Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Dec 21, 2013 3:10 PM

Aug 2013
We're gonna need a bigger shark...

But seriously. This show will either be the worst or the greatest show in a while. I also think that at this point we are still incapable of making final judgements. I think that the first several episodes showed that the writers are capable of writing a fairly well put together plot, so for now I'll just have to have faith that they know where they're taking us. What is really going on? Jouji is suspicious, but so was that other manager guy during the King Torture arc and he didn't turn out to be the villain either (even if he did get the girls caught).

People have been complaining about the animation quality this episode, but I think that the quality and style were actually intentional. It amplifies the sentai cheese factor quite a bit.
Dec 21, 2013 3:27 PM

Dec 2012
Re: Redfoxoffire

For once, however, he is right - nothing has changed from the beginning except the setting and you don't need to be a psychic seeing into the future, but actually to have watched the anime so far - Hazama is still the wannabe hero as in the first 6 episodes, except that the current setting allows him more gratification than his real life - before and after adopting Samurai Flamenco's legacy. Sounds familiar?

No one knows what exactly the current setting is, though, and subsequently, chewing over the same shit again for 4 episodes is not only pointless, it's worthless - the "lie" won't be over till it's over in the anime, and when it does, it's more logical to count the chickens then.

In the mean time, the henshin-sentai-tokusatsu galore is hilarious by itself - for those who know the ropes and the tropes of the genre - and, personally, I think it has a legit meaning to the characters developments - a male model, music idols, an action hero, possibly a manager or two from the showbiz, and a bunch of suspiciously ordinary characters, have been or will be tapping the veins of their childhood dreams and beloved heroes. They are no NEETs, most of them have really successful careers, yet they jump into the opportunity Hazama gave them - against his intention and will most of the time :) Obnoxious teenagers and screwing up with the schedule for depositing trash should be rarely the sources for playing a vigilante. Or maybe they aren't?

People leaving a show is a criterion of quality as the next flying fuck. Find your better ones and be happy with them. The way I see it, people tend to overreact when a show walks out of the frame they have set it within, but readily forget about the possibility that it could be not the show's fault for misleading them and that Your Mileage May Vary for every one of us when it comes to presetting frames and expectations.

Unfortunately, your last sentence is a pretty good example of this and it's UGLY.
zellamiDec 21, 2013 3:32 PM
Dec 21, 2013 5:28 PM
Oct 2013
StopDropAndBowl said:
mbdsquad said:
Average score will actually be closer to 8 than 5.

You know that rule, that 90% of any art within a genre is crap? Well, that goes both ways. 90% of the audience has crap taste.

I'll say that the haters are probably people who "grew up" too fast. They don't know how to have fun with a show.

I can criticize the anime too. I don't have it at a 10, I have it as an 8. Only, I don't spend my time criticizing it for not being something it never was and never was supposed to be. When your main critique is: "This show isn't a Batman-style superhero show" well, that's a pretty intellectually lazy critique. It was never supposed to BE a Batman-style superhero show. I might as well say Citizen Kane is a bad movie because it's not a lighthearted romantic comedy. Or that Big Lebowski isn't a good movie because it's not a dark, brooding drama with strong elements of fatalistic tragedy.

That's not objective criticism, that's the most subjective BS criticism possible. That's saying: "I prefer this type of show, so these other types are BAD!" Well, it's all fine and dandy if you don't like one type of story, but that doesn't make that type of story bad.

Average is the word literally next to the score of 5 in MAL. Go and see it for yourself. And for correction following your logic, the average score is 7.33, not 8 and expect some changes in the future.

Did I ever said it was supposed to be a "Batman-style" series? Are you actually arguing with me this whole time or do you simply have a short-term memory and all information in your head goes wishy-washy? All those 7 episodes buildup went down the drain in just few episodes. But the lamest thing ever is how a goddamn 22 episodial anime, so much leeway to make it right, failed it not once, not twice, but three times in executing it right.

If you cannot give me any reference on that 90% rules of yours, then that's nothing more than a honey-smeared words to make youra arguments look better.

Are you sure even sure "hater" is my designated faction? Grew fast enough is bullshit. Are you telling me I should keep a mentality of a 12 years old just to cope animes while my body is already at its 20s? If that's the case for us (which I keep claiming I don't even belong with), then the opposite must be true to you, since you're the one who proposed it - which is people like you "grow too slow" that every show to you is fun.

It's just that I saw tons of anime from the 90's up to the 21st century that I can tell over a period of time which anime is bad, average or good. I'm not a hardcore critic, I'm just a normal guy with an average taste with an average outlook and perspective on what's good.

