Forum Settings
Forums
New
What branch would you serve in(or served)?
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jun 25, 2014 5:00 PM

Feb 2013
paprikawolf said:
None, I don't want to kill people.
FreshPrinceofMAL said:
The amount of ignorance that some of these posts contain astounds me.
Jun 25, 2014 10:11 PM

Jan 2014
FreshPrinceofMAL said:
NTAD said:
You mean like scooping guts back into your guys? I still tip my hat to anyone who can be a combat medic. Shit is rough. They do things for people that anyone else would cringe at. More human than human.

Some of the stories I've heard from my instructors have been pretty crazy.
My cousin is a Green Beret medic, and he's served all around the world, from Afghanistan to the Philippines to Australia of all places. Some of the stories he tells are astounding, even more astounding is that he can even talk about some of the things he's seen. Quite a guy.

Anyways, thank you to all you US armed forces members and vets.
Jun 25, 2014 10:13 PM

Mar 2008
I consider joining military about the same as selling your soul.

Whenever someone joins they never seem the same after. As if part of them is lost.
Jun 25, 2014 10:21 PM

Jan 2014
traed said:
I consider joining military about the same as selling your soul.

Whenever someone joins they never seem the same after. As if part of them is lost.
How the hell does that even make sense? It's not like everyone who joins the military somehow becomes a badass killing machine and then goes out and slaughters dozens of towelheads. Plenty of recruits end up in non-combat MOS specialties and never see combat or violence. And there are lots of perks to the job. To the job. Because that's what it is. But it's also a job that is essential to the security and well being of any nation. Because freedom isn't going to conveniently preserve itself, you know.
Jun 25, 2014 10:49 PM

Sep 2008
FreshPrinceofMAL said:
Well MAL I've joined the U.S. Army. I'm shipping out on February 24 for basic training. After that I'll be off to paramedic school and then Ranger training. Because of this I've gotten curious as to how you guys feel about joining the military. Would you join your country's military, and if so why and what branch? If not also I would like to know why you wouldn't want to join. Also I'm curious as to whether anyone here on MAL has joined the military (although I doubt there'd be many).

Wow good for you OP. You're doing something useful with your life =D
There's two kinds of people you can't win an argument against:
One - Too dumb to tell right from wrong.
Two - Too stubborn to admit they are wrong.
Dec 10, 2014 7:17 PM

Jun 2013
Well after a year in I can honestly say that as of right now I regret picking the job that I did (being a medic). I should have stuck with the intelligence job I was originally offered (ethical hacker). I don't plan on re-enlisting once my contract expires. At least I'm deploying to the Middle East so that should be fun.
Dec 10, 2014 7:18 PM
Jul 2014
Cure those terrorists with your medic powers!
Dec 10, 2014 7:21 PM

Jun 2013
Norse said:
Cure those terrorists with your medic powers!

I treat both enemies and allies, we're not supposed to discriminate injured people it violates the values a health care provider should have.
Dec 10, 2014 7:38 PM

Jul 2014
I'm actually thinking of enlisting in the Airforce or Navy Reserve just cause atm I can't get ahead money wise and feel like joining could help.

It's hard though. Part of me thinks it'd be great to get paid to stay in great shape, get in the GI Bill and get trained for job.

The other part has heard countless horror stories of being stationed in shitty locations or requesting one job but getting stuck with another. I don't know if I can really trust anything a recruiter tells me.

[b]“To be honest, as this world goes, is to be one man picked out of ten thousand.” - Hamlet [/b]
Dec 10, 2014 7:41 PM

Jan 2013
NTAD said:
FreshPrinceofMAL said:

Some of the stories I've heard from my instructors have been pretty crazy.
I heard a story from a TC (Tank Commander) once about a loader on his tank who was outside the hatch on his 240 when an RPG hit and sheared part of the armor off. He said the piece of armor sliced part of the back of the loader's head off and a nearby medic spent nearly 30 minutes trying to save him. It's one thing to be able to take life, but trying to save it, even under those circumstances, is a totally different game...and it sucks when you lose.
Damn... that's intense...
Dec 10, 2014 7:43 PM
Oct 2014
I have reduced color vision, so army was the only branch I were allowed in. I was in a military education last year, heading to be corporal, but I decided to dropp out.

Dec 10, 2014 7:45 PM

Sep 2012
Absolutely not.

My government already has ownership over me, I don't need it to be my job description.

I don't take joy in the thought of potentially murdering people. I'm not a barbarian.
Dec 10, 2014 7:47 PM

Jan 2009
i dream of being a fighter jet pilot back in the days, but i easily get dizzy though
Dec 10, 2014 8:28 PM

Jul 2014
I wouldn't join because I am a pacifist in anything involving me and military is not rly my style. If I were to suddenly join for some reason I'd go to the navy.
Dec 10, 2014 8:30 PM

Aug 2014
I've flirted with the idea before, but at the end of the day, I couldn't do it since I disagree with a lot of what the U.S. military does.
Dec 10, 2014 8:54 PM

Jan 2013
Hmm voted for this but never replied.

I was in training for officer school and special forces for my Country's ground forces. Given a series of events however I ended up working in a paramilitary unit in place. Pays better in the civil sector.

But the three MO's I had to pick from with my enlistment scores were all combat and infantry related. But yeah I have seen deployment and been in a few "hot zones".
RedArmyShogunDec 10, 2014 9:13 PM
Dec 10, 2014 8:58 PM

Oct 2014
JD2411 said:
No. It's stupid and doesn't make you a hero.

He never implied that.
Dec 10, 2014 8:58 PM

Jun 2014
I would never join the military, because I don't believe in harming other people, and I don't want to become a puppet.

Dec 10, 2014 8:59 PM
Sep 2014
If I were to join any military, I would join the JSDF. If I'm going to be fighting, it's not going to be terrorists, it's going to be lizard creatures.
Dec 10, 2014 9:05 PM

Aug 2014
R.I.P bro.
Dec 10, 2014 9:07 PM
Sep 2014
MechaKiryu said:
R.I.P bro.

who died? :( R.I.P. in piece
Dec 10, 2014 9:10 PM

Aug 2014
Rokumi said:
MechaKiryu said:
R.I.P bro.

who died? :( R.I.P. in piece
OP
Dec 10, 2014 9:13 PM

Jan 2013
No he didn't >>
Dec 10, 2014 9:16 PM

Jan 2014
I've been wanting to join the military since i graduated high school, but I've been pressured to finish college. I would love to join the Air Force or the Navy.

Mainly because I want to follow in my fathers, grandfathers, and great-grandfathers footsteps in serving this country. And I would also like to travel the world as well.
Dec 10, 2014 9:23 PM

Feb 2013
If I HAD to join something, it would be the Air Force.....but since I had the choice, I joined none of them, because I don't kill things (I know that's not everything about the military, but it COULD happen, and I'm against it)
Dec 10, 2014 9:25 PM

Aug 2014
RedArmyShogun said:
No he didn't >>
RedArmyShogun said:
No he didn't >>
He's gonna though. The U.S army deals with the majority of the dangerous shit in the world.
Dec 10, 2014 9:27 PM

Jan 2013
MechaKiryu said:
RedArmyShogun said:
No he didn't >>
He's gonna though. The U.S army deals with the majority of the dangerous shit in the world.
You mean the marines right?
Dec 10, 2014 9:28 PM

Aug 2014
Rokumi said:
If I were to join any military, I would join the JSDF. If I'm going to be fighting, it's not going to be terrorists, it's going to be lizard creatures.
Rokumi vs. Godzilla

GODZILLA 2016 OFFICIAL TITLE CONFIRMED!
Dec 10, 2014 9:28 PM

Jan 2013
MechaKiryu said:
RedArmyShogun said:
No he didn't >>

A saying that Frederick II coined.

If every bullet fired hit, where would kings and generals soon get their men?
Dec 10, 2014 9:32 PM
Sep 2014
RedArmyShogun said:
MechaKiryu said:

That makes no sense.
Dec 10, 2014 9:36 PM

Apr 2013
Ben Battle was a soldier bold, 1 day a cannon-ball took off his legs, so he laid down his arms.
Dec 10, 2014 9:38 PM

Jan 2013
Rokumi said:
RedArmyShogun said:

That makes no sense.

It more or less means.

If weapons worked as well as designed, or soldiers for that matter, you would quickly not have soldiers to send to the front.

In otherwords, inspite of modern public speak, most soldiers don't care to fight to death. Or to kill an enemy force utterly.

The US over the last 10 years has had a few thousand loses out of a few million soldiers to pass in and out its doors in the same time.

If "I'll die if I go fight!" was the truth of things there would be no wars. Even the most terrible of conflicts at best manage 20% fatality rates overall. Some positions and jobs are more Dangerous however, snipers for example globally in major wars tend to have 80% loses. And generally arn't taken prisoner. Unless a commander screws up baddly, you all are fanatics, or you have a dangerous job, like a "we need to kill this guy" job, chances are you'll live a battle or several for none worse the wear.

Funny enough Civilians tend to die at much higher rates than soldiers in and around battlezones, by just being in the way mostly.
RedArmyShogunDec 10, 2014 9:45 PM
Dec 10, 2014 9:59 PM
Jul 2018
I'd join the marines as an engineer, but I heard from someone that they'll put you where they think you fit best regardless of what you score in what I believe is an entrance exam? I'm not really sure.

So my pick would be the Air Force.

I'll take whatever I can to fly those sweet F-18's and F-22's. Too bad I don't have 20x20 vision. There is still surgery.
Dec 10, 2014 10:15 PM

Nov 2011
MechaKiryu said:
Rokumi said:
Rokumi vs. Godzilla

Its been 29 movies of the military trying to kill Godzilla. Doesnt he know he's just gonna be some fodder thats gonna get stomped on
The Art of Eight
Dec 10, 2014 10:53 PM

Aug 2014
dankickyou said:
MechaKiryu said:
Rokumi vs. Godzilla

Its been 29 movies of the military trying to kill Godzilla. Doesnt he know he's just gonna be some fodder thats gonna get stomped on
First of all Rokumi is a girl. And second of all, Godzilla has got his ass kicked by the JSDF about five times already.
Dec 10, 2014 11:05 PM

Nov 2011
MechaKiryu said:
dankickyou said:

First of all Rokumi is a girl. And second of all, Godzilla has got his ass kicked by the JSDF about five times already.

pffft total plot induced stupidity moment!
The Art of Eight
Dec 10, 2014 11:06 PM

Aug 2014
dankickyou said:
MechaKiryu said:

pffft total plot induced stupidity moment!
What?
Dec 10, 2014 11:53 PM

Feb 2013
Every time this thread gets bumped, there's always plenty of laughs.

"I don't want to be a puppet."

"I'm not a barbarian."

"I don't wanna hurt people."

Thanks guys.
Fiction-S said:
I'll take whatever I can to fly those sweet F-18's and F-22's. Too bad I don't have 20x20 vision. There is still surgery.
It also requires a college education either while you're in or out. You have to be commissioned as an officer in order to fly in the USAF or the Navy. The Army and the Marines have an exception for enlisted men and women in the form of the Warrant Officer program which you can become eligible to be selected for once you reach E5 in either branch. You can then be selected for or apply for Warrant Officer flight training. No guarantees that you'll get in, but it's a possibility. WOs can also be commissioned as Officers too, though it doesn't happen a lot.
NTADDec 11, 2014 12:13 AM
Dec 10, 2014 11:56 PM

Nov 2011
NTAD said:

"I'm not a barbarian."

Thanks guys.

they just watched Full Metal Jacket brah!
The Art of Eight
Dec 11, 2014 12:02 AM
Jul 2018
I had this classmate in English 100 (Freshman Composition) who is a veteran (formerly a Marine or should I say always a Marine?).

I don't know what bothers him, but I do know that it's a mistake to ask if he's ever killed anyone.

He's beaten people.

So out of respect never ask such a question to anyone who's served.

(College is such a diverse and wonderful place to hear such stories. )

NTAD said:

Fiction-S said:
It also requires a college education either while you're in or out. You have to be commissioned as an officer in order to fly in the USAF or the Navy. The Army and the Marines have an exception for enlisted men and women in the form of the Warrant Officer program which you can become eligible to be selected for once you reach E5 in either branch. You can then be selected for or apply for Warrant Officer flight training. No guarantees that you'll get in, but it's a possibility. WOs can also be commissioned as Officers too, though it doesn't happen a lot.

Thanks.

Yeah I'm currently attending college right now.

Though I thought the Air Force would provide the education for that.
Well, maybe only the flight training, but perhaps the Calculus and Physics (basically the mechanical engineering degree).

I'll look more into it.
removed-userDec 11, 2014 12:08 AM
Dec 11, 2014 12:07 AM

Jan 2013
dankickyou said:
NTAD said:

"I'm not a barbarian."

Thanks guys.

Show me your war face Private!

Dec 11, 2014 12:11 AM

Nov 2011
VitaminCaim said:
dankickyou said:

Show me your war face Private!

Yes Sir!

The Art of Eight
Dec 11, 2014 12:16 AM

Feb 2013
Fiction-S said:
Thanks.

Yeah I'm currently attending college right now.

Though I thought the Air Force would provide the education for that.
Well, maybe only the flight training, but perhaps the Calculus and Physics (basically the mechanical engineering degree).

I'll look more into it.
The Air Force can provide the college education. They have a school in Colorado for that. It's just that they require you to have a Bachelor's Degree at the minimum to be commissioned an officer. The flight training is always provided, as long as you're trying to become a pilot. Not all AF officers become pilots.

Part of my reason for joining the Army was mostly because I wanted to fly the AH-64 or the D (Longbow) variant. I grew up playing combat simulators on my PC. Jane's Longbow was my favorite and there was an M1 Abrams sim I played a lot too.

It wasn't until I got in that I found out how hard it would be. Rank progression in the Army is slow and more about time passing than anything when you're not deployed in a combat zone. The average time it takes just to reach E5 is 4-5 years and I didn't plan to stay in for life. Anyway, I didn't know that until after I spoke about it to my Drill Sergeant after I was in. My recruiter was the one who told me about the WO program, but he of course left out the time required to be eligible, let alone the fact that there's no guarantee you'll be promoted. Basically, he had a great sales pitch.

It didn't dissuade me though. I got to join a tank crew. Can't go wrong with tanks.

I'll also mention to you if you didn't know that the Raptor program has been discontinued. While you may still be able to fly one (if you make it), it was tossed in favor of the F-35 program. The plane was deemed too cost inefficient.
NTADDec 11, 2014 12:21 AM
Dec 11, 2014 12:25 AM
Jul 2018
Four to Five years in order to rank up and not all AF officers become pilots.

So basically I have to have to be a genius to pilot.

Well I guess I can still look into it.
Dec 11, 2014 12:30 AM

Feb 2013
Fiction-S said:
Four to Five years in order to rank up and not all AF officers become pilots.

So basically I have to have to be a genius to pilot.

Well I guess I can still look into it.
Not a genius. Just not an idiot. And yeah, that's about how long it will take, but you'll have a better shot than I did if you complete your degree in whatever your major is and get that eye surgery. My parents got lasik and apparently, it really works.

I'd have had to put in 4-5 years as an enlisted man before even just being eligible for WO selection and then even after that there was still the flight training. I was looking at a long-term commitment I wasn't interested in making. But hey, I was young and didn't do my research. Joke was on me.
Dec 11, 2014 1:23 AM

Apr 2012
yazio said:
I wouldn't join my country's army, but I heard good things about USA's Marines. GL there, are you planning to go as a Medic or as a different unit?

Good things about the US Marines? They're among the most poorly trained of all the Western world.
Dec 11, 2014 9:55 AM

Jan 2014
I was originally going to join as an officer in the (British) army, but then I thought how can I possibly do that when I can't go up the stairs without getting out of breath.
Dec 11, 2014 11:41 AM
Feb 2014
AIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

-Nelly
Dec 11, 2014 11:44 AM

May 2014
I doubt I could join the army, my eyesight is quite bad,
I've been here way too long...
Dec 11, 2014 12:00 PM
Jun 2014
I wanted to join once but then I remembered that I like being a free man

'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you?

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

20 by FFandMMfan »»
6 minutes ago

» Top 10 most iconic manga creators objectively ranked

AlphaMaleScotty - 7 minutes ago

0 by AlphaMaleScotty »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » representation or relatability ?

soniyay - Yesterday

27 by Adnash »»
10 minutes ago

» Akira Toriyama or Hayao Miyazaki

AlphaMaleScotty - Yesterday

10 by AlphaMaleScotty »»
10 minutes ago

» what brings the best and worst things about you?

deg - Apr 13

8 by MiniSweetDessert »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.