Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Dec 18, 2013 7:20 PM

Jul 2008
Regardless of whether this show is objectively good or not I actually really enjoyed it except the last two minutes.
Dec 18, 2013 7:21 PM

Dec 2012
I can just see a season 2 where Akihito and Mirai are dating and there's never a kiss scene, they tremble in fear at the thought of h-h-holding h-hands, yet they've had sex and Mirai is most unpleasantly pregnant. If we're gonna sail this ship we gotta do it the KyoAni way.
Dec 18, 2013 7:25 PM

Jul 2012
I had a bad feeling it wasn't going to be wrapped up well...

and I was right :/

The last two episodes made me like this show so much more...guess I really hoped the final episode would be of the same caliber. I'm pretty disappointed.

There are too many things left unexplained. This really would've benefited if it was even one episode longer.

Yet all things considered, I still enjoyed it, especially the shiny animation. Wouldn't mind another season.
Dec 18, 2013 7:29 PM
Apr 2012
9/10 from me. The visuals pretty much boosted the score for me. Pretty cliche ending.
Well, Chuunibyou 2 here we come.
Dec 18, 2013 7:40 PM

Aug 2012
Ending could have been better but still I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Going to give it a 8/10

Dec 18, 2013 7:40 PM

May 2012
man hope it ends last week.. i hate the ending too much unexplained pointless battle,. I enjoy the series anyways.. if they didnt bring mirai back at the end its gonna be a good ending to me..

Dec 18, 2013 7:42 PM

Feb 2012
I applaud KyoAni for trying something different and doing an action-oriented show. Their animation really shines in action scenes and is just gorgeous. Unfortunately they didn't quite hit the mark plot and character-wise. They both felt weak and didn't do much to suck me into the show.

That really isn't entirely their fault though. The source wasn't their own ( it won in their awards but wasn't made by them ), and although they added their own material, the source itself wasn't very strong to begin with. I was really hoping they'd make it work like they did with Chuunibyou when they added their own material, but alas.

I hope this doesn't discourage them from making more shows like this though. They just need good source material to work with.
Dec 18, 2013 7:44 PM

Jan 2012
Her returning was really predictable and I was kind of hoping that Mirai wouldn't return or least not this in this episode but in like an OVA or something because the disappearance scene lacked impact compared to the first one. The battle Izumi had with Fujima ended way to quickly and could of expanded more on his reasoning. They showed that Hiromi was mad at his sister and his new position but they just ended it like that and he reverted back to his old self. Izumi just randomly disappeared without a trace. I wonder if we'll ever get any more development after this like in the OVA or a new season or if this is the end.

The show was visually pleasing, but the plot and presentation could of been a bit better. 7/10
penguindrum264Dec 18, 2013 7:49 PM
Dec 18, 2013 7:44 PM

Apr 2013
Well, that was a shitty ending. If Kyoukai no Kanata being in his body was so dangerous, how is he fine with putting it back in. Doesn't that make everything for nothing? Won't he just transform again later? Why did it come out as a giant fist of all things? How did Mirai end up coming back? What exactly happened to Mirai? Just because it's the last episode doesn't mean that it's okay to not explain anything.
Dec 18, 2013 7:45 PM

Dec 2009
Wait a minute. What's the point in trying to kill/taking Beyond the Boundary out of Kanbara, when it just went back inside him at the end.

Did they basically just wasted their time and effort or am I just missing something.
SimmonzDec 18, 2013 8:17 PM
Dec 18, 2013 7:57 PM

Feb 2008
the ending was ridiculous with no understanding on why she was able to come back at the end. But the fighting animation was top notch and the story for the most part was pretty good. must be a season 2 coming.
Dec 18, 2013 8:11 PM
Oct 2012
penguindrum264 said:
Her returning was really predictable and I was kind of hoping that Mirai wouldn't return or least not this in this episode

They just published the third novel, so who knows. This show only covered the first from what I heard, this is why it was so thin.

I really agree with your comment about having Mirai there at the ending. Very stupid ending. Why did she just show up then, where was she during the time in between, etc. etc. It drained all the meaning out of the show and was completely anticlimactic. The siblings thing was better explained (and it explains why Izumi protected Mirai in the first place), but for a show that was very thin, they really skipped over a lot of things that could have been explained better. It makes me wonder if they were under some plot restriction or something, otherwise the adapter did a very very poor job.
Dec 18, 2013 8:16 PM

Jul 2013
Well, it was an okay ending, though it did not meet my expectations, and it felt rushed all of a sudden. Though I would say the action and animation was great imo.

The only thing I like here is KyoAni's animation, art, supernatural themes, and the ending song of it. They gave me all 2 thumbs up throughout the series.

On the downside, I want to say to KyoAni to slow down the story. Putting down everything in just one episode just makes it harder to understand. Also some characters were sort of unlikable, especially Mirai who is bland for the most part, (up until episode 10) and not enough character developments for the other. As for the ending, though it was good that Mirai came back but I sort of lost the emotion of it.

I will give this 7/10, it was a decent series overall, just I wished they should slowed down a bit and expand the character developments.

Dec 18, 2013 8:18 PM

Jul 2009
If there is no season 2 this cannot be called a series with plot. Seriously.

Kuriyama came back for the sole reason that main characters dont die (usually...)

on another note, best part of this episode was 1) when Hiromi put his hands under Akkey's armpits again, LOL i love those two and 2) when Akkey's mom got kicked. lol

seriously tho she needs to come back and explain Akkey's origins. Like c'mon!
Dec 18, 2013 8:36 PM

Jun 2013
Wait... I thought she died. How did she come back? I need an explanation! Also, seems like they just left out the background of that one guy (can't remember is name) who just kinda exploded and disappeared.

I loved it when Ai just went up and poked the youmu, that was hilarious XD.

Overall, I'd have to say 7/10. The art and animation was superb, but there are just too many plot holes. Imo, I think they could have taken out the one episode where they sang to get the youmu and put some more background.
Dec 18, 2013 8:42 PM

Jun 2013
The ending reminded me of a student who didn't study for his/her final essay exam, throwing all sorts of crap on the page without any explanation or cohesiveness, hoping to get high marks from the teacher.

Honestly, had it not been for episode 4 and a few other bones thrown to the viewer, I don't know that I would have finished this one...
Dec 18, 2013 8:50 PM

Jan 2013
7.90 rating. Why the fuck not.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Dec 18, 2013 9:00 PM

Oct 2007
DawnJ said:

Kyoani show means pretty much automatic high aggregate score on MAL due to lots of people watching cause of hype and the fan base being pretty easily placated in general. The fact that this thread is pretty down on the final episode is admittedly very surprising not because I think the episode doesn't deserve criticism, just that it so rarely happens when Kyoani is involved.
Dec 18, 2013 9:02 PM

Dec 2012
Wait, so that thing went back in Akihito and we're back to square one? Not to mention, Mirai appeared out of nowhere at the end? What the hell?

It has great animation and was eye candy, and some parts were genuinely interesting. However, I never really got into this anime and I still thought the best episode was the filler episode where all of them started dancing. Something is wrong if the fun elements overlaps the serious elements of the story. The writing was just plain weird.

5.5/10... But I always round down so its 5/10 for me.
Dec 18, 2013 9:05 PM
Dec 2013
Oookay, I think i'm dumb but someone can explain to me about:
1. Why Mirai got revived in the end? Wtf, how?While in the anime it took maybe a few months, in our real world it took less than five minutes with no indications or clue whatsoever (beyond the ring disappearance) and lo and behold she revived on the school rooftop, I mean HOW?
2. Who Aki's father and what the circumstances of his birth that make Aki harbor KnK?
3. Who the old dude in Nase family secret hideout (is he really grandfather biologically or it's just a title), and what his purpose?
4. Who is Fujima boss (I think he's just underling, am I wrong?) and what happened in the past that make him hate Izumi?
5. Where Izumi gone?
Overall I think 6/10 especially because the second half of the ending is so rushed and lame :s
Dec 18, 2013 9:06 PM

Dec 2010
So why did Kuriyama come back to life? Did Akkey enter god mode or something?

Whatever, I enjoyed the series a lot. 8/10 from me. 9/10 if Kuriyama had stayed dead. And 10/10 if they had stuck to the source material more.

Anyone know how the sales are? This needs a second season, with all these questions unanswered.
Dec 18, 2013 9:15 PM

Jul 2008
xlRevanlx said:
Wait a minute. What's the point in trying to kill/taking Beyond the Boundary out of Kanbara, when it just went back inside him at the end.

Did they basically just wasted their time and effort or am I just missing something.

The way Kyoukai no Kanata responded to Kanbara's feeling near the end pretty much hint at it being the 'dark side' of Kanbara.

The reason it went berserk was because Kanbara rejected his dark feeling and thus rejected the part of himself that contained Kyoukai no Kanata. He wanted to live as a human so he rejected his youmu half in an attempt to live a normal life.
When he accepted himself as a whole, he accepted Kyoukai no Kanata at the same time.

While it might seems that it's back to square one it's actually quite different. Since Kyoukai no Kanata and Kanbara made peace there's basically no reason for it to go berserk on it's own anymore. Kanbara is even very likely to be able to use it's power if the series actually continued.
Dec 18, 2013 9:18 PM

Oct 2007
DarkDooM2 said:

Anyone know how the sales are? This needs a second season, with all these questions unanswered.

Sales are looking moderately better after this episode, but according to experts are projected somewhere in the 4K average territory. Personally I'm somewhat skeptical of this notion as I've discussed with some people in sales threads and figure it'll be higher than that, but until then that's the estimate.

Incidentally, I wouldn't have scored this show any better had Mirai stayed dead or not, because I think the whole drama over her felt manufactured in the first place. Not much about what happened with her made much sense to me to begin with so I feel the show would have been better off never even attempting to kill her off in the first place. This show just does not handle it's drama well period so they'd already bitten off way more than they could chew when they attempted all that IMO.
PeacingOutDec 18, 2013 9:21 PM
Dec 18, 2013 9:29 PM

Dec 2010
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Incidentally, I wouldn't have scored this show any better had Mirai stayed dead or not, because I think the whole drama over her felt manufactured in the first place. Not much about what happened with her made much sense to me to begin with so I feel the show would have been better off never even attempting to kill her off in the first place. This show just does not handle it's drama well period so they'd already bitten off way more than they could chew when they attempted all that IMO.

The reason why I would've scored it higher is because I don't like Kuriyama.
Dec 18, 2013 9:31 PM

Sep 2013
Goodluck for all wanting a 2nd Season.

Cause you are getting fuck all. I'd rather be eating shit on toast then watch this again.

/nuffsaid.
Dec 18, 2013 9:39 PM

Nov 2009
I loved the show from the prologue the op up to the fade-in ed. But in that last few minutes it just collapsed. Why kyon-ani why? =(
Dec 18, 2013 9:45 PM
Oct 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
DawnJ said:

Kyoani show means pretty much automatic high aggregate score on MAL due to lots of people watching cause of hype and the fan base being pretty easily placated in general. The fact that this thread is pretty down on the final episode is admittedly very surprising not because I think the episode doesn't deserve criticism, just that it so rarely happens when Kyoani is involved.

Again you act as KyoAni is unique. People on MAL rate all shows too high. This is the Lake Wobegon of animation, where everything is above average. For some strange reason people think giving a show a 5 (which should be average) is the same as saying they hated it.

Add to this that the vast majority of voters make their minds up based on the previews and/or the first episode and never change their vote. This of course benefits KyoAni (being one of the better known studios) because they attract a larger voter block, and the larger the block the higher the average score will be (based on the above paragraph). It's only a very small subset of viewers who wait to judge a show on its merits. But KyoAni is not alone on this, they are just one of the most visible (because their trailers usually are pretty good because the animation quality).

As for KyK, 4-5K will probably be where the first episode goes. Maybe 6. There was some good animation in there, and that might help, but I haven't heard anyone raving about this show, and there really isn't anything in there that sticks out. Then again, the Glasses Fetish contingent in Japanese society may buy up some copies. But your idea that KyoAni always sells has been proven wrong too many times. Tamako Market being a simple example.

The Mirai not appearing would have been a much better ending for the show, but it wouldn't have "made" the show. I would give this a 4. There was some nice animation sequences and a couple of amusing scenes. Had Mirai not reappeared, 5 maybe a 6. Endings are important, and that was the natural ending, and I liked that what she really wanted someone to say "you did good" (that was what the head pat really was about); that was keeping in her character and worked for her life story. Also, to be honest, knowing that KyoAni always goes for the happy ending, it really would have surprised me, and I appreciate things that are outside my expectations.

Above average art + below average story = an average show, and that was what this was. I think most people would agree, however because this is MAL instead of this show being in the 4-6 range, it will be in the high 7's.
Dec 18, 2013 9:47 PM

Aug 2013
And so it ends.

It had a couple of good moments. I thought Sakura saying she wants to kick Akihito's mom was funny and Ai poking the youmu was adorable.
There were still misplaced jokes that made me cringe but hey the unfunny jokes and recycled gags have been there since the first episode so I suppose it really is this show's staple.

So that fight between Izumi and that glasses dude was basically just included so we can learn that Izumi has a youmu in her. What could have been an awesome fight ended in five seconds. The dude is just evil for the sake of being evil just to give KnK S1 a distinguishable antagonist. Sadly we won't get to learn the reason why he did what he did until maybe a second season or read the LN.

When Mirai's leg cracked, I thought they were going for a "Mirai vanished" ending. I was expecting them to hint in the end that Mirai is alive and there'd be a way to bring her back which would have been a good hook for a second season. Sadly, they went for a happy ending, with Mirai magically appearing on the rooftop. It was like during the staff meeting they're like "for some reason, Mirai appears on the rooftop...yeah let's go with that!" I don't mind happy endings but this...this just felt cheap.

I really think the problem with this anime is that it tried too hard to be so many things all at once but did a half-ass job on all of them. They tried to keep it light-hearted and funny but the jokes and gags were recycled and often felt flat. They put in drama but a lot of times it was followed up by a lame joke which ruined the scene.

That misplaced idol episode. Seriously if they just made that as an OVA then worked on fleshing out episode 10 to 12, then maybe the ending would have been better. Whatever mood and story episode 1-5 has established (however little it was) went down the drain when they did that filler. I guess the source was really THAT thin and shallow if they needed a filler in a 1-cour anime.

Plot and characters' personality is as deep as dry paint on a wall.

The only thing that went well for this series is the art and animation. And Ai. Ai was consistently adorable haha.

Did I enjoy it? Well I was entertained I guess even though I kept hoping the next episode would be better. It's not entirely unpleasant.

5/10. A mediocre show wrapped in glittery high-class package.
xcheeDec 18, 2013 9:51 PM
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Dec 18, 2013 9:55 PM

Jan 2013
I just found out KnK LN is actually published by KyoAni, which means KnK is KyoAni original. Now everything makes sense.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Dec 18, 2013 10:02 PM
Dec 18, 2013 10:10 PM
Jun 2010
Verdict: great production, bad story/source material. Overall disappointing.
I am counting on you to make up for this with Chuu2 Ren, KyoAni.
Dec 18, 2013 10:20 PM

Oct 2012
That was a terrible ending. I was ready to give it an 8 because of the buildup the last few episodes but that ending solved absolutely nothing and was filled with Unpleasantness.
Dec 18, 2013 10:25 PM
Jun 2012
Why did Mirai disappear at first?
Dec 18, 2013 10:45 PM

Feb 2012
A shiny turd but a turd nonetheless. 6/10
Dec 18, 2013 10:58 PM
Sep 2008
The coming back to life lets blame it on love but what really bothers me whats the deal with izumi whats the youmu inside her and how and when and what
Dec 18, 2013 11:32 PM

Dec 2009
Shangetsu said:
xlRevanlx said:

The way Kyoukai no Kanata responded to Kanbara's feeling near the end pretty much hint at it being the 'dark side' of Kanbara.

The reason it went berserk was because Kanbara rejected his dark feeling and thus rejected the part of himself that contained Kyoukai no Kanata. He wanted to live as a human so he rejected his youmu half in an attempt to live a normal life.
When he accepted himself as a whole, he accepted Kyoukai no Kanata at the same time.

While it might seems that it's back to square one it's actually quite different. Since Kyoukai no Kanata and Kanbara made peace there's basically no reason for it to go berserk on it's own anymore. Kanbara is even very likely to be able to use it's power if the series actually continued.

Heh, in a way it reminds me of Persona 4. Thanks, I get it now.
SimmonzDec 18, 2013 11:38 PM
Dec 18, 2013 11:36 PM

Aug 2013
And it's done. I actually enjoyed Kyoukai no Kanata a lot, especially the animation and art. Though there are some major problems I had, such as the switching moods between episodes. One episode it would be dark, and the next it would be hilarious. I would have liked it better if it had been darker, or just didn't have as much humor in it as it did. Also hated Mirai and her inconsistent character. The ending was also a bit weird. 6/10
wow gay
Dec 18, 2013 11:53 PM

Aug 2013
And its over... Dem feels, no more moeblob fuyukai desu~.

