doesn't matter tho.

If I want to recommend an anime to normies I would choose Steins;Gate series rather than Suzumiya Haruhi. The reason is a high school fantasy girl god with full moe moe anime is harder to advertise than a mad scientist sci-fi anime.

not like I don't like Suzumiya but, the theme is just not for everybody. Steins:gate theme is really acceptable for normies.
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Nov 30, 2017 3:06 AM
Oct 2016
ssjokg said:

lnn8v6 said:
It is far from cliche.

bestpsychosean said:

Are you a moron or something. He didn't kiss Moeka. He bit off her wrists. Try to see it one more time
Apr 12, 2020 10:15 PM

Aug 2017
Yeah ripoff.

Haruhi is sexier than Christina though.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryouiki no Déjà vu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2013

430 by LotteGiants »»
Mar 20, 2:45 AM

» Reason for kurisu's change of dress while meeting the younger okabe in the steins gate movie

Raajdeep - Jul 30, 2023

4 by Raajdeep »»
Jan 18, 6:00 PM

» Canon?

mechian - Nov 7, 2013

11 by SciADV_Maniac »»
Sep 21, 2023 6:40 AM

» Should i watch this?

BeanieWaferz - May 29, 2023

38 by Lemonov »»
Aug 26, 2023 10:46 AM

» Couldn't understand a scene

Raajdeep - Jul 30, 2023

14 by PeeBeeBoi »»
Aug 1, 2023 8:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.