Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: What branch would you serve in(or served)?

Jun 16, 2014 3:26 PM
I wanted to join the Air Force when I was in high school. My dad served for 25 years, did less than 3 years in Nam and I did ROTC in high school. I wouldn't have done it for service for country, but just to see the world and kick some ass and get laid on the way. Unfortunately, reoccurring knee injuries since I was 8 (from Tae Kwon Do and soccer) and bad vision made me 4F. I was hoping to do it to pay me through college and all that. This was shortly before 9/11 when they weren't making their recruiting quotas. Now I heard it's hard to get in because all branches are exceeding them and their requirements are getting increasingly stricter.

Jun 16, 2014 3:32 PM

Nah I didn't want to risk my life that much

Jun 16, 2014 3:32 PM

RandomChampion said:
I'm trying to get into the navy as a flight surgeon. I swear, MEPS is so bad that by the time they do everything properly ill be in my last year of medical school - and this is including the fact that I'm basically perfectly healthy and in better shape than most of the other people there looking to join.
A lot of people look at the training as a free workout club. They don't realize until they get started that a lot of it is designed to test/build your stamina/endurance as opposed to strength building. If you've got flab to work off, it can get really miserable really fast. It was funny watching the really out of shape guys get completely worked over in the dust pits.

Jun 16, 2014 4:08 PM

Zarbz said:
The royal family do fack all and live in luxury while millions work extremely hard to earn a living. Fighting for my country means fighting for the royal family. Why should I kill or die for such people?

You realize that they don't actually run the country right?

....they don't hold much significance to the country at all.

That's like saying I won't fight for my country because I know of some twats who live here.

Jun 16, 2014 4:16 PM
Poitato__Shark said:
Zarbz said:
The royal family do fack all and live in luxury while millions work extremely hard to earn a living. Fighting for my country means fighting for the royal family. Why should I kill or die for such people?

You realize that they don't actually run the country right?

....they don't hold much significance to the country at all.

That's like saying I won't fight for my country because I know of some twats who live here.

It's so much about them running it or not. It's about them doing fak all. Blood? Pwaahaha. Bakana! They piss and shit just like everybody else. What gives them the right to do nothing?
Modified by Kaiwaiikillah, Jun 17, 2014 8:31 AM
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'

Jun 17, 2014 7:22 AM

Yeah killing Talibans with an helicopter fucking royal family sitting on their asses all day.

Jun 17, 2014 8:28 AM

I used to know a couple of marines when i was little and heard stories from them so when i was 16 i tried to enlist for the marines but at the time they where having budget cuts so could not hire new staff.
A year later i considered to army but i never applied.

Thinking back on it it's a good thing i never joined i don't have the mentality to be a soldier.
I already hate it when i get a manager who is to bossy let alone a higher officer, it would have ended pretty badly.

Jun 17, 2014 8:33 AM

It was once a childhood dream of mine to join the military.
Modified by Xynic, Jun 17, 2014 10:14 AM
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou

Jun 17, 2014 10:12 AM

it has its ups and downs, its really no different then a civilian job except a couple obvious things here and there lol. now serving in a Foreign military is by far a great experience and by far one ill never forget.

its not for everyone and its one of the toughest jobs/careers you can choose to do. i really say go for it if you want adventure and service to your country. however i do have one bit of advice, dont trust recruiters for shit. they only give half truths that border line lies. you are just a paycheck to them. go their knowing what you want to do and where you want to do it. if you go there knowing everything about your Pmos and Smos and all the requirements then there is no way they can milk you. oh and another thing, never go in on a open contract like they always try to make you do or put your Mos at Motor T....biggest way to land the shittiest job for the next 4 years while the recruiter laughs his ass off with a bigger check in his pocket...
"What a pitty, for such a intelligent young lady to be so brain washed by the organization...but ill be happy to respond to your lecture, unfortunately the real world isnt always so black and white..little claymore" Teresa Of The Faint Smile.

https://www.facebook.com/InappropriateOperator

Jun 17, 2014 10:25 AM

if your wondering what a "open contract" is, its when you agree to fit the needs of the military. say you want to be 11 Bang Bang(army term for Combat Infantry) or 0311(Marine Term for Combat Infantry" but you sign a open contract, then you can kiss that goodbye. if the military needs a cook they will put you as a cook for the next 4 years.

Motor T is military Transports, they handle all vehicle maintenance and transportation. pretty much bitching POGS "People Other Than A Grunt". the recruiter will try to make you put that as your mos under the excuse it will get you to boot or basic faster then you can switch over to grunt but what he fails to tell you is that hardly happens....
"What a pitty, for such a intelligent young lady to be so brain washed by the organization...but ill be happy to respond to your lecture, unfortunately the real world isnt always so black and white..little claymore" Teresa Of The Faint Smile.

https://www.facebook.com/InappropriateOperator

Jun 17, 2014 11:03 AM

I was joining the UK Army when I was 16, I passed all my tests and was about to take my training at base but I pulled out last minute because i decided to party in college for 2 years beforehand. I just finished college now and thinking about it I told the Sargent I'd come back and re-join D: Not happening though I cba.

I wouldnt say do it for your country or whatever, tbh when i signed up i wasnt doing it for anyone else, my reasons where entirely selfish. I just wanted to have fun and experience war firsthand. If I had gone I'd be in Afghan fighting right now, glad I changed my mind.

Do whatever you want its your life and good luck. My mate joined the army and dropped out after 6 months due to how hard it was. Another mate of mine is in the navy and he said the first 6 months is hell but he lives being at sea soooooo yeah

Jun 17, 2014 1:50 PM

Kibura_Iburasa said:
KiraieAeterna said:
like why do you want to be part of an organization which kills people for a living, stirs shit up and are basically used as pawns by politicians/leaders who go to wars for mainly selfish reasons.

I'm sorry but you are human, you belong to the human race and thats exactly what humans do. You're not just part of an organization that do this, you are part of a race that does it.

Yes, I know I can't exactly "stop being human" but I can choose whether or not to join the sector within society which is spear heading the campaign of death and destruction so forgive me if I don't want to be part of that :P

Jun 17, 2014 2:05 PM

KiraieAeterna said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:

I'm sorry but you are human, you belong to the human race and thats exactly what humans do. You're not just part of an organization that do this, you are part of a race that does it.

Yes, I know I can't exactly "stop being human" but I can choose whether or not to join the sector within society which is spear heading the campaign of death and destruction so forgive me if I don't want to be part of that :P

Its certainly your choice but we are defiantly surrounded by death, murder and destruction all the time its not just the army or military causing death around the world. Humans seem to be the problem, we got crime, corruption, sex trade, murders, psychopaths, religious fanatics, terrorism. Anyone can suddenly find themselves involved with violence against another human.

My problem lay with the military not been progressive enough, in 15 years we've just gone around in circles in the middle east, change requires much more forwards momentum and aggression. Also personally I don't do well sleeping in a room with loads of other guys because I rarely sleep. I also would fail any psych test and I hear there is still cases of bullying in the armed forces and with my Gender identity im not risking it. It would be dangerous to bully someone who is armed and a little unhinged.
Modified by Spooks, Jun 17, 2014 2:14 PM

Jun 17, 2014 2:37 PM

Kibura_Iburasa said:
KiraieAeterna said:

Its certainly your choice but we are defiantly surrounded by death, murder and destruction all the time its not just the army or military causing death around the world. Humans seem to be the problem, we got crime, corruption, sex trade, murders, psychopaths, religious fanatics, terrorism. Anyone can suddenly find themselves involved with violence against another human.

Ok, so metaphorically we may be "surrounded" by people dying because that's just nature but we still have a conscious choice on whether we're going to be the ones directly causing the deaths or not. And with joining the military, we all know that this organization IS killing people, it's not as if you're blinded or kept from the truth of it. no, you do know about it, and with people who have a choice and have different options in life, I don't see why they would consciously choose to be part of it when they know what they do. Others who may not have a choice in life, but through unfortunate events have no other paths but to join, then it's somewhat forgivable.
just because an organization wears a uniform and the government recognizes them that doesn't negate the fact that if people within said organisation kill humans, then they're enacting murder. sorry, but it's just fact. and if you consciously join said group, knowing of the things they do, then you're a party to the murder.

Jun 17, 2014 2:48 PM

Hell no. I'm not going to risk my life in some stupid war concocted by rich businessmen and politicians. Fuck that.

Jun 17, 2014 3:37 PM
At my age, I think it would be cool to join something like MSF lol

Jun 17, 2014 4:07 PM
I respect my country's military force. I respect every men and women out there fighting for his/her country, they are very brave people.

Sadly I do not have the balls to join the military, I am not man enough.

I know when you pass "boot camp", you get sent to "reserve"; but still you never know what will happen. There are many jobs in the military, but what if you don't make it; and get sent out? I admit it, I am afraid of losing my life.

THE RED KING

Jun 17, 2014 5:49 PM

Been enlisted in the army for 3 years, should have tried to go officer instead. I think people need to understand there is a large variety of careers in the military, currently in water purification and thinking of going into physical therapy once I get my degree. It's not all combat oriented.

Jun 17, 2014 6:04 PM

I'm enlisted in the USMC, and my ship date is July 21 2014. =^-^=
I'm all for it, a little nervous, but also excited.

Best of luck to any and all who are serving now, or planning to do so in the near future!

Jun 17, 2014 6:06 PM

GoldenGuard said:
I'm enlisted in the USMC, and my ship date is July 21 2014. =^-^=
I'm all for it, a little nervous, but also excited.

Best of luck to any and all who are serving now, or planning to do so in the near future!
I sincerely hope you get to experience this. It's one of the most unique things about the Corps.

Jun 17, 2014 6:21 PM

I have a good friend who really respects the military but doesn't want to join it...weird

Jun 17, 2014 6:23 PM

Silent-Knight said:
I have a good friend who really respects the military but doesn't want to join it...weird

He values his life more than the pride he would feel from serving... not so weird.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS

Jun 17, 2014 8:18 PM

FreshPrinceofMAL said:
Because of this I've gotten curious as to how you guys feel about joining the military. Would you join your country's military, and if so why and what branch?

While I haven't joined the military yet, I would think I'd feel nervous about it. Not toward basics but toward entering combat. Personally I'm a pacifist, so being ordered to shoot to kill would be a hard thing to do. That said if I do join I would look for a non combat MOS. Preferably something such as an engineer working with maintaining aircraft.

That said the branch I would join would be the air force. I believe they are the least likely to be involved with combat except for paratroopers, supply drops, jets and such. Instead of killing people I'll make sure the transportation for the guys who do that works. As for reasons why they would mainly be selfish. I come from a poor background so college is out of reach besides loans or a GI bill.

If I do enlist I hope to survive and strive for a bachelors when I get out. Possibly something in Physics,Engineering, or Criminology. The reason I say if I join is because I'm not sure if I'll be accepted. While I think I would pass the ASVAB quite easily, my physical health isn't the best. Grew up with asthma and was said to outgrow it, though haven't been strenuously straining my lungs with running. I also have eyesight problems and I'm flat footed.

Though I guess if times get rough they'll accept anyone who can be a target. I also fear that I won't be able to get a MOS that I want. That or once I've signed the dotted line they'll try assigning me somewhere else. My father served some time though it was back in the 60's. He's said many times once I sign they can put me wherever they need me.

Jun 18, 2014 5:15 AM
gombo said:
Been enlisted in the army for 3 years, should have tried to go officer instead. I think people need to understand there is a large variety of careers in the military, currently in water purification and thinking of going into physical therapy once I get my degree. It's not all combat oriented.

Water purification? Reminds me of that old Pauley Shore movie where he joins the army to do that

Jun 18, 2014 5:36 AM
Probably won't ever join. Since there probably will be nothing worth fighting for.

Jun 19, 2014 5:59 AM

ParaParaJMo said:
gombo said:

Water purification? Reminds me of that old Pauley Shore movie where he joins the army to do that

haha when I first visited my unit before leaving for basic training I was asked by at least 5 people if I had seen that movie. It was a little beyond my time so ended up having to find it somewhere streaming online. I might have to give it a rewatch some time

Jun 19, 2014 6:11 AM

Nvortex said:
Hell no. I'm not going to risk my life in some stupid war concocted by rich businessmen and politicians. Fuck that.

^I feel the same. There is zero benefit for one to be on the front lines dodging bullets. It's cannon fodder fighting cannon fodder basically.

