Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 4, 2013 12:28 PM
May 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Only 2 episode left :(
Why did they end this with a cliffhanger...
I had a feeling that Mesopotamia computer is
Oct 26, 2018 2:40 PM

Jan 2010
I think I figured why I'm enjoying Saber Marionette J as much as I am. The girls are robots, so being programmed for unconditional love is reasonable. However, they still have their maiden circuits, which allows them to act human enough to actually have character. The three marionettes are all really good friends, and while they love Otaru, they'd prefer Otaru loving them back equally rather than favoring one over the other. Compared to other harem shows, the harem route here feels viable and sensible.

Also, it's interesting to see Otaru constantly being saved. He's still scrappy as hell and is willing to put himself in danger to help the girls, but so far he has no special powers. He's extremely normal, but he still has a lot of guts. That makes his harem feel earned, where he actually puts in work to make sure everyone's safe, even if he's not actually doing much.

In some ways, this show is questionable where the girls' love unconditionally, but the girls still have their limits, which was actually surprising. Seeing them all leave that one episode was pretty painful, and it made them feel extremely human, in spite of being marionettes. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen this happen in other harem shows I've seen thus far, at least none that I can remember. While they're marionettes programmed to love unconditionally, they're neither blind nor mindless. Also, while they're all in love with Otaru, they'll still consider each other's feelings first, where they'd, at times, put each other before Otaru's affection. I find that to be really cool. It's kind of subtle, but these are probably some of the most human robots I've seen in anime, perhaps even more human than actual human characters.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Saber Marionette J Episode 20 Discussion

Zarnaav - Dec 2, 2013

3 by Soma_Shotgun »»
May 14, 2023 5:05 PM

Poll: » Saber Marionette J Episode 5 Discussion

Zarnaav - Nov 24, 2013

1 by Soma_Shotgun »»
Mar 6, 2023 1:09 PM

Poll: » Saber Marionette J Episode 1 Discussion

Zarnaav - Nov 22, 2013

3 by Djisas »»
Jan 7, 2022 5:15 PM

Poll: » Saber Marionette J Episode 25 Discussion

Zarnaav - Dec 5, 2013

4 by Fronzel »»
Nov 15, 2020 4:15 PM

Poll: » Saber Marionette J Episode 15 Discussion

Berry-Vodka - Dec 24, 2017

1 by Fronzel »»
Nov 13, 2020 6:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.