Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 20, 2013 2:50 PM

May 2012
By far my favorite show of the season, at least of shows that are ending. It gave me feels, let me imagine a totally different world than any I've pictured, and gave me characters I love, and will continue to love.
While I probably won't be getting many of my friends watching this, at least I did.

I give this show a 9/10 overall for the creativity and how engaging the story was.
Dec 20, 2013 2:51 PM

Jan 2013
rebelakuma said:
The end... i hope they will make a sequel!
Why? The story is told. Let the story be. It's good as it is.
Dec 20, 2013 4:21 PM

Mar 2012
What a beautiful series. I'm really glad the show remained true to its message and characters until the very end. I loved how it always managed to be both spontaneous and heartwarming with solid development of its themes and story despite seeming like creative chaos at first. It amazes me how much development and emotions they managed to put into a 10-episode series. I'm debating between a high 8 or a 9.
Dec 20, 2013 4:43 PM

Jun 2007
Took three tries, but finally a show this season that didn't have a garbage ending. Leaning towards a 9/10, the best of the shows this half-season.
Dec 20, 2013 4:51 PM

Mar 2010
Phew, I haven't written so much about a show in quite some time. Here we go.

"The days together with my loved ones.." "…is the secret of my life!"
Eerily psychedelic.
This seems all too familiar.
What an eyedeal world.
Inari, you sillygoose.
MC Koto is awesome even as a pencil drawing.
Your family is your world.
Family is a beautiful thing.
Way to tie it back to the Life Is But A Dream poem again.
The return of the pomegranate of rebirth.
Rebirth is also a beautiful thing.
Man, this is coming together so well.
Why is this so beautiful?
MC Koto's love is kinda violent lol.
I'm getting Uchouten feels all over again. The simplicity of just enjoying being a family.
I'm at a loss for words about how well put together this is.
The band's back together again.
It's okay to cry sometimes.
Wonderful Book End.

I already liked this show quite a bit when it was just a fun, artsy OVA, but this TV run unexpectedly gave me so much more. Having this air back-to-back with Uchouten Kazoku made it easy to draw parallels with the importance of family, the drama that goes along with it and the creative depiction of Kyoto, despite being larger in scope. You could also make an argument for Penguindrum similarities with the faceless bystanders, daring visual style, symbolic imagery (although nowhere as in your face as Ikuhara) and also the family drama again. The OP/ED were impressively integrated into the finale and the lyrics already fit the messages of the show so well. "This here is all I have. I can accept this place as my home, like any other." The beginning of the finale starts just as the first episode did, with MC Koto listening to Inari under the moonlight. I love this, because it shows the director (OMG another good female director!?) really knows what she's doing and the story probably wasn't just made up as it went along, but rather planned beforehand (and I can say the same thing about the shows I compared it to). There is repetition through how certain characters' actions reflect one another. Mirror world lol, coincidence? I think not. Pulling inspiration from Alice In Wonderland, greek mythology, the buddhist concept of death and rebirth, it was quite an ambitious show to say the least. Luckily, it managed to pull off a satisfying ending for me. Easily one of my favorite shows of the year and I can't wait for the soundtrack. 9/10
brianwuzhereDec 31, 2013 9:43 AM
Dec 20, 2013 5:00 PM

Jun 2011
While episodes 6-9 were rather disappointing considering the exceptional quality of the first half, this episode reminds me why I considered this show the best of the season once upon a time (read: a month ago).

Filled to the brim with wonder, love, and a few beautiful lessons, this episode was in a class of its own compared to the others of the second half (episode five still tops it though), and shows me what this show really has to offer when you forget about all of its animation shortcuts and sometimes convoluted plot lines.

This show gets a very, very solid 7/10 from me; it's a borderline wondrous thrill ride that, while making its fair share of mistakes along the way, is still one of the most entertaining things this season.

brianwuzhere said:
Easily my favorite show of the year and I can't wait for the soundtrack.

The soundtrack is out and available as we speak. I can't give you a download link, but you know what they say: Google is your best friend.
Reaper71Dec 20, 2013 5:04 PM
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Dec 20, 2013 5:26 PM

May 2013
Hurr the power friendship and love bullshit hurr so happy and united.

Let's pretend only the first 5 episodes existed.
Dec 20, 2013 5:28 PM

Aug 2012
The first ending this season I haven't had a problem with. Everything was put together so nicely. Debating on giving this a high 8 or 9.

Dec 20, 2013 6:07 PM

Nov 2008
So much wasted potential...

Oh well, the entire Fall 2013 season has turned out this way...
Dec 20, 2013 6:31 PM

Jul 2010
Brilliantly executed. I particularly liked the choice of the OP/ED.
Really such a satisfying ending. Would not like to see a sequel because it's fine like this.

My favorite show of the season, that's for sure. 9/10

Mizusi said:

That's why I'm losing my faith in humanity.
Dec 20, 2013 7:34 PM

May 2013
Akanezora said:
Coming from someone who gives high scores at the speed of light to every little thing they see, wouldn't consider your opinion worthful either. It's okay if you enjoy things, though it doesn't mean others will have to blindly agree with you as well - especially when things turned out from episode 6 till the end.

Opinions, a rather polemic yet amusing topic, isn't it? Some people just can't stand when others disagree with them.
Dec 20, 2013 8:43 PM

Apr 2013
Akanezora said:

Meh, it's her opinion so don't take what she says to heart. She has a horribly pessimistic view on almost every anime anyway.
Powerful eyebrows.
Dec 20, 2013 9:10 PM

Mar 2010
The problem with the quote in question is not that it's a differing opinion, but rather that it seems like an illogical complaint, because that "love bullshit" is consistent with the theme the show presented. At its core, this is a story about a family and what is a family built upon (or at least, what should it be)? Love. It's featured in the OP lyrics (Sometimes, love rises to cheer me up) and made even clearer in the English insert song used in the penultimate episode (Learn to love and always seek for what is right). I'll agree to disagree about whether the show was good or not and I couldn't care less about what anyone else thinks of it. However, it seems kinda weird to criticize a show for doing exactly what it set out to do. In other words, you shouldn't fault a comedy for being funny.

It just seems like a silly thing to complain about when there's more legitimate things to complain about like maybe the two halves of the show could've transitioned a little better or the relevance of the shrine could've been more integral to the story overall or the obvious budget-saving moment in the previous episode where pretty much nothing is happening in such a visually creative show other than MC Koto and Inari just walking across the screen for almost an entire minute.
brianwuzhereDec 20, 2013 10:48 PM
Dec 20, 2013 9:14 PM

Jul 2010
Mizusi said:
Opinions, a rather polemic yet amusing topic, isn't it? Some people just can't stand when others disagree with them.

Of course they can't, they are humans after all.
And these humans might want to hear a valid opinion and some argument behind it, instead of some "Hurr durr power of friendship and love bullshit".

Don't hide behind your opinion-shield.
Dec 20, 2013 9:18 PM
Oct 2012
Akanezora said:
Brilliantly executed. I particularly liked the choice of the OP/ED.
Really such a satisfying ending. Would not like to see a sequel because it's fine like this.

My favorite show of the season, that's for sure. 9/10

Mizusi said:

You would probably be better off if you didn't base your faith in humanity on the opinions of a 15 year old goth....

Assuming there are still goths, they probably are passe now, but while the form may change, teenagers bitter about the world are about as eternal a thing as exist in this particular time space plane coordinate.
Dec 20, 2013 9:28 PM

Aug 2013
Noooo it's over! Beautiful soundtrack, animation, art, and great plot, loved how it focused a lot on family. So glad they made those ONA's into a full series; it turned out wonderfully. Definitely my favorite series of the season. 9/10
wow gay
Dec 20, 2013 10:05 PM
Jul 2018
I'm glad I picked this up; probably one of the best things there is this drab season.

Koto is too adorable and I enjoy the idea that God is self doubting and somewhat lazy. Such feels contained in 10 episodes.
Dec 20, 2013 10:10 PM

Jul 2009
this is truly one of those eccentric anime that just so happen to deliver
8/10 for originality.
Dec 20, 2013 10:13 PM
Oct 2013
10/10 and arguably the best anime of the season in my humble opinion. Loved most everything except the plot may be hard to follow at times. Let's see if there will be further explanation next episode so I know I am comprehending correctly or not
Dec 20, 2013 10:25 PM

Jun 2013
Mizusi said:

Despite this comment, I'm glad you gave the show a 7 :). And I wouldn't make fun of the power of friendship and love because that shit's powerful... just kidding. But that same theme is pervasive in anime anyways so I wouldn't go trying to offend the show as well as some people out there by using expressions like "hurr durr" thinking it's funny. And also, the power of friendship and love seem to be a big part of a lot of the anime you seemed to have enjoyed, like Mahou Shoujo Madoka, so what's the problem with Kyouso Giga? In support of brianwuzhere and Akanezora, your comment is bound to pique the interest of lovers of Kyouso Giga, especially since it seems to have no sense of why you disliked it.
Dec 20, 2013 10:28 PM

Jul 2011
From start to ending each and every episode lived up to the high expectations I had for the series. Instantly one of my favourites 10/10
Dec 20, 2013 11:38 PM

Aug 2013
Love the show <3 <3 8/10 I hope if it wasn't 10 episodes only , If there is more for the story I hope for S2 :3!

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Dec 21, 2013 12:58 AM

Oct 2012
Episode 10 really brought back the emotions of the first 5 episodes. Wonderful ending for a wonderful show. Honestly thought it wouldn't be able to pull it off. Easy 9/10.
Dec 21, 2013 1:30 AM

Mar 2010
PetitFours said:
10/10 and arguably the best anime of the season in my humble opinion. Loved most everything except the plot may be hard to follow at times. Let's see if there will be further explanation next episode so I know I am comprehending correctly or not

If anyone else is also a little confused, I believe Enzo has a relatively firm grasp on the show and I feel this post covers most of what the series was trying to say: http://www.lostinanime.com/2013/12/kyousougiga-10.html#more
Dec 21, 2013 1:38 AM

Nov 2009
Aww. Good thing their family is complete again.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 21, 2013 3:01 AM

Nov 2012
oh my god this episode was brilliant. the family got back together! and inari and myoue seem like they have gained more hope now.
9/10 from me
Dec 21, 2013 7:06 AM

Dec 2009
This series lost me after the first half, sadly. But that half was so strong, it manages to weight up the rest.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Dec 21, 2013 9:30 AM

May 2013
Akanezora said:
And these humans might want to hear a valid opinion and some argument behind it, instead of some "Hurr durr power of friendship and love bullshit".
But that's exactly what this ending was. It doesn't make it invalid just because the way I said it offended you, princess.

Takuan_Soho said:
You would probably be better off if you didn't base your faith in humanity on the opinions of a 15 year old goth....

Assuming there are still goths, they probably are passe now, but while the form may change, teenagers bitter about the world are about as eternal a thing as exist in this particular time space plane coordinate.
Are you purposedly trying to humiliate yourself for no reason? What do goths even have to do with this show or its fanbase? Do you also randomly call people "emo" whenever you feel the need to make your ego feel superior? You should really think twice before projecting that hard, it's really sad.

pakoko said:
Despite this comment, I'm glad you gave the show a 7 :). And I wouldn't make fun of the power of friendship and love because that shit's powerful... just kidding. But that same theme is pervasive in anime anyways so I wouldn't go trying to offend the show as well as some people out there by using expressions like "hurr durr" thinking it's funny. And also, the power of friendship and love seem to be a big part of a lot of the anime you seemed to have enjoyed, like Mahou Shoujo Madoka, so what's the problem with Kyouso Giga? In support of brianwuzhere and Akanezora, your comment is bound to pique the interest of lovers of Kyouso Giga, especially since it seems to have no sense of why you disliked it.
Of course I gave it a 7, I loved it. It would be a 10/10 if the second half kept the charm that was the first half, I was really intrigued and amazed by this show. Madoka is also one of my favorite shows and I also found the ending to be like that, though it wasn't exactly a happy ending. I never said I disliked it, plus the ONAs are still rated as 8/10. If some desperate kids get nervous whenever someone goes beyond their opinions, that's their problem.
Dec 21, 2013 12:56 PM
Oct 2012
Mizusi said:
Are you purposedly trying to humiliate yourself for no reason? What do goths even have to do with this show or its fanbase? Do you also randomly call people "emo" whenever you feel the need to make your ego feel superior? You should really think twice before projecting that hard, it's really sad.

Nah, I leave that for you. As for the "goth" quip, should I have used "poser" instead? What else do you call someone who thinks that a negative ending is somehow better than a happy ending just because it was negative?

This show made it clear from the beginning, each episode started by saying that this show was about an "unusual" family; that you thought it was going to have any other ending but a family overcoming their dysfunction and becoming a family once again, is laughable. Never has the ending been so broadcasted by the show's director.

That said, if you have an actual complaint about the show, please say it, most of the fans hear would love to hear an intelligent critique. But all you said was "Hurr the power friendship and love bullshit hurr so happy and united", shows that you didn't even understand the show (they weren't friends, they were all family members, grandfather, husband, wife, uncle, and four very different siblings (and even Myoue was their real child, half his heart was the fathers) - so maybe it was the "hrrr power of love", but it certainly wasn't about "friendship"), and made you sound like a petulant, smug little child.

In short you are the kid you accuse others of being.
Dec 21, 2013 1:32 PM

May 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Nah, I leave that for you. As for the "goth" quip, should I have used "poser" instead? What else do you call someone who thinks that a negative ending is somehow better than a happy ending just because it was negative?

This show made it clear from the beginning, each episode started by saying that this show was about an "unusual" family; that you thought it was going to have any other ending but a family overcoming their dysfunction and becoming a family once again, is laughable. Never has the ending been so broadcasted by the show's director.

That said, if you have an actual complaint about the show, please say it, most of the fans hear would love to hear an intelligent critique. But all you said was "Hurr the power friendship and love bullshit hurr so happy and united", shows that you didn't even understand the show (they weren't friends, they were all family members, grandfather, husband, wife, uncle, and four very different siblings (and even Myoue was their real child, half his heart was the fathers) - so maybe it was the "hrrr power of love", but it certainly wasn't about "friendship"), and made you sound like a petulant, smug little child.

In short you are the kid you accuse others of being.
Poser of what? Aren't you projecting yourself again? When did I say I wanted this to have a sad ending? Why do you keep trying to spout non-sense so you can have something to hold on when you really don't know what are you even trying to imply?

How many times will I have to repeat that nobody has the same tastes and opinions? Why is it so hard for you to perceive something so simple? The last episodes were rushed and so was the ending, does that fact bother you that much?

I have to admit that your attempt of looking mature and "logic" was almost successful, so congratulations for the effort. In short, you're a kiddo who calls anyone who opposes you "kids", a brat who's mad over japanese cartoons and calls others "emo" or "goth" as expected of all that unnecessary anger.

Have a nice day, don't get so mad over things on the internet.
MizusiDec 21, 2013 1:36 PM
Dec 21, 2013 2:17 PM

Apr 2013
Oh beautiful anime.
Family is everything.
Dec 21, 2013 5:48 PM

May 2011
I'm surprised by how well the series came together by the end with that tight series of ten episodes. Watching how much they cared for each other even with the issues each of them faced was beautiful. I'm happy with the conclusion and seeing that these central characters who weren't at all sure what they were living for, have found reason to their existence.
Dec 21, 2013 6:10 PM
Oct 2012
Mizusi said:
Have a nice day, don't get so mad over things on the internet.

No adult gets mad at petulant, smug little children, they find them amusing. As for not getting mad, read your own post and take a little of your own medicine.

As for "people have different opinions". Yes they do, but adults can back up their opinions with arguments, adult also don't get mad when people challenge their opinions. Oh, and adults don't use the "I am rubber you are glue" argument. So in short if you don't want to be treated like a kid, stop acting like one.

Though I should probably have not used the word "kid", I have met many kids who are far more mature than many adults, so I am tarring them by associating them with you. My apologies to them.
Dec 21, 2013 11:57 PM

Jan 2009
god rabbit shows up and say everything is just fine lol
Dec 22, 2013 1:46 AM

May 2009
Koto definitely wins my favorite character award. Can't remember a character I loved so much. She really is perfect! To think this little tomboy would become one of my favs.
GhostCellDec 22, 2013 1:53 AM
Dec 22, 2013 4:56 AM
Jan 2013
Really enjoyed the show, one of my favourites this season. I wanted them to become a happy family again in the end and I'm happy with the outcome <3 Glad Koto talked some sense into Inari. 9/10
._.
Dec 22, 2013 7:52 AM

May 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
No adult gets mad at petulant, smug little children, they find them amusing. As for not getting mad, read your own post and take a little of your own medicine.

As for "people have different opinions". Yes they do, but adults can back up their opinions with arguments, adult also don't get mad when people challenge their opinions. Oh, and adults don't use the "I am rubber you are glue" argument. So in short if you don't want to be treated like a kid, stop acting like one.

Though I should probably have not used the word "kid", I have met many kids who are far more mature than many adults, so I am tarring them by associating them with you. My apologies to them.

Everyone who dislikes things you like is a goth.

I'm going to repeat because you don't seem to get it: there is no need to be this mad, kid.
Dec 22, 2013 11:38 AM
Oct 2012
j0x said:
god rabbit shows up and say everything is just fine lol

That was the main theme of the series. Inari was mad because he thought his father abandoned him and he thought that Myoue hated him, and here all along his father had always been there and he never noticed that Myoue complains about everything, while thinking differently (something that Nase pointed out to Myoue during their fight).

The thing I think that is confusing people about this show is that Inari never had the power to destroy the world or even himself; his father God wouldn't allow either (though if Inari really wanted to destroy himself God would have allowed it if Inari could find someone to take over his duties).

Inari was a spoiled child who never grew up. Here the quote from Alice in Wonderland in the 0 episode gains it meaning: "what is life but a dream". Life isn't a dream. There are real people in it on whom your actions really do have an impact. There is little surprise that this show had 2 characters (Inarii and Myoue) who in effect both wanted to commit suicide. Both were too selfish, never thinking of what their deaths would mean to other people. This is what made Koto such a great character, she was the one who broke through their immaturity and forced them to grow up (which in large part is accepting that you do have responsibilities to other people, starting with your own family).

That was the main theme of the show, not "friendship" or even "love". It's about what separates children from being adults.

Edit: Corrected Izumi to Inari from 2nd paragraph on, at least I had it right in the first one :-)
Takuan_SohoDec 23, 2013 12:50 PM
Dec 22, 2013 3:59 PM
Jul 2013
It was very tangled and difficult to understand the plot but finally finished the series.

* RIP Kyousou Giga (TV)*
Dec 22, 2013 4:38 PM

Sep 2012
That was easily the best show of the year. I had some issues with underused characters and a few kinda poor explanations, but it was an amazing series, with good drama, fantasy, mystery and nice messages.
8/10
Dec 22, 2013 7:50 PM

Jan 2013
Unfortunately it took a bad chuunibyou turn after episode 6 and ended in meh.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Dec 22, 2013 9:58 PM

Sep 2013
Well that was definitely an interesting and different finale for a strange show.

Although this anime was really good it just never 'clicked' for me, I never looked forward to it even though I enjoyed it when I watched it and after finishing the whole thing I've got to say my favorite episode was the 5.5 live action special :p
Dec 23, 2013 12:22 AM

Jan 2013
7.5/10
Not my type of anime, but there were a lot of scenes I liked. Quite emotional and grounded while all the crazy stuff was going on. I just didn't have the motivation to even try to get what was going on most of the time. Maybe if I marathoned it and wasn't watching 30 other anime this season.

I think it's a case of you get what you put in. There are more than a few people I've seen write essay length blog posts and forum posts on each episode. And they all love it.
RediceRyanDec 23, 2013 12:25 AM
Dec 23, 2013 3:06 AM

Apr 2013
RediceRyan said:
7.5/10
Not my type of anime, but there were a lot of scenes I liked. Quite emotional and grounded while all the crazy stuff was going on. I just didn't have the motivation to even try to get what was going on most of the time. Maybe if I marathoned it and wasn't watching 30 other anime this season.

I think it's a case of you get what you put in. There are more than a few people I've seen write essay length blog posts and forum posts on each episode. And they all love it.

Yeah, I marathoned through this anime and it helped me get a lot more out of it, made me more invested in the characters and the story.
Powerful eyebrows.
Dec 23, 2013 3:23 AM

Jun 2012
What I thought was really random initially turned out to be pretty meaningful, I liked this series ^^

not sure on a rating, but somewhere along 7-8/10.

Dec 23, 2013 8:17 PM

Oct 2012
Was confusing at times but a nice treat overall. The heroine is just too likeable. It was a fun adventure.

9/10 more please.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Dec 24, 2013 12:17 AM

Dec 2013
I really loved this anime, the character designs, the plot, the animation and the rest are really breath-taking.

As for me, I never liked animes with historical or cultural references but when I watched KSgiga, everything became interesting. Romance is not the main plot in this anime but I was really hooked with it. I love animes where my brain works--- in making different theories and possibilities that are related to the next events.

The story is already finished but I really wish that they would make an OVA where it depicts on how their daily life went on, it will really cover up the holes that it left.

For me it's a 9/10. It would be 10/10 if it's longer or if they shed light to the other characters (especially Fushimi and Hachiman).
(Not to mention that in the PV of KSgiga, Usagi Koto looks like a villain and some there are some characters THAT never appeared in the series)
Dec 24, 2013 8:56 AM

May 2013
WOW what an ending!!!!!'

So the beads is the instrument of life? And the hammer is instrument of death or the senseis heart?
I don't understand how the beads saves lady koto?

-1 for a bit boring first half but the second half is awesome!

Overall 9/10
Dec 24, 2013 11:35 AM
Jan 2010
that ending was kind of odd but I reckon a lot of the mistakes are due to the low budget
8/10 and of course AotS
Dec 25, 2013 12:27 AM

Mar 2010
na35899 said:
So the beads is the instrument of life? And the hammer is instrument of death or the senseis heart?
I don't understand how the beads saves lady koto?

Inari's godly powers were divided between Myoue (beads of creation) and MC Koto (hammer of destruction). Myoue was given the power of creation, but he just never used it, because he was so set on killing himself until the end of the show. So, with this power he can recreate the slowly fading Lady Koto and everyone who disappeared in the previous episode. Also, buddhists use prayer beads to chant mantras in hopes of reaching enlightenment aka rebirth.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2013

66 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 9:59 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2013

61 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 9:31 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2013

65 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 9:07 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2013

87 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 8:42 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

80 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 8:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.