Still, I think it's good to join for a few months to get training and useful skillsets for future emergencies.
A friend and I started ShoukoChan Anime T-shirts. We design modern and fashionable anime T-shirts you'd love to wear on a day out. Come check us out!

Jun 19, 2014 4:53 PM

The amount of ignorance that some of these posts contain astounds me.

Jun 19, 2014 11:10 PM

I honestly would not want to join the military though I am not a pacifist I don't really like to fight and have only ever gotten in one or two fights in my life and only to defend myself.

Jun 20, 2014 3:51 AM

I would want to join the military because I have nothing to live for and I don't know what to do with my life. What better way to put it to use by joining the military?
"It's our job as normal humans to make sure the potential on those misunderstood one is realized" - No Game No Life, Sora

Jun 20, 2014 1:00 PM

I considered joining the military when I was younger (air force or navy), but I decided against it for a couple of reasons such as discrimination against women in pretty much every position that doesn't suck and a doomed career, losing many of my freedoms and rights, my family being against it, etc.

Now that I'm no longer a brainwashed kid gullible enough to believe all that BS about serving my country and its people, I'm glad I didn't join.

Jun 20, 2014 3:41 PM

goulartknight said:
I would want to join the military because I have nothing to live for and I don't know what to do with my life. What better way to put it to use by joining the military?
Hmm well he quoted it so that means it has to be my original post. Off to join the military. See you all in 10 years.

Jun 20, 2014 3:54 PM

FreshPrinceofMAL said:
JD2411 said:
Why did you join?

Money, hate college, girls, family tradition, discipline, free education, etc.

MONEY? FREE EDUCATION? COUNT ME IN!!!

Jun 20, 2014 3:55 PM

Even if I was allowed to join I wouldn't.

Jun 20, 2014 3:59 PM

uvina said:
FreshPrinceofMAL said:

Money, hate college, girls, family tradition, discipline, free education, etc.

Also you get to dig trenches! Whoopee!

Jun 21, 2014 11:28 PM

NTAD said:
Wasabi said:
Wouldn't it be better to just join the National Guard? See a whole less amount of action... not like being in the active military sees that much action anyway.

Guard was among the first boots on the ground during Iraqi Freedom. Was part of an initiative to develop more combat veterans. It's a whole new military, brah.
My ARNG recruiter mentioned that over half of the troops deployed in Afghanistan right now are National Guard.

Anyways, for me, three of my four grandparents served (Army and Air Force) and my father was in the Navy. I tried to join the Marines a couple times but was disqualified on a technicality. Tried to join the Army National Guard just a few months ago, disqualified on same technicality which is still in effect.

The military is not an option for me, unfortunately.

I wanted Combat Medic, several things about the job seemed perfect for me.

Jun 22, 2014 4:52 AM

Syndiciate said:
uvina said:

Also you get to dig trenches! Whoopee!
No we don't do that anymore.

Jun 22, 2014 8:05 AM

Jackrabb1t said:
You mean like scooping guts back into your guys? I still tip my hat to anyone who can be a combat medic. Shit is rough. They do things for people that anyone else would cringe at. More human than human.

Jun 22, 2014 9:35 AM

NTAD said:
Jackrabb1t said:
You mean like scooping guts back into your guys? I still tip my hat to anyone who can be a combat medic. Shit is rough. They do things for people that anyone else would cringe at. More human than human.

Some of the stories I've heard from my instructors have been pretty crazy.

Jun 22, 2014 9:47 AM

FreshPrinceofMAL said:
NTAD said:

I heard a story from a TC (Tank Commander) once about a loader on his tank who was outside the hatch on his 240 when an RPG hit and sheared part of the armor off. He said the piece of armor sliced part of the back of the loader's head off and a nearby medic spent nearly 30 minutes trying to save him. It's one thing to be able to take life, but trying to save it, even under those circumstances, is a totally different game...and it sucks when you lose.

Jun 22, 2014 11:46 AM

NTAD said:
FreshPrinceofMAL said:

I heard a story from a TC (Tank Commander) once about a loader on his tank who was outside the hatch on his 240 when an RPG hit and sheared part of the armor off. He said the piece of armor sliced part of the back of the loader's head off and a nearby medic spent nearly 30 minutes trying to save him. It's one thing to be able to take life, but trying to save it, even under those circumstances, is a totally different game...and it sucks when you lose.
Yeah that's why when I get to my unit I'm going to try my best not to get to close to anyone since I don't want to have to deal with watching my friends get shot and possibly not being able to save them.

Jun 22, 2014 2:01 PM

FreshPrinceofMAL said:
Would you join your country's military, and if so why and what branch?

Congratulations on your decision; I hope things go well for you. I myself come from a long line of servicemembers from my home country. I am pretty much decided to follow my lifelong dream and join the military after I finish university. Most likely I will enlist because with the economy it is very difficult at the moment to get a commission. Also I feel like I would enjoy myself more in the enlisted officer (NCO) ranks.

I am probably joining the Air Force because it has many pros and almsot no cons; while the Army has a lot of things it needs to fix up.

Regardless of the opinion of many people, especially on the internet and Europe, I respect servicemembers greatly and amd the old-fashioned type who feels pride in the military, I feel that although there are many bad and stupid people in it, the good-hearted and intelligent people outnumber them.

I personally don't understand the "don't want to die for X country because I won't be worshiped on the news". Well you won't get worshiped on the news any way you die because you're not that special. sorry. If you survey 100 people who work in a career or service you will realize 90 or so of them aren't in it for others to recognize or glorify them; they feel its the right thing and it's where they belong. If you don't agree with that, its fine, all people ask for is respect in their career, work, lifestyle and views.

Same thing with people who say servicemembers serve "Obama" or some other politician. It is technically true, because the President is the ultimate commander in chief of the military; but the mission of the military is not, and never has been to be the president's errand boy, nor does the president have the authority to use the military as some kind of puppet, even if FOX news says so.

In short, yes I will be joining the USAF and I think it will be something I enjoy for the long term.

EDIT: I think there is a MAL club I joined for people in teh military, nobody really posts though and most of the users are guys who served in vietnam and all that lol, not many active duty. I love meeting military members who are as big an otaku as I am, the mix of culture and humor makes them real fun to be with.
Modified by Nakuke, Jun 22, 2014 2:06 PM

Jun 22, 2014 4:08 PM

Where'd this thread pop up from? Yeah active duty USAF here and just got back from Afghanistan couple days ago if you guys have been missing me~ :]

Been like 7 pages, anyone have any questions O.o?

Jun 22, 2014 6:21 PM

Lime_ said:
Where'd this thread pop up from? Yeah active duty USAF here and just got back from Afghanistan couple days ago if you guys have been missing me~ :]

Some people bumped it a few days ago I think (too lazy to see when exactly). Anyways what do you do in the AF?

Jun 25, 2014 3:22 AM

FreshPrinceofMAL said:
The amount of ignorance that some of these posts contain astounds me.

it astounds me too.
like wow, I cannot even.

Jun 25, 2014 4:21 AM

FreshPrinceofMAL said:
Lime_ said:

Some people bumped it a few days ago I think (too lazy to see when exactly). Anyways what do you do in the AF?

Ohh didn't see this sorry that was days ago x.x;;

Uh Battlefield Weather Forecaster - basically I deploy right along with the army and provide them with weather intelligence

Job mostly consists of sitting behind a desk and briefing pilots/commanders/bases of current conditions or recommendations for severe weather procedures - it's a little self important, because pilots can't fly without my brief so you've got a lot of "control"

As we attach to army units and go in with them, we go through a lot of additional training for room clearing, convoy ops, qualify on m4/m9 twice yearly, etc etc - I love what I do -

-'cause I'm like Hannah Montanna and get the best of both worlds: USAF branch of service, deploy with the army and support some awesome people (Being at an AF assignment/deployment waaaaay too stuck up)

Feel free to ask anything else

Jun 25, 2014 11:17 AM

marines. Marines. MARINES!

Jun 25, 2014 11:21 AM

Random question: would it be a bad idea for a trap to serve? I know they're technically allowed to, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea.

Jun 25, 2014 3:02 PM

LadyRenly said:
Random question: would it be a bad idea for a trap to serve? I know they're technically allowed to, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea.
I personally wouldn't have a problem with it but I think there would be a lot of discrimination against them, mostly from the people whom they'd share rank with. Can't say for sure though since I've yet to meet/hear of one in any branch.

Jun 25, 2014 4:43 PM

None, I don't want to kill people.

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »