Forum Settings
Forums

Mangaka Changes Shingeki no Kyojin's Ending Due to Popularity

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

Dec 6, 2013 10:26 PM

I kinda figured something like this would happen I'm sure the manga will probably drag on a lot longer than it needs to now as well. As if this new fan base haven't ruined this series enough now they're actually having an effect on the material itself...expect more juvenile memes, shipping, and yaoi elements to be added to the manga to please the anime bandwagon thats comprised of former narutards.

Dec 6, 2013 10:27 PM
hmmmm, well that gives me some hope that everyone won't end up dead! I think it's good that he's keeping his options open at least.

Dec 6, 2013 10:34 PM

What is "the new ending" means? The "everyone miraculously resolved all of the problems & live happily ever after" ending?
I think he should end it with the "original" ending. Because I do not like the sound of "influencing his decision is the popularity the series has gained from its anime and upcoming live-action movie adaptations" ending.
Modified by Pat_To_Do-List, Dec 6, 2013 11:12 PM
I like anime.

Dec 6, 2013 10:54 PM

Titans are all wiped out. Everybody goes home with smile on their faces.

We're done with this, gentlemen.

Dec 6, 2013 11:03 PM

if he was thinking about killing everyone, pls don't go back on this idea.

Dec 6, 2013 11:03 PM

I dislike it when creators think of pandering to audiences with "safer" routes instead of going with what originally they thought was the most suitable ending. :/ Sometimes, the most controversial endings are the ones that resonate with us most. I'm sure the author will think this through though.

Dec 6, 2013 11:04 PM

AiCon said:
Saving Private Ryan had
and that movie is still considered one of the greatest.
saving private ryan = greatest movie? wat LOL

Dec 6, 2013 11:07 PM

I'm hoping for satisfying one.

Dec 6, 2013 11:15 PM

Regardless of whether he changes or not, I hope the ending was satisfying.

Dec 6, 2013 11:16 PM

Spoilers for numerous movies and other shows have been tagged. Please don't spoil!
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Dec 6, 2013 11:18 PM

rodac said:
Spoilers for numerous movies and other shows have been tagged. Please don't spoil!
That wasn't a real spoiler for Signs..

Dec 6, 2013 11:28 PM

Red_Keys said:
rodac said:
That wasn't a real spoiler for Signs..

He was just being very careful. Can't blame him though. He's just doing his job without monetary charges in return.

Dec 6, 2013 11:31 PM

Pathetic shounen ending inc, I hope he sticks with original idea.

Dec 6, 2013 11:33 PM

Just do it the way you like it.....

Dec 6, 2013 11:39 PM
:D

Don't think he should let fans affect the ending to HIS manga. He's done a pretty damn good job so far. He should just stick with what he had in mind.

Dec 6, 2013 11:40 PM
Lolwut.

He already has an ending in sight and the manga does not even feel like we are a third of the way through.

Dec 6, 2013 11:40 PM

Actually, I am expecting a news about this Manga later on saying "Mangaka decided to change and prolong Shingeki No Kyojin Due to Popularity" Well, It's not really that impossible. His Manga is actually making some cash out of it lately so i'm thinking, monetary and business wise, the Mangaka or the Agency instead where he is in is planning to make this a mainstream long-runner shounen like Naruto, Bleach etc.

HAHAHA. That would be a terrible change of events though but who actually knows?
Money ACTUALLY is the deal here.

Dec 6, 2013 11:52 PM
ChronosXIII said:
Lolwut.

He already has an ending in sight and the manga does not even feel like we are a third of the way through.

He's probably outlining his entire story but it's for the best that manga doesn't run too long. Anyway I figure at this point he's looking to milk it a bit so expect some sharp dips in quality of the manga. I also think that he might have been thinking about killing off Mikasa for good measure, but with how many people fapping to her right now he probably won't risk poking that bee hive.

Sourire said:
AiCon said:
Saving Private Ryan had
and that movie is still considered one of the greatest.
saving private ryan = greatest movie? wat LOL

Yeah it is considered one of the greatest movies.. not sure why you think otherwise.
Modified by GD1551, Dec 6, 2013 11:57 PM

Dec 6, 2013 11:56 PM

he said that he was planning a tragic ending but grew attached to his own characters and he doesn't want to kill them off anymore...

Dec 7, 2013 12:09 AM

Ohh... :/ Isayama-sensei should go for his original ending. :/

Dec 7, 2013 12:19 AM

Hmm interesting...

I'd expected a bad end though.

Dec 7, 2013 12:21 AM
Clouded-Flame said:
he said that he was planning a tragic ending but grew attached to his own characters and he doesn't want to kill them off anymore...
No, he changed it because fans - mainly from the anime - would get butthurt if everyone died, so he decided to give everyone a Disney ending.

Dec 7, 2013 12:27 AM
more titan,more gore,more blood,more action,and more levi...
nice

Dec 7, 2013 12:28 AM

D-gen-X said:
omg I am starting to hate the Word mainstream now..

Dead space 3 , Mass effect 3 and now SNK... dang

Hey! Dead Space 3 was badass! That's one of my favorite games of all time lol!

Dec 7, 2013 12:36 AM

Being swayed to change the ending specifically because of series's popularity is kind of worrying. But who knows? Maybe this new idea is something good.

Dec 7, 2013 12:47 AM

Hmm I don't know...to me it sounds like "I'm getting crushed under the pressure of creating a fitting end to a super popular series so I'm just telling you this in advance. Anyway here's ending A. Hope you like it...oh you didn't like? Well to be honest I changed it a bit from my original idea so here's ending B. Hope you buy it."

*shrugs*

Killing off characters just to go for grimdark ending is equally bad as rainbows and butterflies ending. Doesn't matter if it's going to be a tragic end or a Disney end. Within reason, let the characters that are supposed to die, die and let those who have to live, live.

But hey the story's okay so far so I don't have any reason to stop reading (yet).
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."

Dec 7, 2013 12:49 AM

Kazzooey said:
I REALLY hope he sticks with his original idea and not reform it just because of how popular it got.

Yeah, I want to see the ending HE wanted, and not the FANS want.

Shih said:
I didn't even think that the manga would end any time soon. Talking about the ending already?!

Mangaka said that he is going to keep SnK short, and it's always better to have an ending planned out rather than not.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control

Dec 7, 2013 1:14 AM

Let me repost a conversation I had in the manga subforum:

Nidhoeggr said:
hentai_proxy said:
Nidhoeggr said:
JizzyHitler said:
So wait, dropping the ending that killed everyone off for shock value is a bad thing how?

I agree, shock value alone is worth nothing. To pull off an ending where everyone dies requires a skill that I don't think the mangaka has atm. Whatever new ending he came or comes up with, I hope he feels confident enough in his skills to achieve the best result possible for him.

Indeed, it is a skill almost nobody has, simply because most stories cannot support it as anything other than shock value. Even if you do set it up as a resting point in story progression, it will still feel contrived in the majority of cases.

What bugs me more is the herds of people outraged at the notion that a bloody shock ending will (probably) not take place. I understand it as part of this misguided impression of exaggerated tragedy as high art instead of the base torture lust it really is.

True, Shingeki has always been about gore and violence service as well and the reactions of the fanbase are a sight to behold. Oh well, at least I can hope he will actually publish details of the original ending after Shingeki is over so that we can compare the initial with the realized concept. THAT would be more interesting than all this pointless talk right now.

Nothing else to add so far. I think parts of the fandom should grow up and stop whining about a shafted ending that sounded like it was really just cheap fanservice and shock value for the sake of being "grimdark". But then again, maturity in these kind of stories on the storytelling level is something much harder to achieve than on visual basis alone...
Still, if he actually manages to write a sufficient ending that ends with the entire main cast dying he should go ahead and stop caring about fans who will never be pleased anyway.
Modified by Nidhoeggr, Dec 7, 2013 1:21 AM
Stone Ocean adaption when?

Dec 7, 2013 1:15 AM

I personally think that he should keep the ending the same....as long as Mikasa lives.

I'll keep smiling brightly at you.
Even when you hurt me.

Dec 7, 2013 1:21 AM
He should just stick to whichever ending he feels is best and necessary for the story. He shouldn't let the popularity of his series and his fans ultimately decide its fate and influence the story. For me, as long as he wraps things up nicely and smoothly and gives it an appropriate ending, I'll take whichever ending he gives us. And it'd be neat if he included both endings, like one where it's the ending he chose and the alternate as an extra or something, just to see what ideas he had. And who knows, he might opt for a third ending or whatever.

Dec 7, 2013 1:29 AM

If every one dies in the ending, it could actually be pretty cool as long as it's pulled off well. But honestly, I'm sure most people would prefer a "humans are victorious over titans" type of ending and I'd probably do as well.
The most important thing for the conclusion is to answer all questions and resolve all the loose ties. If it does that successfully, then I'll probably be satisfied anyway. Also, the ending has to be epic and considering how SnK has been up till now, it shouldn't let me down on that front.

Anyway, what's up with the title? In the OP it's clearly written that he's just thinking about changing it...
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...

Dec 7, 2013 1:37 AM

Minagatachi said:
AiCon said:
Yeah, but the whole point of the movie was
Well the point of Attack on Titan is to attack Titans. And so they did. :O

But to be serious, I can think of many ways killing all characters and still have a decent or great ending would work. Even if the main cast ends up dead, they could just sacrifice themselves to save humanity. Or maybe humanity is just an old relict, a dying race that can't that didn't evolve the right way. Races die out all the time, why should humans live for ever and ever?
And now time for a betraylaton against IntroverTurtle. There are many anime where most or all main characters (and sometimes the whole world) end dead and are still regarded as good anime:

Dec 7, 2013 1:45 AM

This usually spells disaster when the creative mind begins to become conflicted bc of "popularity".

It's irrelevant if the majority of the cast is killed off or not. Just tell the story as it was envisioned and don't get side tracked by the tweens.

Dec 7, 2013 1:45 AM

So I guess the original ending was our heroes finally reaching Eren's basement only to find a red room with a dwarf in a suit behind the door. Then all kinds of weird happens.
D-gen-X said:
omg I am starting to hate the Word mainstream now..

Dead space 3 , Mass effect 3 and now SNK... dang

What? Mass Effect 3 ending failed exactly because authors decided to go against mainstream as far as they could with a totally shitty "edgy" and "artsy" idea of theirs that made no sense.

Dec 7, 2013 1:55 AM

Meh, I'll be probably be fine with it anyway, so no worries..... unless it sucks.

Dec 7, 2013 2:16 AM
DB Admin Offline
What a horrible idea.
open.staff.applications  
guidelines.faq  
report.abuse

Thx Kina.

[H+] ³  

Dec 7, 2013 2:27 AM

Stick with the original. Changing your story almost never turns out good. We saw that With Naruto for example. I think Death note is one too.

Dec 7, 2013 2:31 AM

Sad news. He should go with his original ending. I am sure that is way better.

Dec 7, 2013 2:33 AM

This could be good or bad. Hopefully this isn't another everyone lives happily ever after the end. I do want it to be a good ending though, although a sad ending would make sense for the anime being that it's a rather depressing world to begin with. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing some more character development between Mikasa and Eren in the second season and for the story to be wrapped up. I sure as hell don't want another claymore type ending, that anime was amazing, but the ending was so bad, left completely unfinished.
im a computer loving, anime watching nerd and i could never be happier :D

Dec 7, 2013 2:33 AM

I smell pandering. But meh, hopefully it will be a better ending than the one he originally planned.
Modified by RedgraveGilver, Dec 7, 2013 2:40 AM

Dec 7, 2013 2:47 AM
I think that the people in this thread are just temporarily mad at the fact that Isayama changes the ending without looking into it further. I swear, the SnK sub forum thread had a more logical and critical look into this matter.

And I agree with what the guys in that sub forum said also:

Killing off all characters at once for shock value alone isn't worth it. (This is how Isayama envisioned the original end)

Even if he goes with that route, let's just hope that the execution is well done, so far SnK hasn't disappointed it's readers, IMO.

I'm just hoping for a plausible bittersweet end.

Dec 7, 2013 2:55 AM

Why can't they change the ending but release the original ending later

Dec 7, 2013 2:57 AM

johnyjohny said:
Changing your story almost never turns out good. We saw that With Naruto for example.

What the fuck do you mean by this?

Dec 7, 2013 3:01 AM

tsudecimo said:
johnyjohny said:
Changing your story almost never turns out good. We saw that With Naruto for example.

Naruto was supposed to end before Shipuuden, but due the popularity Kishimoto was forced to continue the story without any idea what he even wanted to do. And now we see how this series outlived its good times long long time ago.

You won't I agree i guess, since you got a Shikamaru-Avatar.

Dec 7, 2013 3:01 AM

I disapprove of the particular reason he's thinking of changing it, but either way I just hope he makes a good one.

Dec 7, 2013 3:05 AM

Frontalbrise said:
tsudecimo said:
johnyjohny said:

Naruto was supposed to end before Shipuuden, but due the popularity Kishimoto was forced to continue the story without any idea what he even wanted to do. And now we see how this series outlived its good times long long time ago.

You won't I agree i guess, since you got a Shikamaru-Avatar.

Agree to what exactly? this not a matter of opinions. Give me a source of what you said. Like an interview with Kishi saying he didn't plan the time skip or that he prolonged Naruto because of it's popularity.

For example it's already known that Oda wanted to end one piece in 5 years.

Dec 7, 2013 3:08 AM
Hug Addict <3

My gut feeling says that in situations like this the author should always stay true to his own belief and not let the ignorant fanbase interfere with his work. I mean it's his manga for fucks sake, who are we to complain about where the story leads if that's what he wants?

That, and some super evil ending for everyone would be an interesting change of pace compared to what we usually get in anime, I would love to see some sort of disastrous conclusion where EVERYBODY DIES or so, that'd be awesome.

A cuddle a day keeps the pouting away~
"Holding hands is just the first step to getting pregnant"

Dec 7, 2013 3:13 AM
Imagine if Hajime Isayama didn't mention that he is thinking about changing Attack on Titan's ending on that interview.

He should just follow his heart and choose what is best :D

Damn, that's corny but it's true ;)

Dec 7, 2013 3:13 AM

I kind of hope he doesn't change it... Although it's great when mangaka listen to their fans, I would like something that is purely Isayama. Whatever he does, I just hope the ending doesn't suck and that all the questions are answered.

Dec 7, 2013 3:27 AM

Sorayin said:
I'm guessing that the original ending was too depressing for the fanbase which is now mostly composed of 12 year olds.

^this.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »