Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2013 5:13 AM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Here we go again. Getting themselves beat to shit just to win at the end. It's getting kind of tiring by now. I would rather see the gold saints interfere or something. What the fuck are those guys doing anyway? They never even bother protecting Athena, what kind of lazy no fucks given saints are this guys?

Btw it seems ridiculous how they ended up in this episode fighting again with their cloths just fine and without needing recovering after all that. I get that this happened because the last arc was filler but the people making the anime should have had enough brain to make a transition episode where they get themselves healed and repair their clothes.
May 10, 2014 5:47 PM

Jun 2012
Ok I was right to take a break from this. I'm liking it a bit more now. And for some strange reason I like the opening, before I hated it, but now I was singing along with it. Hopefully I won't start to dislike this again.

And how could Athena turn down Poseidon? They were only uncle and niece in a past life. Pssh, she doesn't know what she's giving up.
Apr 27, 2018 9:11 AM

Jun 2016
Exposition galore! Seriously, the amount of exposition dumping this episode did was unreal. It was at a lightening pace and completely unnatural. "We are at a rich party for wealthy people for the most wealthiest but recently deceased man in the world who happens to have a 16 year old son who owns the seas and also has taken over as the head of the Solo family, now we're going to get him to run on about why he's doing the stuff he's doing for 10 minutes as well as the two's past, all well being centered around a flashback to an event that never even occurred or was hinted at in anime!", jeez. Currently it gives me memories of the awful start that Asgard had, even if this one is more interesting than Asgard was.

Apart from that and the obvious criticism that this arc seems to be going into the same direction as the last two, especially with Saori asking to be tortured instead of the people of the earth setting her up to be in the exact same role again, I think this is heading to a good place. The fights will have to be short seeing the episodes left meaning things won't be drawn out, and the literal plot and scenario is one of the most interesting things we've seen yet. As Saga predicted, Poseidon is trying to wage war and take over the land, I predict once he falls Hades may start to attack the weakened state of the world to take it all for himself. This is interesting, the people are suffering, we see clips of the world as we know it drowning at different levels, Poseidon himself is fairly unique, there are multiple perspectives of our heroes which have varying levels of understanding, and the setting of being in a pseudo under water place where the ceiling, or the sky is the top of the ocean is pretty wicked.

Poseidon's devilish smile when Saori said she would take the pain instead of the earth made me think he either is spiteful and wants to make her suffer while also feeling like he can't lose because he's so strong because of the line from earlier "how can there be a woman who DARES to refuse me?", or perhaps there's another layer to this. I do like the logic that he's keeping her alive because he wants to work with her, instead of against her because she has quite the powerful army. The destined to be in love part is a bit weird, but also something understandable as their fates are deeply connected. The fact that he has cute girl warriors under him is a good thing.

Monad said:
I would rather see the gold saints interfere or something. What the fuck are those guys doing anyway? They never even bother protecting Athena, what kind of lazy no fucks given saints are this guys?
It does no justice to the anime, but someone had previously posted that in the manga it states that the gold saints are supposed to stay at Sanctuary to protect it, whereas the bronze saints are supposed to travel with and protect Athena personally. I wish the anime made that more clear, or said it at all!

Monad said:

Btw it seems ridiculous how they ended up in this episode fighting again with their cloths just fine and without needing recovering after all that.
More than that, Hyoga, Ikki, and Shiryu are randomly missing, why?! Because I suppose this is how the manga went and we couldn't get an excuse for that. Oh yeah, and they randomly ran across the black whirlpool since Hilda and Freya found it in some old records. Imagine a cooling off episode where they all get healed, Shiryu gets the information about the black whirlpool from Old Master, and they get separated traveling there. That would have been nicer than it ended up as.
Apr 28, 2018 11:37 AM
Nov 2017
I'm at a complete agreement with gfsdfgsdgsdfgs, from Saori getting tortured agaaain to the fact that the cute warriors girls are a good thing.

I told some of my interrogants to the friend who reccomended the series to me (mostly about the fact that the saints didn't rest and also the clothes didn't repair yet) and he said that many questions are ansewered at the movies and additions (OVAs and so).

(I guess from here this counts as spoilers)
He also told me that timelines start to mess up from now on. Oh no.
Blue_CrownApr 28, 2018 11:44 AM
Apr 28, 2018 9:38 PM

Dec 2016
gfsdfgsdgsdfgs said:
literal plot and scenario is one of the most interesting things we've seen yet. As Saga predicted, Poseidon is trying to wage war and take over the land, I predict once he falls Hades may start to attack the weakened state of the world to take it all for himself. This is interesting, the people are suffering, we see clips of the world as we know it drowning at different levels, Poseidon himself is fairly unique, there are multiple perspectives of our heroes which have varying levels of understanding, and the setting of being in a pseudo under water place where the ceiling, or the sky is the top of the ocean is pretty wicked.

Poseidon's devilish smile when Saori said she would take the pain instead of the earth made me think he either is spiteful and wants to make her suffer while also feeling like he can't lose because he's so strong because of the line from earlier "how can there be a woman who DARES to refuse me?", or perhaps there's another layer to this. I do like the logic that he's keeping her alive because he wants to work with her, instead of against her because she has quite the powerful army. The destined to be in love part is a bit weird, but also something understandable as their fates are deeply connected. The fact that he has cute girl warriors under him is a good thing.

I think Kurumada did a good job with Julian Solo despite his figure being so powerful for a 16 years old. It was the same in the mangas. The bronze saints and Saori only had around 13 years old when the series started (galactic tournament). You have to make some mental gymnastics to get over it. xD

Diego45 said:
I'm at a complete agreement with gfsdfgsdgsdfgs, from Saori getting tortured agaaain to the fact that the cute warriors girls are a good thing.

I told some of my interrogants to the friend who reccomended the series to me (mostly about the fact that the saints didn't rest and also the clothes didn't repair yet) and he said that many questions are ansewered at the movies and additions (OVAs and so).

(I guess from here this counts as spoilers)
He also told me that timelines start to mess up from now on. Oh no.

Don't worry about timelines. It's not a thing in the anime (yet... Kurumada is still releasing Saint Seiya to this day).

As for the issues you guys pointed I agree with most of them. Saint Seiya is good, not great but good. It only became legendary on the next arc (OVAs).
SparkyonApr 28, 2018 10:34 PM
May 1, 2018 12:06 AM

Dec 2015
@gfsdfgsdgsdfgs Ahah, I had totally forgotten the sudden flashback to a manga scene. Until I rewatched the episode yesterday, I thought it was only shown in the comic.
Precision: I'm pretty sure Julian is the one interested in Saori. Poseidon on the other hand is Athena's eternal "rival" (coming from Athens' myth I guess).

The immediate regeneration of the Clothes, the disbanded group of brothers, the uselessness of Dohko/"roshi" are obviously due to this happening a few months (or a year?) straight after the Sanctuary chapter in the manga.
(where you actually see they were comatose a period of time following the "inner war").

Between Julian Solo's own character, Poseidon divine soul (he's the first god encounter, excluding movies), the mysterious General and the fact Kurumada even bothered to personally connect a few characters to this chapter, I never understood why it was so criticized (apart from the obvious ennemy territory invasion recycling).

@Diego45 Most questions here are born from the way the anime lands ungraciously back on the manga's next chapter. I don't see how anything was cleared out in movies (still, you ought to watch Abel's movie "Shinku no shônen" for aesthetical and directional values) or in anim@ted Hades.
Timeline wise: everything up to the end of Hades is supposed to happen more or less between 85 and 90.

@Sparkyon How did they succeed to compress the Poseidon 5or6tomes into 14 eps only? I never compared.
Rei_IIIMay 1, 2018 12:32 AM
May 1, 2018 2:01 AM

Jun 2016
Rei366 said:
Ahah, I had totally forgotten the sudden flashback to a manga scene. Until I rewatched the episode yesterday, I thought it was only shown in the comic.
Precision: I'm pretty sure Julian is the one interested in Saori. Poseidon on the other hand is Athena's eternal "rival" (coming from Athens' myth I guess).

This was a great post, thank you. I refer to Saori as Saori not Athena, as do many characters in the show. Despite this I was looking at Julian as solely Poseidon rather than being in the same situation as Saori, being a reincarnation but at the same time an individual.
May 1, 2018 11:07 AM
Nov 2017
Rei366 said:

Most questions here are born from the way the anime lands ungraciously back on the manga's next chapter. I don't see how anything was cleared out in movies (still, you ought to watch Abel's movie "Shinku no shônen" for aesthetical and directional values) or in anim@ted Hades.
Timeline wise: everything up to the end of Hades is supposed to happen more or less between 85 and 90.

Oh, I see. Well, thank you for your reply, now it's fully clear for me how the series go. I will take in count your recommendation too :)
Mar 19, 2019 4:16 PM
Feb 2016
I had to giggle when West Germany was mentioned early in the episode and happy to see the quality of the English sub has returned to baseline. From how it was during the Asgard arc, I have the impression that the sub I was watching is done by auto-translate from Spanish or French, with all the the thou's and adjectives after nouns and the occasional Latin term. My favourite was when Marin's name was sometimes changed to Navy!

I thought at first that Poseidon would turn out to be the evil puppet master that controlled both Saga and Hilda. As it seems now, I was wrong.

What I enjoy the most about this anime is to find the references to mythological episodes and this arc promises to deliver these in abundance. As @Rei366 mentioned, Athena and Poseidon are myth rivals. They competed over the naming of Athens through a creation contest, where Poseidon made a horse and Athena the olive tree. Guess who's won? Then there are all the references to the Odyssey, the hero's journey, which is now Seiya's. Here too the two deities are at odds with one another, with Athena supporting Odysseus, and Poseidon putting obstacles in front of him. One of these is Charybdis, a ship-swallowing monster that is often depicted as a whirlpool like the one shown in this episode. We saw two references to the enchanting song of the sirens, first at the end of the Asgard arc with Siegfried, like Odysseus, trying to cover his ears to avoid falling into the trap of the aptly named Gold Marine Siren, and then with the female marine Thetis who, by the way, is Achilles' mother in the Iliad and a minor sea deity. I wonder if Achilles will appear as one Poseidon's marines and some how related to Thetis. As for Athena being Poseidon's niece in myth, well, it wouldn't be the first time either anime or Greek mythology cross that line, now would it?
Jun 19, 2021 9:49 AM

Apr 2013
SWEET HOME ALABAMA~~~

Jokes aside, not really bothered by the incest overtones in this episode. I mean, this is Greek mythology inspired after all - in fact, the lack of such until now was what surprises me the most in hindsight.
Dec 27, 2021 2:50 PM
Jun 2020
My favorite Saint seiya saga has begun
Nov 23, 2022 6:38 PM
Jan 2022
The Final of Asgard
Apr 16, 11:19 PM

Nov 2015
gfsdfgsdgsdfgs said:
This is interesting, the people are suffering, we see clips of the world as we know it drowning at different levels

Does that include Seiyas orphanage along with the girl he likes...
does that include saoris butler in the mansion too?
let's not forget the other knights that trained along with Hyoga, ikki, Shun, Ryu and seiya right? 🤔
also marin and Sheena weren't present anymore with the guys and Hilda 🤔
gonna check out the manga to see how this really connects to the sanctuary arc because there too much crap here 😮 3/5.

💢

More topics from this board

Poll: » Who is your favorite Gold Saint?

removed-user - Aug 12, 2022

18 by Ex-Aid »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 104 Discussion

Albi-kun - Mar 19, 2015

4 by Berry-Vodka »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 105 Discussion

Monad - Dec 9, 2013

7 by Berry-Vodka »»
Yesterday, 2:00 PM

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 112 Discussion

Monad - Jan 13, 2014

4 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 18, 11:10 AM

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 111 Discussion

jr_paperbag - May 27, 2012

3 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 18, 10:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.