Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 4, 2013 12:29 AM

Nov 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So, at the end they gave no reason why Aguri lacked a birthday beyond being adopted. Yes, yes, I get Toei wants to drive home the point Aguri is ~mysterious~ and stuff, but you'd think "can transform with Ai-chan" or "randomly grows up when transforming" or "has dreams where Ange fights King Selfish" would be enough. Nope, she needs to lack a birthday in spite of that not being how school-aged kids work. Even if it's not her real birthday she'd need a date to use as a reference point for school years and stuff. Oh, and it's not she never had a birthday, is that she never had birthday cake. Apparently people at her school love Aguri, yet no one invited her to her birthday party. I think Toei forgot about this fact.

Speaking of things Toei forgot, this episode proves they forgot entirely about Ira's feelings for Rikka. Seriously, they had the perfect setting RIGHT THERE, with Regina being emo and Ira being alone with her, but nope, no mentions. Hell, they had Rikka and Ira interact in the fight and again nothing, somehow I get the feeling they DO remember but are trying to pretend that never happened so Regina can still be the speshful Selfish with feelings for Mana.

Mana, wow. This isn't your episode, so you shouldn't be the one saying your little post-transformation line we're all sick of, nor you should lecture Regina. Makoto got to sing to Regina and Arisu gave her a flower while pretending she was a Heartcatch character, yet Aguri does nothing in her episode. She didn't even get to use a special attack. Then again the whole plot of the episode, just like the previous two, came from Mana saying a thing and everyone else blindly following her. I thought Rikka, Arisu and Makoto were all smart and nice people, I see no reason why any of them couldn't give the idea of giving her a party now, or even having DB or another fairy say it. Seriously, it doesn't need to be Mana EVERY time. And things like that are why Saki is the superior Leo Pink Cure.

Lastly, the preview. First is another Aguri episode because Toei realized Aguri kind of got screwed out in this one thanks to Mana. But the problem is the premise is DUMB. Oh no, Aguri's grandma realized her granddaughter is Cure Ace! Never mind in THIS episode she saw the other 4 girls transform and Aguri outright told her that she was going to fight the Dabra Ant with them! And yet she didn't find out because she didn't actually saw Aguri transform. Of course, because her grandma is dumb, just like Toei thinks its viewers are. Seriously, it's not a thing that happened a few months ago like the Ira stuff, it happened in THIS VERY EPISODE. Wow.
Dec 4, 2013 5:30 AM
Sep 2011
ZettaiRyouiki said:
Apparently people at her school love Aguri, yet no one invited her to her birthday party. I think Toei forgot about this fact.

The problem is we don't know ANYTHING about Aguri's situation before being taken in by her grandmother. If it was less than a year, then perhaps none of her classmates have had a birthday party yet.

ZettaiRyouiki said:
Mana, wow. This isn't your episode, so you shouldn't be the one saying your little post-transformation line we're all sick of, nor you should lecture Regina. Makoto got to sing to Regina and Arisu gave her a flower while pretending she was a Heartcatch character, yet Aguri does nothing in her episode. She didn't even get to use a special attack.

It seems to me like they just took a break from the "Each person needs to present their feelings to Regina" plotline, otherwise the cake would have been for her instead of Aguri. Speaking of Aguri, Regina clearly has a grudge against her and the two barely know each other, so I kinda doubt it's gonna be Aguri's turn to suddenly love Regina and think she's a good person.

Speaking of plotlines that have been abandoned, I guess Ai-chan is past that whole impressionable stage huh? No longer needing to worry about raising her properly. She's just been scenery these past few episodes.

ZettaiRyouiki said:
Lastly, the preview. First is another Aguri episode because Toei realized Aguri kind of got screwed out in this one thanks to Mana. But the problem is the premise is DUMB. Oh no, Aguri's grandma realized her granddaughter is Cure Ace! Never mind in THIS episode she saw the other 4 girls transform and Aguri outright told her that she was going to fight the Dabra Ant with them! And yet she didn't find out because she didn't actually saw Aguri transform. Of course, because her grandma is dumb, just like Toei thinks its viewers are. Seriously, it's not a thing that happened a few months ago like the Ira stuff, it happened in THIS VERY EPISODE. Wow.

I thought it was kinda silly the way she chased her grandmother out and said she'd take c are of the giant ant. Then after it was beaten she said the Precure took care of it. Put two and two together people.

That whole scene where she convinces her Grandmother to let her go out there kinda bugged me. First she agrees when Mana and the other fourteen year olds say they'll handle the situation, then she agrees to let Aguri go back out there to fight the giant ant. Either she wins the next parent of the year award after Junko Kaname or she already knows Aguri is Cure Ace.

It's sad. I actually thought this was a really nice episode either way. Aguri's emotional talk with her grandmother in the kitchen was the sweetest thing, showing us that even though they're not biologically related, her grandmother wouldn't love her any less.
Dec 4, 2013 6:42 AM

Nov 2008
RLinksoul said:
The problem is we don't know ANYTHING about Aguri's situation before being taken in by her grandmother. If it was less than a year, then perhaps none of her classmates have had a birthday party yet.

Well, they would still need a birthday to decide which year she's in. The classmate thing isn't impossible, but fairly improbable since she's been around for a while. It's not too important, but it doesn't help to make this plot point feel even more forced, as there are already plenty of things pointing to Aguri being a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a red dress without adding the birthday thing.

RLinksoul said:
It seems to me like they just took a break from the "Each person needs to present their feelings to Regina" plotline, otherwise the cake would have been for her instead of Aguri. Speaking of Aguri, Regina clearly has a grudge against her and the two barely know each other, so I kinda doubt it's gonna be Aguri's turn to suddenly love Regina and think she's a good person.

Speaking of plotlines that have been abandoned, I guess Ai-chan is past that whole impressionable stage huh? No longer needing to worry about raising her properly. She's just been scenery these past few episodes.

Well, nothing wrong with taking a break, DokiDoki abuses the "chain of episodes about one Cure each" thing too much. Also Toei probably forgot Aguri is meant to hate Regina or she would've opposed Mana's undying worship for her at some point. Anyway my issue here was Mana stole the episode, instead of making it come like a joint effort or something.

Maybe Ai-chan suddenly got nicer, babies are weird sometimes. But yeah, it's pretty silly how Toei ditches storylines when convenient, can't wait until they enter Colosso. They also seem to have really forgotten Regina doesn't need someone to be selfish to turn them into a Selfish or else they would've shown her targetting a non-selfish random person by now. Selfish.

RLinksoul said:
I thought it was kinda silly the way she chased her grandmother out and said she'd take c are of the giant ant. Then after it was beaten she said the Precure took care of it. Put two and two together people.

That whole scene where she convinces her Grandmother to let her go out there kinda bugged me. First she agrees when Mana and the other fourteen year olds say they'll handle the situation, then she agrees to let Aguri go back out there to fight the giant ant. Either she wins the next parent of the year award after Junko Kaname or she already knows Aguri is Cure Ace.

It's sad. I actually thought this was a really nice episode either way. Aguri's emotional talk with her grandmother in the kitchen was the sweetest thing, showing us that even though they're not biologically related, her grandmother wouldn't love her any less.

Basically. Honoka's grandma knew her granddaughter was a Cure and didn't really seem to mind, but it's not like she brought it up to her either. We'll see how they handle it on a week, but the premise is already looking silly. Oh yes, that scene was pretty nice, I forgot to mention it but I liked.
Dec 4, 2013 12:35 PM
Jun 2011
only one episode until the christmas episode which is sound very promising
Dec 5, 2013 10:04 AM

Aug 2012
How did Makoto know when her birthday was because she was an orphan?
Dec 5, 2013 10:55 AM

Sep 2012
This episode was alright. I like when it focuses on Aguri a bit instead of us being constantly about Cure Ace like at first.

Next episode seems interesting. I get tired of transformation characters always trying to "keep the secret" I wonder how this will turn out.
Dec 5, 2013 12:19 PM

Jul 2012
elegantgeisha said:
Her parents probably had it written down or something.
Dec 6, 2013 12:30 AM

Nov 2008
ihateeveryone said:
elegantgeisha said:
Her parents probably had it written down or something.

Exactly. Birth certificates are a thing after all, so chances are Makoto just checked hers. Assuming Trump Kingdom does that, yeah.
Dec 6, 2013 2:45 PM

Jul 2012
Wow. Well to me I think it's one of the better ones even though the battle and the whacky IraRikka moment is present, Aguri x Regina = Marine Ange's future children are like.. Crashing on my head.

I wrote my "loose" theory list (some may not be true, which is why I call them "loose") for my DDPC friends (yes they like the season.. Hell any PreCure season no matter what) to read, and thought I share it here.

1. Since Regina and Aguri like sweets, and they look like Marine Ange/Cure Ace, this makes me think that they are the products of new life for Trump Kingdom... Like a pair of new princess. Marine Ange knew she is close to her limit and maybe spiritual age. So two pairs of Marine Ange is made.
2. However, King Jikouchuu knew this and to establish his own dream Turmp Kingdom (AKA by taking over), he needs a princess figure of the Trump blood, so Regina might be the black swan of the PreCures. And of course her heart can be recovered, but due to Jikouchuu amnesia gaining love hurts.
3. Since Aguri is an adopted/fostered child, this gives a heavier hint that she was transported to Earth earlier on to prevent from King Jikouchuu to turn Aguri into another Regina. To make sure that this is a secret, her old memories were wiped/fogged and replaced with new ones. This is why she does not know her birthday or her birth place.
4. Episode 43 will be filled with drama I bet. Her grandma will figure out that she's Cure Ace, but maybe she had a bigger reason for adopting Aguri.. I'm sure she will accept her even if she's a PreCure.
5. Not really related, but the theme of birthdays gives this great hint already: Who are really Aguri and Regina? Where they are born from? Are they part of Marie Ange's fragments? Etc. etc. That's why I think this is one of the better ones for that arc. Plus Aguri being a child as always.

In terms of birth certificates... Since like-said whacky theory, her baby body was transferred to Earth WITHOUT ANY SORT OF EVIDENCE to hide her true identity, so I guess she had a alternative certificate and jolt the possible birthday of fostering. Again, yea this is crazy. But since it's a kiddie show and such, I don't know if the youngsters care much, so I don't stress myself over a DDPC episode. There are bigger things that deserve to feel stress about.

(I can't wait till is over and Mana can have Regina. :I )

"Everyone go love Cyan!"
Dec 8, 2013 5:40 AM

Jan 2008
I'm still opting for the version in which Regina, Aguri and Ai are all parts of Marie Ange, whereas Regina is the brainwashed part "aquired" somehow by King Selfish, Aguri is the pure and good part that managed to escape but doesn't remember anything and Ai is her memory and consience, but still somewhat dormant. It sounds farfetched, yeah, but the entire plot with Cure Ace isn't the most logical piece of plot I saw in my entire anime watching experience...

Aguri's talking with her grandmother WAS the sweetest thing ever. On the other hand the forceful way she told her grandma to get back to the kitchen deserved a slap in the face. Okay, she's one kickass PreCure, but that doesn't mean she can be an ass to elderly, family on top of that. Also I'm bugged with the fact that Mana was the one to deliver another friendship speech. It makes sense that it's still too early for Aguri to be all accepting of Regina (I like that at least her point of view doesn't shift from 0% Approval to "I would die for you, Regina!"), but it was HER episode. Mana, get out.
And I'd still defend Ira/Rikka plotpoint actually being touched right now. I said what I think about it in previous episode discussion and in this one I felt Rikka was a) taking the responsibility of taking care of Ira, b) she only neutralized him, didn't inflict pain. Little things making the difference.
Mar 29, 2021 12:53 PM
Feb 2018
What up with this episode, why are so many of the shots so goofy looking. Yeah the top comments touched on plenty of things I wanted to say. I'm not a fan of how Mana just decided "lets have a party tomorrow!", I refuse to believe they could get every single preparation done in a day. Even if they did managed to do it, I'm surprised no one called Mana out on how bad that idea was. What about the restaurant? They reserved it in such short notice.

One of the funnier episodes with everyone trying to hide from Aguri. I really like Alice getting Sebastian to bail her out. And Sebastian's pun was pretty clever even though it probably didn't make sense in the end. (Hachimitsu = Honey, Himitsu = Secret)

Like to see the "missing parents" topic being tackled in Precure, and seeing how sweet Grandma and Aguri's relationship is. At least this kind of explains a few things even though it raises a few questions too. We still don't know Aguri's origins but we know why she's so "unusual", and doesn't really act her age for the most part.

I don't know how they're going to hide the fact that the Cures are public knowledge now. Like always the people don't question anything. Mana's family probably won't even ask about the Giant Ant. Good to at least have it acknowledged by Aguri's Grandma though. Speaking of that, the scene where Aguri told her Grandma to GTFO really rubbed me the wrong way. First off it's really rude to begin with. Second, how is her Grandma OK with that? Aguri is like 10. She really just let her 10 year old Granddaughter go back into the place with a monstrous sized ant? She looked so sad too during that scene too, like Aguri was hiding something from her.

This is impossible, they made Diamond do something useful! She and Sword has been pretty much in the background doing practically nothing for most of the episodes. Rosetta at least spammed her shield. Improvement right there.

When the fight was over, we saw that Aguri's Grandma brought a policeman over? The police was pretty chill considering he just got called over nothing. But another thing, what was he going to do even? The Ant was way bigger than a human. What was the police going to do about it if the Cures didn't stop it? "The Precure beat them!" Well done Aguri you just acknowledged the existence of Precure as well as expose yourself.

Next episode feels very much needed though, the Grandma is probably sus now of Aguri.
CWCMar 29, 2021 12:57 PM
Apr 13, 2023 7:54 PM
Jun 2020
The dumb part
ZettaiRyouiki said:
Basically. Honoka's grandma knew her granddaughter was a Cure and didn't really seem to mind, but it's not like she brought it up to her either. We'll see how they handle it on a week, but the premise is already looking silly.
The dumb part is that she acts clueless by the end of the episode and even got a police officer to help. If she really knew what was going on, she wouldn't have intentionally gotten innocents involved.

More topics from this board

Poll: » DokiDoki! Precure Episode 35 Discussion

ZettaiRyouiki - Oct 12, 2013

14 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:25 PM

Poll: » Dokidoki! Precure Episode 27 Discussion

Kaengel - Aug 4, 2013

20 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Nov 21, 2023 3:12 PM

Poll: » Dokidoki! Precure Episode 23 Discussion

symbv - Jul 6, 2013

31 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Nov 19, 2023 11:39 PM

Poll: » Dokidoki! Precure Episode 22 Discussion

FrozenLilith - Jun 29, 2013

29 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Oct 14, 2023 3:13 PM

Poll: » Dokidoki! Precure Episode 4 Discussion

symbv - Feb 23, 2013

27 by Archer2 »»
Jul 11, 2023 5:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.