And what do you expect from the show - nice poster, intriguing title, tag as ACTION, of course people would flock and see what it's inside only to be disappointed. I guess the saying the better the trailer and poster, the worse the content would be, which I deem true in this case.

Just like Redfoxoffire said, we don't care whether this show is Batman, Superman, Red-Riding Hood or even Mr. Bean, but hell again it's like Powerpuff Girls when you mix everything nice and expect something nice to pop out. Sure if it started the way it's doing things right now maybe I would give this an 8, but they didn't. It's like watching The Avengers and suddenly Power Rangers came out, started fusing like Voltes V and saves the day. It makes April Fool's Day a joke.
Dec 21, 2013 6:03 PM
Nov 2012
Seems like people's reaction to this show is quite mixed but for me, this is just awful. This is the show that started out as having, in my opinion, the most potential of any new show this season and now it's just derivative drivel.

This coupled with the finale of Galilei Donna are making this the worst overall season for new anime in a while for me. I'll give it a few more episodes but I might end up dropping this once next season's shows come out.
Dec 21, 2013 6:18 PM

Jul 2011
That's it, this could be the redeeming episode but they decide to make things even more dumb with no explanation...

It makes me sad that i had to lower my score to 5 when it was 9 until episode seven....

:(
Dec 21, 2013 6:34 PM

Jan 2011
We power rangers now.
[center]
Dec 21, 2013 6:36 PM

Mar 2008
Sad to see that even in this forum most people write PR instead of Super Sentai. If not even the anime fans know these things...

I blame the internet. Too easy nowadays. It used to be that you had to put some effort into being a fan and you would at least know the basics. I bet most couldn't even get the references even the ones that werent 100% toku related, like the mecha. Shit, I sound like one of those old VHS widows now.

So, it went from a KR parody to a SS parody. The episode wasn't very interesting. I do hope that in the end the plot is really good, because after ep 7 things just aren't as entertaining, except for the king Torture moments.

Oh yeah, adn we already have a samurai sentai. And it was pretty awesome.Don't ruin, it Masayoshi.
Dec 21, 2013 7:46 PM

May 2009
Aww man, when they all came out Red...
Dec 21, 2013 9:02 PM

Mar 2010
m4rc0 said:
So, it went from a KR parody to a SS parody. The episode wasn't very interesting. I do hope that in the end the plot is really good, because after ep 7 things just aren't as entertaining, except for the king Torture moments.
I will be disappointed if the anime doesn't turn into Ultraman parody after this.
Dec 21, 2013 9:52 PM

Mar 2012
Redfoxoffire said:

No, I think what's being misunderstood is your insistence that this shit is actually good.

Yes, that is being misunderstood. I am the fucking story guru. As objective as any critique can be (and that isn't very much), I hone in on that shit and present it how it is. Subjectivity is the name of the game here, but damn it all if I'm not gonna say it how I see it. I see the quality in the show for being simultaneously unpredictable, yet very seamless. Simultaneously silly, yet surprisingly introspective. Tongue and cheek, yet very earnest. The critiques I see are variations of "I wanted Kick-Ass the anime." or "Fucking power rangers are gay!"

That's all well and fine if you feel that way, but damn it all, that's a very mediocre critique.

People aren't mad at this for being something they didn't want it to be, but for turning into something it never was. And for the record, what it was before was a lot better.

And here we are at objectivity. This show WAS NEVER realistic. It was NEVER a Batman style show either. It was always an earnest, silly examination of a sentai-loving wannabe-hero. And the tone has not changed. It just hasn't. The setting changed, the conflicts changed (slightly), but the TONE has been very consistent except in specific parts where it is appropriately dark, like the reveal of the villain and the shockingly astute critical destruction of the less-noble wannabe hero (Flamenco Diamond).

That's telling, and if all you have to say in response is that they have "shit taste," I feel sorry for the people who actually have to live with you.
I didn't say anyone specifically has crap taste. I said that appealing to the majority on the artistic value of a story is like saying Britney Spears is clearly the superior musician to Beethoven because she sells more albums than he does. Also, if you call this show shit, you're pretty much saying that the people who like it have shit taste. I'm just dispensing with the pretending and coming right out: my taste is better.
Let's go bowling.
Dec 21, 2013 10:01 PM

Mar 2012
mbdsquad said:
All those 7 episodes buildup went down the drain in just few episodes.

That's an entirely subjective opinion, with (in my opinion) no legitimate basis. It was building up toward this exact thing, and the escalation of conflict has been fantastic (albeit flawed in some minor ways).

Are you sure even sure "hater" is my designated faction? Grew fast enough is bullshit. Are you telling me I should keep a mentality of a 12 years old just to cope animes while my body is already at its 20s? If that's the case for us (which I keep claiming I don't even belong with), then the opposite must be true to you, since you're the one who proposed it - which is people like you "grow too slow" that every show to you is fun.

Did I call you a hater? Or did I say that the haters were probably a specific type of person? And you misunderstood my use of the word "grew up". I put in quotes for a reason. The type of person who cannot have fun with this show is probably, in my opinion, the type of person that thinks of themselves as "all grown up" and very mature in their viewing habit. They are most likely flawed in that idea of what being grown up entails. Hence the show's central theme: a celebration of youthful idealism. If you're watching it in a pessimistic mode, you'll probably not like (or understand) the exuberant optimism. If you watch it as it is meant to be watched, and take it for what it is meant to be, you'll see the minor flaws, but you'll also see the whole picture and the great successes. And then you can claim to have some objectivity in your opinion. Until then, it's just a series misinformed falsehoods being tossed about in some vain attempt to justify a fundamental misunderstanding of storytelling in general.

Trust your story-telling guru. I am here for a reason.
Let's go bowling.
Dec 21, 2013 10:13 PM

Dec 2012
This show is losing me story wise, the show started slice of life like and is gradually getting more fantasy as it goes along :s

I do want to see some more development involving Gotou though
Dec 21, 2013 10:16 PM

May 2012
0250 lolwut

1/10. We got trolled hard.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Dec 21, 2013 10:51 PM
Apr 2011
This show was fantastic up until the 7th episode threw a wrench in the whole street-hero thing.
Since then it's been a little off the walls and lacking. There were some fantastic lines with King Torture, but this episode was just too much.

Hoping they can calm it back down in the next episode, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.
Dec 22, 2013 1:53 AM

Mar 2010
I was laughing hard. The mecha combination looks like Voltes V.
Dec 22, 2013 2:55 AM

Nov 2011
Man, I get more entertainment from the comments of this episode than the episode itself.

I don't know where this series is heading but I gonna follow it.

Dec 22, 2013 3:40 AM
Feb 2010
I think that the flow of SF has a bit of an issue. The previous arc just ended, and then somehow unresolved issues were just swept by... there should have been some conclusion about the aftermaths of some issues (such as the revelation of Kazama, and what happened to the SF girls).

And lol at the "Save the world against aliens" theme. Looks very childish and unoriginal, especially what with the giant robot vs giant alien ==??
Dec 22, 2013 6:31 AM

Jan 2011
Nice nostalgia, but i didnt expact a show like this. the first eps were so great, so japanese kickass. but now its a bizarr run into a typical hero squad show, saving the world from crazy villains and everything that would fit to a 7 year old audience (except the few violent parts). Besides the little nostalgia i dont feel anything any more while watching the eps. Maybe the conclusion of the series with Goto on the focus (i hope so) will be again more interesting. but that middle part? no … Outbreak Company does this reference stuff within a nice story way better and has additionaly the better animation style.
Dec 22, 2013 6:43 AM

Jun 2013
"It's a lie. But it was a beautiful lie."

- manglobe , Omori Takahiro-san , Samumenco production team.

NUFF SAID.
"Children of Japan. And those who were once children. Listen! This is not a dream. This is not fiction. In reality, your superheroes were always fighting. To teach viewers courage and the meaning of justice! No matter how many enemies there are. No matter how strong evil is. Just remember. Does any another country have so many heroes? Has any another country been protected by multiple superheroes? Stand with me, friends! Remember when you used to watch your superheroes!
Once you may have given up this dream. But today, you can be a hero!"

- Kaname Jouji , Red Axe

Dec 22, 2013 9:49 AM

Aug 2013
People need to realize that things in this story have escalated quickly but consistently, and that we are still as many episodes away from the end of the series as we are from the first episode. A lot can still happen. I don't expect this whole "From Beyond" thing to last more than 1-2 more episodes at the pace they're keeping. Will we escalate further after that? Or will we start to unravel the story and bring it back down to ground level? The arc of this story seems like it could be similar to Steins;Gate in that way. Or maybe not. They've done an excellent job keeping the foreshadowing subtle and the future opaque.
Dec 22, 2013 11:10 AM

Sep 2011
this show is just crazy awesome lol

anyone else think this is all Masayoshi's delusions and in episode 22 it's gonna show us him in a straight jacket in an insane asylum?
Dec 22, 2013 11:32 AM

Jun 2012
Damn, why did they have to go full super sentai. King torture was kinda good but it has escalated too far for my liking. Suddenly have an underground base and giant robots, meh, i9 thought this would amount to a lot more than this. halfway through, so they are probably keeping this theme.

It's hilarious they are called the flamengers though LOL

It still has the greatest opening of all time though, i love this opening so much.
jimbob1141Dec 22, 2013 12:38 PM
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Dec 22, 2013 3:42 PM
Aug 2008
Damnit everything was super awesome and really good like kickass n stuff, but after money business its all going downhill, why are you doing this to potentially good show :( It had great potential...
Dec 22, 2013 3:44 PM

Jun 2008
I'm not sure if I should watch this anime. I keep getting mixed reviews from people.
Dec 22, 2013 6:37 PM

Feb 2012
iChanelCoco said:
I'm not sure if I should watch this anime. I keep getting mixed reviews from people.

If you're one of those people that will look at one aspect of the show and blow it way out of proportion, ignoring plot elements clearly given to you, then you will not enjoy the show.

Just read through the thread. Most of the people who doubt the merit of the show right now have nothing intelligent to say about it other than WTFFF THIS IS SO CRAZY AND ILLOGICAL

If you can accept that explanations will not be given to you right away, and have the ability to infer things from clues given to you, I think you'd at least enjoy it a little bit. It's up to you though!
Dec 22, 2013 8:50 PM
Jul 2013
So crazy and so entertaining at the same time.
Dec 22, 2013 9:11 PM
Feb 2013
I am slowly suspecting that these new episodes are being directed by M. Night Shamamalama-sama-chan-senpai-kyun, I just know it! >:( But I'm still willing to keep watching just to see if it'll get a LITTLE better, just a LITTLE BETTER, as the series progresses.
Dec 23, 2013 7:59 AM

May 2013
I always thought this show was like Power Rangers ever since the Gorilla guy showed up, but this episode just.. -.- They should rename the show to "Mighty Power Rangers: Flamenco".
Dec 23, 2013 1:34 PM

Mar 2012
I would laugh soo much if the last ep switches to Gintama which gintoki is watching a tv show saying "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!!!"

anyways this anime is fun to watch :)
Dec 23, 2013 9:25 PM

Jun 2011
DaimonKatio said:
I would laugh soo much if the last ep switches to Gintama which gintoki is watching a tv show saying "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!!!"

anyways this anime is fun to watch :)

I would go as far as call it "Anime of the Year" if that happened. Not even kidding.

Dec 23, 2013 10:43 PM

Oct 2012
Samurai Sentai Shinkenger (a Japanese sentai show) = Samurai Sentai Flamenger? I see what you did there.

I'm giving up on what this show is trying to do. Just going to kick back and going to enjoy a generic sentai show because why not?
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Dec 24, 2013 6:34 AM

Sep 2012
New Team, New characters, New enemy, New arc, AWESOME.

Why Kaname knew already that their name is From Beyond? I've been wondering about that.

The Show is called Samurai Flamenco, but their name as one is Samurai Squad Flamengers.
They're look like Voltes V when they fusion.

I like the new characters as well as the theme song they inserted, so cool.

They forgot about the MMM girls, or maybe they are done in the show? I miss Moe :3

Kaname lied to us again, what I didn't like about him is that he's just letting his men do the job for him.

Lol, that ending at the end.
Dec 24, 2013 7:13 AM

Aug 2013
i dont know why people don't like this change i think this is the best love letter to power rangers/super senti ive ever see, and on that note, who else wants to see Johnny Yong Bosch play Hazama in the dub?
Dec 25, 2013 12:32 PM

Apr 2011
That was freaking awesome, lol. I love how SF has gone from 'Kick-Ass the anime' to full-on sentai. It was only a matter of time before they introduced the color-coded rangers and a giant robot. At least it wasn't totally Voltron/Power Ranger-ed, with Red forming the main body and everyone else taking a limb.

People bitching about the change are apparently unaware of what they were watching :P It's a parody/homage to superhero and sentai shows. I'm sure there will be more moments where SF angsts about what it really means to be a hero, but that's not really the main focus of the show.

Wondering what will happen when SF runs into his manager again, lol, now that his secret identity's out of the bag. As popular as he's become, she'd be insane to drop him as a client, especially now that he has a giant f'ing robot.
Dec 25, 2013 1:33 PM

Jan 2013
This isn't what I signed up for. Can't say I'm not enjoying it though, having watched Voltes V, that combining mecha sequence was hilarious.

I'm still convinced this is either a dream, a movie they are filming or just an exaggerated version of what actually is happening. Then again, I wouldn't really mind if this is exactly what is happening.
Dec 25, 2013 9:39 PM
Sep 2009
Crazy episode! I didn't expect it to turn into this type of show...Hopefully next episode they'll explain more.
Dec 26, 2013 8:13 PM

Jul 2013
"He's toxic enough to make viruses sick". I laughed so hard.. even harder when they showed up and they were all the "red".... funny episode but... very ridiculous..just wtf happened?. This just turned into a kids show,, more like Power Rangers. pffft.
Dec 27, 2013 12:59 PM
Mar 2012
Meh. It went from WTF to retro WTF.
I find myself watching, not because it's particularly good, but because I'm waiting for it to make sense.

The new characters are nice and such, but totally cliché.
Dec 27, 2013 9:47 PM

Mar 2009
I love this show because every single episode feels like a completely different show. It's absolutely fascinating.

I think this is Manglobe's final anime. We all know their recent couple of shows have sold like shit. This is them finally saying, "fuck it."
Dec 28, 2013 10:11 AM

Nov 2012
OK, this was the last drop.. Didn't even finish this episode; dropping.
Dec 28, 2013 11:46 PM
Dec 2013
For all of you who don't like the show, it's for adults that don't want to grow up (ie keep watching power rangers and drinking soda with friends)
Dec 29, 2013 2:31 AM

Dec 2008
That was amazing, haha!
I wouldn´t be surprised if in the end they are fighting with gigantic robos in the space throwing galaxies around like frisbees, lol
Dec 29, 2013 12:49 PM

Jul 2009
Marow said:
What the flying fuck

I second this. LOL my mouth was just open the entire time.

I can't say i dislike it tho. Its fun. though i hope it brings a little more logic and not so much stupidness later. Like King Torture sorta made sense. He was just another person like the main character just he chose the side of evil and was probably filthy rich (hence the lab and ability to change ppl into monsters...)

these Beyond ppl tho...are they aliens? Wth.
Dec 30, 2013 12:02 AM

Dec 2012
ohhhhkay i’m not at all liking the turn samurai flamenco has taken. it started off as a pretty funny and quirky show, with a naive but rather charming protagonist, that didn’t take itself too seriously. but now with the actual - albeit crappy looking - monsters, aliens, random evil lords and freakish torture scenes is just getting really…weird.

it’s such a disappointment because it had so much potential to be an amusing and interesting show - i mean a superhero without superpowers? we don’t see that everyday. but for whatever strange reason they decided to do a complete turnaround from that refreshing appeal and follow some badly written kids morning show routine.

although i understand that is exactly why it some people might enjoy, but quite frankly, i was never a fan (basically hated power rangers and the type) might drop it :/
Anime List

↳ click profile for recommendations

✨☆✨

Dec 30, 2013 6:10 AM
May 2012
That kiss of death scene was just, EWWW!! Disgusting.
Dec 30, 2013 12:02 PM

Apr 2012
Actually, I don't really mind the story is crazy and "WTF" like this. But seriously, what happened to the animation? Why don't they put more effort in it? What happened to the staff responsible in it?
Dec 30, 2013 8:21 PM

Mar 2012
OH.GOD.WHY. I was finally getting used to the show after the whole king torture thing started and now this.......I guess I should just stay quiet and let it all happen, that would be much easier then trying to figure out what the heck happened to that awesome anime that was the first few episodes of this series : /
Dec 31, 2013 2:03 AM

Jan 2013
Power ranger transformers. This series is all over the place.
Wonder where it will go in the second half.
Dec 31, 2013 8:24 AM

Aug 2013
Well... i trying to digest what i just watch...personally i don't mind to see a "Sentai" history.... but this show will lose points to me.
Dec 31, 2013 3:29 PM

Jul 2011
tittycakesXD said:
Terrible episode, I was hoping for something to bridge out what happened for the past few episodes, but this episode made so little sense it was laughably bad.

Sadly I have to agree. Ive been defending this show...but now I have to admit, this is literally Power rangers...and I personally hate power rangers. XD I might have to drop this
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2013

122 by dragnpiano »»
6 hours ago

» This has to be one of the most misunderstood anime of all time, right?

lordgaara - Jun 16, 2023

7 by lordgaara »»
Jan 20, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2013

181 by lordgaara »»
Jul 16, 2023 9:15 PM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

299 by lordgaara »»
May 25, 2023 12:12 AM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2014

105 by lordgaara »»
May 24, 2023 11:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.