Izumi nee-san and that Fujima, Miroku having a youmu inside of them, If and only if they'll be having a sequel maybe it's about them.

Dat ending. NO KISSU!!! T.T

I will miss you Megane Bishoujo! Fuyukai desu~!

Mirai
Dec 19, 2013 12:18 AM

Jun 2013
All dem feels made me cried like a baby.... Fuyukai desu

SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL (even though i kinda wanted them to hug/kiss at the end... oops)

Different people has different opinions and views but for me it's easily a 10/10 im contented
Dec 19, 2013 12:40 AM
Dec 2008
i hope s2? yea sure lots of shit not explaiend but w/e i enjoyed it
OP is OP
Dec 19, 2013 12:55 AM
May 2010
disappointed. how unpleasant. i am curious how.
Dec 19, 2013 1:16 AM

Mar 2012
Anyone notice that Ninomiya changes clothes between going from the school to where Miroku was?
Dec 19, 2013 1:17 AM

Feb 2012
So basically in the end, the plot was running in circles. Aki had the youmu in him, it disappeared from him, in the end, it became one with him again? Same with Mirai - she lived, disappeared, lived, disappeared, then reappears again... My question is, how did she end up reappearing again?

6/10 - Love the graphics/art though.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Dec 19, 2013 1:37 AM

Oct 2013
Hopefully they will come back with a second season and explain what the hell has actually been happening. It would be really unfair to leave us with Mirai reappearing out of the blue, revelations about Izumi harboring a youmu and the antagonist disappearing without any explanation. I also want to see how Hiroomi handles being head of the Nase family, and maybe some more Spirit World Warrior action now that the big bad youmu named after the series has been dealt with.

This was KyoAni's chance to prove they can step outside of their comfort zone, I would be very disappointed if they left it without expanding and working on the downsides this anime had.

Dec 19, 2013 1:50 AM
Feb 2011
Cliche ending to a mediocre show, not surprising.

Some parts interesting, but overall just meh. I'm more interested in Izumi and antagonist's history than the MC.

6/10, may drop to 5
Dec 19, 2013 1:53 AM

Dec 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
DarkDooM2 said:

Sales are looking moderately better after this episode, but according to experts are projected somewhere in the 4K average territory. Personally I'm somewhat skeptical of this notion as I've discussed with some people in sales threads and figure it'll be higher than that, but until then that's the estimate.

Kaioshin_Sama, where do you get the information of the sales of the anime?
Would you mind sharing it?
Dec 19, 2013 2:28 AM

Jul 2013
Great Ending! I really enjoyed this series, it made me laughed and cried. Kyoani did it well but how Mirai came back? I though it will be a sad end. I'm really happy to see those two together again. <3 that part when Mirai is about to disappear my tears came out like when I watched Angel beats that was really dramatic. But I'm happy to the Happy Ending, scene like that first episode but no megane.

EPIC BATTLE SCENE TOGETHER WITH AKKEY! that was really cool!

9/10 love this show!
"Anything is possible if you stop doubting yourself, so put some more faith unto you!"
Dec 19, 2013 2:28 AM
Dec 2012
season 2 asap pls :c
Dec 19, 2013 2:38 AM

Aug 2012
Those battle sequences were sex to the eyes. Kyoani animation at its best.

Overall, an average series. Please patch up those plotholes next time Kyoani, will you?
5/10
Dec 19, 2013 2:43 AM

Sep 2013
Whoever cried when Mirai disappeared is a dum ass.

You shouldve known already KyoAni pulls a bullshit "happy" ending out of there ass for every possible anime they create. Ending was so bullshit since Mirai appeared like nothing, no explanation.

Shitty moe anime to its max.

As I said battle scenes and the OST were good, nothing else.
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2013

338 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Mar 5, 11:30 PM

» 10th anniversary was yesterday...

dabiggestbird - Oct 4, 2023

17 by pinemoth »»
Oct 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2013

475 by Aruna0 »»
Jul 6, 2023 12:59 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

448 by ds87 »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:36 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2013

195 by lordspacecat »»
Mar 10, 2023 10:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.